The Aftermath

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp RiverClan Leader’s Den The Aftermath

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jetstream
    Participant

RiverClan had returned to their camp after the gathering, full of solemn cats and heavy with silence. None of them were in a good mood after the night’s transactions, reasonably so. Not only had they been intruded upon by some tribe of cats they hadn’t even a clue had existed until now, a new prophecy hung over their heads. Wisteriaflower personally felt the burden of these events, for she was one of the cats that had to do with the warning they were given.

Rainstar had called both she and their medicine cat, Fishtail, to their den. She assumed to talk about what had happened at the gathering. It of course made most sense that they would want to consult their deputy and medicine cat about it but this would be her first meeting under this kind of circumstance. Perhaps it would be for her friends as well. None of them had dealt with anything like this before, after all.

The calico she-cat dipped her head under the den’s entrancing wall as she entered, remaining wordless as she settled to the side. Her orange eyes surveyed the area briefly, noting that there was not much to their leader’s den aside from a nest for themselves and minor additions. Then her attention returned to Rainstar, waiting for them to address their ranks.

• This topic was modified 12 months ago by Jetstream.
    Jetstream
    Participant
    Fishtail had been thinking over what he wanted to say- no, what he would say, in his head the entire walk back. The trek had felt closer to a crawl with the weight of the ultimatum on their shoulders. The young healer peeked up towards the night’s sky to find thin clouds hiding Silverpelt from their gaze. His head was riddled with inner turmoil that he’d not expected to be placed onto his shoulders. Why would StarClan seek to seperate the clans from their loved ones. Why did they care about some tribe?

When his paws had finally hit the familiar rock floor of the caves he finally felt a little more relaxed, his shaking golden irises inspecting the cats around him. They were all exhausted, mentally and physically- none daring to speak above a whisper. Meanwhile Fishtail had been keen on keeping his eyes open for any omens. So far he was fresh out of luck. 

When he was called to Rainstar’s den, he was almost taken aback by this since he was still new to this. With a meek nod he followed his former mentor into the den shyly. “I.. I don’t think we should listen to this tribe without more information.” He blurted out into the awkward silence, gasping at his own words after he’d let them slip with wide golden eyes. He should have waited, should have been addressed first. The young feline eyed Wisteriaflower for help, ears falling flat against his skull in embarrassment. 

Jetstream
    Participant
    RAINSTAR }
    riverclan leader 

the journey home had been completely silent from the riverclan party, who were all left contemplating the events of the evening. the full moon hung low in the sky, giving off little light as the group made its way back to their home. they had one of the shortest journeys of all five clans, but it certainly dragged on as rainstar thought long and hard about what to do. they certainly weren’t giving up wisteriaflower, that was out of the option. but the fate of the clans hanging on their shoulders was..daunting. it gave them nausea and a spinning headache just thinking about the future. what about the kits that rain wanted? or how would their clanmates fare being alone? what if everycat died?

swallowing hard, rain slipped into the riverclan cave, their heart pounding in their chest. they didn’t bother with their usual headcount, instead they called for their deputy and medicine cat to follow, and they quietly slipped into their den. rain took the few silent moments alone to reflect on what they had. the den wasn’t large by any means, but spacious. it had a few knickknacks from past leaders, and a few of their own things. at first glance it was hard to see, but with soft glowing mushrooms lighting up the space, you could squint and see dark, paw-print shapes spiraling along the wall. it was tradition for each new leader to put up a pawprint. there, the most fresh of them all, was rainstar’s at the tail-end. it was place neatly and precariously by the back of the den, true to their personality. it had taken them moons to actually put one up, scared that they still weren’t worthy.

and still, they had doubts. was this starclan’s sign that it was time to step down? gingerly, they placed a paw directly atop their marking on the wall, wondering, if they could take it all back.. would it even matter.. ? as fishtail and wisteriaflower entered the den, rain beckoned for them to join them, moving away from the wall to sit in their nest. blinking, rain took a long hard look at wisteria, a cat that rain admired deeply. she was strong, brave, cool-headed. she had had her doubts, just like rain. they made up their mind then, wist was not leaving.

still uncertain if fishtail knew that Wisteria was one of the cats, rain chose to keep things partially vague, allowing wist to share on her own terms. “i agree, there’s no way that we can trust them for certain. i’m not sure why they let such a young cat speak for them, clearly they either don’t understand what they’re asking of us, or they don’t care.” rain sighed heavily, closing their eyes and tilting their head to the ceiling. to be young an naive again. either way, riverclan will not be giving up any of our cats. i promised my devotion to this clan to not only our ancestors, but to our clanmates, and that means every single cat in riverclan. but i don’t know what else to do. i’m at a loss. do either of you have any suggestions?

εϊз
    Jetstream
    Participant

Wisteriaflower caught the look Fishtail sent her after he blurted out what he was thinking, and she gave the young medicine cat a reassuring smile. The calico warrior had also noticed the vagueness in her leader’s words as they spoke about the situation they had been given. In the frozen time dilemma she had experienced at the gathering, she was not sure who had been placed in the same as herself or who all even knew what had really happened. But Rainstar was a very intuitive cat, and she knew they had figured something had happened to her during that time, even if she had yet to say it aloud. 

She held her chin up high, her orange eyes flashing in defiance as she stated, “I’m not going anywhere. If those tribe cats expect me to leave my home, my family, my friends, then they’ve got a fight coming.” Wisteriaflower took a look to the side to Fishtail, her former apprentice who had been called to become their Clan’s medicine cat, and then back ahead of her to Rainstar, one of her dear friends. The three of them would be relying on each other now more than ever, they couldn’t afford to sacrifice any of them now nor would they ever be willing to. 

“I don’t completely understand what I saw at the gathering. I don’t know what it means for us, and I don’t know what that apprentice meant when they demanded we leave our Clans– or else we risk destruction. But RiverClan is not weak. We have many capable warriors and we’re more than able to defend ourselves. But I’m not sure what the best case of action here is when we don’t even know what we’re fighting.”

Jetstream
    Participant

The calico turned to Wisteriaflower as she outed herself. Suddenly the situation at paw became less of defending a clan-mate and more to defend a family member. Fishtail tried to hide the surprise on his face but the emotion was evident.How dare StarClan try and separate a mother from her kits? Or me from my mentor? Are these the true faces of their celestial ancestors?

Thoughts of doubt clouded his brain as the other ranks chatted about tactics. Violence.. is that what they wanted? A show to watch while they observed from their eternal resting place? No. Fishtail wouldn’t have that. Couldn’t. Not if he wanted to keep his clan as healthy as possible. He rested his tail upon his mentor’s shoulder to steady her upon the aggressiveness of her words. “No. That’s not a good idea. We should try and resist violence as much as possible.” He counseled with a shake of his head. “The best course of action would be to be on guard, but not to be hostile. This could just be a band of rogues trying to trick us for all we know. Peace,” he flicked his tail, “is the will of StarClan. It’s what I was taught during my apprenticeship,” he eyed the deputy with a non-judgmental gaze. 

Fishtail moved his shaky gaze to his leader next, the young shaman raising his head to peer up at them. “I’m not going to say I’m not curious about this tribe.. because I am. That’s a whole way of life- a whole set of stars that we don’t know about. They said at the gathering that it was time we’d finally met, that means they’ve known about us a lot longer than we have of them which scares me. What if they’re waiting out in the forest for us? They can’t just uproot our cats from their homes. They can’t force Wisteriaflower to leave us.” He wrapped his tail around himself in order to signal he’d finished his speech. 

Jetstream
    Participant
    RAINSTAR }
    riverclan leader 

rainstar was at a loss. their head hung low, searching for answers in the deepest roots of their mind. there had to be something locked away in those memories that could help. frowning, the feline touched their tail-tip to Wisteriaflower’s, making eye contact with their deputy and then giving fishtail a nod. “we’ll do absolutely everything we can to protect you and the others, but violence is the last thing on my mind. they have a young cat speaking for them, clearly something is going on, bigger than what we understand.” rain squinted, staring off into the distance, hoping an answer would come walking through their den.

r-rainstar? can.. can i talk to you?” butterflypaw’s small form was crouched in the entrance to rainstar’s den, the tangle of vines and lichen pushed aside to reveal the apprentice with a backdrop of soft orange, pink, and golden light. sunrise was just beginning to trickle in, and from the light it drew in, rain could see the many forms of his clanmates in the clearing. looks like not a lot of cats would be sleeping, even after the gathering. especially because of the gathering.

although this meeting was incredibly important, rain felt sympathy for the young apprentice. she was probably traumatized by last nights events, having witnessed everything first-paw. shooting up from their nest, rain carefully went to butterfly’s side, curling around the apprentice and ushering her into the den.  “it’s alright young one, we’re taking care of everything. no cat from riverclan will be moving anywhere.” rain looked down at this cat, and noticed for the first time how small she looked, and so frightened. it was so unlike the fired up and hostile cat they had been trying to train for a couple of moons now. they wondered how many other cats would be affected like this.

but butterfly shook her head and carefully untangled herself from rainstar’s protective grasp. she backed herself up, staring wide-eyed at the group of three cats. I-I” her voice trembled, her claws digging into the soft sand and moss that made up the floor of the leaders den. this is all my fault!” she blurted out at once, closing her eyes and wincing as if somecat would strike her. when nothing came of it, she peeked out and shrunk into herself. it’s because i fell into a tunnel! i saw pale moon, they-they helped me out and-and” the apprentice shook her head and curled into herself, her whole body shaking. i-i understand if you want me gone, i’m sorry” her voice was barely above a whisper, her words full of emotion and distraught. just please don’t hurt me
    εϊз
    Jetstream
    Participant

Fishtail’s call for peace and the glance he sent in her direction had the tension in Wisteriaflower’s shoulders slack significantly. The young medicine cat was right. Perhaps the best way to resolve the tension was to do so with as little hostility as possible. The stress of the gathering truly was effecting her, the calico she-cat was known for being rational and level-headed, it was unlike her to be so quick to jump into things like this. Rainstar’s reassuring gesture also helped to calm the jumpy feline and she exhaled a deep breath. 

“You’re right,” she replied quietly, momentarily ashamed of herself for being so rash. “And don’t worry, Fishtail. I’ll expand our border patrols from here on out. Especially near the far side of the river. We don’t know what’s down there– perhaps that’s where those Tribe cats came from.” 

Wisteria nodded in agreement to Rainstar’s next statement. Surely something was indeed off with that Tribe if someone so young was speaking for them all. It was then, that someone nudged their way into the leader’s den. At first, Wisteriaflower felt moderately indignant upon the intrusion– they were discussing important Clan matters! Most warriors knew better than to intrude unless it was incredibly important. Then, she quickly relaxed when she noticed that the cat who came in was simply just a worried apprentice.

She watched with a frown as Butterflypaw blurted out that this entire happening was because of her, not because of what she had said but rather how she had said it. The young cat was just an apprentice, stresses like this should be far from her mind. The calico molly got to her paws and quietly approached the apprentice as well after she had shied away from Rainstar and crouched to the floor. She nudged her nose under the other’s muzzle reassuringly, in a gesture to urge the young cat to raise her head again. 

“No one is upset with you, Butterflypaw. Whether this happened because you met one of them or not, we have no real way of knowing. Perhaps this was the fate of StarClan.” Wisteria gave the apprentice a comforting smile. “Will you tell us the story?”

Jetstream
    Participant

At the entrance of Butterflypaw, Fishtail couldn’t help but wonder how many causalities would some how be connected to the Tribe at some point or another. Oh StarClan, he thought to himself albeit a little foolishly at this point. The young healer could practically feel his pelt turn grey at the thought, an image of a pillaged RiverClan at the base of his mind- or at least what he thought one might look like. He frowned at Butterflypaw, although not directly at her. More like the situation at hand. 

“A Tunnel? Where?!” He questioned, raising a kitty-brow in speculation. That was.. well, that was troubling on so many different levels. He eyed Rainstar warily before moving to expect the she-cat for any injuries, minor or not. “Are you alright? Nothing’s broken is it?” He asked suddenly, nosing her flank for bruising. Surely an apprentice wouldn’t have been able to patch her up should she need medical attention. 

Butterfly
    Participant

BUTTERFLYPAW }
    riverclan apprentice ; she/they
    εϊз

this is it, i’m doomed! dead! done for!‘ Butterflypaw trembled, her heart racing, pounding in their ears as the three RiverClan High Ranks processed what she had said. But none of them seemed remotely upset with her. Wincing, she opened her eyes and blinked at the cats who looked at her with such gentle gazes. Rainstar’s tail wrapped around her shoulders, and she leaned into the leader, trusting them wholly for the first time ever. If any cat could protect her, it was Rainstar. They’d always looked out for her, and done their best. She suddenly felt guilt wash over her, she’d acted so rude to the leader the other day.. it made her throat dry up.

I-” the molly took a moment to steady herself before finally facing Fishtail and Wisteriaflower. As she explained the situation, slowly recounting her night with Pale Moon, she stared mostly at the ground, unable to meet their gazes. “It was just down the river. When I landed on my paws, I fell into a hole in the ground, that’s when they came and led me out. I don’t think they want to hurt anyone!” She looked up abruptly, swallowing hard as worry pricked at her pelt. Would they try and punish Pale Moon? Would the tribe cat that helped her be killed? “They were nice to me! The whole time! I think they’re just..” Butterflypaw trailed off. Worried? Frightened? Lonely? “Scared.” Butterfly looked up to see Rainstar’s brow furrowed in concentration. Their tail remained wrapped protectively around the apprentice, though their gaze was caught between the wall and the entrance to their den. 

We need to talk to them. There has to be another solution. I’m not giving up any of my cats.” Rain’s gaze turned to Wisteriaflower, searching her gaze for something. Determination poured from their very essence, and Butterflypaw understood now why the quiet, poised cat had been chosen to become RiverClan’s leader. Rain would never let any of their cats be harmed or taken from their home. If leader’s were given a title, Rain’s would be The Protector, done and done. “I should go.” Rain paused as Butterfly looked up, the leader’s spark of energy filling the young apprentice with hope. Butterfly cut Rainstar off as they opened their mouth to protest, “I’m the only one in the clans who knows anything about the Tribe. Maybe I can reason with Pale Moon? Maybe I can make them all see that there can be another way!

Rain blinked, taken aback. She wasn’t wrong. “There’s absolutely no way you’re going alone. Besides, we have no idea what the other clans are planning. We need to have a meeting with the other leaders, or something. If we charge in head first with no backup we’re doomed. End of story.

εϊз

Jetstream
    Participant

Wisteriaflower caught Rainstar’s searching eyes with a solid, fiery ember pair of her own and the calico feline stood once more to her paws, her broad shoulders set straight back and her chin high. RiverClan was a strong and close-knit family under Rainstar’s care and she knew that they did not have anything to worry about. Especially if what Butterflypaw said was true to heart. Perhaps she was right, the Tribe was just scared and unaware of what was happening– as were the Clan cats. However, the flight or fight instinct could also prove to be deadly. They had to act carefully.

“Rainstar is right,” Wisteriaflower meowed, I think perhaps I should visit the Clans and see what they’re dealing with. I know that I’m one of the cats the Tribe has requested the release of, but we don’t really know how it’s effecting the others. I could talk to their Leaders and maybe we’ll get somewhere in terms of information and maybe even gain a few allies if we’re lucky.” 

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by Jetstream.
    Tyler
    Participant

Fishtail frowned, “Scared or not, they want to take clan cats out of the forest Butterflypaw. Surely you see the harm in that right?” he asked with a tilt of his head. “We would never resort to hurting others before even speaking to them- we aren’t animals. He turned to his leader who seemed to be mulling over their choices. At the suggestion of going to talk to the tribe, Fishtail adverted his golden gaze for a moment. The young shaman knew the good diplomacy could do, but something in the back of his mind kept nagging him. They had no idea who these cats were, their history, their tendencies- going directly to them would equate to going in blind.  

Fishtail opened his maw to protest Butterflypaw going anywhere near the tribe again, but he reluctantly decided against it. Maybe having the apprentice would make them seem less threatening. Fishtail turned to Wisteriaflower as soon as she offered herself for the patrol of the clan. “You can’t go alone, especially with this target on your back. You’re too valuable.. to everyone.”

Butterfly
    Participant

{ RAINSTAR }
    riverclan ; leader ; they/them

rainstar could feel the anxiety prickling at their belly. decisions were getting harder and harder to make. at fish’s quip about the tribe cats not being harmless, rain immediately went to cover butterflypaw’s already agape mouth before she could reply with some biting retort. you’ve had a long day. all of us have. go to your nest and get some sleep, you’ll need it. no arguments, no whining. understood?” butterflypaw looked up at rain, and for the first time the leader saw trust in her eyes. albeit she was a stubborn apprentice, who still looked upset that she wasn’t allowed anywhere near this debate, but at least she was finally learning to let go, and let rain do what they needed to do. nodding her head, butterflypaw ducked out of the den and presumably went to get some sleep.

rain let out a long sigh and stood. in a moment of love for their clanmates, they pressed the top of their head against wisteriaflower’s shoulder, breathing in her scent. “i don’t want you to get hurt out there, and i know you can protect your own, but i can’t send you by yourself. i don’t like the odds of an apprentice, butterflypaw particularly, being sent around to each clan, so i’ll go with you myself.” looking up, they searched the deputy’s eyes for something and then turned to fishtail. “i think its best we try to get some sleep before we go. fishtail, do you think you’ll be fine here to run things yourself? i expect we’ll be gone at least a couple days.
    εϊз

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp RiverClan Leader’s Den The Aftermath