The Day Off (Burnt&Vine) [CLOSED]

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp The Day Off (Burnt&Vine) [CLOSED]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

~ Vinepaw ~

I smell more snow coming.

Vinepaw swiveled her ears towards one of the elders who spoke, her paws itching with excitement. The older cat grumbled with irritation and headed back towards the elder’s den, but the RiverClan apprentice couldn’t help but smile. I love the snow. It first fell on the territories only a couple sunrises ago, delicately blanketing the ground and settling on the tops of the willow trees. To Vinepaw, Leafbare was the most beautiful season she had experienced so far. Despite the nervous murmurs from the elders and senior warriors about prey going scarce, she hoped it would last a long time.

The newly-made apprentice was crouched outside the apprentice’s den with her tail tucked tightly at her side. Her long, gray fur was neatly groomed, the dark gray tips shining underneath the afternoon sun. Her mentor, Creekfrost, was chosen to go on a border patrol so he decided to give Vinepaw the afternoon off. She had gladly laid out in the clearing with the sun on her pelt and snow underpaw, and she was about to get up to fill her belly with a trout she had her green eyes set on. I hope Creekfrost lets me take the whole day off. Who would want to work with the weather so nice? The apprentice couldn’t help but purr, her chest rumblings softly. So far, being a RiverClan apprentice was more than fun to Vinepaw. She enjoyed learning new battle moves, which she was quick to expert. Although she wasn’t that great at hunting prey on land, she found it calming to fish, staring at the water and patiently waiting for movement. Being able to not miss the fish was only meant for intelligent cats, which made her know for sure that RiverClan was the smartest out of all the Clans.

Staring once more at the fresh-kill pile, Vinepaw flicked the tip of her tail, about to stand up and grab the trout for herself.

Roach
    Participant

Burntpaw ~ Riverclan Apprentice 

A tired groan escapes the dry lips of the fluffy white and rustic chocolate brown splotched molly. Lazily opening one sage and lemongrass green eye as she looks around the den. Her sight blurry from sleep, muttering under her breath as she tried to will herself to go back to sleep. Snuggling more into her moss nest until the sounds of felines moving about the clearing disrupted her beauty sleep. Growling in irritation as she grumpily rises from her nest, a scowl on her sharp features as she glares at anything and everything. Stepping out of the comforts of her nest, shivering as the coldness set in her bones as soon as the soft pads of her paws touched the cold earth. ‘Great…this cold weather makes me want to sleep even more’ she thought as she grimaced at the cold air that was filtrating into the small confinements of the apprentice den. Slowly she makes her way toward the entrance/exit of the den, glancing around with slight interest. It would seem that she was the only once that had remained asleep, now she wasn’t slacking from her chores, it would just seem that she was the only one using her day off wisely. Burntpaw was glad to have a day off from apprenticeship, practicing her fighting skills was getting tiring and frustrating. The only thing she was enjoying had to be when leaving camp and hunting. Burntpaw knew she had a lot to learn, but for today she was fine with learning nothing.

Burntpaw could vaguely remember her mentor; Coppercloud speaking to her in regards of having a free day. She wasn’t sure if it had to do with him being busy or just not wanting to deal with her today. Shrugging her shoulders at the thought, if it had been important she would have remembered. Grumbling as she could see the brightness of the snow being magnified by sun’s light shining down through the clouded sky. Mentally preparing herself for the cold and the brightness, taking a deep breath before slipping out of the den. She instantly regretted her decision, squinting as she looks around. Glaring moodily at those who disturbed her sleep, tail flicking side to side sassily before her gaze lands on the bright happy go-lucky grey apprentice that just happened to be her sister. ‘Of course she would be happy. All she has talked about for over a week is how much she loves the snow’ she thought before deciding to bother her sister. Tensing at the coldness nipping at her paws, glancing down as she watches her white paws sink into the snow. Brown ears flicking as she watches with intrigue as she leaves small paw prints in her wake.

Even though she has only been alive for little over 6 moons, she knew enough to decide that nature had a mind of its own. Seasonal changes were mind boggling to her, who would have thought that nature could create such chaos and beauty. Shaking herself out of her thoughts as she trudges over to Vinepaw. Plopping down with little to no grace, grimacing at the cold and wetness seeping in. “Hello my dear weird sister” she chirps with a teasing grin.

Wolfstar
    Participant

~ Vinepaw ~

Vinepaw lifted herself up, some of the snow still sticking to her long pelt. She began to step forward, but the sound of an extra set of paws crunching in the snow towards her changed her attention. The gray molly turned her head and looked into the eyes of her sister, Burntpaw. Her whiskers twitched with amusement at the annoyed expression on the brown-and-white apprentice, knowing her littermate hated the snow and couldn’t wait for it to be over. Forgetting about the fat trout for the moment, Vinepaw sat back down in the snow and watched Burntpaw plop herself into a laying position next to her. “Hi,” she meowed back, tail tip tapping Burntpaw’s flank in a greeting. “I was wondering how long you would be sleeping for. I didn’t think you worked that hard to where you needed all day to rest.” Her voice was laced with a teasing tone. 

Out of all the apprentices in camp, Vinepaw believed she and her sister were more on the serious side. They often joked around with each other, but they were never the first ones to start playing moss-ball with the rest of the apprentices. Vinepaw loved putting all of her focus into her training, working hard to become one of the greatest warriors RiverClan would know. “I’m glad Creekfrost and Coppercloud gave us the day off,” she said to her sister. “I was thinking about getting something to eat, but is it wrong to grab something from the fresh-kill pile when we haven’t added to it?” Her head tilted to the side inquiringly, her green eyes venturing back towards the trout she prayed no one took before she had the chance. Her belly grumbled and mouth watered at the thought of sinking her teeth into the white flesh. 

You know what, I think I’m just going to go for it.” Without giving Burntpaw a chance to answer, Vinepaw rushed over to the pile of prey. She wrapped her teeth around the fish then carried it back over to her sister, dropping it in front of her paws. “Share it with me.” The gray she-cat lowered herself back to a laying position beside Burntpaw, letting her go first so she didn’t seem rude. “I heard the other Clans go hungry most leafbare’s since they don’t eat fish from the stream. Land prey gets so skinny.” Her nose wrinkled at the thought of trying to eat from a bland, malnourished squirrel.

Roach
    Participant

Lips pursed as she bares through the cold sinking and dampening her fluffed pelt; clinging onto her easily. Tilting her wedged cranium upwards as she eyes her sister, pupils narrowing as she could sense Vinepaw’s amusement at her discomfort. The poor white and brown molly hadn’t even bothered to groom her thick and long pelt, tufts of fur sticking up at odd angles. Giving Burntpaw a disheveled appearance, not that she truly cared of course. “Pfft of course I worked hard. I always do” she played along with a cheeky grin. Course she wanted to be the best, but wanting to and trying to were very different things. She hates putting herself out there and having to put effort into many things, unless her pride was on the line. Then you better believe she would try and try until succeeding. At least that’s how she liked to perceive herself in front of others. Vinepaw was the only one she could trust to be her true self around. It was safe to say that she had formed some sort of trust issues, though she was not sure what was the root of the issue. To her; it was something that had just formed gradually over time to the point where she didn’t even notice that she had retreated into herself, downplaying her intellectual self to make others feel better or like her.

Now her sister was a different story; Vinepaw has always been scary smart and had never had a problem with showing just how intelligent and hard working she was. Burntpaw didn’t mind others believing she was the more academically challenged one or should she say — lazy. Furrowing her brows as she noticed her sisters lack of attention, curiosity nipping at her pelt caused her to follow her gaze towards the fresh-kill pile. Green gaze flickering over the prey until landing on their favorite fish; trout! “Tsk of course we deserve it! Not our fault that our mentors gave us the day off” she scoffed at the absurdity of her sisters words. It would seem that her sister was a bit of a goody-two-shoes; something that Burntpaw was trying to break. Rolling her eyes playfully; “If you don’t then I will” she oh so casually adds with a sigh and a simple shrug to her petite frame.

Though when she turned to look back at the grey molly, she found that she was been talking to herself the whole time. Eyes widening in surprise as she sees Vinepaw strutting away time grab the fish before anyone else got their grubby paws on it. “Of course I was talking to myself” she mocked to herself with a huff. Arching an eyebrow as she eyes her sister, “Hmm. I’m impressed that you got the courage to do it” she playfully teased with a wink. Shifting into a laying down position, the cold no longer bothering her as her body was adapting to the coldness of the snow. Paper thin ears prickling up at Vinepaw demanding basically to share the trout with her. “Vine. When have I ever turned down trout?!” She exclaimed as she bends her head downwards. White fangs glistening against the snow as she sinks them into the flesh of the scaly fish. Moaning at the fresh and tangy taste on her tongue, the fish’s juices and meat easily sliding down her throat. Humming in appreciation as she nods her thanks. “That’s what they get for being picky” her words jumbled due to talking with her mouth full.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Vinepaw twitched her ears and lifted her nose up indignantly at Burntpaw’s courage comment, giving her sister a look. “My heart isn’t just full of fluff! I have courage.” In fact, she prided herself in having a lot of courage. However, she didn’t agree that being risky and stupid was the same thing as bravery, and that was the difference between her and Burntpaw. Vinepaw usually thought through her ideas before acting on them while her white-and-brown sister usually acted first. But she did realize Burntpaw was only teasing her so she brushed it off, waiting patiently for her turn on a bite.

More snow started drifting down into the camp, landing on everyone’s pelts. Vinepaw could hear some of the warriors groan with annoyance, but she stayed quietly happy, her paws kneading the ground with comfort. She and Burntpaw were blessed to have longer pelts, getting thicker the colder it got. 

When her sister had a mouth full of trout, Vinepaw went in with her mouth watering. She carefully bit around the tiny bones so she didn’t pierce her throat while swallowing. The white meat was juicy and full of flavor, and she couldn’t help but let out a purr. The flavors of the river that surrounded their territory was fresh. Much better than land prey. Vinepaw looked towards the camp entrance as she swallowed. “I’m glad Creekfrost gave me the day off for rest, but I also kind of wish I was out there patrolling with him.” She turned her head to look at Burntpaw with curiosity. “How are you liking your training? Do you like Coppercloud?” 

The only time she and Burntpaw did their training together was the very first day when Creekfrost and Coppercloud took them to venture the territory for the first time. That was such a fun day, and Vinepaw had hoped she would have many more training session’s with her sister, but Creekfrost preferred training on their own. She didn’t quite understand why, but never questioned it, not wanting to be on the dark-gray tom’s bad side. Fortunately, he wasn’t easy to anger and he seemed impressed with her more than anything. 

Roach
    Participant

Green eyes glimmering in amusement as she watches her sister defend herself. To Burntpaw; Vinepaw was the definition of fluff, though she would admit that she was the brains while she; herself was the brawn of the operations. Swallowing her bite of fish, enjoying the juices and meat sliding down her throat. A soft purr escaping her black rubbery hued lips, eating the fresh watered trout already made her feel warmer. “Whatever you say” she sang with a playful wink. Gently pushing the dead trout closer towards her sister, nodding her head as she silently gestures to her to take a bite. Humming in approval as she watches Vinepaw take a decent size bite. She knew that her sister could sometimes get too absorbed in her head to care for her basic needs, even though she was the oldest. Grinning as she shuffles closer to her grey fluffed sister. Giving her a sheepish look as she glances around before leaning in to whisper, “I’m cold” she groaned, shivering and chattering her teeth dramatically for effect.

Taking another bite, teeth scraping against the bones of the carcass. Cheeks puffed; giving her the appearance of a chipmunk as she chews. Groaning at the snowflake landing on her dark peach colored nose. Going cross-eyed as she eyes the snow, wrinkling her nose as she swallows the food. Smacking her lips together in satisfaction, “Why must it snow..?” She moans as she leans against Vinepaw. “It just makes me want to curl up in my warm bed and sleep Leafbare away” Burntpaw complained. Ears and feathery white whiskers twitching at the soft voice brushed against her sensitive ears. Furrowing her brows as she purses her lips in thought, shifting her head on Vinepaw’s shoulder to get a better look at her. “Training is going well enough. When Coppercloud isn’t moping about” she muttered, making sure to keep her voice leveled and quiet.

“We could always go do a little patrol ourselves? Or go hunting…?” She suggested, though she secretly hoped that she did not want to do either. “I don’t think Coppercloud particularly likes me — maybe more like tolerates” Burntpaw adds with a small sigh. When she goes out on patrols or practicing her hunting and fighting skills, it always seems like that Coppercloud is never there. He is there physically but hardly mentally. There are times when he seems fine and when that happens; to her it seems that they get along well. Burntpaw was the type that could get anyone to easily like her, she just had a certain aura around her that made anyone at ease and make them laugh. It might have to do with her reckless persona and wanting to make others like her. Though to her; her best and closest friend would have to be her sister. Vinepaw was the only one she truly felt comfortable with in revealing her complete carefree self as well as her serious and intellectual side.

Wolfstar
    Participant

After swallowing another bite of the trout, Vinepaw looked above her, watching the snowflakes trickle down. One landed on her nose and her green eyes crossed to get a good look at it. But it melted quickly from her body heat, forming into a a tiny droplet of water. Shaking it off, she looked at her sister with an amused expression. “The snow makes me want to be outside more. I enjoy the cold.” She looked down at the snowy ground in front of her, shuffling her paws in the snow to form paw prints. It was interesting to Vinepaw how something so cold and fluffy could come from the sky. It seemed it came from StarClan itself. Was it a gift from them? I doubt it if everyone else complains so much!

As Burntpaw continued speaking, she swiveled her ears to soak in every word. Vinepaw chuckled and nudged her sister’s shoulder teasingly. “Well if you weren’t such a mouse-brain then maybe Coppercloud wouldn’t just tolerate you.” Despite it being a joke, she also sort of meant it. Burntpaw wasn’t as serious as Vinepaw, not taking her training as seriously. She could imagine Coppercloud getting frustrated quite easily with the brown-and-white molly. 

Taking another bite of the trout, she took her to time to chew it. Its juices trickled down her throat, warming her belly on its way down despite it being caught from an almost freezing stream. Vinepaw glanced back at her sister once she swallowed. “Creekfrost is a great mentor. He’s patient and serious. He expects a lot out of me.” Her gray chest puffed out with pride. “He told me I might get a warrior name sooner than a lot of the other apprentices since I’m doing so well. But…” her expression faltered slightly. “I need to work on my defense moves. I’m great at attacking, but I get nervous with defensive moves.” Vinepaw’s eyes brightened suddenly. “After we finish the trout, do you want to work on some battle moves with me? I know we have the day off, but maybe moving around will warm you up a bit.” 

Roach
    Participant

Shifting her petite form as her head moves into a more comfortable position. Rustic brown ears pinning against her skull as she looks up at Vinepaw, not wanting her sensitive ears to twitch against Vine’s furred cheek and shoulder. “Course you would like the snow” she lightly teased with a smile. Yes, she believed the snow was beautiful to look at, but the cold sleeping into her bones was not her favorite thing. It was pretty to look at, but nothing more in her opinion. Green hues flickering side to side as she quietly watches the snow flakes flutter by, flinching when one would land on her nose or even her eyes.

“Pfft I don’t know why he doesn’t like me. I am amazing”
    she sang sarcastically with a grin. Of course, she knew that she was not the most productive when it came to training, but she did well! Just not up to the standards that were placed on her. Frowning slightly at the thought, in a way she blamed her sister for the pressure that seemed to be put on her shoulders. Vinepaw was the ideal apprentice, always doing her chores and training hard. While Burntpaw was just there, the only thing she truly loved and found interesting had to be tracking and fighting. Those skills just came to her, hunting was another story.

The white and brown she-apprentice could never keep quiet enough, majority of the time, to successfully catch a prey. It was always her and her big mouth that caused her to fail in hunting. Moving away from her sister’s shoulder, sitting upright as she listens attentively. Smiling slightly as she watches her sister puff out her chest in pride at the thought of becoming a warrior earlier than the rest—earlier than her. Burntpaw would never admit it, but it stung that her sister would rather graduate from apprenticeship early than finish with her. Though, she knew that Vinepaw did not mean to brag, but it left a sting.

Blinking away her thoughts, sage and lemongrass eyes landing on the distraught form of her sister. Furrowing her brows as she was not sure why of the sudden turn of emotions. Burnt had been deep within her mind that she hadn’t realized that her sister was still talking. Cheeks burning as she nods, catching the last few words. ‘Ugh training. Is that all she can think about?’ She inwardly groaned as she stares blankly at her sister, trying to ignore the pleading look that was passed her away. ‘She knows I hate it when she looks at me like that!’ Glaring down at her paws, wiggling her toes in the snow as she tries to hold strong.

Biting her lower peach colored lip, no matter how much she wanted to laze about, maybe training with Vinepaw could be a good thing. It would definitely show Coppercloud that she was not completely the lazy apprentice that he more than likely believed her to be. Clenching her jaw, she would prove everyone wrong. Rolling her eyes as she looks back at Vinepaw, “ Fine. But only if you help me with my hunting techniques” she added with a firm nod to her wedged cranium, it was only fair.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Vinepaw didn’t notice the change in Burntpaw when mentioning her apprenticeship ending earlier. They were still newly-made apprentices with still a long ways to go, but the praise from Creekfrost made her feel like a warrior already. It didn’t occur to her that Burntpaw would feel left behind. The gray-and-white apprentice gleamed at her sister when she agreed to practice training. Her whiskers twitched excitedly as she took her last and final bite of the trout. If she ate as much as she wanted to then she would be too full for practice, so she made sure she still had room left in her belly. “It’s a deal,” she agreed to Burntpaw. “I can show you the new hunting technique Creekfrost taught me. It’s for catching a bird. He said a lot of birds like to search underneath the willow trees for nuts and seeds so it’s important to know how to hunt them.” 

Vinepaw’s ears twitched as she stood up, leaving the half-eaten trout where it was. She looked at Burntpaw expectantly, her paws itching to start practicing. What else was there to do in the middle of the day in leafbare? Vinepaw didn’t like being antsy, especially inside the camp! 

When a patrol of RiverClan warriors padded inside the clearing from the territories, Vinepaw dipped her head respectfully as a greeting. She waited until they departed amongst the rest of their Clanmates before starting. “So, pretend that pile of snow over there is a bird,” she meowed to her sister, lifting her chin towards a small clump of white snow about three fox lengths from them. “Birds like to hop around to find their prey so it’s hard to sneak up on them in an empty clearing. Creekfrost says to hide behind things as much as you can, like bushes or a tree trunk.” Vinepaw crouched and carefully stalked towards the pile of snow, but keeping behind other piles to hide herself. “Then, when you’re close enough, jump out from where you are and catch the bird as quickly as you can.” Vinepaw pounced with precision, landing on the snow clump perfectly. Her tail flicked happily. She looked at her sister. “Birds like to chirp or squawk when caught so killing them quickly is important. And…” Vinepaw’s eyebrows furrowed as she tried to remember the last thing Creekfrost told her about hunting birds. “Oh! If they start to fly away, it’s easy to jump and pull them back by hooking your claws in their wings or legs.” Vinepaw herself had yet to catch a bird in the air, so practicing her bird hunting skill was important as well.

Your turn!” Vinepaw turned to the pile of snow she messed up and scraped it back into a mound. 

Roach
    Participant

Burntpaw ~Riverclan Apprentice 

‘Is it too late to back out now?’ She wondered with a groan as she watches her sister munch down on the rest of the trout. Just the thought of actually doing something caused the young white and brown molly to instantly lose her appetite. Cursing under her breath as she slowly rises to her paws, all of her paws were off white except for her front right paw that was a rustic brown like the patched marking along her thick pelt. Shifting her petite form as she regards Vinepaw; ears swerving in her direction as her soft voice brushes against her sensitive ears. Lightly grimacing as Vinepaw mentions hunting, her weakest point. It frustrates her that many apprentices find hunting so easy; while she struggles to maintain afloat with her fellow apprentices.

Taking a deep breath, letting her green eyes flutter close as she tries to relax her suddenly tense form. Burntpaw knew that she needed to calm herself, to put her self in a positive mindset if she wanted to absorb the information being given to her by her sister. Shuffling away from the discarded meal, following shortly behind the white and grey she-cat. A permanent frown etched onto her delicate features, though she couldn’t help but arch a brow in curiosity as she follows with her eyes toward a pile of snow. “Fascinating” she bluntly mutters.

Biting her lower lip to contain a chortle that’s begged to escape. She did not want to be rude or embarrass her sister, but she had a hard time taking any of her instructions seriously when she was literally stalking a pile of snow. Softly clearing her throat, getting rid of a tickle in the back of her throat. Her amusement quickly shifting to appear interested. Glancing away for a moment as she eyes the other felines around them, Burntpaw couldn’t help but feel self-conscious. Practicing infront of many felines, basically in the center of camp was not what she had in mind. Nostrils flaring as she takes a much needed breath, trying to relax herself and let her bristled fur slowly return to its normal flat position.

Returning her attention back to Vinepaw just when she began to explain and show her the proper technique in catching birds within Riverclan. Clenching her jaw as she carefully studies her movements, how she easily shifted her weight in the snow. To how Vine quickly ducked and dodged for cover as if she was truly stalking a bird. A twinge of jealousy coarse through her veins at how much of a natural hunter she truly was. Swallowing down her unnecessary jealousy, her stomach tightening with guilt for feeling such negativity towards her sister. Glancing down at her paws, messing with the snow before sighing as it was now her turn. Anxiety suddenly shot through her, causing her breath to hitch momentarily before able to catch her breath. Fog fanning before her parted lips, tightly smiling over at her oblivious sister; giving her a small nod.

Slowly she lowers her small frame down towards the snowy earth. Shifting her weight as to make sure her form did not drag along the powered snow. Eyes narrowing, pupils slitting as her gaze remains glued into the lumpy snow a few feet away from her. “Okay. You can do this. Not like it’s an actual bird” she mutters. “It’s just snow” she quietly added with a small nod of agreement to her own words. Shoulders rolling with her slow calculated steps, making sure to remain low and use stones and other lumps of snow for coverage. Scoffing to herself as she mockingly peeks over a makeshift mound of snow to peer over at the ‘bird’. Inwardly rolling her eyes at how idiotic she must look before swiftly pouncing onto the snow. A soft gasp escaping her at the sudden icy cold snow clinging into her pelt as she landed face first into the snow, she had not expected the snow to not be as solid has it had been perceived to be. Shivering as she struggles to pull herself out of the snow, a small pile settling on top of her head. Sneezing and wrinkling her nose before looking over at her sister, “How—how did I do?” She huffed, slightly out of breath due to the shock of the cold.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp The Day Off (Burnt&Vine) [CLOSED]