way up high in the treetops [kass/hollystar]

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory Oak Forest way up high in the treetops [kass/hollystar]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tyler
    Participant

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

It was probably a question better asked before Kass had made the pair of them scale the large pine tree that rested just before the ShadowClan and ThunderClan border, but at least she had asked. “No one will be mad if you don’t,” The ex-Rogue was rested gingerly on a branch opposite Hollystar, who she had instructed to stand on a parallel branch which connected two trees so they each had their own tree to worry about. The branch swayed under her weight, although with the way it bent Kass was almost certain the branch wouldn’t break, at least not easily.

When the words left her mouth Kass looked almost warm for a moment, showing the slightest bit of emotion towards her mate while she struggled to remain a neutral trainer. Emotions and training never mixed. It was part of the reason she hardly let Hawkpaw in on what she was thinking. She did care for the tom, it was hard not to after almost six moons but feelings for him were easier to keep at bay, especially when she knew Hollystar was probably feeling one way or another about the previous battle pretty fiercely.

“Keeping your balance in battle is always important,” she began, “As long as you can tell which way is up you’ll always be in control.” She swiped a paw forward to jostle Hollystar’s branch. “Because when you can’t thats when things start to get out of paw.” 

Hollystar
    Participant

Oh my Starclan I feel like a sparrow up here! The Thunderclan molly thought to herself. She was feeling mixed emotions of fear, anxiety, and also a little bit of excitement! After being cooped up with her injuries, it felt good to finally get out and feel the breeze of the forest on her pelt. Hollystar nodded at her mate, “Yes, I’m definitely sure. I need to get better if I’m going to be able to protect my clans at all costs!” she meowed with determination. “I didn’t practice enough battle skills previously because there was a peaceful period between the clans. That is over, and I need to get back on my game!”

Hollystar loved seeing the softer side of her mate. She saw the brief expression of warmth and concern come from the other she-cat, and it made her heart swell. She only wished that the other cats could see this part of Kass. Snapping out of her own thoughts, the ebony molly took a deep breath, then started to listen to Kass’s lesson. Balance, she thought, I’ve never balanced on a tree branch before! Suddenly her deputy had swiped the branch she was standing on, and it started to move beneath her paws. “Ah!” she exclaimed, then scurried to sink her claws into the branch. At this point, she could feel her heart beating faster than it ever had before! If she hadn’t regained her balance at the last second, she would have plummeted onto the earth below. Hollystar looked up towards her mate, her green eyes wide with exhilaration. 

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Hollystar.
    Tyler
    Participant

The sheer determination on her mate was quite cute to Kass whose whiskers twitched in amusement, “Ah that’s right, you clan cats don’t remember a day where the sun wasn’t shining high in the sky,” She taunted with a chuckle, the branch swaying again under the weight of her twitching muscles although her outward frame showed no mind to the ground below.

When she swiped the branch she hadn’t expected Hollystar to be as startled as she had been. Maybe I’ll have to go a little soft.. but today only, she decided to herself with an irritated tail twitch and a clearing of her throat. “I’m not going to try and knock you off exactly.. not today anyway. You need to get some confidence first. So instead I’m going to swing at you but I’m expecting you to duck. Be aware of the branch, if you move too much one way or another the branch is going to go the opposite.”

The ex-rogue pulled a memory from the depths of her mind of a past life, doing this exact training but on a shabby wooden fence out in the suburbs. She quickly cast the memory aside and let it push her towards her current training session. And so with a careful jostle of her own branch she reached out to swipe at Hollystar, although giving her ample time to duck. She continued this train of slower attacks, allowing for her mate to duck and move when necessary.

Hollystar
    Participant

Hollystar rolled her eyes at Kass’s teasing, but quickly regained her focus, scared to lose balance on the branch. She watched the branch sway beneath the calico, but her mate seemed rather unphased. How is she so confident up here? She’s amazing. The leader thought to herself, in awe of the cat in front of her. As Kass started speaking again, Hollystar’s ears perked forward to listen.

“Okay, I can handle that,” she replied. She sounded more confident than she actually was. The black she-cat took in a deep breath, and then before she knew it, Kass was swiping at her. She dodged, but moved a little too quickly. The branch swayed underneath her, and she dug her claws in to keep her balance. Note to self- don’t move as drastically, she thought to herself. The next swipe came quicker than she expected, but this time she tried to move her body only where necessary to avoid the attack. She still didn’t like the movement beneath her paws, but it wasn’t as bad as the last swipe where she had shifted her entire body. She kept dodging the blows, and although she wasn’t as graceful and confident as the deputy, Hollystar seemed to get better every time Kass tried to swing at her.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Hollystar.
    Tyler
    Participant

Kass kept the swipes coming for a while, starting to get more unpredictable with the rate at which she would swipe at her mate. Left, right, two lefts, a low right. Back and forth until the dilute calico could feel herself starting to grow bored with the lesson. Without any prior warning she took a step forward in a deep lunge, paw transferring to Hollystar’s branch to jostle the she-cat’s rhythm. How would she respond?

The deputy smirked lazily, shyly rolling her slightly injured shoulder while allowing Hollystar to recover. Gently she removed her paw from the branch to let it sway slightly again. “My thought process is, if we start apprentices off in the trees we might have an advantage. The element of surprise is a crucial tactic. Meanwhile all the clans seem to have the same three attacking and defense moves. If we add to our repertoire we won’t let ourself be… overpowered.” The she-cat cringed. She wasn’t exactly sure how Hollystar felt about her battle with Wisteriastar.

Hollystar
    Participant

Just when she thought she was getting a hang of dodging Kass’s hits, Hollystar noticed that her mate was mixing things up and moving unpredictably. The ebony she-cat focused on keeping her balance and cemented her eyes on the other cat’s movements. She was becoming more steady on the branch, and felt better about dodging the swipes. Suddenly, the deputy went forwards onto Hollystar’s branch, and the leader widened her eyes, unsure how it would cause the branch to move beneath her. She dug her claws into the branch, and tried to shift her weight to avoid losing her balance. When Kass released, the wood beneath her swayed back and forth. Hollystar took a deep breath, and managed to stay balanced and calm. “Well that wasn’t very nice of you,” she teased.

As Kass spoke, Hollystar nodded. Training the apprentices in tree fighting wasn’t a bad idea. They would have to come up with a way to do it safely and slowly, but it definitely would give the clan an advantage that the others didn’t have. “We will need every advantage we can get,” the molly meowed. “I think it’s a good idea to get cats, especially the young apprentices, trained in fighting up here.” Hollystar winced at the comment about being overpowered. She knew Wisteriastar had made a complete fool out of her. “We will be the strongest clan. If Wisteriastar wants to start a battle, Thunderclan will give her a war! Riverclan won’t know what hit them.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory Oak Forest way up high in the treetops [kass/hollystar]