Skip to toolbar

Our New Member (Night’s Ceremony) [OPEN]

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp Our New Member (Night’s Ceremony) [OPEN]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

Dark clouds hung over the WindClan camp with the threat of rain, the winds pushing them forward ever so slightly. Wolfstar breathed in the misty air as he closed his eyes, tasting the smells of humid moor at the back of his throat. Today was the day of the Gathering, but if the clouds stayed above them, then what did that mean? StarClan was supposed to be present on the full moon so they would be able to look down upon all five Clans as they conversed. The WindClan leader opened his eyes once more, the blue color matching the river water on a sunny morning. He could see a break in the clouds on the other side of the Clan territories, and he prayed it would mean the end of the dreary weather for the day. Tonight would be the night he would ask for a change in the warrior code. He knew Hollystar would back him up, but what about the other Clans? Wolfstar had a nervous feeling they would all deny this change, and he would be force dto punish Startledcrow and Willowfur. To punish his own medicine and daughter… He would worry about that later.

For now, he had other matters to think about. The mountain lion that attacked him and his patrol had happened a few days ago, and his right ear still stung. The wildcat’s claw snagged the tip right off with its sharp claws, but his injury didn’t compare to that of Night’s. She still healed in the medicine den, but he had heard from Nettlenose she was getting better and was out of the worst of it. Thank StarClan. He had grown to like the company of the young she-cat. In a lot of ways, she reminded him of himself when he was a young warrior. Wolfstar looked towards the medicine cat den from the other side of the clearing, blinking a few times before standing up and making his way towards it. His muscles bunched up as he jumped atop the boulder that hovered over the medicine den, his claws scratching on the rock’s surface as he bounded to the top. 

Let all cats old enough to run on the moors, gather here beneath the Boulder for a Clan meeting!” He yowled the traditional call like he had done so many times before. 

Shy
    Participant
    Night

The sky was darkly foreboding for a gathering. Stony grey clouds hung over their camp like malevolent figures; swollen with rain. Their raggedy edges nearly blocking the sun from view, edges that faded grey against the darkening sky. It was nothing like the fluffy white cotton balls that normally lazed in the afternoon. While she wouldn’t be going with them tonight, seeing as she was still recovering from the mountain lion attack, she silently hoped that it would go well for them. Outside the grass flattened in waves, light reflecting off of them like ripples. At the call of her leader, Night poked her head from the mouth of the medicine cat den and began to limp towards the center of camp. Though her wounds had healed considerably, and the initial pain had mostly faded, her shoulder was still sore and twinged painfully with every step. Night chose to sit close to the high rock, looking directly up at Wolfstar with wide and curious eyes. After spending so much time in the quiet sunless den, she relented in the opportunity to stretch her legs and breathe fresh air.

Pheebs
    Participant

Quiethawk stood up, slowly approaching the gathering area, treating his newly injured limb with the utmost care. Quiet watched with his hauntingly vivid yellow eyes as Wolfstar settled down, eyes flicking over to Night’s black furred form a short distance from him. ‘Hmm… ceremony?’ It would make sense, if Night wanted to stay she’d need proper training. Quiet silently bit back the hope that scrambled to its feet in him, pressing it down as he went through every available warrior. Of all the Windclanners Wolfstar had yet to give him an apprentice, what made today different? 

‘No use being bitter.’ Wolfstar knew what he was doing, Quiet’s duty as a warrior and a servant to his clan was to accept what he was told. The tabby had never been anything but fiercely, passionately, helplessly loyal to his clan. So, he’d yet to have an apprentice and okay maybe he wasn’t deputy or the best warrior of his clan, but he was only forty moons and had many moons ahead of him. Unless Startledcrow was right and he ended up dying before that because he lacked “survival instincts”. As if he needed them.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wolfstar nodded when his Clan gathered underneath, their eyes looking up at him with curiosity. It still took his breath away at the fact they were loyal to him, following his orders and trusting him to lead their Clan as best he could. It sent a warmth down his spine, and he smiled at them all, dipping his head. “We make a strong Clan. We believe in training to become the best we can be, in running as far as we can go, and fighting for what we believe in. Unlike other Clans, we believe that can from anywhere and from anyone. About a moon ago, a young cat asked to join us and I gave her a trial to see if she was fit for our Clan. After the mountain lion attack, I truly believe she will be a great addition to us. I have watched her hunt and I have watched her fight, and she is just as powerful as our training apprentices. Night, step forward.” Wolfstar turned his head to look at the black-furred apprentice. Despite her injuries, she had kept a strong composure which was admirable. 

He waited until the small she-cat stepped up to the bottom of the boulder he stood upon. “If you still wish to become a WindClan cat, then I will gladly grant you it. Night, from this moment on until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Nightpaw. Your mentor will be Quiethawk.” Wolfstar turned his head to look at the warrior. Wolfstar had yet to give the tom an apprentice, and it was for good reason. As an apprentice, Quiethawk was fierce, almost too merciless for his own good, and the leader wanted to make sure he would only pass down qualities to his apprentices that would enhance their Clan before assigning him a young cat. Thankfully, Quiethawk became a very suitable warrior, his demeanor calmer and his mind more mature. The tom would be able to train Nightpaw well, and shape her into a great warrior. “I know he will pass down his skills and knowledge to you.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Wolfstar.
    Shy
    Participant
    Nightpaw of Windclan

The crisp announcement splashed her nerves like a bucket of icy water, making her heart pound in her chest. She knew that it wouldn’t have been much longer until she’d be accepted as a full apprentice of Windclan, yet somehow it had still come as a shock. When Wolfstar asked if she still wished to join them, she nodded so eagerly that one might have expected her head to fall off. She waited tensely for Wolfstar to continue, her gaze fixed on the grey tom above. The leader had graciously allowed her to stay within his clan, giving her food, shelter and an opportunity to show him that she could be a capable warrior of Windclan. When she’d first arrived, she was worn and ragged, but even with her injuries, she was looking more and more like a true clan cat.  How long ago that had felt from now.

Joy filled her heart knowing that she had proved her loyalty to them and earned her place in the ranks through hard work and dedication; the feeling much sweeter than having her name easily handed to her. ‘My mentor is Quiethawk!’ she thought excitedly, beyond grateful that she’d been given such a skilled mentor to learn from. The impish grin that appeared on her soft features adequately reflected what she felt inside; alive and full.

Though her paws trembled nervously, she managed to limp forward to touch noses with Quiethawk, thankful to be a true member of Windclan at last. However, the joys of her apprenticeship ceremony were not enough to keep the feeling of guilt at bay. It was hard not to think of her friend in the medicine cat den whose injuries had been far worse than her own. Her eyes shut a little tighter, ‘I hope you get better soon, Wildpaw,’ she silently pleaded with Starclan, pulling away from her mentor with a smile as to mask her inner concerns.

Pheebs
    Participant

Quiethawk stopped, yellow eyes narrowing first in confusion and then finally clicking the pieces together. With a short lived smile the warrior got to his feet, assuming an air of calm as he approached Nightpaw. Touching noses with her the warrior offered her one small nod, not acceptance but reluctant friendliness. He wasn’t hostile towards the kit during her stay but he was definitely more wary now that he’d be training her. ‘If this loner is going to be my first apprentice, she’s going to be the best.’ Quiethawk was always ambitious as an apprentice and that never stopped. Sure, how he went about it had mellowed down but that same passion and bullheadedness determination remained.

“Chin up, kit.” The grey-brown tabby rumbled, eyes flitting over to his clanmates. “You’re a Windclanner now, if you’ve got feelings that aren’t joy right now, you better get over it or get out.” Which was Quiethawk’s “gentle” way of telling Nightpaw to let go of whatever was bothering her, if only for that minute. Straightening back up the warrior tilted his head to Wolfstar, a small smile of thanks that was subtle enough to not be too obvious but apparent enough to be seen, along with the gratefulness that went with it

“How’d you like to see Windclan territory?” Quiethawk hesitated, “All of it, that is.” He knew she’d explored some of it, but a tour of the whole expanse of their Clan’s land would benefit her. Not to mention he could lay down the ground rules for Night as they walked, seeing as their injuries would only hinder them from any training. 

Wolfstar
    Participant

“Nightpaw! Nightpaw! Nightpaw!” 

The Clan rejoiced in their new member, cheering on her new name. Wolfstar smiled and looked down at the black-furred she-cat. She reminded him of himself when he was younger, just as Thistleheart had. The thought of his former apprentice made his throat tighten with grief, wishing again that he was still here. He would have made an amazing warrior. Now, he was with the rest of their ancestors in the night sky, enjoying his new life. But, it still pained him that he would never become a deputy or leader like Wolfstar had hoped someday. The WindClan leader returned Quiethawk’s nod before turning around and stepping down from the boulder. The ceremony was now over.

Wolfstar made his way towards Nightpaw and Quiethawk, hoping the warrior didn’t mind that he intervened for a moment. Wolfstar stood in front of Nightpaw, looking into her eyes as he spoke. “I see potential in you, Nightpaw. Don’t let me and your Clan down. Train harder, faster, and stronger than the rest of them and you will become a great warrior like your mentor.” Wolfstar nodded to the both of them before turning and making his way towards the fresh kill pile, letting apprentice and mentor have their moments with each other. He had personally hoped to train Nightpaw himself, but he knew Quiethawk was overdue for an apprentice and it would be unfair to take the opportunity away from him. Unlike a lot of leaders, he enjoyed mentoring and being a part of the youth’s lives in his Clan. They were just as important as the warriors above them. Grabbing a small hare from the pile, Wolfstar carried it across the clearing and into his den where Goldenrose would be waiting for him. 

Shy
    Participant
    Nightpaw
    Apprentice of Windclan

Cheers had erupted around her, and nothing could begin to describe the feeling that welled inside her. All that she had faced had been worth it; the grueling journey there and the uncomfortable transition to clan life when she never felt like her goal was even possible. Wolfstar’s praise held a deep sense of meaning. The words themselves touched her, and it was hard not to look surprised when he spoke of her in such high regards. He might have been extremely selective in whom he gave his trust to, but once he gave it, there was no questioning just how special it was. “Thank you, Wolfstar. I’ll do my absolute best,” she promised him with utmost sincerity. A slight inclination of her head signified her respect before the grey leader had turned away.

Nightpaw looked up from the ground to her mentor, a flicker of surprise passing over her face. “And leave you without your first apprentice? I haven’t even gotten on your nerves yet,” she protested, her voice playfully hurt and accompanied by a mock pout. Although she’d gained the favor of Wolfstar, she silently wondered if Quiethawk trusted her yet. It was possible that he still questioned her loyalty. This, however, did not bother her. Nightpaw had worked tirelessly to get this far, and earning her mentor’s trust was no different.

A smile tugged at her lips at the mention of exploring the rest of Windclan. “I would like that very much, but do you mind waiting a moment?” she asked him, her gaze sweeping over to the medicine cat den thoughtfully before admitting, “I’d like to go check in on Wildpaw before we go.” There was no question in her mind that he would be upset and she needed to go see him. He was going through so much. Seeing him before taking off was the least she could do. “I won’t be long,” the apprentice tossed him a feeble, reassuring smile before taking off in a limp towards the medicine cat den. Just as she told him, she emerged within a short period of time, returning to her mentor’s side with a smile.

“After you— and try not to break anything else,” she teased him.

Pheebs
    Participant

Quiethawk eyed the small black tabby, something that could’ve been a smirk dashed across his features before dissipating. “Well I expect you’ll be the most skilled, fierce, loyal-and likely annoying apprentice in this clan.” From his words Quiethawk seemed to be both complimenting and making a subtle jab at the apprentice, but his face revealed nothing. A jolt of surprise did manage to make its way onto the warrior’s face at the mention of Wildpaw, but he otherwise remained calm. “Of course, that would be acceptable.” The classic tabby patterned tom stepped back, a silent indication for the other to go ahead and complete whatever task she’d set for herself before returning.

“Oh, I’ll try my hardest not to,” the warrior grumbled, rolling his eyes. “You try to avoid getting eaten by something, kit.” Quiethawk wasn’t the largest cat so he enjoyed poking fun at those smaller than him. Was that petty? Yes. Did he regret it? Rarely. 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp Our New Member (Night’s Ceremony) [OPEN]