out of sight, out of mind (what a lie) [CLOSED]

Forums SkyClan SkyClan Territory out of sight, out of mind (what a lie) [CLOSED]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pheebs
    Participant

You’re stupid, you’re stupid, you’re stupid. That was Morningpaw’s current mantra as she padded toward the border, jumping at the rustle of every tree branch as it knocked into the other, bristling with every scratch of shifting leaves. Around her the world seemed far louder than she remembered it being this morning when she’d woken up before the sunrise, the stars fading but the moon still smiling down at her. She’d stayed up for hours, just sitting inside her nest with the soft sounds of sleeping felines her only companions. Come sunrise Morningpaw’s mentor had finally woken up, but she was quick to lie and say, “Oh, Gorsewhisker is taking me hunting! I’ll be out for a bit… I-If that’s okay..?” Then, of course, she’d stared at Adderface with her big blue eyes, silently begging him to fall for the lie. The golden molly knew her brother was an insomniac, a very active insomniac, and had been awake to hear the almost inaudible pattering of paws as they left camp. Gorsewhisker was probably hunting or walking around, hoping he wouldn’t run into Adderface… But the point was that she’d gotten out of camp safely, her lie hanging like a noose around her neck, adding on to the weight of anxiety that’d been creeping up on the apprentice with every step she took closer to the SkyClan border. 

“What if he doesn’t want to see you?” Morningpaw came full stop, azure orbs unfocused as a frown tugged on her lips. “You’re probably imagining him wanting to be your friend. I mean, c’mon, you’re… you.” The pale golden she turned on her paws, fully prepared to head back where she came. The rustle of grass stopped her.

Roach
    Participant

Minkpaw ~Skyclan Apprentice

Glancing cautiously over his shoulder as he stealthily sneaks out of the apprentice den. Staring at his caramel brown paws as he avoids stepping on dry leaves. His tongue sticking out in concentration, his snowy white tipped ears perking up as he listens for anyone nearby. Grinning giddily as he slips out of Skyclan camp. It had taken the apprentice longer than he had expected, but Minkpaw had wanted to be cautious when leaving. With everything that had happened at the gathering; everyone was on their guard. Tensions were higher than ever before, even the usually easy-going tom could tell that trouble was brewing in the air.

Trying his best to remain casual, even though all he wanted to do was dash to the border to meet with his friend; Morningpaw. After all; he never got to explain to the shy golden molly why his name hadn’t been announced at the gathering. It felt oddly different traveling through the birch forest at the peek of dawn, slivers of golden light filtering through the interwoven ashen branches, setting the forest a glow. It was comforting but eerie at the silence around him, gulping down his nerves as he gets closer and closer to his destination.

Just when the intricate looking apprentice was about to slip through the foliage; into full view of Thunderclan border, his hind paw gets caught on a stubborn root. A high pitched gasp escapes his lips as he comes tumbling out, rolling to a stop with a pained groan. Laying pathetically on the ground for several moments, soaking up what had truly happened. “Stupid root. Stupid forest” he bitterly mumbles, ignoring the fact he had just been admiring the beauty of the forest moments prior. Jumping to his paws, ignoring the few leaves clinging to his pelt as he glances over at Morningpaw.

Flashing her a bright, yet bashful grin as he pads closer towards her. Pausing at the invisible line, butterscotch gold eyes flickering over her small frame. Making sure everything was okay with his friend before speaking; “Sorry I’m late! Just wanted to make sure no one followed” he easily explains before settling down on his rump. “The gathering sure was interesting” he adds with an amused laugh.

Pheebs
    Participant

Morningpaw was sure she was staring, her face likely portraying just how surprised she was that the golden eyed tom had actually come. The expression didn’t last long before a grin unfurled, resting remarkably well on her face. Racing over, the molly came to a halt just a few foxlength from Minkpaw and sat down, letting her thick tail rest comfortingly around her body and on her paws before responding. “It’s alright! I’m glad you made it at all!” “I didn’t think you’d want to see me.” “Yeah, it-it sure was…” “Glad you can laugh… It was terrifying.” Alright, so she was still unsure of their friendship, still wary of their bond and cautious with her words. Morningpaw ignored how guilty that made her feel.

“M-maybe we sh-should just enjoy spe-spending time with each other?” Which was her way of asking, without outright saying, that maybe they should ignore last night’s events? If only for that moment. The tension at the gathering had been overwhelming, not exactly the best first gathering Morningpaw could’ve had. “B-b-…” The golden molly scowled, slowing down to focus on her words without stuttering. “But, I’d li-like to know why you’re n-name wasn’t announced.” The apprentice finally uttered, a proud smirk flickering and vanishing just as quickly.

“Al-also, how high can you climb?” She’d meant to ask the first time they’d met, but the whole run-in with him had thrown her off and made her nervous. Now that she’d seen him twice, Morningpaw was much more comfortable being around Minkpaw and talking to him. “I wish I c-could climb, b-but I think I’d just fall!” 

Roach
    Participant

Tilting his wedged cranium as he easily catches on that Morningpaw was uncomfortable with discussing the event of last night. Shrugging his shoulders slightly as he decides not to voice his observations. The young multi colored tom knew from when he first met her that she could be shy and awkward; even self-conscious. Yet; that made him want to be her friend even more as he could tell that she needs someone that could understand or maybe even sympathize with her. Flashing her one of his famous boyish grins “I promised didn’t I?” His voice dipping with a question tilt to his tone, though it truly wasn’t a question as more of stating the obvious.

Upon hearing her ask once more about why his name wasn’t announce, his ears flicking back in a sheepish manner. “Well…” he trails off with a casual flick of his tail. “I’m actually a moon older than you, so my name was announced at the last gathering. But—“ he pauses as a small laugh escapes him. “I may or may not have gotten in trouble and couldn’t attend the gathering” Minkpaw confesses as his butterscotch eyes flicker over her features briefly. “Had to clean the elders den during the gathering” his nose wrinkling at the memory. “Terrifying; would not recommend” he snickers.

Letting his warm gaze flicker to the trees; enjoying the cooling breeze ruffling his pelt and cashing the branches above to sway. “I believe every cat can climb; you just have to trust your instincts” he simply replies. “I’m actually not sure how high I can climb…never paid too much attention to that before. I usually just climb” course the reckless apprentice wouldn’t admit to her of his little adventures hoping from branches to branches chasing birds that just loved to mock him. “Well I know Skyclan is known climbing, Riverclan for fishing and swimming, Shadowclan for their stealth, and Windclan for their swiftness, but what about Thunder?” He truly wondered.

His voice held no mocking as he stares at the pale yellow molly before him. A teasing glint flickers in his golden eyes as he peers over at her “Oh! Maybe Thunder is known for making flower crowns” Mink teases in a friendly manner, making sure to give her a warm smile to reassure the shy molly that he meant no harm in his words. Just friendly banter.

Pheebs
    Participant

Morningpaw sighed, a smirk quirking her lips upward. “Yes, yes you did.” The golden tabby yawned, listening attentively to Minkpaw’s words despite the early morning weariness that haunted her. It would go away soon but waking up at the crack of dawn had not been something her body was happy about but seeing as it meant Morning got to see her friend, she was willing to suffer for a bit. 

A laugh bubbled up and past her lips, one that surprised her with its suddenness. “Seriously? You missed your own name getting announced?” Morningpaw smiled sweetly, still laughing though she did her best to hide it. The Thunderclanner couldn’t imagine what it must be like to be punished and on such a big day. Adderface didn’t have to discipline her for anything yet and Morningpaw’s mother had never needed to discipline her for anything as she didn’t do much as a kit. Where most kits her age had been sneaking out of camp, bothering the warriors, rummaging in the medicine cat’s den, and the like Morningpaw had been quietly snuggling up to her mother and listening to Susan weave tales of her kittypet days. 

“My instincts are pretty dumb,” Morning muttered. “I think if I went with my instincts I’d end up falling and bruising my hip or something.” She giggled again, the sound timorous and small. “Well apparently we’re the clan with all the rogues,” the apprentice said deadpan, rolling her eyes in exasperation. What’s so bad about rogues? Her mother was a kittypet, their deputy was a rogue, there was a warrior (Hawkbite, maybe?) who was also a former rogue. Personally, Morningpaw really couldn’t process what made outsiders so hated among many of the clans.

“Why, yes, we make the best flower crowns in all the clans.” Morningpaw sat up, expression serious. “No one can beat our dandelion crowns or, Starclan forbid, our rose wreaths.” The Thunderclan apprentice grinned cheerfully, tail waving behind her instead of hiding her paws. “Show me how to climb and I’ll show you…” She paused, “Uhm…” It’s not as if she knew much, being a new apprentice and all. Morningpaw felt embarrassment that she’d been attempting to make a deal without having anything to offer. “I could try to make you a flower crown out of primroses,” the tabby laughed weakly. 

Roach
    Participant

Rolling his butterscotch eyes playfully at Morningpaw as she states that she would be the one to fall. “No you won’t! Because the best is going to teach you” he grins brightly at the timid she-apprentice. Though he frowns a moment later as he realizes that it might be hard to teach her when they were separated by an imaginary boundary. Huffing before spotting two trees close enough together that their branches have started to weave together over time. Those two oaks just happened to be on either side of Skyclan and Thunderclan.

Excitement fills him as he rushes over to the one on his side. Squinting as he tilts his cranium upwards to take in just how large the old tree is. Humming in approval before glancing back at Morningpaw only to notice that she remained where she had first stood, giving him a puzzled look. Gesturing toward the oak in Thunderclan before beckoning for her to go over to it. “Go on now! Take any longer and I’ll age a few moons” he lightly jokes. “Want to join the dark side? Learn to climb?” He smiles as he wiggles his eyebrows in a goofy and playful manner. A heart felt laugh rings throughout the small clearing as she plays along with thunderclanners being known for making flower crowns.

Before masking his laughter as he gives her a ‘serious’ look. “Make it sunflowers and we have a deal” his lips twitching as he tries to withhold a smile that threatens to break upon his lips.

Pheebs
    Participant

“‘The best’?” Morningpaw pretended to look around, “When are they coming?”  The apprentice watched with growing confusion as Minkpaw’s eyes flickered around. Standing up the golden tabby turned her body to face the brown tom as he darted away to two oaks that’d gone previously unseen by Morningpaw.

“I don’t think you could be dark if you tried.” Was Morningpaw’s only response as she approached the tree on her side of the border. “Sunflowers, hm? Guess I’m not surprised.” Sunflowers were bright and cheerful, it was fitting for Minkpaw to choose them.

“Not that I’m doubting you or anything, but say I break my leg. Then what?” The Thunderclanner eyed the tree, watching the branches high above dance in the wind. She couldn’t help but imagine toppling from that height, and wasn’t that a horrific image.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums SkyClan SkyClan Territory out of sight, out of mind (what a lie) [CLOSED]