Skip to toolbar

Stay Cool and Focused – Junco/Mellow [closed]

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory The Stream Stay Cool and Focused – Junco/Mellow [closed]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Juncoberry
    Participant

Juncoberry
    shadowclan deputy

Juncoberry had been pacing outside the medicine cats’ den so long that he was sure there was a groove carved into the ground he’d tread. He was going nuts; he was surprised the stress hadn’t killed him yet. He was worried. He feared for Smokestar’s health; what if she never awoke? What if this coma caused some lasting damage? How would he cope if he lost her to this stupid thing? He wasn’t ready to lead the Clan; that much was made evident by the sudden and drastic turn in his own mental health after his friend had collapsed in that cave. He had finally decided, after enduring pitying stares for far longer than he’d have liked, to leave the camp and try to find some kind of peace in the forest. At the very least, he could panic in solitude out here. He could entertain all his despairing thoughts out here, without fear that he’d be thrown at the medicine cats– who very clearly had bigger things to worry about right now. 

He’d made his way out to the stream, his tail lashing and his ears pressed to his skull. He didn’t remember a time when he’d held on to such emotions for so long; he wasn’t the type to let stress weigh him down, and was normally able to find the bright side of things without much trouble. But with everything that had been thrown his way in recent moons, he couldn’t shake the heaviness that tugged at his heart. He felt lost without Smokestar there to guide him; he was having to make decisions on things he normally wouldn’t have to worry about. And every time some-cat looked to him for the same duties that his leader normally fulfilled, his stomach sank further. He had never realized just how much he relied on her. He turned his eyes out toward the rushing water, pausing and attempting to force his posture to relax. He’d been tense for days; he was growing tired and sore, and an ache had settled directly behind his eyes. Stepping hesitantly into the shallows of the stream, Juncoberry tried to focus on the feel of the water between his toes. There had to be something that would ground him. He just had to find what it was.

Missa
    Participant

Mellowfrost
    Shadowclan Warrior

Mellowfrost had let out a soft sigh when leaving the Shadowclan camp, he needed some air. The large tom looked up and watched the birds flying across the afternoon sky and it somewhat made him feel better, it was overbearing in that camp. Things had been hectic after the events of the Gathering, Smokestar had gone into a coma. He wasn’t really at the Gathering, he stayed back in camp that night to sleep in before the dawn patrol in the morning but he heard the frantic noises of the cats that were returning with Smokestar’s body to get her to Hareflight and Wasppaw’s den. There had been questioning what happened, and more importantly how could Smokestar be woken up. Mellowfrost had been upset that his former mentor was stuck in this coma, the cream tom also saw the look of devastation on Ravenwatcher’s face when he saw his mate. It was tough times in their clan, and Mellowfrost knew his brother had to step up and be a leader for everyone.

The cream tom stopped when he saw Juncoberry standing in the stream, looking lost in thought. The older brother had been very busy lately, and Mellowfrost did his best to help as well. The younger brother would lead many patrols as he could, he was grateful that Shadepaw was extremely patient with him too when it came to training. He could tell that Juncoberry was overwhelmed with everything happening, but was hiding it well. The Shadowclan warrior made his way towards the stream and didn’t flinch when his paws hit the water. Mellow was used to the water since he spent 4 moons of his life in Riverclan with his mother and family, so he was introduced to it at an early age. The tom began pawing at the water for a moment and muttered “I’ve always hated fish, it was so weird to always eat it every day when staying in Riverclan.. I would always run to the fresh-kill pile to grab any land creature that was brought back.” He said, thinking of the amusing times when he would run of the nursery to call dibs on some mouse that a warrior brought back.. It was much simpler times back then.

“What’s on your mind?” He questioned his brother, turning to look at him with a frown. It looked like the deputy wanted to just have alone time and possibly vent. Mellowfrost would be there and support his brother, the younger tom noticed that Juncoberry looked very tired and he appeared to look sore and tired. Mellow took a seat in the water, to show that he wasn’t going anywhere and looked at the brown tom with a worried expression.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Missa.
    Juncoberry
    Participant

Juncoberry
    shadowclan deputy

Juncoberry heard his brother approach, and though he was surprised by his sudden appearance, Mellowfrost’s presence seemed to relax him slightly. He turned an easy grin on the other tom, though his eyes looked heavy. “Yeah, you brought that stink over here with you when you came,” he teased, flicking his tail to tap Mellowfrost on his flank. “It was weeks before you stopped smelling like you just crawled out of the river. ‘Stank up the whole camp.” He gave a soft laugh, rolling his eyes. He was willing to keep up the tough face he’d been displaying– as poorly as he’d managed, at least– but then his brother was looking at him and asking him what was on his mind. He hesitated a moment, his heart leaping into his throat as he debated whether he could say what he was actually thinking about. He was silent as he fought himself about it, but just as suddenly as he’d stiffened with the question, his shoulders slumped and he looked defeated.

He drew in a slow breath, releasing it in a sigh as his tail dropped behind him. “Do you think she’ll wake up?” he asked softly, his brows furrowing as he stared down into the water beneath him. “I don’t– Mellowfrost, I can’t do this without her. You know, I never thought I’d be deputy at all. I was happy bein’ just Juncoberry; I still don’t know why she picked me.” He chewed over his thoughts for a moment, his ears falling to his skull. “I’m not ready to lose her. She’s my friend; I still gotta figure all this out, and she’s the only one who can help me learn how to be a leader. Tawnypainter was deputy once, but any-cat can tell you that he’s not even worth asking. What am I gonna do?”

Missa
    Participant

Mellowfrost
    Shadowclan Warrior

The cream tom let out a playful scoff and with his paw, lightly flicked his paw so that a bit of water flew at Juncoberry. A satisfied grin appeared on his face, and the tom released a small sigh. It felt so long ago when he was brought into Shadowclan as a kit. The tom shook his head in amusement and looked at the water, poking it with his paw to cause a ripple effect “You think it was my fault when all we had in that camp was fish? I was practically trying to shove past full grown warriors as a kit so I can get a mouse or vole.” Mellowfrost said, releasing a dramatic sigh. His light green gaze looked over at his brother for a moment, noticing how quiet Juncoberry was. It had been a couple of rough moons, no one really knew how to react or do. With Smokestar’s sudden state, his brother had to step up quickly and lead the clan. It was probably a rough adjustment, to suddenly take a leadership role. 

Letting out a sigh, the tom rolled his shoulders slightly. It took a few moments to respond until Mellowfrost finally nodded “I think she’ll wake up, Smokestar always gets back up.. Even in the most toughest times.” He spoke about his former mentor. Smokestar had proved herself to be a very good leader, and everyone respected that. How the smoky she-cat was able to adapt quickly into her role after Hornetstar disappeared. The tom was thoughtful for a moment before spoke “I’ve always admired how you’ve worked hard, Juncoberry.” Mellowfrost confessed to his older brother, letting his guard down. Looking at the water for a moment, he turned to look at his brother with a small grin on his face “Remember that you’re not alone, I’m always here to help you if you need it and you have an incredible support system around you, cats that care and love you.” The cream tom said. Juncoberry had Tigershadow, and he was glad that his brother found someone.. But Juncoberry probably didn’t want his mate to get involved with what happened, after all the brown tom just came from Thunderclan not too long ago, it would take time to adjust.

“Smokestar was always fond of you, always said that I should follow your lead on things when she was training me.” Mellowfrost spoke at first, remembering his former mentor always encouraged her young apprentice to speak to one of his siblings. Letting out a soft breath, he grinned “It seems like she’s right, I’m glad that we did talk when we did.” He admitted to his brother.

Juncoberry
    Participant

Juncoberry
    shadowclan deputy

Mellowfrost’s words would’ve normally stroked the tom’s ego nicely, but in that moment he felt hollow. “I know she’s a strong cat,” he began, his tail flicking as he struggled to find the right words for what he was feeling. “I think this is bigger than us, though,” he admitted, “There are some things in this forest that… we can’t fix. What if we don’t find the fix for this? Sometimes being strong isn’t good enough if y’ain’t got luck to back it up.” He turned his eyes on his brother then, drawing a deep breath to try and steady himself as he felt panic rise in his throat. “And those jokers up in the stars ain’t helpin’ us, either. I don’t think they can help us now. Something just don’t feel right here; I think we are alone.”

Though he knew he could trust Mellowfrost, Juncoberry was wildly uncomfortable being so vulnerable with another cat like this; he began shifting his weight between his paws, his ears pressed firmly to his skull. “Of course Smokestar adores me– who doesn’t?– but being loved and working hard isn’t gonna get any-cat anywhere when half the forest is sick and dying.” He turned his eyes away, closing them and breathing a steady sigh. “You know,” he hummed, “I know I don’t really tell ya, but I’m glad we did, too. It’s nice to have some kind of family, y’know? Never really had any-cat but Freckleberry. ‘Don’t really get to talk to her much anymore, either…”

Missa
    Participant

Mellowfrost
    Shadowclan Warrior

He was watching the sun that was starting to set in front of the two brothers, Mellowfrost’s paw was playing in the water as it was lightly splashing the liquid and caused it to form a ripple. Mellowfrost let out a soft hum “If Starclan can’t help us find out a way to get rid of this mess.. How can we figure it out?” The cream tabby observed, it was more of a question towards them both and not his brother. He narrowed his green eyes and smacked the water in frustration which caused it to fly forward “It’s frustrating how there is no sign, or some kind of guidance right now.. We are alone, but for how long?” Mellowfrost asked as reality finally set in for him. What would happen if Starclan never came back? Would Shadowclan have to change their views and traditions? What about the other five clans?

He cleared his throat, trying not to overthink it. It looked like his brother was stressed and the last thing he needed Juncoberry to do was start to panic even more with a bunch of what-ifs. No, they would find some kind of way to speak with Starclan, there had to be a way “That kid Wasppaw, he’s got a good head.. I believe that he’ll get something.” The tom tried to reassure him, noting that the Healer to-be seemed to be very spiritually connected to their ancestors.. Out of all the Shadowclan cats, he would be the one to get something.

A small smile appeared on his face as he nodded, it was a moment that Mellowfrost would never thought he would ever get in his life.. A family moment. Letting out a small shrug “As long as we got each other, our small family will be just fine.. It’ll probably grow in time as well.” He said with a soft sigh, a million thoughts going through his head. But the tom pushed it out of his head and instead looked towards Juncoberry with a grin “You think we can finally kick Tawnypainter out of the clan? I promise that I won’t say anything.” He teased, knowing that the answer would still be no.. But he could have a bit of fun with his brother.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory The Stream Stay Cool and Focused – Junco/Mellow [closed]