Simple Pleasures {OPEN}

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp Simple Pleasures {OPEN}

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Trout
    Participant

Troutspots ~ Warrior

Languid moonlight filtered into the cave with a soft, shimmering brilliance as the young huntress slid out from under the rushing cascade of water.  It had been a good hunt and for the first time in a long time, Trout was feeling like her old self now that a plump sandpiper was hanging limp from her jaws. Lean muscles spastically rippled under her thick, spotted pelt, sending a volley of water droplets flying into the cool darkness. Puffing out her chest in a sort of kit-ish pride the lanky warrior eagerly looked about the camp for the warmth of an approving smile or the glint of an amused gaze. She found none. Aside from the dull drumming of the waterfall the camp was quiet, the same stale, eerie silence that had blanketed the camp since the war’s end. Even though it was late, the emptiness of the camp made Troutspots feel uneasy. The dusky ginger fur at the nape of her neck instinctively rose up as the queasy sensation writhed about in her gut. There was nothing wrong. She knew that. The war was over and she should no longer have the need to keep looking over her shoulder. However, the spindly tabby was having trouble convincing herself of it. Paranoia poisoned her once cheerful demeanor, as her fierce amber eyes darted about the gloom. Hungrily searching for anything out of the norm.’ This is silly,’ she thought half-heartedly as she slowly tilted her head to look behind her. Her white-mitted paws once again began to trace a cautious path through the soft sand to the fresh kill pile as she slowly regained control over herself.  The bird landed on the pitiful pile with a light thud, and the little flame of her pride briefly flickered to life in her heart. It was not much but it was another step towards helping replenish ravaged clan. A shy smile crept across her rubbery lips as the ginger molly basked in the joy of this simple pleasure.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Trout.

Troutspots - Ivypaw - Pondstorm - Pinepaw

Pheebs
    Participant

“I should hope you’d bring more prey if you were to hunt for longer. Though, if that’s the product of many hours out hunting then I must say, unimpressive.” Sunleaf’s appearance was a moment after Troutspot’s, her first thought after stepping out of the medicine cat’s den being to check on the fresh kill pile. Her words held no venom, delivered with cold indifference and clearly not meant to be interpreted as an insult, though it very well could be. There were many things Sunleaf said and did that seemed like it should be rude or offensive, but seemingly weren’t from the apathetic way they were conveyed; and for those that have met Sunleaf they were familiar with her unimpressed looks and insistence on nothing less than perfect.

“There are no enemies here.” The older molly said after a moment of silence where she’d taken a moment to assess Troutspot. “It’s late, you won’t be able to fulfill your duties to the best of your abilities tomorrow if you aren’t well rested. Sit.” Sunleaf motioned to a comfortable spot nestled by the wall of the cave, brushing past the auburn and white tabby to retrieve a silver-scaled fallfish for the two of them. She walked with something caught between grace and militaristic, holding herself with pride but looking more like a soldier than anything else. Sunleaf dropped the fish at Troutspot’s feet and sat down, looking completely out of place. A molly like herself looked like she should be in constant motion, and usually she was, but at that moment with the moonlight flickering in past the crashing wall of water, Sunleaf seemed calm (if not a hair uncomfortable).

“The battle is over, there are no enemies here.” Sunleaf repeats, softer now. She was by no means a sensitive feline and would choke on her own tongue before having a heart to heart with anyone, mother or sister included. Despite what others may say, however, Sun was also not insensitive and knew when to be kind. 

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Pheebs.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Pheebs.
    Trout
    Participant

The stranger’s voice crashed over the spotted tabby like an icy wave. Cold and indifferent, the words drifted through the damp air and extinguished the feeble flame pride from her heart with a hushed breath. Troutspots cast her honeyed gaze towards the Medicine Cat’s Den with a renewed sense of urgency; fixing at once to the sun-kissed pelt as it eased away from the shadows. Quirking her head to the side, Troutspots drank in the visage of the apathetic molly with a mixture of curiosity and childish anger. This new voice had a form that was older and slightly shorter than Trout, but it was also more muscular and certainly more experienced than her. Though these were things that would seldom garner immediate respect from the impish warrior. Nevertheless, she afforded Sunleaf the small courtesy of finishing her droning critique before unleashing the pent up torrent of emotion upon the senior warrior.

It was unclear if it was out of the raw, irrational rage of youth or just common indignation that made the ruddy feline’s grin twist into a sour grimace. “I’m not hungry, nor am I tired.” Troutspots hissed in a childish fashion, as her pale paw flicked the silvery fish back towards the pile. “I also fail to see how the duration or number of preys caught on my solo hunt is any of your business, Sunleaf,” she continued, taking great care to ensure that each word that fell off her tongue was dripping with disdain. Trout had been brought into this world by cats who carried themselves with the same martial airs and did not care to be lectured by one who reminded her of them. She knew too well that such robotic disinterest and lack of emotion was a facade. Feeling a slight chill run through her damp fur, the russet she-cat folded tensed body into a stiff sitting position, wrapping her tail neatly around her paws. “The war may be over, but that still does not mean that I should not be cautious,” her mewl was a little softer now as she tried to compose a mask of her own. One that was meant to hide the truth of her anxiety from her clanmate and more importantly herself, but was at best ineffective.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Trout.

Pheebs
    Participant

Sunleaf hummed, tempted to roll her eyes but deciding against it. ‘More fish for me, then.’ The molly pulled the fish close to, the mask of detached exasperation never falling even as a cold ball of panic curl in her gut. ‘If she can’t take criticism then that’s her issue.’ Sunleaf let that thought loop in her head but it did little to ease the discomfort prickling beneath her skin. As the daughter of both a former clan leader and medicine cat, Sunleaf had grown up expecting others to want her to be perfect. No one had placed that burden on her but the side glances and murmurs had sown seeds that were too overgrown to get rid of now. Sun ignored her anxiety and insecurities in favor of praise and respect, and if that came at the expense of making friends… Well, she was already forty-eight moons and had plenty of time to move past the disappointment.

The older warrior raised her head to study Troutspots, giving the other a small nod. “It was a difficult battle… Forgive me for speaking harshly, there are many injured warriors and I fear for our clan if those that aren’t injured can’t bring home more than a bird or two.” Sunleaf didn’t hate apologies but they were always delivered with the same efficiency and directness that her criticisms were, so few were able to detect her sincerity. Another issue she’d fought to move past (and continued to fight). “If you aren’t hungry than would you please sit down? It is late, I dislocated my shoulder in battle and thus my temper is short, and my concern for this clan has made me sharp with my words. If you would like, I wouldn’t mind entertaining your attention for a bit before we have to retire for the night.” 

Trout
    Participant

“I’m already sitting down, mousebrain.” Troutspots tried to snarl, though it came out as more of an exasperated mewl. Bright amber eyes stared intently at the golden tabby as her half-hearted apologies fluttered aimlessly from her lips. Tipping her head to the side the young warrior sat a moment in pensive thought. Had Sunleaf truly meant it or was this just another criticism? It was difficult to tell, just as with almost everything the senior warrior said or did. Her annoying transparency was just another one of her disguises, that much was certain. However, something in her hollow words stirred up feelings of guilt. She allowed her irritation to drift away like a leaf in a stream, and in the liquid glow of moonlight on pale sand, she slowly folded her ears back against her head-as if admitting defeat. Trout had missed the opportunity to prove herself in battle but that was not the root of her shame.

No, that feeling came on the heels of the relief she felt when she saw the mangled, blood-stained coats of her comrades as they were ushered back into camp. She had been relieved because it was not her missing chunks of tails, fur, and ears and for that, she was rightly ashamed. As her father said, ‘Warriors are meant to be brave and strong,’ yet she had been so overjoyed that this disaster had passed her by. Did that make her a coward? Did that mean she was unfit to call herself a warrior? A frown unfurled across her maw and her brow furrowed in frustration, as she watched the sun-kissed molly limp about. Perhaps it would be better to see what the older cat could offer her. Perhaps she could help ease her unsteady heart. Lowering her speckled chin to her fluffy white chest, she rasped her rough pink tongue over her wet fur before speaking, “I’m sorry as well, I should have shown more respect given your current misfortune.  I’ll try to bring back more prey on my next hunt.” Long, white whiskers trembled as the brazen she-cat humbled herself before the wounded warrior. It was not in her nature to be so submissive, especially towards a cat she hardly knew. Yet still, she was eager to know what that battle had been like, how it was that so many had been so willing to cast themselves upon the claws and fangs so fearlessly. “Would you please tell me how exactly you hurt your shoulder?” She offered, perking her ears up slightly with a renewed sense of curiosity as her white-tipped tail swayed casually at her toes.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Trout.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp Simple Pleasures {OPEN}