More Trouble than it’s Worth (Startled and Wolf)

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp WindClan Leader’s Den More Trouble than it’s Worth (Startled and Wolf)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Feared
    Participant

Startledcrow ~ WindClan Medicine Cat

Large but nimble paws were leading the tall and lanky tomcat towards the leaders den, he had just finished tending to Night’s and Quiethawk’s injuries. Eveningstorm has refused to let him treat the scratch on his shoulder blade, but Startledcrow figured that he could it be, it wasn’t the worst and if it did get infected he knew his brother would come whining to make it feel better. The mere image caused a small smirk to find its way along his lips, although his single pupil narrowed in on the leader’s den. Goldenrose’s scent was faint, clearly stating that she was still out and about with the hunting patrol that had set out about an hour ago. Must be good catching. He mused, although he was silently grateful that the she-cat wasn’t present. Wildpaw was still within the medicine cat den healing after his near death experience, and he still wasn’t strong enough. He didn’t need the mother to pester him about her son once more. Although, secretly he couldn’t blame her, being a father himself he could actually relate to her worries. But Goldenrose made him nervous.

Nostrils flared as he breathed in the scent freshest within the dark den, Wolfstar was perched within and from what he could see the leader was cleaning at his face. “Wolfstar.” Startledcrow made his presence known, although he didn’t wait for the leader to beckon him inside, stepping within the den as his darkly colored pelt almost blended in with the nightly shadows. “I have tended to Night’s and Quiethawk’s injuries, they’ll live.” He smirked, although his chin was tilted in more so of questioning than it was to really see the dark grey and white tomcat. “Is it true..? About what you all saw?” He questioned finally, stepping to where he was now standing in front of his leader, eyebrow quirked and his whiskers twitching with anticipation.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Despite the struggling fight with a wildcat, Wolfstar didn’t feel as exhausted as he thought he would have. If anything, the adrenaline still coursed through his veins, and he knew he would lead the patrol to the edge of their border later today to make sure it had completely left. The leader had decided not to follow the rest of his patrol into the medicine den to get his ear checked out. He could feel that the tip had been clawed off, and it did sting a little, but not enough to get seen to before the other. Once he was comfortable knowing the mountain lion was gone for good, then he would get his wounds checked. For now, he waited inside of the leader’s den where he wouldn’t be disturbed by his Clanmates. He needed the time to think, and would let Eveningstorm inform them of what had happened. 

Wolfstar’s den was a large, abandoned rabbit burrow he had hollowed out himself to fit both he and Goldenrose, and anyone else who entered. Other than two mossy nests in the corner, it was completely empty which meant more room for his Clanmate’s to feel comfortable enough to enter and communicate with him. He sat in the very back beside his nest, his long tail wrapped tightly around his body. He rasped his tongue over one of his paws and pulled it over his non-injured ear to smooth down the tufts of fur that stuck out from the fight. He wanted to clean himself and look presentable enough for Goldenrose not to worry too much. His mate was already worried about Wildpaw, and didn’t need to worry about her mate too. The sound of pawsteps outside his den entrance forced him to stop, and he set his paw down. It was hard to see exactly who it was because the pelt was so dark, but the voice was instantly familiar. “Greetings, Startledcrow,” he meowed, dipping his head. No longer did he want to roll his eyes at the presence of the medicine cat. “Thank you, I’m glad they’ll be fine. I was mostly worried about Night. I think it’s time I give her a true Clan name and mentor, what do you think? She fought well and was brave, and she never once turned to run away. I thought it was admirable.” 

At Startledcrow’s question, he nodded. “Yes, we met a mountain lion. I’ve heard stories of the beasts, but have never seen one in front of me before. It was only a cub and hard for three warrior’s and an apprentice to fight…I pray we’ll never see a adult wildcat. I was grateful its mother wasn’t nearby that I know of.” Wolfstar shivered at the thought of having to come face to face with a full-grown mountain lion. Its paws would possibly be as large as he!

Feared
    Participant

He noticed that Wolfstar had been grooming his face, his eye following the paw that quickly lowered itself. He was worried I was Goldenrose. He thought mildly to himself, although he did see that the tip of Wolfstar’s ear had been clawed right off. Startledcrow decided not to mention it, wasn’t any concern of his and Wolfstar’s mate could complain about the small wound all she wanted. He blinked slowly when Wolfstar thanked him, chin tilting once more as the leader spoke of Night, which caused a gentle but small smile to find its way along his muzzle. “I believe Night would make an excellent addition to the Clan, Nettlenose and myself have seen nothing to suggest otherwise.” He assured the tomcat, honestly he had grown rather fond of the young she-cat. She didn’t take his foul mouth seriously and her smile could brighten anyone’s day. She would have been the perfect apprentice for Thistleheart. The dark grey Tom thought with a heavy heart, but said nothing about it.

However, as Wolfstar spoke about the mountain lion cub, he lowered himself into a sitting position and allowed his long tail to curl around his large paws. “A cub? You lot are all morons. If the mother had returned to-“ Startledcrow stopped in mid-sentence, the wheels within his mind were beginning to churn. “If the cub was hiding within the territory then the mother stashed it there. Either the mother is hunting within our borders or just outside of them.” Startledcrow meowed, eyebrows furrowing slightly for a moment before his gaze re-focused upon Wolfstar. “You will need to take a large patrol out to make sure the mother and her cub are well out of the borders and heavily re-scent the border. I fear that Breezepaw and Wildpaw’s little adventure has brought us to the mountain lions attention.” Startledcrow meowed worriedly, of course his leader would know to do all of this but it never hurt to say it.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wolfstar listened to Startledcrow’s disbelief patiently, waiting for the medicine cat to finish before answering. “The cub wasn’t as young as you think. It was grown enough to be on its own so I doubt the mother was around. But I have already made plans to take out a patrol and scan the area before nightfall to make sure it’s gone for sure.” The leader almost winced at the mention of Wildpaw and Breezepaw, but couldn’t bring himself to agree with Startledcrow. How could two apprentices playing on a tree at the very edge of the mountain bring attention to a lion on the other side? It just didn’t make sense. Wildpaw and Breezepaw were playing on a ledge not far from the border. If WindClan’s scented marker hadn’t brought its attention before then two apprentices playing just across from it wouldn’t have done it either. But he didn’t argue with the tom. Instead, he breathed in a large amount of air before slowly exhaling to show his frustration with the entire thing. 

He eyed Startledcrow for a moment as he tried to decide whether to ask him his thoughts on something or not. Usually, he would speak to Nettlenose about it and not worry the younger tom, but Wolfstar chose to give it a chance. “I want your opinion on something. I’m thinking of taking a patrol passed our bordered line and into the mountains to check out what’s on the other side. I want to make sure the lion is away from us for good, but I also want to know what that territory has to offer. Maybe we could have something the other Clan’s don’t. The rest of them are huddled together in our territories, but none have a large amount of land behind them. What do you think?” He tilted his head as he waited for Startledcrow’s answer, wondering if he would be totally against it or if he would be as excited about it as Wolfstar. Ever since Wildpaw and Breezepaw had wandered to the other side, it had been heavily on his mind. Maybe, just maybe, there was something exciting on the other side that WindClan could take advantage of.

Feared
    Participant

Silently he was pleased that the lion cub wasn’t as young as he had previously thought, but it did bother him that the cub had been hiding within a bush on WindClan territory. “Still bothers me.” Startledcrow muttered, pupil narrowing slightly in thought. Clearly no one lately had seen a mountain lion as they had been spoke like they were myth, however from what he heard from both Night and Eveningstorm, this wildcat was far from myth. Although, he refrained from saying too much more about the mountain lion as Wolfstar wordlessly expressed his frustration through a long sigh. Whether it be towards the mountain lion or for Startledcrow, he wasn’t exactly sure but he chose to bite down on his tongue as to not provoke the temper of the tomcat. However, he noticed the thoughtful expression upon the leader’s face as he stared at him, ears slowly standing upright into a more alert position as he could tell that Wolfstar was battling to speak.

Slowly he blinked in surprise when Wolfstar asked for his opinion, chin tilting slightly as he waged the weight of Wolfstar’s ideas. The older Tom was planning on exploring the mountains to see if there was any land closer to the mountain range that could be useful to the Clan. The fur along his shoulder blades stood up with unease, although that feeling could merely be because of the appearance of the mountain lion. Long, pink tongue slowly roamed over his dark lips before he shrugged slightly. “I… I think it’s a fascinating idea. You’re not wrong, perhaps there is land further beyond that border that would be useful.” He paused, his long tail uncurling from around his paws and now waving behind him in thoughtful twitches. “Do you know why we never thought to expand beforehand?” He questioned, unsure if there had been a reason that kept their border short.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wolfstar could tell Startledcrow was holding something back. His ears were twitching with unease and his eyes narrowed slightly to indicate unhappiness with the situation. The leader could relate to the medicine cat, feeling the unease himself. WindClan had never encountered a mountain lion before, at least not in his time. The other four Clans were quarreling with one another like tiny kits, ThunderClan’s deputy was the main conversation topic for everyone, and Wolfstar had yet to appoint a new deputy himself. Things were getting worse, and Wolfstar knew his Clanmate’s were feeling out of balance with themselves and with their way of life. “We’ve never gone past our borders because it’s tradition. Once we set our lands, we never go over them. Clan cats have always loved familiarity and stability. The battles and struggled that we’ve faced mostly come from within our borders, so I guess we figured that if we went passed them then we’ll have even more issues to deal with. But…what if it brings more peace and stability? What if I could give our Clan a way out if we need? A place to escape and get away from it all? A place the other Clan’s don’t know about.” Not even Hollystar.

There was no doubt the ThunderClan and WindClan leader were close, but ever since Hollystar had appointed Kass for deputy there was a wall between them that not even he could jump over. He would fight for her and her Clan till the very end, but that didn’t mean they had to agree on everything. Maybe finding a safe escape for his Clan would provide a peace his Clanmate’s needed. “If the Clans found out then they would think we were trying to expand away for them. Or take more for ourselves than we need. They can’t expand like we can, so it would seem like a power issue for them. What do you think?” Wolfstar bit his lip when he finished speaking. Saying all of this out loud didn’t help the war going on his mind. He was still just as confused about what was best for them as was moments before.

Feared
    Participant

He listened silently and carefully as his leader spoke, chin tilting slightly as he weighed the truth in Wolfstar’s words. This all seemed very strategic, something he wasn’t very strong within. Eveningstorm and Thistleheart would have appreciated this plan. Startledcrow suddenly thought, chewing on his tongue as he could see that Wolfstar was really wanting to wager his opinion on the matter. “A place to escape..?” He finally meowed, eyebrows furrowing slightly over his blue eyes as he said those words out loud. Still didn’t seem right falling off his tongue. “I agree that it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a safe haven perhaps if something happened to camp.” Startledcrow warned as gently and subtly as he could, clearly he didn’t want to upset Wolfstar but he simply couldn’t agree with the possibility of WindClan breaking off from the other clans. Would StarClan even continue to look over them if they did that? Got away from all the chaos?

He was tempted that was for sure, chewing on his lower lip for a moment, just like Wolfstar before he sighed. “I think… exploring couldn’t hurt anyone. The other clans don’t need to know all of our business.” He shrugged, looking past Wolfstar’s shoulder blade for a moment as he saw movement within the shadows, although this was beginning to be his daily routine. Whatever his mother had done to him, it was odd indeed. “Besides, if we wanted to extend our borders, we could hide it from the other clans. Continue to scent the border we have now as a diversion if someone from another clan even ventured out that far. Then the new border would lay beyond that.” Startledcrow finally finished, his eyes adjusting back to look at Wolfstar’s face. This was all speculation, of course, but it was still exciting to think about.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wolfstar could tell Startledcrow hesitated with the plan at first, but then his facial expression turned from wary to understanding the longer he spoke of it. The leader nodded and almost smiled when the medicine cat agreed, even mentioning a diversion to fool the Clans into thinking their border didn’t extend farther than they believed. He hardly doubted anyone would know. No Clan lived near that side of the border. “Hm. I will continue to think on this, and being Nettlenose and my new deputy into the conversation. I plan on naming who the new deputy will be tonight.”

This new conversation topic was exciting to Wolfstar, but there was one more matter the two toms needed to discuss. “The gathering is soon,” he began again. “I will be informing the leaders a proposition to the change of rule about medicine cats and their mates. How do you think I should go about that? I was thinking of proposing that as long as there are two medicine cats, then they can have mates. I’m expecting Wisteriastar and Firestar wouldn’t like that. Hornetstar wouldn’t care and Hollystar wouldn’t either. But what if they ask what would happen if both medicine cats have mates and then one dies? This will have to be a very sensitive topic.”

Feared
    Participant

Nodding briskly, the young Tom agreed fully that Nettlenose have a hear and say about this plan, it could be risky and who knew of the dangers that could be awaiting them right over that border… but that’s what made it exciting. “Of course, she’ll probably think we are all mouse-brained.” He snorted, his mentor was more of calm soul, not really longing for adventure like most cats, but she was very understanding so perhaps she would go along with her fathers plans. Although when Wolfstar mentioned that he would be naming a new deputy, his ears stood up fully with interest. “Oh? So you have finally picked someone.” Startledcrow felt a smile find its way onto his dark lips. With a deputy in place, the warriors will begin to fall back into their usual routine. He thought to himself, few felines had stepped up to the plate in order to help organize patrols when Wolfstar couldn’t. Desertrose had been doing a wonderful job, with Eveningstorm helping out when he was needed. Startledcrow felt like he knew who Wolfstar would choose, but he wouldn’t pry too much, some things had to be left as a surprise.

Before he could ask a question, Wolfstar has already changed the topic, the atmosphere taking a leap as a seriousness seemed to filter between the two toms. The subject of the matter was a very delicate one indeed. Startledcrow listener carefully for a moment, chin tilting as he looked down at the ground for a brief moment before he felt a pelt rub against his side. Expecting Goldenrose or even Willowfur, he lifted his chin in order to greet the she-cat, but he was greeted with nothing. Nothing but a whisper. ”One could die, but two are stronger. Do not force a mate to shrivel because of gender.” The whisper ever so delicately informed him, the voice belonging to that of Whiteash, his mother. Blue eye refocused upon Wolfstar’s face, hesitant to repeat Whiteash’s words exact. “Two medicine cats are stronger, yes. But even if a medicine cat should die, I don’t think the medicine alive should have to leave their mate in order to train a new apprentice. Medicine she-cat’s should wait until their apprentices are mostly trained before having kits, that I agree. But… medicine tomcat’s should wait until they have an apprentice before having kits because they are not having to resign in order to nest. However, if there are two fully trained medicine cats within the same clan, I believe they both should have the ability to have a mate and kits.” He finally meowed, his voice slow and thoughtful before he looked at Wolfstar more carefully.

Wolfstar
    Participant

The cat he had chosen for deputy would be told tomorrow, but Wolfstar had a feeling most of his Clanmate’s knew who he would announce. He could tell Startledcrow had a suspicious expression, but didn’t further inquire which Wolfstar appreciated. Everyone in the Clan would know at the same time, and he knew all of them would approve of his choice. However, he needed one more night to sit on it, and pray to StarClan that he was making the right decision. After all, their Clan had gone through three of them since he had been appointed as leader. WindClan needed stability, and he was sure he had found the perfect cat for such a thing. 

He had changed the subject so quickly because he didn’t want any more questions on who would be deputy, and there was another matter that was equally important. Ever since Wolfstar had learned of his daughter and Startledcrow, he knew in his heart the right thing to do was to change the rule the Clan’s had followed since he could remember. It was ridiculous to him that Willowfur would be left lonely because of a rule that prohibited Startledcrow from loving her. At the time, he wondered if his daughter could have chosen someone a little more…happy. But he had to force himself to push his own feelings to the side in order to think clearly. Wolfstar had thought about this rule change ever since Shiveringleaf left their Clan to join ShadowClan because of fear. What a waste of talent. 

The WindClan leader listened carefully to Startledcrow’s answer, his ears angling forward to take in every word. However, he scoffed at forcing a tom medicine cat to wait whether there were one or two of them, but he checked himself so as not to seem rude. “Everyone know’s I believe in full equality. However, when it comes to having and raising kits, there are huge differences between tom’s and she-cat. The queens provide the food and nourishment to a kit that is impossible for a tom to give, and that can not be ignored. I fully believe tom’s should be able to have kits whether they’re the only medicine cat’s or not. But…” Wolfstar tilted his head and narrowed his eyes, suddenly not liking what he had just said. Yes, it was true, but that wouldn’t sit well with the she-cat’s and other Clan’s. In order for it to be fair, he knew he had to go with what Startledcrow suggested. Anyways, talking about these things made him slightly uncomfortable, but he couldn’t let that show. “No, you’re right. The only way for everyone to be happy is for it to be equal. I agree with you.

Wolfstar couldn’t help but sigh. There was a lot of work and thought into changing tradition. “So, I will tell them this: I would like to propose that all medicine cat’s, no matter what age or gender, are allowed to have kits as long as there are two of them fully trained in each Clan. Out of two medicine cat’s, the younger will now be allowed to have a mate and kits as long as they have been given their full medicine cat name.

Feared
    Participant

Startledcrow remained silent as he watched Wolfstar’s expression, those blue eyes glinting with amusement at the prospect of male medicine cats having to wait until they had apprentices in order to have kittens. He completely agreed with what was coming out of Wolfstar’s mouth, ears twitching slightly to allow the other Tom to know that he registered the words that were being spoken. Tomcats only helped create the kittens, it was up to the females in order to birth, feed and raise the kittens until they were six moons old. That’s a lot of work! “I completely see what you are saying and if you think we can get away with saying it like that, then go for it. But I believe the medicine she-cat’s will be highly unhappy that the male medicine cats don’t need an apprentice at the least to have kits.” Startledcrow meowed, even though Wolfstar had already corrected himself and decided to go with that as a better option, Startledcrow still felt the need to soothe out the rough spots.

Nostrils flared slightly as he released a sigh, this wasn’t the biggest change to a law but it was significant enough. Once the clan had found out that Stormkit and Desertkit were his, they accepted the fact rather well with Wolfstar and Nettlenose breathing down their practically. Blue eyes flickered down to the floor as it forced his ears to focus onto Wolfstar as he spoke once more, declaring what he would tell the clans at the gathering. Nodding faintly as he listened to the tomcat, before twitching his whiskers and lifting his chin in order to gaze at Wolfstar. “That sounds about right.” He gave a faint nod, the tip of his tail twitching.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp WindClan Leader’s Den More Trouble than it’s Worth (Startled and Wolf)