Something Between Us [Startled/Nettle]

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp Something Between Us [Startled/Nettle]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nettlenose
    Participant

Nettlenose felt cold. Yes, the outside air was frigid with leaf-bares relentless chill, and yes frost clung to the camps frozen earth, but the cold that she felt seemed to resonate from inside. Things just seemed wrong lately. Firstly, the omen had come afoot, and its despair had left its mark upon her mind, still fresh from when it had come.  And then, Willowfur’s kitting…oh, how she’d wanted to curl up into a ball upon one of the kits being still-born. The sorrow she felt from her sister had shaken her very core, and of course she mourned the loss of her kin. It was a common thing for kits to be stillborn, but for it to be the kit of her sister had been something else.

Among these issues, there was Startledcrow. Aside from work-related speech, the dark colored tom seemed to be avoiding her, and it was driving he medicine cat to what felt like insanity. She feared that it was from her inability to save he and Willowfur’s kit, which gave her a horrid sense of guilt, but she also assumed it was because she did not disclose the information about the omen to him sooner. She wanted to. She still needed to, in fact, speak to him about it, but it had just been too soon. She had been too shaken, didn’t want the tom to be unnerved by how disturbed she was by the negative sign, and of course there was the fact that Wolfstar had requested she not share it with the tom yet. 

Her mind clouded with these negative things, these questions of what and why, she trotted slowly into the medicine cat den, a ball of dripping wet moss clamped lightly between her pearly teeth. She wondered if she should sleep, seek the advice of StarClan. They had been rather quiet since the omen, but she felt as though she wasn’t being the best healer she could be if she felt so down. Maybe she should go out and pick some herbs, that always gave her a rather delightful sensation…she couldn’t very well go and confide and seek comfort from Willowfur either. Things had been a bit distant since Startledcrow and she had found themselves at odds, and her father was too occupied with so many things. The medicine cat felt rather alone.

Feared
    Participant

Startledcrow ~ WindClan Medicine Cat

Since Nettlenose’s return from speaking with the other four clans with whatever she had apparently seen, Startledcrow had been sleeping outside of the den. Even though the winds had been a bit on the colder side, he did enjoy the fresh air and the twinkle of the stars above him. Most cats did sleep outside of the den, as was the WindClan way, however he wasn’t exactly used to sleeping under the stars. Tonight would prove most difficult as the rain was pouring from the heavens, thundering against the ground in rapid pit, pat, pit, pat, soaking everything within reach. Startledcrow quickened his pace as he ducked his head under the entrance of the medicine cat den, nostrils flaring instantly as he breathed in the familiar scents of the herbs. Although he was quite aware that Nettlenose was within the den, he couldn’t exactly bring himself to look at her.

Nettlenose has kept her vision a secret from him, and even though he had kept the secret of him and Willowfur being mates from her for a short time… it still felt wrong. Hell, even lying for that long had felt so wrong when it came to Nettlenose. But that had been personal, this had been professional! A sign from StarClan! He kept telling himself there was a difference but was there? But of course, she had kept it from him but told Wolfstar. Maybe that’s where his hurt lay. Nettlenose didn’t trust him enough to handle his own position, why bother? Dwelling on such ideals made him uncomfortable, rolling his shoulder blades for a moment while he stayed near the entrance of the den suddenly feeling the air shift to one of heavy tension. Quickly he shook out his damp pelt, water droplets falling to the ground as he cleared his throat, dark grey and black fur sticking up at odd angles. “Evening.” He grumbled in a deep voice, avoiding her gaze as he walked quietly towards his nest in the corner of the den, which had been vacant until tonight.

Nettlenose
    Participant

The journey had been tiring. Nettlenose and her father had traversed the lands to send the message of the ominous omen to the leaders of the five clans, all of which had responded differently but seemed to heed it fairly enough. Her stubby legs were tired, and she couldn’t wait to collapse into her own nest. Though something was off further. She noticed that the bedding that made up Startledcrow’s den seemed old, as if he hadn’t actually slept in it for some time, which made an uneasy feeling wash through her paws, her nose giving a little twitch. It was probably nothing…

The distracted medicine cat hadn’t even noticed when Startledcrow entered the den, his voice causing her shoulders to rise in a slight jump. She knew the voice, of course, the low rumble of the apprentice she had trained, the tone passive. She glanced briefly up at the tom as he crossed over to his nest, the shining droplets of rain water that clung to his dark pelt. Her heartbeat gained a slightly heavier beat as she gazed upon his form, sorrow washing over her as she realized he seemed not in the mood to talk to her still. She had hoped that upon her return things would have eased over.

Startledcrow.” Nettlenose greeted quietly after she set the ball of wet moss down, her fluffy tail resting against the ground, still. Her body seemed tired, her shoulders somewhat downwards and a foginess to her gaze. “How were things while I was gone? Is there anything major to report?” She asked, having not yet gotten a good chance to update on the healthiness of the clan.

Feared
    Participant

Only sign he gave Nettlenose that he had heard her was a single flick of his left ear, a soft sigh being released from his lips as he stepped into his nest. The nest was dry and crackled ever so slightly under his weight but he truly didn’t mind, he would just change it out in the morning. Chin tilting down as he rasped his tongue over his dark colored chest, drying the fur and laying the wild strands flat with the rough strokes of his tongue. He could hear the hesitation and the forced tone she was using as she spoke, trying to gauge a conversation. Can’t leave it alone, can ya? He thought to himself in an annoyed silent growl, his blue and milky blue eye were staring down at his paws as he took his time to reply. If he had spoken too soon, the attitude rolling off of his tongue would have been fatal. Startledcrow gave himself a moment before he responded, keeping his tone professional. “No one seems to be dead or ill since you left. I’d say we managed.” He shrugged, barely giving her a glance before he flopped down within his nest.

A soft sigh slipped past his dark lips as he actually enjoyed the slight poking of the dried moss through his pelt, chin tilting slightly for a moment as his one good eye briefly gazed at the herb stock for a moment. “I did collect more Sage and Mint… the stock had grown low and the supply plants had finally bloomed.” He meowed, although he kept his gaze on the herb stock, whiskers twitching for a moment before he shrugged. “I did try to find lavender, it’s been smelling a bit stale in here but I couldn’t seem to track any down.” He grunted before he laid his head down upon his paws, eyes closing as he gave a flick of his ear.

Nettlenose
    Participant

Nettlenose, by the awkward and stiff feeling in the air, had been sure that Startledcrow would let the conversation end after he had answered. Thus she was surprised when he picked it up again a short moment later, carrying on updating her about some herbs he had taken upon himself to replace, and some he hadn’t managed to find while poking around. As she listened to the tom speak of the herbs and the health of the clan, her heart swelled a little. The tom was truly a healer in every way, had exceeded her expectations and learned well, served his role as medicine cat even when he must feel she doubted him.

The fluffy she-cat turned to him with a sudden firmness, her round eyes bearing into him, no longer seeming able to avoid him as she seemed to have made up her mind. Nettlenose was always quite diligent when she had her mind set, her ears standing more alert as she straightened her stance. “Startledcrow, I owe you the most truthful of apologies.” She began, her tone certain and managing to be even. “I wronged you, its true. I should have come to you and sought your guidance as my equal, which you are, as soon as I had the omen. I can say I was shaken, and I was, but it doesn’t matter. I knew you could have comforted me, given me helpful insight on the dread I fear to come.” The molly continued.

The unfortunate truth is I’m a coward when I feel like trouble is coming beyond my control. Telling you what was going on was just another confirmation that something truly horrible was coming, but it shouldn’t have stopped me from confiding in you.” She she-cat dropped her head, lowering it in a respectful apology, her eyes scorching into the ground. The words she spoke she believed in deeply, and it felt necessary to get off her chest. He deserved this apology. She couldn’t bare the guilt any longer, or the pain of his distance. He was essentially her kin.

I’m sorry, Startledcrow. You mean as much as the moon to me, I truly love and care for you. I’m sorry for not being a better friend to you, and teacher. I hope what I’ve done hasn’t damaged us too terribly.

Feared
    Participant

He breathed in slowly for a moment, before finally lowering his head to rest his dark furred cheek against the dried out moss that made up his nest. Ears standing upright and twitching at the slightest sound of Nettlenose moving around in the den, although he really wasn’t paying her any mind as he was trying to tone her out. Trying to relax proved to be rather difficult as he could feeling the searing gaze of Nettlenose as she stared at his pelt, but he tried to ignore her as his tail tip twitched for a brief moment before her voice suddenly filled the stale air. Slowly he opened his eyes, bright blue eyes coming into view before he slowly lifted his chin and turned his cranium in the direction of his mentor as he finally landed his gaze upon her face. 

Nettlenose seemed distraught as she spoke but he had to keep his resolve, she hadn’t confided in him and had even left him out when she left with Wolfstar to speak with the other high ranks in the neighboring Clans. Running his tongue over his teeth, he eyed her curiously for a moment as she apologized. Startledcrow stayed silent as she spoke, allowing his chin to tilt for a moment as he didn’t dare interrupt her, although a furry eyebrow did rise when she called herself a coward. Slowly he pushed himself up from his nest, ears standing upright while his chin tilted in its normal position so he could see Nettlenose as he walked towards her. “I don’t blame you, I suppose. You must have had your reasons for not telling me.” He finally meowed with a soft sigh leaving his dark lips, eyes flashing with emotion. “But you can’t hide those things from me, Nettlenose. I’m here for you, I’m here for the clan. I can help.” Startledcrow muttered in a soft voice, moving a bit closer to her as he rasped his tongue across her ear. “I love you too, Nettlenose. You’re like a mother to me.” He admitted, his walls crumbling around him once more as he accepted Nettlenose’s apology. 

Nettlenose
    Participant

When the words had finished spilling from the molly’s mouth, she felt a flurry of different things. There was the relief of getting her thoughts off her chest, but also the unknowings of how the tom would react to her sudden burst of regrets. She could feel a slight weakness in her knees as her confidence began to ebb away and gave way to worry on how he would respond, if she deserved forgiveness just yet, if he needed more time…

Her fluffy head remaining lowered as she heard the tom rise, she braced for his words, her round eyes momentarily squinting shut before his voice carried through the air. His voice was…not angry, it seemed, dare she even take it as soft. As his tongue rasped affectionately across her ear, she raised her head quickly, her already large eyes growing wider in disbelief at Startledcrow’s empathy. Wise beyond his years, he truly was. She regretted not telling him even more.

The medicine cat melted a bit at his words, unable to not press her face into his shoulder, momentarily amazed as she always was by how tall he was now. She couldn’t look down on him like she literally had when he was but a new apprentice. This was her partner, her tie to StarClan. They worked together. A mother? She didn’t deserve that, but she couldn’t say she didn’t love to hear it. The molly felt as if she doted a bit on the tom like a mother indeed would, and she certainly regarded him as her own within her heart.

I promise I won’t hide something like this again. I’m proud of your strength Startledcrow, and I’m happy I can learn some things from you, like this.” She hummed. “And, what can I say, I’m still so happy for the joy you bring to my sister, and for what she brings to you. The kits…I want to spend so much time with them… The medicine cat said a bit dreamily, her tone soft. With no kits of her own, she adored the thought of doting on her sisters.

Feared
    Participant

He was surprised when she pressed her face into his shoulder, causing him to look down at her with an almost questioning gaze. Apparently their fight right before she had left with Wolfstar had been weighing heavily upon her heart and his distance didn’t seem to be favoring her either. Slowly a small smile found its way upon his face as she stepped back and spoke about Willowfur and his kittens. “You should see Willowfur more often, I believe she would love her sister around while the kits grow.” He smiled softly for a brief moment, although his smile faltered, he wouldn’t be around the kits as much as Willowfur for the simple fact was Stormkit looked too much like him for it to be a mere coincidence. 

Slowly he cleared his throat and looked at Nettlenose, his eyes watching her closely and carefully before he slowly sighed. “You seem.. wary.. or unsettled. Is everyone okay?” He finally asked his mentor, eyebrows drawing together in confusion before he settled himself down infront of her, while his ears stood upright. “Is it because.. of your vision?” Startledcrow asked, searching her expression. 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp Something Between Us [Startled/Nettle]