Predator and Prey (Open for all!)

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory Oak Forest Predator and Prey (Open for all!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Rookfall
    Participant

Tigerstrike, ThunderClan Warrior

The forest buzzed with activity even as the colder months came upon them. Soon, the occasional rain that blessed the forest would freeze into sleet or snow. It would induce sleep upon the grass and kill the leaves from the trees. Some of the trees had molted, while others still retained their soft, bristle-like leaves. The scent of leaf litter and rain hung across the forest like a sheet. The warrior’s gait was strong and careful. It was obvious he was a Clan cat simply from the way he walked. His paws would flatten completely across the earth, taking up as much space as he could in order to reduce the pressure of his weight on one spot. It produced quieter, committed movements. His eyes, flashing golden, would pick up the sight of branches too brittle or too dry to step on, and he would navigate around them in his pursuit of prey. The tom-cat appeared quite true to his name. Like a tiger, he skulked the forest. From the holes in the canopy, thick, warm sunlight dappled his pelt in light while shadows claimed the rest. Thick, black stripes laced his fur, creating marbled patchwork across the dark brown. His white, powerful muzzle parted to accept the scents around him, always on the alert for danger.

Tigerstrike halted once he noticed a track embedded into the forest floor. A wide, heavy footprint pressed into the ground. He could make out the individual toes of the creature. He recognized the print belonging to a rabbit. Interest sparked his eyes as he stretched out his nose to sniff the track, then pressed part of his own paw to it. He could feel escaping heat from the mud and the scent told him that the mark was relatively fresh. It had been here an hour ago, and perhaps – with luck – it was still in the area. The warrior, pleased with this, lifted his head high into the air to follow the scent. The trail through thickets, across logs, and around trees or rocks was labyrinthine. This was why ThunderClan was the best at prowling through the undergrowth to find prey. Unfortunately for ThunderClan, sometimes that left thorns in their pelt. He could feel a burr sticking to his side now, but he was engrossed in his work. This rabbit would be an incredible find for ThunderClan. Concentrate, he thought as he continued into thicker undergrowth. The rabbit-scent was nearly overpowering now. Had he found a burrow?

The snap of a twig behind him destroyed all intent he had on the rabbit. His ears swiveled behind him and his claws unfurled from their sheathes. The fur along his spine rose along with his hackles as he prepared himself for battle.

“Destiny isn't a path any cat follows blindly. It is always a matter of choice, and sometimes the heart speaks loudest. Listen to your heart, because that's where your true destiny lies.”
    - Leafpool

Feared
    Participant

Darkberry ~ ThunderClan Warrior

Small paws were slowly bringing the feline forwards, body lowered to the ground as her belly fur gently brushed against the short dying grass. The undergrowth was thick in this area, but the scent of rabbit was heavenly and intriguing that the clan cat could barely resist taking a peek to see if she could get a lucky catch today. Pupils narrowed into thin slits as she peered through the thin and twisted branches of the combined bushes, shoulder blades gently brushing against the flat green and brown leaves. Rabbits were agile creatures that could twist their figures elegantly through the gnarled mess that lay before her, releasing a soft sigh before she breathed in. Decaying leaves and the evening mist delicately coated her scent glands, dark orange eyes flickering towards her left as the scent of rabbit was almost too overpowering to ignore. Although she didn’t detect the scent of her fellow clanmate, his scent was downwind and therefore she hadn’t detected him just yet.

Shifting through the bush, she looked down at the moist earth, noticing how trodden it was with the many broad and small prints of rabbits, obviously this trail was well used. Smirking to herself, paper-thin ears stood upright as she heard shuffling ahead of her, just on the other side of the bush. Long tail whipping out behind her as she kept her balance, delicately stepping through the small spaces within the bush, her pelt gently brushing against the leaves and raked by the twisted branches. Peering through the bush, she caught sight of the small rabbit that was nibbling at a broken twig, it’s beady little eyes solely focused on its next meal. Darkberry instantly held her breath, honestly surprised she had gotten this close to the small furry creature without being detected. Dark orange eyes watched its every move, chin tilting as the muscles within her shoulder blades tensed, preparing to leap.

One…. Two… She counted down within her mind, the world seemed to stay still until the bush suddenly opened up, leaves flying as the black, white, and grey she-cat leaped from her hiding position, paws landing right where the rabbit had been. Grunting from the impact of her landing, dark orange eyes were glued onto the furry rabbit as it began to run, its little legs thumping harshly against the moist evening dirt. Clicking her tongue against the roof of her mouth, she gave chase, her long legs propelling her forwards, claws outstretched to give her a better grip with each thrust forward she made. One fox length… three tail lengths… Darkberry was catching up to the rabbit, unknowingly her dainty paws snapped a nearby twig as she ran, jumping over a tree root as the rabbit was within her reach, muscles straining as she pushed herself to be faster, lips parting as she was getting ready to snag the wee critter.

Suddenly dark brown and black marbled fur came into focus as the rabbit cunningly slipped underneath the startled tomcat, chin lifting as she spotted Tigerstrike, paws flailing as she tried to stop herself from colliding into the tom. However, she had been in a full run and hadn’t noticed the other Warrior given the frenzy of her hunt. “Oof!” She gasped out as her tall and slender frame collided into the hard muscled chest of Tigerstrike, both cats loosing their balance and falling from the impact. She landed close to the tomcat, her front paws on his shoulder and her lower body laid upon the damp ground.

Darkberry immediately started to laugh, ears pinning back against the crown of her head as she tried to regain her breath, chest rising and falling swiftly. “Well.. I’ll never live this down.” She chirped, annoyed and embarrassed with herself as she quickly picked herself off of the tomcat, her whiskers twitching. “I am so sorry, Tigerstrike.. I didn’t realize until it was too late.” She admitted sheepishly, hoping she hadn’t upset him too much before she quickly meowed. “I didn’t hurt you did I?” She asked while making a regretful expression, her shoulder and chest hurt a wee bit from the collision but other than that she was fine, besides her ego being bruised.

Rookfall
    Participant

Tigerstrike, ThunderClan warrior

Tigerstrike was made from marble with how still he was standing. His brown tabby pelt would blend in with the dark bark around him, hopefully concealing him from whatever was making the racket in the woods. His golden eyes was the only thing that stood out from what was around him. They were peeled to watch the forest. His fur-tipped ears did not twitch, although his heart beat quickened as the crashing and cracking came closer and closer. Every second, a twig snapped or leaf rustled, but he did not see anything. His eyebrows furrowed. As he listened to the scuffling, he picked up the sound of four sets of paws. One creature was lighter than the other, but its steps were quicker. Was it a predator and prey? A fox with its cubs? His curiosity only rose once the sounds came closer. It sounded frantic. The warrior’s black claws flexed across the earth. He did not know what was coming, but he was ready for it. Tigerstrike prepared to lower himself into a crouch, but what happened next was so fast he could barely register what happened.

There had been flashes of black. Streaks of gray. Indistinguishable forms due to their high speeds, until his eyes adjusted his focus. He recognized the agile, fluffy form of the rabbit, its eyes wide with fear as it ran. It was evading its chaser, a lithe creature of shadow. The rabbit could make for a decent meal. It was fat, despite the weather. Yet, before he could reach down and snatch it from the ground, it zipped beneath him and into the forest thickets. A snarl rippled from him and his tail lashed, until all intention was ripped away by the impact of his attacker. The projectile’s speed sent him spiraling to the earth and away from her. He rolled onto his side and released a soft, weak sound. He was more surprised than pained, although he would be feeling THAT bruise in his chest. Tigerstrike looked over to what made him stumble, only to see Darkberry, his Clanmate. She was laughing, as if this was some grand prank she was doing on him. He wouldn’t put it past her, but it seemed like a genuine mishap. The tom flashed a broad smile and he shook his head. Laughter reminiscent of rolling waves of thunder left him as well. He flipped onto his paws and rose to shake away the burrs and leaf debris.

“Only my pride,” he responded to her, his yellow eyes flashing with amusement. A clear smirk touched his lips as he gazed at her, one of his brows cocking. “You were fast! I almost thought a WindClan cat was attacking me,” he purred, walking up to her side to flick his ringed tail playfully at her flank. “Sorry I made you lose your catch, but I think it makes up for scaring the entire burrow of rabbits away! If we starve, I’ll tell the Clan who to blame.” He was merely joking, of course. It happened, but what was the fun of letting her live this one down? He would be laughing at this for quite a while.

“Destiny isn't a path any cat follows blindly. It is always a matter of choice, and sometimes the heart speaks loudest. Listen to your heart, because that's where your true destiny lies.”
    - Leafpool

Feared
    Participant

She shook out her black, white and grey dappled coat, little bits of forest debris landing around her, skin warm with embarrassment as Tigerstrike looked at her with a rather bewildered look upon his maw before he too had started laughing! She grinned weakly, clearly she had made a grave mistake with zoning out her environment, but it was rather humorous. She relaxed a bit when he stood up with ease, clearly she hadn’t hurt him enough for it to show, but she still felt awkward that she made such a rookie mistake. Tail lashing out behind of her as she chuckled when he mentioned that she had only hurt his pride, rolling her eyes for a brief moment. “I’m sure it’ll mend.” She teased right back, her own orange eyes glistening with amusement. Upon hearing him compliment how fast she had been running, she blinked in surprise, had she really been running that fast? “Well I apparently wasn’t running fast enough.” She huffed, eye’s flickering in the direction of which the rabbit took to escape her claws. “Smart bunny.” She grumbled.

Feeling his tail lightly flick against her flank caught her attention once more, causing her slender cranium to turn in the direction of the tomcat, pupils narrowing as she dead panned. Clearly he was joking, but the Tom was rather popular within the clan and she found that somewhat intimidating. “You wouldn’t.” She gasped softly, giving him a look for a moment before she grumbled softly. “Maybe it wasn’t the whole burrow.” Darkberry muttered, flashing him a look as her long tail swayed to lightly flick his muzzle, smirking as she did so. “Well… I’ll definitely let them know who spoiled my catch.” She teased right back, grinning as she shifted to gently bump her shoulder blade against his own. “Come on, the rabbits clearly know we are here. Let’s see if we can track something down.” She meowed in a cheery tone, her tail and hips swaying with grace as she stepped lightly over the leaf littered forest floor, ears upright.

Rookfall
    Participant

The young tom-cat crowed with laughter upon her smart comment. “Ouch! My ego isn’t that big, yet. I’m secretly still a little, insecure apprentice, you know.” Tigerstrike’s eyes widened into doe-like orbs and he jutted out his lip playfully, only to smirk once more. He remembered when he and Darkberry had been apprentices. They did not talk much, and perhaps that was his fault. Tigerpaw was not nearly as confident as Tigerstrike. He had been a chubby, shy kit who grew into a huge, awkward apprentice. While his weight was teased in his youth, it gave him a stark advantage against the other apprentices during battle training. He grew into a formidable fighter once the extra weight hardened to muscle, and he never again heard a smart remark about it. Training had been his life back then – a desperate effort to gain validation from those around him. Now that he had it, he wasn’t sure what to do with it. This moment with Darkberry, it didn’t seem so awkward. Perhaps it was time to strengthen the gap between himself and old acquaintances.

“you’re right, I wouldn’t,” he reassured her. The lumbering tabby bumped into her gently. Then, his great maw cracked a toothy, mischievous grin. “Or would I?” Tigerstrike pranced ahead upon her suggestion to catch the rabbits they missed. He was in a rather good mood for the moment, despite the previous mishap. He was a rather foolish creature when around his Clanmates. “I have an idea! One of us could chase the rabbits, and the other could catch the rabbits. You said you couldn’t run fast enough, and I know I can’t, so why don’t we work together? Teamwork! I knew that partner training we received as apprentices would come in handy one day.”

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Rookfall.

- Leafpool

Feared
    Participant

She had simply rolled her eyes when Tigerstrike commented about his ego, letting her chin tilt for a moment as her dark gaze scanned his face, finding amusement as he made his eyes big and doe like while his lower lip jutted out like a kit begging its mother. She laughed at the sight of it, shaking her head for a moment as she commented. “Insecure? Yeah right.” She snorted, giving him a look before she looked ahead of herself, body lowering as she avoided a low hanging branch, her claws still digging into the soft dirt below to keep her balance. “I think I can already hear your ego trying to mend.” She laughed, finding amusement with their constant banter, orange eyes scanning the forest as they walked a few paces forward, her small nose twitching as the scent of rabbit invaded her scent glands.

Only when Tigerstrike gently bumped his shoulder blade into hers, did she side glance at him, her nostrils flaring as she released a soft snort. Clearly he was being a thorn in the side about teasing her, but it was probably her fault for getting riled up so easily. “You wouldn’t.” She purred with eviction, picking up her pace to keep in tow with the lumbering Tom. “You simply wouldn’t want to face my wrath.” She teased with a scrunch of her nose, giving a false angered expression, which didn’t hold for long as she was instantly smiling once more. Although he pranced forwards once more, causing her attention to be fully on him as he exclaimed that he had an idea, her chin tilting and her ears flopping slightly from the quick movement.

Silently she agreed with him, Tigerstrike was too tall and too heavy with muscle to be able to run fast enough, although he could pack one hell of a punch in order to land the killing blow. “Alright.” She nodded, easily giving into the idea as she found it rather appealing. “I’ll scout ahead and lead the rabbits down the incline.” Darkberry suggested, glancing towards Tigerstrike as she walked in his direction, expression playful as her shoulder bumped into his chest. “Make sure you catch one.” She grunted, glancing at him with a smirk on her lips before she started to trot ahead of their current position, staying as quiet as she could while keeping her nose in the air. If there were any rabbits around, then she would certainly find them.

Rookfall
    Participant

Tigerstrike chuckled, shaking his head. “I’ll break the news to Peachblossom. With the rate at which I’ve healed my ego, StarClan will beg me to become our next medicine cat.” The two were speaking as if they were apprentices still. He felt like he was stealing to the woods with a friend to avoid their chores. Except this time he did not have a mentor to wring his neck once they returned home laden with rabbits instead of moss. From his kithood, he remembered the talks he had with his father. His parents were in love, but they argued constantly. As he became older, his father became more open to him about his relationship with his mother. Tigerstrike was always told that the Dark Forest knew no wrath like a she-cat’s anger. He knew he should be afraid, but he also knew that StarClan had created a rather idiotic young tom. He merely scoffed. “Oh, I am positively shaking in my fur, Darkberry!” He shook himself as if to illustrate his point, then smirked as she stole ahead. He hung back, his golden eyes bright with mirth. It wasn’t his fault that he didn’t catch the rabbit! Oh, the audacity! “Yeah, well, make sure to keep your eyes open this time!” He retorted.

The tabby tom snorted once she disappeared into the trees to track down the rabbits. He had the better job, he reckoned. All he had to do was wait and catch a few of the fast creatures. He opened his jaws to take in the scents around him. He recognized Darkberry’s scent, then the faint ones of the rabbit trails. The wind blew against his tongue, meaning he was downwind. The rabbits would not scent him; he would scent them, though. Tigerstrike crossed over to a thicket and lowered himself down to the earth. He pressed his belly to the damp ground and kept his head low. He could feel every shake of the ground against his belly. He would be sure to feel every pawstep now, once they came thundering through. This plan was absolutely foolproof, he thought. What could go wrong this time?

- Leafpool

Feared
    Participant

She scoffed as he called out after her, rolling her eyes with amusement as she could tell she had struck a small nerve. No matter, his plan was a good one and hopefully she could lead a rabbit or two in the direction of the large tomcat. Pupils narrowed as she brought her surroundings in closer, the wind wasn’t entirely in her favor going up the slope, it kept shifting through the trees, causing her to zig-zag through the large oak trees. Slowly she sheathed her claws, soft paw pads were nearly silent upon the dead leaves that scattered the ground, ears twisting upon her head as she listened for any movement. Nose twitching with the scent of rabbit, but the little critters weren’t close enough for her pin point their current location. Deciding that they weren’t nestled within the large roots of the trees or the small bushes that managed to grow on the incline, her tall figure hunched as she kept herself from standing to her full height, worried she would startled potential prey as she moved upward.

Rubbery lips parted as she breathed in the air around her, her tongue tingling with the many scents that surrounded her but her primal instincts only zoned in on one particular scent. Rabbit. She thought silently, standing to the side of a broad oak tree, her pelt rubbing against the bark as her dark orange eyes landed upon the small grey-brown rabbits that were munching away at the crab grass. Three rabbits ate while one was sitting upright on its hind legs, glancing about here and there as it kept an eye out for potential danger. Smirking faintly, she shifted to where she was hunkered down low, her belly fur barely brushing up against the ground as she stalked forwards, small paws parting the grass she walked along the edge of the forest line.

Tail lower and centered, she was able to keep her balance while stalking at such a low crouch, whiskers twitching once as she was deep in thought, trying to keep quiet and out of sight long enough to get herself into position. The rabbits would run at the first sight of her and she needed them to be panicked enough to turn and run down hill. Slowly she lowered herself into a tight crouch, the muscles along her shoulder blades and back were tight as she prepared to leap, the fur along her shoulders ruffled gently against her cheek as the breeze changed direction. She stilled, eyes widening for a moment as she watched all the rabbits in the small meadow lift their noses and scent the air, mentally growling she sprung from her hiding place. Darkberry rushed from the tall grass, two rabbits ran for the side lines, jumping over bushes and scrambling under roots while one rabbit panicked just enough with the sight of the hungry feline rushing towards it that it turned swiftly and began to run down hill.

A soft growl emitted from her throat with delight, she surely enjoyed a good chase. Long legs took long strides as her paws thumped against the ground, her tail wildly waving behind her as she gave chase after the rabbit, although she would have to be careful. One trip going down this slope and she could injury herself, although her mind was clearly locked in on this rabbit and making sure it made it to Tigerstrikes jaws. Lips parted as she snapped her jaws behind the rabbit, the sound of teeth snapping together was enough encouragement for the rabbit to keep moving forward, almost stumbling over its own broad feet. Darkberry lowered her head to snap her jaws once more, blinking as she leapt over a thick root that was twisting its way out of the ground, landing gracefully as she continued her chase down the slope of the ravine, ears pinned back against her head as her dark orange flickered about as she kept an eye out for Tigerstrike, she didn’t want another collision repeat.

Rookfall
    Participant

Tigerstrike hummed soft laughter as Darkberry finally took off into the woodland. It was only a few bounds before he could no longer hear her pawsteps against the earth. She was as light as a feather and as quick as lightning; he knew she had this, no matter how hard of a time he gave her. The tabby warrior slipped beneath the brush of a thicket and flattened his belly to the earth. His tail curled beneath him and his claws slowly slid from their sheathes. The earth was wet beneath his sensitive paws. The forest had been blessed with rain rather than snow, and he could smell the peaty, sweet soil now that he was so close. His paper-thin ears strained to hear any sound that differed from the typical bird song and wind through tree limbs. Where is she? He wondered. Impatience pricked his toes and he resisted the urge to twitch his ears. He knew hunting took time, but Darkberry was quick and rabbits were easy to track. His golden eyes peered through the holes in the bush and tried to find streaks of movement. It was when he heard the glorious melody of paws striking the damp earth that he allowed himself a sense of relief.

He parted his jaws and took in the scent of the air. He was downwind from his targets, meaning they had no clue he was hiding here. They thought they had made a quick getaway from their feline attacker. Tigerstrike bit back a triumphant purr as he waited for the rabbits to come closer yet. Once he felt the vibrations were as close as they would come, he leaped from his hiding place and twirled to meet them. Fear-scent radiated from the three rabbits in waves once the dull creatures realized they had stumbled into a trap. The warrior hissed triumphantly and lurched onto the closest hare. Just as it turned to flee, he snapped up the speckled fur in his jaws. He felt the rigid bone break clean beneath the pressure of his powerful jaws; the rabbit was dead in an instant, just like that. Quick as an adder, Tigerstrike ripped up earth as he pelted after the second rabbit that tried to make a getaway. He noticed the third bounding away in a different direction, closer to Darkberry again. “Darkberry!” Tigerstrike meowed to her sharply. “On your right!” He said nothing more as he refocused back onto his second catch.

He was faster than he gave himself credit for. Although he was not a distance runner, he was excellent at sprinting. He caught up to the second rabbit and lunged just as it tried to flee into the nook of an exposed oak root. The tabby warrior’s claws caught a leg, bringing it down to roll in the mud. He was on it in a second, his teeth grabbing up its scruff. Its back legs kicked desperately in an effort to claw away. Surprise lit his eyes as he wrestled it to the ground, then slashed a deep wound across the supple skin of its throat. The back leg, in one last heave, caught his shoulder. The thorn-sharp claws tore through his fur to draw dark blood, but Tigerstrike was thankful that was the only injury he took away from the encounter. He heard of hares disabling warriors – blinding their eyes or breaking their paws with how powerful their bites were. The little scratch was a small price to pay for two healthy kills.

- Leafpool

Feared
    Participant

She was too focused on the one rabbit that split from the group of two, her dark orange eyes zoned into the mottled brown and grey form of the rabbit as it moved swiftly, trying to detour her hunt while zig zagging. However, she was a skilled huntress and knew the trick well, staying to the right as the rabbit seemed to linger there the longest before swiftly bounding to the left, her nimble paws moving amply against the ground, just long enough to keep her upright before lifting swiftly across the ground as she ran. Speed and stamina were her lucky traits, having gained these genetics from her parents had been a lucky stretch indeed. Small snarls and hisses could be heard somewhere to her left, although she tried to tune them out as her rabbit jumped over another upturned oak root, causing her to growl with annoyance as she jumped gracefully over the root, regaining her speed as the rabbit rushed to the right.

Ears twitched as Tigerstrike sharply called out to her, but her whiskers had already sensed the shift in the breeze from the rabbit, causing her to veer more so towards the right, her body almost vertical as she jumped at the closest oak truck, long talons digging into the rough bark before she propelled herself forward with added strength and speed from the steady oak, reaching out a claw as she fell onto her paws. Claws sunk into the hind quarters of the rabbit, causing the wee critter to shout in surprise and pain, while also trying to turn sharply in order to dislodge her paw. Growling, Darkberry moved quickly as she landed on all of her paws, using the paw connected to the rabbits hip to pin down the critter, lifting another paw to swiftly pin down the head of the rabbit before she took the back of the neck in her mouth. With a swift and fluid movement, she broke the stiff bone within the rabbits neck, the critter instantly going limp and it’s breathing ceasing. Releasing the rabbits neck, she began to pant from the exertion she had just put herself through, the toes of her fore paws tingling with soreness from the quickness of her run, but her muscles felt relaxed from being put to good use.

Catching her breath, she lowered her head and took the scruff of the rabbit into her mouth, picking up her prize off of the ground. Using her sense of hearing, the sonar like ears rotated upon her head to detect the soft sounds of large paws stepping along the fallen leaves, hearing the lumbering tomcat before she saw him. Stepping around the large trunk of an old oak tree, her pupils narrowed as her eyes landed on Tigerstrike, hesitating slightly when her nose tingled with the metallic scent of blood both radiating off the rabbit and the Warrior. Lowering her rabbit near a tree root, her tail tip twitched as she moved towards the large cat to inspect his shoulder. “Nice. Those won’t scar though, what a pity.” She joked lightly, running her tongue across the torn flesh once to catch the beading droplets of blood, hopefully it would clot soon and scab. Her tongue tingled at the taste of his blood, but she ignored the sensation while looking at his two kills, a satisfied purr vibrating along her vocal cords. “Excellent catches.” She meowed with a grin, her pelt ruffled.

Rookfall
    Participant

The tom-cat released a rush of amused breath through his nose. He did not mind that the distance between them minimized to nothing. She was so close, her scent overwhelmed him. It was sweet and sharp – mint and some sort of berry. Blackberry? No, raspberry, he corrected himself, recognizing the scent the longer he studied it. The soft prick of her tongue across his wounds brought him back. He curled a lip, discomforted by the pain in his shoulder. He snorted softly, his golden eyes shining with amusement. “Right? I think it would really add to my aesthetic. I can’t be a cool warrior without some cool scars to top it off.” His grimace transformed into a grin. He turned his gaze to his shoulder to inspect the damage. Darkberry’s fussing rid him of the worst of the bleeding, but the surface was still soft and vulnerable. He’d be alright, he surmised. If it got any worse, he’d see Peachblossom, but for now, it was barely more than a nick. His companion’s praise made him glow with pride. Tigerstrike smirked and nodded to her catch. It was a brilliant one as well, but he couldn’t let her have it that easily. “Finally got one, did you? All by yourself!” He teased, bumping her shoulder with his. He left her side to take one of his catches by the leg. The hare was heavy; he heaved it from the ground with effort, but by the time he collected the second hare, he was dragging his catches across the earth. “ThunderClan’s going to eat like StarClan warriors for the next moon, thanks to us! I mean – me.” He caught himself, lifting his head high with pride. “The brilliant hero, Tigerstrike, and his okay sidekick. Alright, alright – I’ll let you have it – co-hero.”

- Leafpool

Feared
    Participant

She smirked slightly for a moment when he commented that the wounds would have made a good story, looking towards his shoulder briefly for a moment more before she gave a slight shrug. “True. Could have told the kits of the clan that you received those scars from the killer rabbit.” She snorted, laughing at the ridiculousness of it, morally from her being able to picture the scene of it. Tigerstrike seeming to serious and scared at the same time to give the kits the mood of the encounter, the kittens faces of mortification at the thought of a killer rabbit attacking warriors of the clan. “Yeah, would have been a good one.” Darkberry snickered, lowering her head to gently rasp her tongue over the ruffled black, grey and white fur along her chest, trying to sooth out some of the tangles before her ears caught his tease, pausing mid-lick as she lifted her chin in order to gaze at the tomcat as his shoulder gently bumped against her own. Pupils narrowing softly for a moment as he walked past her, teeth gently nipping at his tail as it moved past her face. “Finally catch one, my tail.” She snorted slightly, although she knew he was teasing, she was letting him know that he wouldn’t have caught that many rabbits without her herding them in his direction.

Watching as he picked up his hares, she moved towards her slightly smaller rabbit, sniffing it’s pelt before she took hold of its scruff once more, a small grunt of effort leaving her lips while she held her chin up high to keep from dragging most of the rabbit across the ground. Pupils narrowing with amusement as Tigerstrike spoke, letting her chin tilt as her dark orange eyes landed on his face as he went on to call her a sidekick. “You are no longer funny.” She grumbled around the fur and skin of the rabbit in her mouth, side walking to gently push him towards the left while she smirked and lifted her tail. “I better be a co-hero.” She chimed musically, eyes shimmering with her mischief as she glanced towards the tomcat. He was right, the clan would eat good with these mighty fine catches.

Rookfall
    Participant

A gentle prick lanced his tail, causing him to whirl around to see what had done it. The thorn-like hold was not from a bush, but from where the she-cat had nipped him. Tigerstrike offered a soft laugh and grinned. He fell in  beside her as he carried the two rabbits through the thick undergrowth. “Alright, I’m done fooling around,” he promised, “lets head back to camp.” The tabby warrior walked up the slope with effort. Sometimes, the rabbits would be snagged by the thorns or bushes around him, and he would have to paw the branches back so he could squeeze through. His back paws would slide against the mud as he trekked his way up the ravine; he was lucky he did not fall. What an injury that would be! He wanted a scar, but a concussion would do him no good. By the time he reached the thorn barrier, his paws were covered in dirt and burrs stuck to his long fur. He could feel them pinch at his skin, annoying him to no end. He had a crick in his neck from the weight of the rabbits, which was only relieved by placing the two catches onto the fresh-kill pile.

He sighed in relief and grinned at his hunting companion. “We made it!” He purred, then his eyes brightened, as if he had just received a good idea. “Maybe we deserve one of these rabbits, mm? What do you say? We could share tongues over a good meal. I don’t believe we’ve ever had the pleasure of speaking like this.” His expression softened. Despite his incessant teasing, he had enjoyed the hunt with Darkberry – and he had nothing left to do until his shift on the dusk patrol.

- Leafpool

Feared
    Participant

She simply snorted in reply when the tomcat said he was done messing around, her chin still held high as she tried to keep most of the rabbit from dragging along the damp earth underfoot. However, even though she was tall for a she-cat, she wasn’t as tall as the lumbering tomcat and even he seemed to have a slight difficulty with trailing the large rabbits up the slope. Claws dug into the soft soil, digging into the moss and small patches of grass that dared to grow along the forest floor, giving her some traction and something to hold onto in order to pull herself and the rabbit upward. Her catch was heavy, but she refused to put the rabbit down, she had worked too hard for this catch to simply put it down or drag it because of the growing exhaustion and kink in her neck. Tigerstrike wasn’t having that much of an easier time, his paws kept slipping from under him and his large catches kept getting caught along the ground and near the thorn barrier. Smirking, she walked a bit behind him to make it a little easier on him, her paw reaching out as her claws snagged a thorn covered bramble branch, pulling it away from his leg before it could be caught in it. Both of their paws were covered in mud, although his pelt was more so ruffled with burrs than her own was, which caused to lightly chuckle with amusement.

Nostrils flared as she breathed in and out, trying to regulate her breathing after walking up a slope and then having the drag this rabbit all the way back to camp. Lowering her head, she stood beside of Tigerstrike while lowering the prey onto the fresh-kill pile, lips still parted as she panted. Dark orange hues flickered up towards Tigerstrike’s face as he exclaimed that they had made it, his positive energy was definitely contagious and she found herself smiling regardless. “Yes.. we did.” She huffed through her pants, her swiftly beating heart taking it’s sweet time with slowing down. Before she could look away from the Tom, he captivated her attention once more, his golden eyes bright, drawing in her curiosity. Although, she would admit she was surprised that he would even be interested in sharing a meal with her and let along tongues… but perhaps a friend would be nice. Tigerstrike’s softening expression, expressed to her that his offer was genuine, which sparked a small purr from her. “A rabbit sounds lovely.. you pick.” She gestures to the rabbits, she wasn’t a huge eater but she had seen toms pack away more meat that she could even try in a week. Grinning, she allowed him to pick the meal, while she turned on her heels and walked towards a sunny patch, the air was cold and dry and some sun to warm her speckled pelt seemed divine. Slowly she lowered her tall and slender figure onto the ground, her tail tip twitching as she watched Tigerstrike curiously.

Rookfall
    Participant

A warm feeling nestled within him as she agreed to his idea. There was something grand about having a friend on the same schedule as him. His other friends – cats he had spent his Nursery days with – were always busy nowadays. He could barely speak three words to them before they were called for a patrol or their paws were struggling to stay upright. That was the price of being young warriors, he supposed. Maybe when they were older, life would finally slow down enough for them to enjoy it. Like now. Tigerstrike gazed upon the two rabbits placed in the pile. He chose the skinnier one; his Clan would need all their strength for the upcoming winter. He snatched it up by it’s thick hind leg, then flicked his tail-tip against Darkberry’s flank to gain her attention. He gestured to the shade beside the quiet mulberry thicket, then led the way to his choice of lounge. 

Tigerstrike dropped the fresh-kill and stretched out across the earth. His belly pressed into the cold earth, cooling his skin beneath his dense fur coat. A contented sigh slipped from him and he pressed a paw onto the rabbit’s flank. He locked his jaw onto one of the hind legs then tore it away with a single swift yank. Bone and tendon snapped before he was rewarded with the fruit of his labor: a tender, large rabbit thigh. The warrior purred and rested it between his paws, allowing his friend to choose from the rest of the rabbit. “I don’t know about you, but I’m so hungry I could eat a badger! I thought my appetite would slow since I became a warrior, but I swear, I think I can eat more now.” Tigerstrike grinned at her with a soft laugh. “Just call me Tigerbelly, right?”

- Leafpool

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory Oak Forest Predator and Prey (Open for all!)