Skip to toolbar

Lil’ Paws [Smoke & Wasp]

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Camp Lil’ Paws [Smoke & Wasp]

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lux
    Participant

Smokewisp – Shadowclan Deputy 

Smokewisp padded into the camp, already weary from the dawn patrol. Fortunately, things were relatively uneventful, and they’d even managed to bring some fresh-kill home. She dropped a sparrow upon the fresh-kill pile before turning to observe the camp. ‘I could hibernate like a badger,‘ she thought, her paws dragging lightly against the well-trodden floor as she shuffled towards one of the few sunny spots in camp. She laid down, pressing her belly against the sun-warmed soil as she stretched. She’d accepted her pregnancy, with as much grace and dignity as she could. Frankly, she still felt some embarrassment for not noticing sooner. Auburnleaf had pointed it out, rather blunty, just a week before. Although she was unsure of how many kits she bore, she and Ravenwatcher had begun planning names.

She peered towards the nursery with a lazy amber eye, reluctant to move. There was plenty of work to do. But, the sun was luxuriously warm against her aching leg. She closed her eyes, content with listening as the kits in the nursery frolic about and clanmates quietly went ate their morning meal. Actually, some of those ‘kits’ were louder than the others. She smirked in amusement, listening intently. There was one litter, fostered by Saplingskies, who’d soon become apprentices. Fresh-blood, and more training. It would be a welcome distraction from leaf-bare’s biting cold.

Courtesy of Mairu Doggy, Deviant Art
    Tori
    Participant

– W A S P – 

Movement from nearby outside the nursery caught the attention of the young kit from where he lay in his nest with his siblings. Nightbreeze’s kits were relatively quiet still, as they were a bit younger than Waspkit and his siblings, and spent most of their day nuzzled against their mother. However, his brother Fennelkit was one bursting with energy and would spend most of his own time making a ruckus in the nursery. To be frank, he could be a bit of a nuisance and the queens were often scolding him for waking up not only them during there rare time of rest, but their kits as well. The calico tom-kit couldn’t blame them, they were tired mothers and surely having a loud kit running around would bother them a bit.

His bi-colored eyes returned once more outside of the nursery walls, where he caught sight of the Clan deputy, Smokewisp, laying in the sun. Waspkit took a cautious glance at his resting foster mother and siblings. He didn’t want to bother them while they slept, so he left the den walls on his own terms. He might get scolded later, but it wasn’t as though he was trying to sneak out of camp early and alone– like Fennelkit often did. 

As he approached the sun-bathing molly, he noticed the soft protrusion of her belly. “How long until you plan to join us in the nursery?” He asked her mildly, tucking his paws politely under his tail.

Lux
    Participant

A lazy amber eye cracked open as Waspkit approached. The tabby was a little jumpy, but perhaps some of Saplingskies’ anxiety had rubbed off on him. He was a cunning as well, already mature beyond his moons. ‘Well, I do suppose he’ll be an apprentice soon,‘ she thought. ‘He and his siblings have grown so quickly. I wonder, will Raven and I’s grow just as fast?

Well, hello to you too,” she purred, her voice rippling with a bemused chuckle. ‘So blunt, isn’t he?

Hmm, perhaps I just ate a whole rabbit for breakfast?” she mewed, struggling to tuck her legs beneath herself as she obscured her belly. She was still rather uncomfortable her pregnancy without Ravenwatcher present. Perhaps it was the hormones, or perhaps it was the rounded belly interfering with her duties. The mottled molly paused for a long moment before sighing. “There’s much to be done around camp, but I’ll be joining you soon. These kits won’t wait forever, after all. Hareflight told me I’ll be having at least three or four. I just hope they’re all heavy and strong, like you and your siblings.” She met his bicolor gaze, smiling mischievously and hopeful to change the topic. “But, aren’t you and the others almost too old for the nursery? I bet we’ll be having an apprenticeship ceremony soon,” she winked. “Are you excited? You’ll finally be able to leave camp and see all our territory has to offer.

Tori
    Participant

– W A S P – 

“That seems very unlikely to me,” Waspkit replied when Smokewisp suggested that she had perhaps just eaten a lot of food, “based on what I’ve seen from Nightbreeze, you’ve been exhibiting the same symptoms as her with her kits…” He trailed off the moment the grey deputy shifted to hide her stomach from view. Realizing that he might have made her uncomfortable, the tom-kit instinctively shuffled backwards a bit to give her more space. Then, she was mentioning her own discussion with Hareflight and in this moment Waspkit noted that he had no need to continue talking further with her about her expectancy. She didn’t seem as though she wanted to bring attention to it anyway. 

His assessment turned out to be correct, as Smokewisp changed the subject to his own nearing apprenticeship. Waspkit absently flicked an ear. In all honesty, he wasn’t excited to leave the campgrounds as much as his siblings may be. Rowankit and Fennelkit were ready to get out there and explore, they wanted to be warriors, and they were more than ready to tackle the world head-first. But Waspkit wasn’t quite the same when it came to enthusiasm. If anything, he wanted to hide away in the safety of his nest just a little bit longer. 

“I’m not sure,” He replied honestly, staring into her warm amber eyes. The images of strange cats he had never seen before in camp lingered in his mind, and his bi-colored eyes strayed, chasing the shadows as they passed by. The calico tom-kit lapsed in their conversation, distracted by what he saw. He noticed, as they came in went, the other cats in camp had not reacted to their presence, nor had they tried to engage in conversation with them like they had to him. His thoughts wandered, curiosity peaking highly as he then returned his attention back to Smokewisp. “Do you see them, too?” He asked her earnestly, his voice holding just the slightest edge of desperation.

Lux
    Participant

Smokewisp quietly regarded the kit’s words, giving him a respectful nod. The space was appreciated, and she felt tensed muscles ease. ‘Indeed, mature beyond his moons,‘ she noted again. Whoever became his mentor would have a pawful, likely answers lots of questions while encouraging him to loosen up and relax. “That’s alright, I remember that I was rather scared and uncertain when I first became an apprentice.

However, what Waspkit said next caused her to pause. ‘What does he mean, see who?‘ She gazed towards the area he’d been looking. But, nothing was out of the ordinary. There were only a few cats about camp, and most of them were quietly enjoying their meals. ‘Waspkit knows everyone by name. No, there’s something else. What does he see? He’s not one for jokes or pranks. He’s too serious, always has been.

She tilted her head, amber eyes alight with concern. She spoke quietly as she carefully weighed her words. Alarming him wouldn’t help. But, if this truly wasn’t a joke, and he genuinely was seeing something she needed to know.  “No, I don’t believe so, but my eyes aren’t what they used to be. Tell me, what do you see, Waspkit?

Tori
    Participant

– W A S P –

His heart sunk when Smokewisp denied seeing the shadows, it made him realize yet again just how alone he was. He saw things that other cats didn’t see. What did that mean? Why was he the only one seeing them? Why, why, why? It made his head spin, asking the same question over and over and never receiving a solid answer. And the way that the deputy was looking at him made him even more uneasy– she was being careful with how she responded, wary and hesitant. Just like everyone else when he brought up the subject. It made him wonder if he shouldn’t be talking about it at all, like there was something wrong with him. 

Waspkit clenched his jaw, unsure of how he should respond. It was clear that Smokewisp wanted to know what he was talking about, did she want to help him with his troubles? She truly was kind, he appreciated the effort and it made him relax. “I see other cats,” He told her, “clear as day, just like you in front of me now. But they feel different… Old, almost. Like they’ve been around for a while. They always come and go, almost as though they’re checking in on things. I don’t think anyone else sees them though… They never try to talk to them like I do.”

Lux
    Participant

O-Oh,” Smokewisp stuttered, unable to mask her surprise. This was growing into a conversation radically outside of her expertise and comfort-zone. Her eyes drifted briefly towards the medicine den. She should probably call Hareflight, perhaps she’d be able to make heads or tails of this info. She was far more spiritual, and far more connected to Starclan.

She paused, her expression growing serious. ‘If he really is seeing something– if he can really see Starclan …

Smokewisp sat up straight, gazing intently upon Waspkit. “Although strange, it may be a gift,” she mewed. “Just because your clanmates and I cannot see them doesn’t mean they don’t exist.” Her tail gestured towards the elder’s den as she offered a comforting smile. “I’m sure you’ve heard stories of Starclan, and the amazing things our ancestors have done. I know how the elders love to share their stories.” She remember when she was young that more than a pawful were scary fables, just to scare kits into behaving. However, she imagined there was at least a grain of truth in it. Even if she hadn’t seen Starclan didn’t mean others couldn’t. “Have you considered … you may be seeing our ancestors?” She leaned in slightly, mewing more quietly, “Have you spoken to Hareflight about this? She’d know best. Honestly, I’m not great at handling things I can’t see or dig my claws into.

Tori
    Participant

– W A S P – 

Smokewisp’s words of comfort encouraged the young kit– although it did not necessarily ease the feeling of loneliness his gift gave him, it made him feel less of an outcast, less strange. Perhaps his sight was something positive? When the grey deputy started mention of StarClan, the calico tom-kit nodded. “Yes, I’ve heard the elders speak of them…” He affirmed, thinking back on the stories that their elders would speak of. Starry cats, their ancestors, those who have died but weren’t completely gone, etcetera. These cats were considered otherworldly, something to honor and pay respects to. 

Waspkit tilted his head at her injury, his interest sparked at what she was implying. “I haven’t thought of that,” He replied honestly, “Maybe I should speak with Hareflight…”

Lux
    Participant

You should,” Smokewisp purred, trying to ressaure the hesitant young tom. “She understands these things quite well. Although, I suppose Saplingskies may actually know more,” she mewed. Saplingskies had many moons of experience, and likely much better acquainted with Starclan. If anyone could recognize their ancestors, it’d be him.

The brown tabby tom seemed to have taken well to his retiring, and was quite close with Waspkit and his litter mates. In fact, he was like a father to them. Her ears swiveled, rather amused the little tom hadn’t shared this info with his foster parent. ‘Suppose he’s just now getting to the age where this feels strange,‘ she mused. ‘Those strange playmates were probably quite welcome, up until now. But, I’d hate the thought of strange, invisible cats messing with my training. Or, whatever he may be seeing.

Her long, silky tail gently swatted Waspkit’s shoulder. “I’m not sure if Hareflight is in right now, but you should go to her soon. I’ll come along, if you’d like. Or you’re welcome to ask Saplingskies.” Her lips curled into a smile, despite the concern resting within her eyes. This was something outside her element, but she’d do what was needed to help him. “We’ll make sure everything is okay, whether you’re seeing our ancestors or something else.

Tori
    Participant

– W A S P – 

The deputy’s reassurance definitely helped him to relax, and the mention of his foster father also made the young tom-kit feel less like he was without those who understood his worries. “Thank you, Smokewisp,” he replied earnestly, his bi-colored eyes bright as he spoke with the she-cat. “I’ll be sure to talk with Hareflight the next time I have the chance.” The calico kit smiled gently as her tail flicked his shoulder and he stood to his paws again, quietly dipping his head to her. “I’ll leave you to rest now, thanks again!” And he turned and trotted back to the nursery, where he hoped his foster mother wouldn’t scold him too harshly for leaving without her permission. 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Camp Lil’ Paws [Smoke & Wasp]