Tread Carefully (OPEN)

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory Tread Carefully (OPEN)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose of Windclan

It was a soft, quiet morning. Only the feathery sound of bird wings flitting gracefully overhead accompanied the stillness as they sang their sweet melodies in celebration of the early light. The chilly air from the night before still lingered, but the warm touch of sunlight quickly chased the cold from her sleek, dappled fur; glowing a brilliant gold under its yellow rays. Mornings like these reminded her of of the times she’d spent as an eager apprentice, emerging early from her den with the rising sun to train hard and earn her warrior name. For a moment she lingered on the memory, a barely noticeable smile on her face as she thought back to the rambunctious youngster that she was; strongly committed and desperate to prove herself. There was also an alluring resonance of sadness hiding behind her sunny eyes before she closed them tightly. Taking a deep, steadying breath, she focused on the patrol she was leading and pushed forward.

The rich, thick blades of dew laden grass brushed over long, slender legs as Desertrose navigated the sea of shimmering tendrils. When they arrived at the boundary between the mountains and the moors, she turned her head head to glance back at the small group behind her, noticing how distinct their shadows were along the rocky hillsides as they stretched over the land in long, dark shapes. The tall peaks that bordered Windclan were sharp and steep in comparison to the soft, rolling hills that were now adorned in bountiful patches of small bushes and soft blooms. “Remember to stay alert for any trouble as we remark the borders,” she quietly reminded them, not needing to mention the mountain lion as she was sure no one had forgotten the threat that rattled their clan to its very core. “And stay within earshot. I can’t help you if I can’t hear you.”

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Shy.
    Pheebs
    Participant

If some cat had walked up to Quiethawk a few sunrises ago and told him he’d be using his stealthiness, a skill he was known for and proud of, to sneak out of his own camp to go on patrol he would’ve laughed his ass off. Which is exactly what he did that morning, silently ducking out of the warriors den and past the medicine cat’s den, praying to Starclan that Startledcrow wouldn’t decide to get up right then.

Now the grey-brown tom stood o the right of Desertrose, the discomfort he felt from his right leg overcome by his relief to be out and doing something. Smirking at the new deputy, Quiethawk offered her a quick, reassuring brush from his tail. “I’ll be just fine, but for you I will stay just within earshot.”** He spoke steadily despite his playful words, dipping his head to acknowledge the molly’s words.

“I’m just relieved to be out of camp.” Quiethawk grinned, tail twitching to and fro. “Startledcrow might chew me out if he hears about me getting hurt or, Starclan forbid, hurting my previously dislocated limb.” The idea of having the medicine cat displeased with him was equal parts terrifying and amusing. Quiethawk couldn’t figure out which to feel.

“Do you think the mountain lion has any buddies?” The windclanner scowled at the thought, warily scanning the area.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Pheebs.
    Feared
    Participant

Eveningstorm ~ WindClan Warrior

Desertrose and Quiethawk had already set out for the patrol, but Wolfstar seemed to insist that Eveningstorm hurry to meet up with the small patrol in order to help them with searching for the mountain lion. Grunting faintly, his nose tingled with the scents of his fellow warriors, mostly because he was familiar with the scent of Quiethawk. Whose scent was strong, along with that of Desertrose. Dark amber colored eyes narrowed around his pupils as the warrior could just see the outlines of the felines on this patrol, ears twitching slightly as he could just barely hear the faint words of a conversation being carried on the wind. A slight grin found its way onto his lips as the patrol slowed their pace as they reached the border on which a handful of them had encountered the mountain lion. His shoulder still stung from the reminder of where he had been clipped by the mountain lion.

Dark brown tabby fur was soaking in the warmth of the sun as he walked, the long white fur on his belly fur was hanging and brushing up against the faintly wet grass. “Well, I guess you are lucky that Startledcrow can’t hear you from here.” He finally spoke up, his deep voice rumbling within his chest as he glanced towards Quiethawk with a cheeky grin rising along his lips. Of course, he knew that Quiethawk was supposed to be on rest in order to give his shoulder blade time to heal so he wouldn’t suffer another dislocation so quickly. Although, as he got closer to the patrol he gently bumped Quiethawk’s shoulder blade as his gaze flickered towards Deserthawk, hesitating for a moment before he cleared his throat. “Wolfstar sent me to join your patrol, I hope that you don’t mind.” Eveningstorm meowed, giving his whiskers a twitch as he gazed towards the new deputy with a slightly bored expression.

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose of Windclan

“Is that so?” she asked, amusement evident in her voice. While his tone seemed sincere and his bright eyes never wavered, she was no fool and was all too aware of Quiethawk’s recklessness. The warrior was well known for throwing caution to the wind and flinging himself into trouble. She doubted his capability to stay out of harms way if danger did in fact present itself. As a precaution, she would be keeping a close eye on him. “As if anyone could stop you from coming along to begin with. You’re not exactly kit sized, and you’re sneakier than the average apprentice,” she waved her long tail dismissively as she turned away from him, stepping closer to a cluster of rocks that jutted out from the ground before brushing herself against it. It was cool to the touch. The sun’s warmth had yet to even penetrate its cold exterior, and she nearly shivered at the sudden contact. She paused, looking over her shoulder to add, “Just don’t get hurt or Startedcrow will have all of our pelts, especially mine for not immediately sending you back to camp.”

Desertrose’s ears flicked towards the sound of approaching pawsteps, her attention turning to the figure of Eveningstorm as he came into view. A delicate smile curled into her pleasant features. “Not at all, Eveningstorm,” she purred in response, content with her leader’s thoughtfulness.

Her molten, amber gaze turned thoughtfully towards the mountains. “Mm, I doubt it,” she answered Quiethawk, though she admittedly felt a prickle of anxiety at the possibility of there being more than one mountain lion. “They seem more territorial than any of the clans to be able to withstand company.”

Pheebs
    Participant

Quiethawk tilted his head around and smirked. “Yes, what a blessing.” The warrior agreed, nudging Eveningstorm’s shoulder, careful not to irritate either of their injuries. The cut above his eye was healing quickly, the swelling gone which was a relief, and a quick glance told Quiethawk that the other tom’s injuries were recovering just as well.

“So what you’re saying is that Wolfstar didn’t trust me and Desertrose to take care of patrolling for any vicious wild beasts ourselves?” Quiethawk feigned an expression of hurt, widening his eyes innocently. “I’m at a loss of what to say to this.”

Turning his eyes and attention to Desertrose, the tom’s next words falling out smoothly. “Well I should hope my apprentice days of sneaking around might’ve paid off.” Even when he was younger the tom had been known to steal away from camp to seek out adventure, usually returning with scrapes, cuts, and a wild grin. To say he was a mentor’s worst nightmare was an understatement. Quiethawk had often been told he could join Shadowclan if he wanted but each time that joke reached his ears it wasn’t met with disdain.

“Lets pray they don’t get territorial if our territory,” he muttered. “I’ll head this way.” Quiethawk motioned to the left with a wave of his tail, walking off with a slightly limping gait. He joked often that he would probably retire early from all his dislocated legs and shoulders, but he really despised the idea of that and was always extra cautious after having a limb dislocated. Well, “cautious” in his own way.

Feared
    Participant

He looked towards Desertrose as the beautiful she-cat looked his way, causing him to tilt his chin as he noticed the thoughtful expression that colored her gaze when he had mentioned Wolfstar. However, he dismissed his intrigue when she spoke, her voice was friendly and the delicate smile that soon found its way onto her muzzle was contagious. Sucking at his teeth, he tried to appear annoyed but her friendly tone and the purr that vibrated her vocals was contagious. Damn, that smile. He thought tartly, refusing to smile back as he quickly looked away from her and simply flicked an ear in her direction. Quiethawk although brought him out of his thoughts as the other tomcat bumped his shoulder blade, but did so carefully to where he wouldn’t brush up against the claw wound on his shoulder blade. “You could use a blessing.” He smirked right back, his long tail swaying behind him in amusement.

He walked quietly with the rest of the patrol, listening keenly to the conversation between Quiethawk and Desertrose. Eyebrow rising slightly as he looked towards his fellow clanmate, eyeing the tomcat as he mentioned that he was hurt that Wolfstar wouldn’t completely trust him in checking the border for the absence of the moutain lion. “I imagine that can’t be too surprising for you.” He chimed, his deep voice rumbling within his chest as he spoke playfully, not intentionally meaning to wound the males pride. Slowly he licked his lips as he listened to the other two cats speak about the mountain lion knowing the boundaries, although he didn’t butt his big head into the conversation. Instead he nodded slowly, his dark roasted amber colored eyes were slowly roaming along the border of which the Mountain lion cub had merely been perched within, hiding within a bush.

Upon hearing that Quiethawk was going to head off in a different direction, he looked towards the tomcat and gave him a sheepish smile. “Tread carefully, Quiethawk. I would simply hate having to drag you all the way back to camp.” He teased, raising and lowering his eyebrows playfully before his attention was once more caught by Desertrose as her delicate figure came to view in the corner of his eye. “I suppose I will go this way, then.” He sighed, not exactly wanting to engage with conversation, his large paws briskly carrying his tall and muscular frame closer to the border.

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose of Windclan

Desertrose didn’t have anything against the idea of Wolfstar sending Eveningstorm to join them. If anything, she was grateful. There was safety in numbers, and she quietly thanked her leader for the necessary addition to her patrol. It had been just her and Quiethawk before he arrived, and while Quiethawk was a capable warrior, he was still recovering from his injuries— injuries given to him from the clan’s initial encounter with the young mountain lion. There had been two warriors, a leader, and a young apprentice on the patrol that day, and even in a larger group, they had struggled immensely to push the snarling beast back into the mountains. She didn’t even want to think about what would happen if she and a wounded warrior had come face-to-face with it. The odds wouldn’t be in their favor, to say the least.

An amused laugh escaped her. “What you should really be praying for is mercy from Starclan before they repay you with an apprentice as wild as you were,” her teasing tone trailed after Quiethawk as he limped in a different direction. She quietly hoped he’d at least have the sense to stay nearby, though a part of her knew that he more than likely wouldn’t. A little voice in her head told her that she’d best glance at him every now and then to keep track of how far he’d strayed. ‘Ugh. Wolfstar’s motherly tendencies are rubbing off on me.’

The hair on the nape of her neck rose when she felt eyes upon her, and she turned quick enough to catch Eveningstorm just as he had adverted his eyes. Though she had dismissed it as nothing, she didn’t miss the way he looked at her when she was announced deputy, nor did she fail to notice all the other times his gaze managed to find her. It was almost comical watching him. There were two possibilities— he either envied her, or he fancied her— and she wasn’t sure of which yet. Desertrose wasn’t entirely too concerned about it, though. However he felt towards her, bitterly or fondly, it had yet to have any ill effect on her or disrupted her daily life, and she wouldn’t spare another thought about it until then.

Tori
    Participant

– T I N Y F L A M E – 

The tiny ginger warrior trotted along at a high pace behind Eveningstorm, as the dark-furred tom’s steps were far faster paced than her own. Given the differences in their body types, it wasn’t particularly unusual that the large tom would overtake her in stride, but she wasn’t all that keen on catching up to him if she was being honest with herself. She hadn’t truly spoken to her former mentor in moons, not since their last argument in relation to his choice in she-cats and his debatably bad habit of flirting with any molly within eyesight. Tinyflame wasn’t sure where they stood now, or if either of them was still feeling sour towards the other. In all truthfulness, she hadn’t a single thought of negativity towards Eveningstorm in a long time– she had been far too cooped up with Owlbelly, and ensuring that he was getting everything that he needed that she didn’t have the spare time outside of her duties to hold on to petty grudges. 

So, when Wolfstar asked of a couple of warriors to join Desertrose and her patrol out to mark borders and to be extra backup in case of the mountain lion’s return, she didn’t feel any reason to protest joining the dark tabby tom on the venture there. Even if she had asked of their leader previously that they not be paired together anymore, the small warrior did not argue in being a part of the morning border patrol. As the pair approached Desertrose and Quiethawk by the borders, even while Eveningstorm’s eyes clearly lingered on their new deputy, Tinyflame didn’t open her mouth to make a jab at him. Instead, she dipped her head to the golden-dappled warrior politely. “Congratulations on your deputyship, Desertrose. I apologize for not wishing you well sooner.” She hoped that WindClan’s newest deputy didn’t think ill of her, for even if her mate had to be retired from Clan deputy, it didn’t mean that she blamed Desertrose for the decision. With that, the ginger tabby turned and made her way over to the border to leave her proper scent markers.

Pheebs
    Participant

Despite the warm sun it felt cool, the breeze only managing to make it colder. Scowling Quiethawk huffed at the chilly morning, bothered by the fact that it was new leaf but still managed to be cold. “Damn, thought new leaf was supposed to be warm.” But Quiethawk had to admit it was better than being warm and humid, humid weather usually causing some of his old injuries to flare up.

Quiet’s steps stilled, his fur spiking as he smelled the air. A second later had him relaxing, realizing the scent was just an old twoleg smell, probably from a few days ago. ‘Might still want to check that out later..’

Quiethawk completed his check and turned to return to the others only to stumble, letting out an embarrassingly high pitches squeak has he fell forward. Of course that wasn’t the word part, he also had to be stupid enough to fall and land on his left paw. ‘Fantastic. Now I’ve hurt both sides.’ Quiet thought bitterly, though he thanked Starclan for two things. First, no one had seen him trip and second, his paw was likely going to cause him to limp even more but wouldn’t cause any permanent damage.

“I didn’t find anything!” The warrior called, hiding his injured left paw by walking confidently, irritating his injuries but smiling on. “Well, I found old twoleg scent but it looks like no wildcats will be fought with today.”

Feared
    Participant

He took no notice of Desertrose and Tinyflame as the two mollies spoke with one another, while he gathered a brisk pace in order to make his get away. Eveningstorm had no desire to get caught up in small talk with either she-cat, he held nothing against either feline but that didn’t mean he exactly wanted to converse. He still had mixed feelings about Desertrose being chosen for deputy and even though she was doing a great job with the position, it still felt like a clawed slap in the face from Wolfstar. Just the mere thought expresses itself through a snort from his pink nostrils. Tinyflame… it was merely awkward. Ever since his argument with the molly over his love life, he really hadn’t spoken with Tinyflame, in fact he barely could stand to be in the same den as her at times. But as of late, he really didn’t mind her presence, it was just an awkward air.

Large paws carried his large and muscular frame with gusto, ears upright and alert as he listened for sounds of movement. Although, he didn’t hear anything out of normal. Even though it was a new-leaf day, the breeze held a certain chill that seeped through his long fur. Clearing his throat for a moment, molten dark amber eyes slowly roamed along the length of the border, giving a wiggle of his nose as he scented the strength of the invisible line. Walking along the border, he left behind his scent in order to express that this land belonged to WindClan. Nostrils flared as breathed in the scent of the sweet grass, his mouth parted as he tried to taste for the mountain lion stench. Of course it was there but it was very stale, causing his pupils to narrow faintly with annoyance. Perhaps he had wanted to see a full grown mountain lion, perhaps not.

Slowly he turned away to make his retreat back towards the rest of the patrol, chin turning in the direction of a voice speaking out. Whiskers twitched with amusement as the other Tom announced that he really hadn’t found anything, causing him to nod slowly. “I didn’t find anything either!” Eveningstorm threw out there, giving a shrug of his massive shoulder blades as he walked towards Quiethawk.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory Tread Carefully (OPEN)