Stranger Danger! (Desdemona and Sunpaw)

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory Rolling Moors Stranger Danger! (Desdemona and Sunpaw)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant
    A gentle breeze swept through the abandoned twoleg house WindClan called home and the sky was painted shades of orange as the evening began. It was at this time that the clan was most crowded as cats returned from hunting and patrols, and a small figure slipped past the boisterous crowds and into the moorlands that made up most of the territory. This particular cat dipped out of the camp every evening and no one really questioned him at this point. It was just part of his daily routine.

Skittish and sensitive, Sunpaw wasn’t exactly fond of crowds. He felt much more at peace amongst the rolling moors than in the confinement of walls, with only the sounds of the wind and chirping of birds to disturb him. But this particular night was different. He smelled something strange coming from the border, but it didn’t smell like anything he knew of. The tom began to panic a bit, his fur bristling slightly as he hesitantly approached the source of the smell. 

It wasn’t a scary creature or anything that seemed dangerous at first glance, it was simply just a she-cat that looked somewhat similar to him and didn’t appear to be from any clan. “W-What are you doing here? Don’t you know this is WindClan territory?” Sunpaw stammered in an attempt to sound intimidating. It was a hilarious failure, but the tiny ball of fluff that had the fear of StarClan in its eyes tried anyway. 
    —–

The sun was setting, casting beautiful colours onto the moors. It was nearly dark – Most cats were making their way to go to sleep now, but Desdemona didn’t have anywhere to go to, and she didn’t quite mind that. She preferred to be free, sleeping wherever she felt like it on whichever night. Tonight, however, she wasn’t tired, just bored. As per her usual routine when she was bored, Desdemona wandered along the Clan borders, curiously watching for any of the cats that resided within. Some days she saw some, others she didn’t. Luck of the draw, she supposed.

Her fascination didn’t stem from wanting to be a Clan cat – Stars, no. In fact, she thought the Clan cats were curious, and funny in their own right. They needed to bundle together to survive, yet claimed they were strong for it. It was all very humorous to Desdemona, and though she would never wish any of the Clan cats harm, she did like observing them and on occasion, talking to them too. They were fascinating.

On this evening, Desdemona had the luck to see a young cat wander over, and demand why she was here. The balinese cat chuckled softly, her blue eyes fixing on the younger cat, and her ears flicked at his attempt to be scary. She’d seen scary, and this little tom was anything but.

“Just exploring. Don’t worry your pretty little pelt over it, young one,” she purred, her long tail swaying softly. “So, this is WindClan’s territory, then, hm?” She glanced around, a smile settling on her maw. “It’s nice. I’m Desdemona. And you are, little one?” She asked, settling back on her haunches nonchalantly, her tail curling around her paws contently.

—–
    When the other cat chuckled at his attempt to be intimidating, Sunpaw’s fur laid down flat and he looked down at his paws in embarrassment.Young one? I’m only an apprentice but I’m not that young! he thought bitterly, conveniently ignoring the fact that he was no bigger than a kit with respect to size. “My… My name is Sunpaw. It’s nice to meet you, Desdemona,” he replied timidly with a small nod.
    While she didn’t seem dangerous, Sunpaw was mildly confused when she stated she was ‘just exploring’. Of course, it could be said that he was also ‘exploring’, but at least he had the permission to be in WindClan territory! Perhaps she wants to join? She did compliment our territory…“Are you here because you want to join WindClan? You’d probably need to ask Wolfstar,” he told her, glancing back behind him in the direction of their camp, the outline of the cabin just a small speck in the distance. He wasn’t all too excited about the idea of having yetanother cat crowding up the camp, but it wasn’t exactly his decision to make.
    —–
    The molly let out a throaty laugh, her tail waving in amusement behind her. “Well, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Sunpaw, but I’m afraid you have the wrong idea. If you think I’d ever join a Clan, you’re sorely mistaken. I live a life of freedom and I am quite happy that way.” She purred softly, a smile gracing her lips. “A life a little tot like you could probably use. You’re very uptight.” As though to emphasize her point – or perhaps she just couldn’t sit still for long – Desdemona stood, stretching her front paws out in front of her and arching her back. She then strolled closer to the apprentice, crossing the wall of WindClan stench that was their border. She shook her head. “I don’t know how you all live like that. So many rules,” she purred.
    —–
    While he didn’t want the life of a rouge for himself, Sunpaw did understand the other cat’s reasoning. “I mean…yeah. I can understand that. I personally really like the rigidity that being in a clan needs me, having too many options makes me overwhelmed.” He told Desdemona, ending it with a small shrug. “I am pretty uptight but I’ve learned to accept it- wait, you can’t cross that!” His casual tone quickly turned frantic as she nonchalantly crossed the border. “I-I know you aren’t a clan cat, but the clan won’t be very happy if they scent a rouge inside our territory….” The tom stammered, his fur fluffed up again. He was too nonconfrontational and weak to start a fight, but maybe he could talk her out of it…?
    —–
    Desdemona let out a free-hearted chuckle at his suddenly frantic behaviour, and as if to emphasize the fact that she could do that, she hopped back, and then towards him again, leaping over the border. “Why is that? I’m not hurting anything. See, this is the issue with you clan cats. You come over here and just say this is your territory, and then cause a huff as soon as anyone treads on it. Have you ever thought about how this was free land before you came here, Sunpaw? The land can be claimed by no one, and someday something will happen to show you that the land means to reclaim itself from the grasp of you Clan cats.” Having said her piece, Desdemona nonchalantly raised a paw to groom herself. “Besides, I can go where I want, that’s part of being free.”
    Vox
    Participant

Sunpaw looked down in embarrassment and let his fur lie down. “I never really thought about it like that,” he said, absentmindedly prodding the invisible border with his paw. The only difference between what was designated WindClan territory and what wasn’t was arbitrary scent marks. Did those scent marks even matter? Did any clan actually own their land? Trying not to let himself spiral into an existential crisis, he looked back up at the molly in front of him and tilted his head in curiosity. “You can go where you want? There has to have been at least one clan that has chased you off,” he asked curiously, “but I suppose that doesn’t change the fact that there’s nothing really physically stopping you from going anywhere.” Even though he was scared of Desdemona at first, he found himself becoming more and more curious by the minute. Well, there’s no harm in talking to her. She doesn’t look like she wants to sabotage us.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory Rolling Moors Stranger Danger! (Desdemona and Sunpaw)