Kids these days.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory Winding River Kids these days.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Sunlight brushed the tops of blackening trees as dusk swept its gaze over the land, sapping color from everything and replacing it with an opaque redness. But for creatures such as the two cats setting out, the night was only just beginning.

Hawkpaw’s eyes adjusted effortlessly as they plodded through the moist bankside of the river. The young tom always found the river oddly fascinating- they had no great bodies of water where he was from. Part of him wanted to leap into it and splash around and play, but even alone he was not so secure in himself. And today was most certainly not the time for such antics.

He was following close behind Hollystar, they’d traveled in silence for nether party had much of anything to say to the other. But he was started to get annoyed with the lack of explanation for why she’d dragged him all the way out here. He felt certain it was not to kill him- she wasn’t the type. There was something about the look in a cats eyes that he could tell instantly if they were a killer- when he saw his own reflection, it was there. Like a crack in the mirror.

His right forepaw sunk through a pitfall in the earth, twisting sharply he jerked it out and employed some choice city-cat swears. There was a great deal of overlap with his vocabulary and Kass’s.

“Look, I know you dragged me out here to teach me some kind of lesson- so can we get on with it? I’m sure we’ve both got better stuff to be doing.” Growled the eleven-moon-old. When he stood tall to meet her, he was looking right at her eyes. In time, he might even look down on her.

Hollystar
    Participant

As night set upon the forest, a cool breeze ruffled Hollystar’s sleek pelt. She looked up, and let her green gaze rest on the darkening sky. This was her favorite time of day. The sky never failed to amaze her when it turned from bright blue to a fiery red color. The setting sun and crisp nighttime air always gave her a second wind, just as the evening drowsiness began to set in. She almost felt blissful in this moment.

Almost.

But she was not alone to soak in the moment. Even though neither of them had spoken yet, Hawkpaw trailed behind her. She could hear the soft riverbank squishing beneath his paws, just loud enough to remind her that she couldn’t slack off or let her guard down. She had business to attend to.

Hawkpaw had been disrespectful lately. Kass was a great mentor when it came to skills, but Hollystar felt like she needed to talk manners with the young cat. The leader saw such great potential in the tom, but after some of the edgy comments he had made during the conversation with Riverclan and at the previous gathering, she had to put her paw down.

The hair on the black molly’s back stood up straight at the sudden concoction of street-cat words that exited Hawkpaw’s mouth. She couldn’t help but give out a little giggle to herself. Hollystar wasn’t the best at being serious and reprimanding. The leader turned to face Hawkpaw as he then started to speak to her. He was getting big. she she-cat was slim, but she was tall, almost like a Windclan cat, and the apprentice was now on her level. Hawkpaw wouldn’t be an apprentice for much longer.

The ebony molly sighed, and sat down. “Look, I don’t want this to be some meaningless scolding that you’re going to ignore and forget about in a day. I want to have a real conversation with you, Hawkpaw,” she started. “I think Kass has been doing a really great job training you. It’s truly been a pleasure watching you grow into the strong cat you are today.” The leader locked her eyes with him, and her expression grew serious. “That being said, you still have things to learn. You lack proper manners and I feel like you have no respect for me sometimes. I don’t want you to end up like some of the other clan’s warriors, like Sootstain from Riverclan, or even Firebird from Skyclan. The way they acted at the gathering, and Sootstain before the battle, was appalling. In fact, there wouldn’t have even been a battle if it wasn’t for him. Antlercreek died because he couldn’t keep his mouth shut while leaders were talking civilly.” she meowed, sorrow washing over her at the thought of her fallen friend.

“I guess what I’m trying to say, is that I hope you can become a more respectful warrior than those other cats. I don’t expect you to change everything; I wouldn’t want that. I do, however expect you to show the other leaders and myself respect when it is called for. When Wisteriastar first walked into camp before the battle, it was uncalled for to refer to her as Hysteriastar,” The lithe she-cat’s facial expression shifted to a goofy grin. “However, if she was being rude to you, or if it was in battle, I honestly don’t give a shit who you disrespect,” Hollystar said with a smirk. She, too, had learned some choice vocabulary from her mate. 

Chris
    Participant

“Well, you’re not wrong. I don’t have much respect for you.” The youth stated bluntly, his eyes betraying no signal that he regretted what he said. While most cats would quiver to speak o boldly to a Leader, he did so without even batting an eye. Though it was more due in part to ignorance than bravery. A mouse could not fear a cat if it had never seen one, lest it fear everything new to it.

“I don’t know you. Just being a Leader doesn’t prove anything to me. One cat picks the next Deputy, right? So all that means is one cat thought you’d be good. And I don’t even know who it was.” The black tom shrugged, looking away as if addressing her with eye contact had grown disinteresting. 

“So, sorry to disappoint. I mean sure I don’t respect you but I also don’t hate you, so it’s not like it’s fun for me to say stuff that annoys you.” He paused to chuckle. “Well maybe sometimes it is, when you’re acting all uptight like the other Leaders. But I bet you can be fun sometimes too, Kass likes you after all.”

He walked on ahead, past her, as though unaware it would be more appropriate to let her lead the way.

“Anywho, I’ll be gone in a moon. Deal with my father is I get to leave when I’m twelve moons old, I promise I’ll keep out of everyone’s fur ‘til then.” There was a twinge of doubt deep beneath his tone, suggesting that maybe the apprentice was not certain that this was what he wanted.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Chris.
    Hollystar
    Participant

Hollystar visibly flinched at the apprentice’s harsh words, but continued to listen silently to him. She kept her gaze fixed on the black tom, even when he began to look away. When he got up, she got to her paws he he finished up speaking. The Thunderclan leader silently followed behind him, unsure what to say for a moment. Maybe she shouldn’t be so strict with him, and instead try to level with the young cat.

“I understand,” she finally meowed, stopping in her tracks. “Really, I see where you’re coming from. I’m not actually disappointed. A little hurt? Maybe. I don’t take it too personally though,” the molly meowed. Hollystar let her green gaze rest on the apprentice once more. “Hawkpaw, I will do my best to earn your respect,” she promised. “I would like to get to know you better. I’m not saying we have to be best friends, but I would like to at least earn your respect, and make sure you know you can count on me.” 

The ebony cat frowned at the thought of Hawkpaw leaving. She might not have been the biggest fan of the quick-witted tom, but she respected the fact that he would probably be one of the better warriors in the clan. With tensions rising with Riverclan, she needed as many strong cats in Thunderclan as possible. “I hope you change your mind about leaving,” Hollystar finally said. “I don’t think you realize how important you are to Thunderclan,” she meowed. “Besides, even if she doesn’t come right out and say it, I bet Kass would miss you,” the leader said with a smirk.

Suddenly, her bright green eyes lit up. I’ll show you I can be fun! she thought eagerly. “Hey, I’ll race you to that branch over there!” she exclaimed before getting to her paws and racing towards a large branch that had blown off a tree in a previous storm. As she ran, she purposely splashed through a puddle, feeling the cool water run down her sides. Yeah! I’ll be the cool leader! she thought, giggling to herself almost like a kit while her long legs carried her quickly towards the branch. As she reached the destination, she could feel adrenaline pumping through her blood and her heart beating fast. 

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Hollystar.
    Chris
    Participant

Hawkpaw stopped dead in his tracks, a brow raised in faint surprise. He hadn’t expected her to declare that she’d try to earn his respect, no cat had ever acted as if such a thing would ever be worth earning. Kass already had  it, of course, but whose respect did she not garner? It was almost a little pathetic to see a Clan Leader admit that she gave a damn what he thought of her, but it was a catch 22 with stroking his ego simultaneously. He huffed, deciding he’d give her a chance at least for her willingness to drop the bravado they all put forth. One less idiot puffing out their chest at gatherings couldn’t be a bad thing.

The young tom just stared as she took off, and decided to roll his eyes and indulge the older she-cat. He’d giebn up on kit games long ago, but it didn’t mean he thought poorly of those who could still find things to smile about. He wished he could be that carefree himself.

He staggered to a stop eventually, not sure who’d won. But he’d put his all into it, just for the hell of it.

“Why do you care if I respect you?” He quizzed, eyes sharp. “I’m just the troublemaker rogue whose mom dumped him here until he’s an adult. What’s it to you what I think of you or anything else?”

Hollystar
    Participant

“You’re pretty fast,” remarked the leader, as the two reached the branch around the same time. As Hawkpaw spoke, Hollystar met his shard gaze with a soft one of her own. “Well, I just feel like if I gain your respect, that maybe we could get along better,” she started, “or maybe it would convince you not to leave.” The lithe molly shrugged nonchalantly. “I don’t care if you were dumped here as a rogue kit, you’re still just as important as any clan-born cat that there is.”

“I guess if you don’t plan on staying, then it doesn’t matter much if you respect me or not, and in that case, it’s probably not my business,” the leader meowed simply. “I just hope you will stay. You’re going to be a strong warrior, and Thunderclan could use you. I have a bad feeling the battle with Riverclan won’t be the last of it,” she admitted, and flicked her tailtip nervously. Hollystar sat down, and began grooming her pelt.

“Do you want to do some hunting?” she suggested while she lapped her pelt smooth. They might as well be useful while they were out running around like a couple of kits. Hollystar excelled in hunting, especially at night. Her dark pelt helped her blend into the shadows, and he lithe form let her sneak up on prey easily. She enjoyed it much more than fighting in a battle. 

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Hollystar.
    Chris
    Participant

“I just don’t get why you would care one way or the other if I stay. I’ve been nothing but a jerk to you and everybody else. Sure, Kass likes me but…” He chewed his lip, reminding himself with whom he spoke. Voicing doubts about Kass’s true motives to both her mate and the Leader wouldn’t go well. “I just don’t understand why it matters to anyone if I stay. Is it just because you need more paws? Because I can’t say you’re winning me over if it’s jut warm bodies you’re looking for.” The dark apprentice scoffed.

He shrugged indifferently at her suggestion, sensing she may just want to change the subject in place of answers she didn’t have for him.

“If you say so.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory Winding River Kids these days.