Oh, man. Why me? (Sleek + Pebble)

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp Oh, man. Why me? (Sleek + Pebble)

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Shy
    Participant
    Sleekfeather
    Warrior of Riverclan

A shadow flitted across the dark warrior’s face upon hearing his name being called during a ceremony. “I’m being given.. an apprentice? he spoke to himself, the sentence much closer to a laugh than an actual question. The word ‘apprentice’ felt heavy and uncomfortable in his mouth, and he wondered if Wisteriastar had finally lost her mind. Certainly there had to be a mistake. Of all the warriors she could have given this apprentice to, she chose him.

The tall warrior stared blankly as he silently strode ahead, feeling the damp rock beneath his paws with every step. Flicking his tail irritably, he said nothing as he bent down to touch noses with the scrawny thing that was now his apprentice. Even if he wanted to object to such a thing, he knew that he couldn’t. As long as he lived in Riverclan he was bound by the warrior code and the orders of Wisteriastar. For now he would have to play along.

Once the yowls of approval died down and the crowd had dispersed, he looked down at the young cat, briefly allowing a disgusted look to cross his face before he turned away with a sigh. “I suppose I could show you the territories,” he gave her a sidelong glance, and took up an easy, steady pace that they could keep until dusk if necessary. “Do try to watch your step. The floor is slippery the closer we get to the waterfall.”

Pebblepaw (Memento)
    Participant

A petite bundle of gray and white fur made her way through the crowd of her clan towards Wisteriastar. On a loop in her head was the concentration of “You’re becoming an apprentice, you’re becoming an apprentice! Don’t trip!” As if on cue, she stumbled but quickly recovered and rather than dwelling, pushed forward still.

While Wisteriastar spoke, she distractedly skimmed the cats before her. Her nervous, blue gaze landed on Sleekfeather, who seemed to be sulking. Her ear twitched before snapping back to attention as her new mentor approached her. Touching noses with him, the newly named Pebblepaw smiled excitedly as everyone had cheered for the new pair.

She looked up at him as he spoke, practically beaming, even as he gave her a strange look. “That would be great! It will be so cool to get out of the camp and explore!” Pebblepaw squeaked. She did not struggle with keeping up with him in her bouncing gait, however as he spoke about not slipping, she tripped again. Sheepishly, she gave him a side glance to see if he noticed and chuckled softly under her breath.

“So…Sleekfeather,” the apprentice started, “What is your favorite thing about being a warrior? What was your proudest moment? Will you show me your favorite place to visit?” It was not long before her whiskers twitched before her attention was grasped by a bug nearby. The small, spotted she-cat shook her head from the desire to chase after it. “Focus,” she thought to herself.

Shy
    Participant
    Sleekfeather
    Warrior of Riverclan

From camp the waterfall had been a faint sound cascading over the rocky outcrops, but as they drew closer, it grew louder in volume until it was a deafening roar. As loud as it was, though, Sleekfeather still managed to notice his apprentice stumble and fall. The dark warrior stopped immediately, his turquoise gaze sweeping over her with sudden concern. What did I just say about being careful? You wouldn’t want to spend your first day outside of camp in the medicine cat’s den, would you?” he asked, soon dragging his gaze away from the giddy apprentice with a roll of his eyes. Though, now that he thought about it, he wouldn’t have to take her anywhere if she did fall and injure herself.

Tendrils of fog curled beneath their paws as Sleekfeather and Pebblepaw made their way down the slick path, the sound of the waterfall growing quieter with each step into the sunlight. The momentary peace he had found in the song of birds and swaying of reeds was quickly interrupted by Pebblepaw’s inquisitive voice, and he inwardly groaned. Had she not been practically bouncing with excitement and so innocent looking, he probably wouldn’t have held back.

But as much as he didn’t want to be a mentor, a part of him didn’t want to crush her spirit either. Sleekfeather closed his eyes with a sigh, deciding to entertain her young and curious mind with sugarcoated answers. “My favorite part of being a warrior is protecting the ones I love, and as for my proudest moment—“ he leapt from one rock to another, easily crossing them with his long legs, “I don’t really have one.”

The sky was just beginning to shift from yellow to a brilliant blue, the sun steadily rising over the trees as they traveled downstream. “My favorite place to be is the waterfall. I sit there at night to gather my thoughts when everyone else is busy dreaming, but I do enjoy the willow grove when I want some peace and quiet,” he told her, finally meeting her wide gaze with his own once the landscape had become jagged with stones. “Seeing as you’re clumsy, I’ll only be showing you the rapids from a safe distance,” he gestured towards the deep, frothing water ahead of them before he gave her a stern look. “The current here is strong and dangerous, and only experienced warriors are permitted to fish here,” his tone was serious as he explained, but then he gave her a sly smile, “You’d easily get swept away if you fell in, so stay close unless you want to relieve me of my mentorship early.”

Pebblepaw (Memento)
    Participant

Pebblepaw’s ears pressed to her head in shame as her mentor scolded her for trip. “I-I’m sorry…” she stammered, lowering her gaze to her paws, “I promise to do better!” This was a promise she made to him as well as herself – she did not want to be known as the new apprentice who did something silly like slip on a rock, especially being from RiverClan.

The small she-cat followed in Sleekfeather’s steps carefully, trying to take in all of her surroundings and take mental notes of how to get from camp to the waterfall, and beyond. As he spoke, her ears perked and flicked, demonstrating she was listening and hanging on to every word. It was not until he had taken a breath to jump from rock to rock did she realize she would have to follow him and risk not falling in. Closing her eyes, she thought to herself, “Breathe, you can do this. Don’t fall.”

Pebblepaw crouched low, her tail waving high in preparation. She jumped to the first rock, her back paw slipped slightly, however she regained her footing. Each leap became easier for her as the practice continued. Once she landed on the same side as Sleekfeather, she unintentionally bumped into his leg. She quickly gave him an apologetic look before glancing back at where they came from and began beaming, completely proud that she did not fall in or embarrass  herself too much.

As he spoke of his favorite place to sit and think, she could not imagine the waterfall being a great place, especially when she could barely hear him talk with the roar of the water. “Are we going to visit the willow grove? Do a lot of cats from our clan go there too?” She chirped. When he called her clumsy, the apprentice opened her mouth as if to protest and thought better on it while continuing to listen to his warnings. Her eyes widened when she thought of falling in to rapid water and never being found again. A shiver went down her spine at the thought of it. Gulping, she asked, “Do you know anyone who fell in and got swept away?”

Shy
    Participant
    Sleekfeather
    Warrior of Riverclan

Sleekfeather nodded. “During the day they do, and yes, we’ll be going there,” he answered, twitching his tail at how curious she was. It reminded him of when he was an apprentice. As hard as it was to believe, he had been just as curious and excited to begin training with Tallreed. “I’ll be showing you all of Riverclan’s territory today, and then tomorrow I’ll teach you how to fish,” he told her, making a quick mental note of it in his head. It was oddly refreshing, in a way, to be able to pass on his skills and knowledge to another. If he had to be a mentor, he might as well try to enjoy it.

Sleekfeather shrugged. “Not that I know of,” he answered her with uncertainty, looking towards the churning waters where leaves and debris regularly crashed into each other before glancing back at Pebblepaw. The young she-cat was staring with round, frightened eyes, and Sleekfeather felt a stab of sympathy. In noticing how uncomfortable she was, he softened. “But I wouldn’t fret over it,” he went on, continuing to stand between the small apprentice and the dark, foamy swirls. “We’ll be fishing at the fishing stones, which is much safer.”

With one last glance, Sleekfeather turned to leave, lightly touching her shoulder with his tailtip to draw her attention away from the treacherous terrain of the rapids and back to their small journey. “Come on,” he urged, padding down a frequently traveled path that led them to a gently flowing stream. Aside from the occasional chirping of birds and water rippling softly around smooth stones, it was much quieter here. “This is where we’ll be tomorrow. There are plenty of rocks to hop across and fish from, and the water is much safer for apprentices.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp Oh, man. Why me? (Sleek + Pebble)