We’re Too Young to Feel This Old (Chant & Hawk Closed)

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory Berry Flats We’re Too Young to Feel This Old (Chant & Hawk Closed)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Roach
    Participant

Chanterellepaw ~Thunderclan Apprentice

Why is it getting harder to breathe?’ She wondered, panic coursing through her veins as she runs recklessly through the wooden area. Her cyan orbs widen in fear, there was no destination in mind, all she knew was that she could not stay there any longer. Just thinking about what had transpired in camp caused her breath to hitch in her throat, stumbling over her paws. Crying out as she tumbles roughly through the snow, thankfully not running into any trees before her oh so graceful rolling comes to an end. A choked sob escapes her lips, her slender form trembling as she tries to contain her delicate emotions. Blinking away the few tears that clouded her vision, chest heaving rapidly as she glances around, trying to figure out where she was. The dried out shriveled bushes indicated she had stumbled upon the berry flats. Frowning as she stares at the once flourishing bushes filled with berries were now nothing more but empty twigs interwoven into shapes of bushes. Just the sight made her want to cry as the berry flats are one of her favorite places to go, especially when she craves something sweet. Just another reason to dislike leaf-bare.

Chanterellepaw has no energy to rise to her paws, no motivation to keep running. Instead she curls up into a ball, her tail wrapping tightly around her as she hugs herself. Biting down harshly on her lip to contain the sob that threatens to escape her. ‘Why…why did this have to happen!’ She moans softly, pain and grief seeping into her cherry fur. Flashes of the events that lead to where she currently laid now continued to play in her mind. Scrunching up her feminine features as she tries to stop the memory from surfacing, but her efforts were in vain.

‘It all happened within a second; in a blink of an eye. Chanterellepaw was doing her best to defend herself from a Riverclan warrior. She had originally tried escaping to the trees, not wanting to be caught in the cross fire of the fighting. Yet; luck was never on her side as Swiftstream was determined and had climbed after her. Chant was use to maneuvering through the trees, giving her the advantage in fighting against Swiftstream, but she lacked strength. The scuffle between the two lasted only minutes but felt like hours to Chanterelle. She remembers yelling at receiving a bite to her shoulder, clinging onto a branch with the Riverclanner above her. She remembers hooking her claws into the she-cat, pulling her down with all of her strength. Feeling the branches smack into her form as the both go tumbling down. Only to have a branch catch her deathly decent…but sadly Swiftstream was not as lucky. Her piercing cry still rang painfully in her ears, something she will never forget‘ 

“It should have been me…” she mutters pitifully to herself, talking to no one in particular.

Chris
    Participant

Hawkpaw stumbled numbly through the thicket, callously crashing through the tangles of underbrush sending prey and other forms of life scattering before him. The midnight black tom was indifferent to his surroundings, and had been so ever since he had heard one of the cats up in the trees had fallen, and no one could find Chanterellepaw anywhere. He simply refused to believe it- she had to be okay, or he…he’d…

He perked up when he caught an achingly familiar scent, mindlessly plunging through the brambles he ignored how they tore at his face stingingly. Little rivulets of blood ran down his face, but he blinked them away as he pushed into the sprawling barren flats. His chest heaving with every breath, eyes locking on her bright umber form as everything else faded away until she was all that there was against a white backdrop. He wanted earnestly to simply wrap her up in his arms, to bury his face in her richly colored fur yet he could also sense she was under great distress- emotionally, that was. Physically she seemed alright, something he noted with unspeakable relief.

Hawkpaw reigned himself in and padded forward, clearing his throat to indicate his presence else he startle the poor shell-shocked thing. She was alive, one had fallen and one had not….which could only mean one thing.

“Chant…..I’m so glad you’re okay.” He breathed, the beads of scarlet flecked across his face began their journey gradually down his features like teardrops, following the pathways of deep feeling etched into the too-young visage the wartorn tom cat.

“You…you don’t really think it should’ve been you, do you?”

Because I’m glad it wasn’t.

Roach
    Participant

All of her senses were muddled, she couldn’t feel or hear or even see anything. All she felt was numb. She didn’t know what to do, what could she do? She was a killer after all, she had unintentionally taken a life. One that probably had a family, oh her family…The sudden realization hit her full force, causing her to visibly wince even though the pain wasn’t physical, it felt like a real blow. ‘She….what about her family? I killer her! What about—oh no! What have I done!’ She thought, her mind clouding with images of Swiftstreams mangled body sprawled out on the snowy floor. Branches hanging limply by a thread to the tree, showing a pathway that the Riverclan Warrior had fallen. She tried to get rid of the memory, to push it away. She knew that laying here in grief wouldn’t change anything. Yet; she couldn’t move. Her body wouldn’t listen to her ranging inner screams to move; to run, to do anything but lay here pathetically.

Her cherry brown ears twitching as her body sensed someone approaching before she could even register the sound. All she did was curl tighter into a ball; hoping whoever it was would leave her be. Of course, she knew that wouldn’t be the case; there would be no way anyone could ignore an reddish brown bengal against the stark contrast of snow all around her. The slight crunching of snow alerted her that the feline had indeed spotted her. Sighing quietly to herself, a muffled sniffles escaping her as she tries to compose herself; not know who it was that found her. Eyes snapping open at the very familiar voice, cheeks heating up in embarrassment as this would be the second time Hawkpaw had seen her cry. Mentally cursing herself for appearing weak, shifting her form slightly, tilting her head to the side to get a better look at her friend.

Frowning as she looks up at him, her slightly reddened cyan blue eyes locking with his. She remained silent as she studies his rugged, yet still handsome features, worry prickling at her pelt for seeing droplets of blood slowly trailing down his face, staining the pure white snow with blood. Blinking at the tone of relief that escapes him, ‘But…am I alright?’ She couldn’t help but inwardly question herself. Yes she was fine physically, her wounds minor from a prominent bite mark on her left shoulder to the throbbing ache in her right side from hitting a branch. The pain she felt told her that she was indeed alive, but the worst pain of all was the sharp stinging pain in her chest.  “Hawkpaw…” she whispers, voice cracking from lack of use. Ears pinning back against her skull as she hated him seeing her like this. “G-go away” Chanterellepaw whimpers. Though she really didn’t want him to leave, she couldn’t bring herself to say what she really wanted to: don’t leave me, I need you.

Stiffening as he speaks, his words ringing loudly in her ears even though his voice was only above a whisper. “Yes…and no” she pathetically replied. She did not know how to convey her emotions, she did not know how to make him understand the emotions and thoughts swarming around her. Chanterellepaw couldn’t explain to him that she felt like she was drowning, sinking deeper and deeper into these negative emotions within her. She did not know how to deal with the blood that was now on her paws, permanently staining her, reminding her of what she had done.

Chris
    Participant

Watching her pull into herself like a kit in the cold, his inner levi broke and he dropped down beside her in the snow, his flank just brushing against her side. Black muzzle coming to rest at her temple, he breathed in deeply feeling centered just by her scent. Whatever she believed of herself now, she still smelled as sweet as ever to him.

“Did my father ever tell you why I had to come here?” He said softly. “Why the rogues wanted me dead?”

He paused, then went on. The wind whistled lonesomely through the trees, prompting him to shudder and huddle closer to her.

“I was always doing dumb stuff, but it got worse after my sisters both went. I set up a prank for Razor’s group that day, it was a paint can…..a twoleg object full of this sticky stuff. Anywho, they’re really heavy. It was supposed to spill on him, not…” He trailed off, his word catching on the lump in his throat. “It didn’t open. It fell on his head and killed him. He was the Leader’s brother, a life for a life they said.”

He shook his head bitterly. “A joke, a stupid joke and he died.” Steaming moisture that had pooled in his amber-honeyed eyes spilled over and stung in his wounds, melting where they kissed the frozen earth. For once, he cried in front of her this time. “You were defending your home, the ones you love. Do you know how honorable that is? Can’t you see how…how good you are?”

He stared at her face, the tears in his eyes shimmering like choppy waters.

“I know nothing’s gonna make this okay. Believe me, I know.” He swallowed. “But…it’s gonna be okay someday, I don’t know how I know- it-it’s just you. Something just tells me…. you’re gonna be okay. We both are.”

Roach
    Participant

Subconsciously she leans into him, enjoying the comforting warmth that radiating from his dark pelt. She was glad that he had decided to stay, even though she had told him to leave. Soft sniffles could be heard from her as tries to calm herself, not wanting to seem weak in front him. As Hawkpaw was always so strong and confident, so it was definitely a shock to her when she heard the sadness and vulnerability in his voice causing her breath to hitch.

Shaking her head slightly to let him know that his father hadn’t told her why Hawkpaw had been brought to Thunderclan in the first place. Course Hawkpaw had mentioned something about a rogue group, but she never pressured him into revealing anything. Though she wasn’t facing him, she couldn’t bring herself to look upon him, she remained silent.  Ears flicking backwards as she intently listens to what he has to say. Brows furrowing, lips frowning as he explains the mistake he made that resulted in a life being lost.

Eyes widening as she hears his voice break with emotion, it caused her heart to stop beating for a moment as she felt his pain. Biting her lower lip as she wills herself to turn around, to let her blue eyes lock with his golden amber. Tilting her head upwards to look at him fully. It pained her deeply to see him cry, to feel the raw pain and anger seeping through his words as he reveals a dark part of his past. Lips parting as she tries to console him, yet nothing came out. ‘It’s not his fault…’ she thought. Huffing to herself as she knew he was right, that she was defending herself, but that didn’t make the pain or the dread lessen or disappear.

“I…” she trails off, looking away as she tries to sort her thoughts and figure out what she wanted to say. “I know you don’t like being part of Thunderclan, but..” sighing as she looks back at him. Giving him a small pained but thankful smile. “I’m glad you are here. I know that I will get through this, because I have you with me” she spoke quietly, though she was mentally scolding herself for sounding so corny during an emotional moment. With hesitance she leans forward and licks away his tears as well as some blood from the scratches. Grimacing slightly at the metallic taste but continued to clean him up until he looked like the usual brooding and sarcastic tom she knows. Tears were no longer cascading down her cheeks, but her cyan orbs glistened with tears that refused to fall as she lays there, enjoying the comfort from someone she truly cares about.

‘We will both get through this…together’

Chris
    Participant

When he was done, the young tom felt as though a inestimable weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Despite how heavy a discussion was taking place presently, there was a recessive part of him that felt almost giddy in a way. It was as if he’d finally let go of a piece of the anger he carried with him everywhere he went. It was difficult to put into words, but the healing effect it had was impossible to argue against.

He could not help but smile just a bit as her tongue rasped over his face, parsing away the dried blood and tears. He felt like a safe kit again in her care, like he’d never want for anything as long as she was at his side. When she spoke of his mislike for her home, it reminded him with a pang that they were fated to part ways. Did it need be so? The Apprentice could not help but wonder. Yet he couldn’t imagine her fierce loyalty ever allowing her to leave this place. No, her future lay in ThunderClan for sure. And his own, if he indeed had one, was a lonely miasma of doubt that he tried his best not to think about too often.

“I’m always going to remember you, wherever I go, Chant.” He said in his gruff way, though at a soft volume. “You make this place a bit less annoying. If they were all like you, well…” He shook his head. What was he saying? Words were wind. He couldn’t change the way things were just by wishing like a kit.

“We should get back soon. Soon….but not yet.” He settled down into the snow, by this point a drift had built up around them sealing in a good deal of heat and blocking out the howling wind. The sun stole back behind the inky hilltops, and surrendered the sky to a riot of stars. Who was watching them, he wondered. Was it the Warrior ancestors Chanterellepaw spoke of? For once he found himself wanting to believe, if at least just for the sake of another.

You’d better protect her after I’m gone…..Or I swear I’ll come after you myself.

His head found the perfect spot at the bend of her nape, warmth pressed up against his cheek as he lazily watched the tiny specks of snow dance and swirl like little cold lightning bugs. The silence for once comforted him, as opposed to feeling foreign in the absence of distant cars and human machinations. It left him with his thoughts, that of which were a befuddling tangle of contradicting hopes and dreams. What did he really want?

Somehow, right now. Just right now, in this perfect little moment, none of it mattered.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory Berry Flats We’re Too Young to Feel This Old (Chant & Hawk Closed)