Give Me an Explanation (Wolf&Startled) [CLOSED]

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory The Dock Give Me an Explanation (Wolf&Startled) [CLOSED]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

Wolfstar’s heart beat quickly as he and Startledcrow padded out of the WindClan camp together, heading towards The Dock where he felt would be the best place to speak with the begrudged medicine cat. Ever since he was an apprentice, Startledcrow had never liked the WindClan leader, and Wolfstar could never fully figure out why. Their personalities never clicked, unfortunately, so he was left dealing with most of his issues with his own daughter instead. Not that that ever bothered him, but he couldn’t help wish that he was able to have some sort of relationship with Startledcrow.

The past couple of days were cold and rainy. Now that the weather was getting slightly warmer the closer they were coming to newleaf, it rained instead of snowed, and it rained constantly. Today was the first day the sun shone through the clouds, finally warming and drying their coats. As expected, the river had risen with the intense weather, but it wasn’t at an alarming rate which made him quite happy. The Dock was his favorite place to think. The small lake they shared territory with was peaceful. Twolegs never took their swimming monsters out in the water during this weather, which made it a quite place to think. He prayed Startledcrow would feel calmed in the lake’s presence as well, and open up to the WindClan leader.

Ever since Willowfur had come to his den with Eveningstorm to inform them of her pregnancy, Wolfstar was suspicious. Yes, Eveningstorm adored and played with the kits like they were his own, but the tension between Willowfur and Eveningstorm was plain as day to him. He knew his daughter would never have kits with someone she didn’t truly love, so the kits had to be someone else’s. And Stormkit looked exactly like the WindClan medicine cat… Anyone would have been blind not to see the glances between him and his daughter. Believing his suspicions were correct, he knew he needed to confront Startledcrow before questioning Willowfur. What did the dark gray tom have to say for himself? Why would he break the rule and have kits before training his own apprentice? And why his own daughter? He knew he should be angry, but there was no point in reprimanding them when the kits have already been born and the deed was done. But he hated being lied to, and he wanted to demand the truth.

Finally, they made it to the wooden dock, and Wolfstar stopped directly in front of it, looking out to the water. A few birds chirped and flew over it, swirling in the air together as if in love. The water was still except when it got closer to the head of the stream that bordered theirs and RiverClan’s territories. The current was a little stronger than usual from the constant rainfall, but he didn’t worry too much about it. “Come,” he meowed to Startledcrow, stepping onto the sturdy dock until he got to the very edge. He knew Startledcrow wouldn’t deny Wolfstar’s request, but he anticipated some sort of remark from the young tom’s mouth. Not every WindClan cat liked being so close to the water like Wolfstar, but it was at a place like this where he could be calm during a possible heated conversation.

Feared
    Participant

Startledcrow ~ WindClan Medicine Cat

He would be lying if he wasn’t nervous about the fact that Wolfstar was walking only a few paces in front of him. His chest was squeezing together as he slowly followed Wolfstar, placing his paw steps carefully so he didn’t appear nervous but in reality he was ready to have a heart attack. Wolfstar usually tried to avoid him just as much as he tried to avoid Wolfstar, so this was rather unexpected and being as paranoid as he was.. only one could guess what it was over. Slowly he swallowed the lump in his throat as he noticed that Wolfstar was leading him towards the lake, the big grey and white tomcat seemed set on heading towards the docks. Oh sweet StarClan… please tell me we are only going to the bank. He prayed silently, chin tilted just right for his good eye to watch the ground as they walked, making sure his paws didn’t get hung up in a stray rabbit hole. Startledcrow noticed that the lake had risen a few inches, which was rather surprising considering all the rain they seemed to getting. Pft, rain. He thought with certain disdain, he hated getting wet and all this rain only dampened his mood.

Pupils narrowed and his ears lifted when Wolfstar spoke, his voice chipped as he padded out onto dock with ease, tail held up. Slowly his bright blue eyes lowered to eye the water lapping relentlessly at the wooden poles of the dock, causing him to clear his throat in a moment of uncertainty. “I am a WindClan cat… why must he always go to water..” He grumbled under his breath, but he wouldn’t dare disobey Wolfstar and possibly risk putting the other Tom in a sour mood. Swallowing his fear, he took a shaky step forward and then another as he cautiously made his way onto the dock, forcing his ears and tail to stay upright, no need to look so uneasy in front of Wolfstar. Although when Wolfstar sat at the very edge of the dock, his ears did lower then as he gave a aspirated look towards the back of Wolfstar’s head, clearly he was hesitant. Pressing his lips together out of irritation, he slowly walked towards the edge, sitting down while leaning against a wooden pole in order to keep himself from panicking. “Okay… I’m here.” He muttered warily, looking towards the water and then back towards Wolfstar.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wolfstar was surprised a snappy remark or comment hadn’t come from Startledcrow, pleased the medicine cat sat himself down warily beside him instead. His ears twitched as he spoke, hesitation clearly laced in his tone. It was strange to him that Startledcrow had been silent the whole walk there, and still remained quite silent as they sat next to each other. He noticed his ears were perked and willing to listen, and for the first time, Wolfstar felt respected by him. Either that or he was frightened Wolfstar was going to push him into the water and hold him down, but he liked to believe it was the former. “I asked you to come speak with me, because I believe you have not been entirely truthful,” he began, still looking out to the water, his tone level. “My new grandkits don’t truly know who their father is, do they?

Wolfstar didn’t move a muscle, and also didn’t give Startledcrow the chance to answer. He knew he would be defensive and question what he meant, so he continued speaking. “I’m not angry at you for falling in love and having kits. I’m disappointed that it happened, but what’s done is done. I can’t go back in time and try to change the course you and Willowfur took. Stormkit looks exactly like you, Startledcrow. She has your coat color, your eye color, and the same body type. You couldn’t have believed that would go unnoticed, right?” Wolfstar finally turned his head and looked his medicine cat in the eyes. “I don’t understand why you and Willowfur decided to keep this from me. What did you think I was going to do? Banish you both from the Clan?” He chuckled and rolled his blue eyes. “I have never been known to be that harsh. But, what I am angry at is that you lied to me and I’m sure you’ve forced Nettlenose to lie on your behalf as well. You and Willowfur began this web of lies that is spiraling out of control and has stripped Eveningstorm of maybe finding love and having kits of his own someday. You were careless.” He looked back out to the water and decided to stop talking to give Startledcrow a chance to speak.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Wolfstar.
    Feared
    Participant

The silence was killing him, Wolfstar was sitting there completely still and staring out at the blue and green murky water of the lake, while Startledcrow was slowly crumbling within himself. However, he kept himself poised and found himself leaning a bit further into the large wooden post as he found its stability to be rather welcoming. His left ear twitched for a moment when Wolfstar spoke, although his heart did a summersault, he wasn’t completely surprised when Wolfstar questioned about his new Grandkits. Startledcrow hesitated as he stared out into the water as well, trying to wrap his mind around what to say exactly. Of course, Stormkit looked exactly like him, it was a little uncanny when she had opened her eyes and two big crystal blue eyes stared back at him. His eye’s. Although he was relieved that none of his kits had clouded eyes, he still felt the panic of being able to hide this fact from Wolfstar. Desertkit looked more like Willowfur with his beautiful green eyes and his cream and grey pelt, but as he aged, Startledcrow could see that his son was more like him in personality, which only pointed more so towards Startledcrow. The answer felt heavy upon his tongue for the moment when Wolfstar barely left a pause. No… they do not. He so desperately wanted to answer, but he still felt that hesitation. He didn’t trust Wolfstar, even if he was Willowfur’s father. He trusted that he would be lenient with judging Willowfur, but not when it came to judging Startledcrow.   

When Wolfstar continued to speak, he noticed the movement of his leader and could feel his deep blue eyes staring into the side of his face. Slowly he turned his own chin for his aqua blue eyes to peer back at Wolfstar, with his chin tilted further for his right eye to properly see the tomcat. Everything Wolfstar had spoke was the truth, but Startledcrow hadn’t been the only one worried about the tomcats reaction. Nettlenose and Willowfur has also been nervous about their fathers reaction, but he could never mention such a thing. Willowfur and Nettlenose weren’t to blame. “Eveningstorm willingly took up the position to be their father.” He finally sighed, staring up at the sky as Wolfstar looked back at the water. Of course that was a bit of a lie, but after a moment EveningStorm really took to the kittens. “Willowfur and I had tended to wait until I had an apprentice and the apprentice was fully trained. We both knew that could possibly take a life time but.. we were willing to wait.” He explained, his eyebrows furrowing for a moment. “It was my fault that she ended up pregnant so soon, we thought about terminating the pregnancy but.. Willowfur quickly decided not to.” He added, a small smile on his face before he shrugged. “Nettlenose didn’t know for a while, I didn’t want her to get tangled up in everything… but that didn’t go to plan once the kits were born.” He admitted, although Nettlenose knew when they had found out Willowfur was pregnant in the first place, but he would never sell out his mentor.

Slowly he breathed out his nose and gave another small shrug. “It was a mistake for Willowfur to have a litter so earlier, but I don’t regret it. They won’t exactly know I’m their father for the sake of the clans beliefs and for my mistake. But I didn’t do anything without Willowfur’s consent.” He added, chin tilting before he looked towards Wolfstar finally. “We have never gotten along, Wolfstar. Since I was a young apprentice we have never exactly clicked. Suddenly I’m mates with your daughter and she’s expecting my kits, to say I wasn’t comfortable with approaching you was an understatement.” Startledcrow meowed uneasily, his large paws shuffling slightly against the wooden boards of the dock. While speaking, the two felines had no idea of the beaver dam that was position up river was beginning to crumble under the weight of the extra level of water.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wolfstar stayed silent while Startledcrow was explaining himself, keeping his stare straight ahead in concentration. While he was listening to everything the medicine cat had to say, he was also noting how impressed he was at the fact that they were having a calm and collected conversation. Startledcrow didn’t get immediately defensive or snap at him for accusing him of fathering kits. He’s finally growing up. Despite their rough relationship, he couldn’t help but feel proud. Wolfstar didn’t get along with every cat in the Clan, especially Startledcrow, but he never let his pride get in the way of giving credit where credit was due. He almost told him that, wanting to explain he was noticing his growth in behavior and attitude, but decided to keep it to himself. There was no point in possibly ruining the moment they were having. 

Once Startledcrow was finished speaking, Wolfstar’s lips curled into a small smile, his eyes softening as a memory occurred to him. “Did Willowfur ever tell you how Cremefur and I fell in love? She was my apprentice. We fell in love early on, and I had confided this to my friend but he told us not to tell anyone because it was frowned upon to fall in love with your own apprentice. We were scared the leader, Runningstar, was going to assign her to someone else so we kept it a secret. Not long after she got her warrior name did she give birth to our first litter, and our Clanmate’s were none too pleased with us. But…” he turned his head to look at Startledcrow. “It was true love. I’m not against your love, Startledcrow, and I would never wish Willowfur had decided to terminate the pregnancy. Kits are a beautiful thing, but I do wish the rules were adhered to like they’re supposed to.

His gaze traveled back to the lake, watching the water swirl faster and faster beneath the dock. A few lily pads wobbled at it’s surface, heading towards the mouth of the river to their right. He watched them with interest. Those plants usually didn’t travel so quickly. He decided to ignore it for now, thinking his thoughts should be directed to his conversation. “I won’t tell the rest of the Clan, although I’m sure most of them will figure it out on their own. No point in making a fuss of it, but I will not do this again if there is another mistaken pregnancy. Learn from your mistakes. And, seeing as we’re family now,” one of his eyebrows lifted and he let out a soft chuckle. “I promise I will leave our past issues behind me. I no longer wish to have this rift between us. You and I are supposed to work together, not be at war with one another. Which means I need to apologize for telling Nettlenose not to speak with you about the vision she had. That was wrong of me, and I should have thought that through before deciding it. You have just as many rights as she does with knowledge like that, and I put my daughter between a rock and a hard place unnecessarily.” He hoped Startledcrow believed him, wanting their relationship to continue as a medicine cat and leader should.

Suddenly, Wolfstar heard an unusual crashing noise coming from upriver. His head snapped to the left and his eyes narrowed as he searched where it came from.

Feared
    Participant

His ear immediately perked up when Wolfstar mentioned his former mate, Willowfur’s mother. Willowfur hardly spoke about her mother, so it was kind of interesting to hear how Cremefur and Wolfstar actually fell in love and became mates. He couldn’t hide the surprise that quickly took over his facial expression, blinking slowly as he looked towards Wolfstar. Startledcrow had no idea that Cremefur had been Wolfstar’s apprentice, he arched an eyebrow as he noticed the soft expression he was now wearing when he spoke of the memories. Perhaps they weren’t too different after all. Ears slowly turned backwards for a moment when Wolfstar mentioned that he wasn’t against the feelings he held for Willowfur, a sheepish smile rising along his dark lips for a brief moment. “Rules… yeah…” He muttered in a small voice, he didn’t particularly like the rules of their ancestors but Wolfstar did have a valid point.

Startledcrow felt relieved when Wolfstar explained that he wouldn’t tell the clan outright, they could simply find out on their own. Which probably wouldn’t be too much longer seeing how Stormkit looked like his exact copy. A small sigh escaped his lips for a moment as he looked towards Wolfstar, another sheepish smile rising along his lips when Wolfstar warned him about another accidental pregnancy. I blame Willowfur… she’s too beautiful. He thought silently to himself but slowly nodded towards Wolfstar as he agreed. It was finally turn for him to raise a furry brow when Wolfstar called them family, his tail twitching slightly for a moment before he realized that Wolfstar was the reason that Nettlenose had kept the omen of her dream a secret from him. “That… was because of you?” He questioned, his facial expression shocked but also a mix of anger and misbelief. Of course, Nettlenose has held that portion out when she tried to apologize to him. However, before he could question Wolfstar further, the loud crashing sound appeared to catch both cats attention as their heads turned quickly in the direction of the sound. “What the..” Startledcrow muttered, eyebrows furrowing as everything seemed to happen to seconds.

A wall of water was rushing down the north river, eyes widening slightly as the current of both the rivers and the lake seemed to quicken at a startling rate. “Oof.” He said in a startled voice when the portion of the dock they were standing on rocked violently with the quickened current, eyebrows furrowing as his side hit against the wooden pole of the dock. Head turned as he looked ahead as he watched the rushing wave move swiftly towards both them and rocking dock. His worries was immediately for his leader as his blue eyes flickered towards Wolfstar who was holding onto the wooden blanks of the rocking dock while noticing the rush of water. “Wolfstar, move!” Startledcrow growled, pushing off of the pole just in time for his shoulder blade to connect with the broad tomcats side, pushing him backwards onto a sturdy blank of the dock. Suddenly the wave of water crashed into the dock, knocking the end of the dock loose from the wooden poles. Startledcrow grunted as water knocked the dock upside down, a yowl of surprise leaving his lips before he felt the cold rush of the water swallow him up.

Wolfstar
    Participant

The sound came from the other side of the lake. A rolling gush of water and debris violently rushed down the river’s slope before colliding with the lake, creating a chain reaction that caused more waves. One rushed directly towards the dock before slamming into it, forcing the wooden posts to forcibly shake. Wolfstar dug his claws into the wood, his belly clenching with fear. Was the dock going to collapse? He had no fear of water, but he did have a fear of the strong current heading straight towards the river that would most surely pull him and Startledcrow under. Another wave was rushing towards them, this time with wood debris that looked like it was from the beaver dam upstream. Quickly, the water was beginning to rise as it crashed into the dock once more, and Wolfstar shut his eyes to prepare to fall directly into the lake, but a sudden force slammed into his shoulder and shoved him back farther along the dock where it was sturdier. It happened so quickly that he felt confused when he wasn’t engulfed in the lake’s water.

His head rapidly swerved side to side to try and understand what all was happening. The farther end of the dock had disappeared into the water, the wooden blanks splintered and broken at the tips. A large bundle of earth debris collected underneath the dock and headed straight towards the other side of the river that would eventually collide with the sea. But what alarmed him the most was there was no sight of Startledcrow. 

Startledcrow!” He yowled, quickly pushing himself up and staring into surging water. It was too murky to see through. “No! Startledcrow!” He lowered a paw and tried to move some of the debris away, but there was no use. His medicine cat was underneath. StarClan, please let him find the surface! Don’t let him die! Take me instead! His medicine cat only had one life, and he had just started it. Wolfstar kept calling out to the dark-gray tom, hoping he could hear him and rise up. If he tried to go after him, he too would be swept under and he couldn’t leave his Clan without a leader or deputy with only one medicine cat. 

Feared
    Participant

Rumble. Rumble. Rushing thunder like noises were echoing about in his ears as the water surrounded him hungrily, lips pressed tightly against once another as he tried to keep the oxygen locked within his lungs. Eyes were opened wide as he looked around him, everything was dark with hints of sunlight from above, paws flailing against the swift current of the overflow. Heavy rainfall had caused the lake to overflow and the mass of water flowing from the higher rivers had seemed like a high tide had been rolling in. A sturdy timber had smacked into his stomach, breaking off from the already broken portion of the dock. Ack! He immediately reacted, lips breaking apart as the breath was pushed out of his lungs. Water rushed into his mouth, tongue flailing as he tried to push the water out of his mouth before he could inhale. Need air! A voice screams in his head, causing him to inhale the water, lungs becoming full of the liquid as he drowned. Body convulsing with the need to breath but the oxygen was being starved from his brain, head tilted back as his vision began to cloud, black slowly threading in the sides of his vision. No! Willowfur! Startledcrow wanted to scream, the need for his mate almost overwhelming before his gaze went completely black, his surroundings cold and eerily silent. 

A starry figure was patiently waiting for the feline in question, of course he had completely different expectations. Thistleheart hadn’t seen Wolfstar in such a while and he was eager to see his former mentor, the message clear in his warning. However, as the form of the deceased began to take a more solid appearance, his heart fell to the pit of his stomach. Before him was the figure of a tall and slender muscular frame, with very dark grey fur that the stripes appeared black with bits of starlit flanking the outline. Startledcrow slowly breathed in and out in huffs, his eyes wide as he looked around him, two clear bright aqua blue eyes landed upon Thistleheart, who was staring down at his brother in horror. “No.. no! Startledcrow.. what.. no. This isn’t happening, you weren’t meant to be here!” Thistleheart all but wailed, his eyes wide and already brimming with tears as Startledcrow simply stared up at his brother in bewilderment. “Thistleheart?” He asked, finding a small smile find its way onto his handsome face, slowly pushing himself up from the black grass. “Startledcrow.. what are you doing here. You weren’t meant to be the one I was supposed to greet.” Thistleheart pleaded with Startledcrow, stepping forwards as he searched his dark furred brothers face before a tender voice reached both felines. “Calm, Thistleheart. We predicted this outcome.” A tall and slender white and grey speckled she-cat slipped from the shadows, her fur glistening with starlight. Startledcrow could sense that she was old, but oddly familiar as well as he gazed into two bright aqua blue eyes. His eyes. An ancestor. He thought with awe, staring silently at the feline as she gracefully made her way to stand in front of him. “W-what? Whiteash, you knew he was going to die?!” Thistleheart growled angrily, his fur bristling as he looked back at Startledcrow with another pleading glance. 

Whiteash lashed her long tail with irritation before she finally tore her gaze away from Startledcrow. “Yes, we couldn’t afford for you to alter his fate. We needed this.” She simply informed Thistleheart, who seemed as though he had been heavily slapped across the muzzle. “Excuse me?” Startledcrow spoke finally, his deep voice breaking the state between Thistleheart and Whiteash, who were both looking at him. “Speaking of which.” Whiteash muttered, tail lashing once more as two starry figures rushed past Startledcrow, diving from the dark grass below, rushing down into the lake as they fought the current and began to rise an unmoving but dark furred figure from under the water. StarClan was literally raising his body from his watery grave, but his amazement was broken when Whiteash stepped forward. “You are very important Startledcrow, we have been trying to find a way to activate your gift. I am sorry that we had to take such a drastic hand.” She apologized but her gaze held fascination as she gazed upon him, causing his fur to stand on end. “Hard times are coming for all the Clans, having a helping hand in communication couldn’t hurt.” She smiled as she stepped forth and gently pressed her small pink nose against his forehead. 

Searing pain suddenly overtook Startledcrow, eyes watering as he tried to keep himself from yelling out, his facial expression contorting with pain before his lips finally broke apart for a scream to slip from his throat. The pain was immense, but it also felt good to feel something other than peace. From the corner of his eyes he could see Thistleheart hesitate and take a step forward as if he wanted to give aid to Startledcrow but stopped himself short. Finally Whiteash stepped away from him, small gasps leaving his lips as the white hot pain began to ebb away from his forehead as he looked back at both cats. “W.. what did you do to me?” Startledcrow asked with a trembling voice, while Whiteash smiled. “I made you see.” She explained vaguely, although she was already fading away while Thistleheart stepped forwards and licked Startledcrow ears. “Good. You have to go back. It’s not your time yet.” Thistleheart declared, his figure flickering right before Startledcrow’s eyes. “No! Thistleheart..” Startledcrow struggled to find the right words, but his brother smiled tenderly. “I’ll be around, grumpy.” Thistleheart promised while Startledcrow struggled to stay upon the dark cloud, his body slipping from the sky itself as he went tumbling down. “Nooooo!” He screamed out before he felt himself hit the ground, lungs contracting as his throat swelled with the overwhelming need to gag. Lips parted as he spat up lake water, eyes parting as he found the sunlight to be rather painful, his one good eye catching sight of Wolfstar as the tomcat stood over his with a frantic expression. “Hey..” Startledcrow croaked, his throat raw and his body burning with pain, but he was alive.

Wolfstar
    Participant

He’s been down there too long. Wolfstar stared at the swirling water with horror-stricken eyes, his claws digging into the earth to try and keep him steady. No cat could have survived being underwater for that long, which meant Startledcrow was dead. No, no, no, no… Willowfur was going to be so heart broken. He knew what it was like losing a mate, and he didn’t wish that pain on anyone. Now he had to go tell his daughter that the father of her kits had drowned? The WindClan leader didn’t move, feeling sick with grief and dread. Just moments ago he was sitting on the dock trying to patch things up with Startledcrow, and now he was dead. He took a couple of shaky steps back from the water, trying to gather himself so he could turn around and tell everyone in camp what had happened.

Suddenly, a dark, sodden shape emerged from the rough waters. As if it were being carried by invisible cats, Startledcrow’s body rose near where the head of the river was and onto the grassy-floor. Wolfstar stared wide-eyed at it, stunned with disbelief. “What in StarClan’s name…” Without hesitation, he bunched his muscles and ran towards the medicine cat, stopping at his side and pressing his paws to his neck to feel a pulse. Nothing. Why did StarClan raise him up just to show Wolfstar that he was for sure dead? Anger pulsed through his body and he glared up at the sky to start cursing his ancestors, but then Startledcrow’s body convulsed and coughed out the water in his lungs. Wolfstar’s head started to swirl and he tried to keep himself from falling to the ground. 

When Startledcrow spoke, Wolfstar could only stare. He wasn’t supposed to have lived through that, yet he did. StarClan must have brought him back for a reason… Shaking his head, he sniffed Startledcrow’s body to see if he was bleeding anywhere. Satisfied he wasn’t in dire need of herbs or cobwebs, Wolfstar looked back at the medicine cat with a shocked expression. “What happened?” he asked. “You were under…and then it was too long…and then you rose? I mean…you’re alive…” Wolfstar didn’t know where to start. His mind was jumbled with so many conflicting thoughts, that he found himself speechless. 

Feared
    Participant

He blinked slowly as he looked up at Wolfstar before his eyelids felt too heavy to keep open, grunting slightly as he cleared his throat with some difficulty. His head was pounding from the rush he had been through, his stomach and chest was aching from where he had been hit from the timber of the dock. Slowly his mouth parted slightly as he ran his tongue over his lips, feeling a very small cut on the bottom lip before he opened his eyes once more as he heard a soft sniff. Startledcrow was panting softly, his lungs burning from being starved of oxygen and previously being full of water. His body was sore and stiff but he couldn’t exactly feel anything broken or deep cut in his skin, so far his body had been lucky not to be crippled. Eyes opening slowly, he looked towards the tomcat, ears twitching for a moment as his leader seemed completely shocked with seeing Startledcrow but not only that, but also alive.

“I… never want to do that again.” He laughed softly, clearly out of breath before he shifted to where he was laying on his side, looking up at Wolfstar. “I.. I think I died, Wolfstar.” Startledcrow started, his eyes flickering up towards the sky before he blinked and looked back towards Wolfstar. “I saw Thistleheart and another cat, they did something to me. They… they touched my head..” He muttered as he lifted a large paw to touch his forehead, which strangely felt a little tender. “They said something was going to happen.” He finally meowed as he looked up at Wolfstar, his eyes troubled. “We need to speak with Nettlenose.” Startledcrow muttered, trying to stand but his limbs were weak, buckling under him as he landed on his stomach once more. “Maybe.” He grunted, but he also was burning to see Willowfur, he had almost been taken away from her and needed to be reassured she was still his.

Wolfstar
    Participant

For the first time in Wolfstar’s life, a medicine cat had been risen from the dead like a leader. He stared at Startledcrow with awe, still stunned with shock. If StarClan brought him back, he must be extremely important. There was so much coming from their ancestors towards WindClan, and both instances were with his own medicine cats. What were they trying to tell him? What were they trying to tell the Clan’s? The WindClan leader blinked at the sound of Thistleheart’s name, his gaze softening with grief. He had adored his apprentice, believing he was going to succeed him one day. If he had still been alive, Wolfstar would have quickly found him an apprentice so he could become the next deputy now that Owlbelly was too sick. Now, he had no idea who was to become the deputy, and he was left feeling lost. “Who was the other cat?” he asked. “What did they look like?

When Startledcrow tried to lift himself up, Wolfstar lowered his head to stop him, pressing his nose into the medicine cat’s shoulder. “Wait here for a moment.” He swiveled his head around to scan the moorland around them. There was snow everywhere, except for a small patch of green not too far from where he was. He hoped the green patch had what he wanted. Wolfstar left Startledcrow’s side and made his way towards it, pleased when he found small white flowers attached to several green leaves, thriving in the leafbare snow. He pulled some of them from the ground before returning to Startledcrow. “Here,” he meowed, dropping the white flowers by Startledcrow’s muzzle. “Eat the chamomile first to give you physical strength.” Wolfstar had been on too many adventures not to remember what goes in the bundle of herbs cats were given on long journeys. 

Once Startledcrow was finished eating them, Wolfstar lowered himself next to him. “Alright, lean on me. We’ll get you back to camp, but don’t strain yourself too hard. I’m sure StarClan would hate it if you killed yourself trying to get you back to camp after bringing you back to life.” 

Feared
    Participant

Startledcrow sighed softly for a moment as he was asking who the other cat was, brows furrowing for a moment as he tried desperately to remember anything about the she-cat. “She was a she-cat…. she was really tall and slender. Her fur was white with grey speckles and she had my eyes.” He explained in a thoughtful voice, hesitating for a moment as he was still racking his brain to remember what Thistleheart had called her. “White… white something.” He muttered, his nose wrinkling for a moment in thought before he looked up at Wolfstar as the leader kept him from rising, no matter how impatient Startledcrow was feeling, his body was weak from the whole ordeal. “Alright.” He sighed, having no choice but to relax as he slowly ran his tongue over his lips to moisten them. When Wolfstar came back, Startledcrow was still quiet with thought, his paw gently rubbing his forehead. “I made you see…” He whispered as bits and pieces were coming back to him, slowly his blue eyes flickered towards the herb that Wolfstar had brought over, perking up as he instantly recognized the plant. “Smart.” He agreed with Wolfstar, shifting slightly to where he plucked the flowers up with his tongue, instantly chewing.

Flowers left a rather bitter taste in his mouth but it was essential for some strength to return to his body, swallowing the last of the flowers while his head turned to look back at Wolfstar as he offered a large shoulder for Startledcrow to lean on. His fur was wet, still dripping lake water and honestly he felt heavier because of it, but he said nothing but a firm nod as she pushed himself unsteadily onto his paws, wincing slightly as his chest and stomach tensed. “What was her name.” He groaned outloud, ears flat against his head as he pressed his slimmer shoulder against Wolfstar’s, suddenly grateful for the sturdy Tom to help keep him upright. “Whiteash.” Startledcrow finally meowed as the memory smacked his muzzle, walking along side of Wolfstar slowly and unsteadily. “Her name was Whiteash… I didn’t know her though.” He muttered but found himself looking at Wolfstar, did he know the StarClan Warrior?

Wolfstar
    Participant

Startledcrow’s cold fur shocked Wolfstar for a moment, but he didn’t flinch away. He could already feel his own fur starting to soak through, and he wondered if they should have waited for his coat to dry before heading back to camp. He must have felt a lot heavier than he was from the weight of the water, but he could see Startledcrow’s determined gaze and knew he wouldn’t have accepted to wait. The larger tom let him press most of his weight into his shoulder to keep him balanced, and they began to head back at a slow, steady pace. Every now and then the snow would suddenly soften and their legs would deepen into the snow which made them unstable for a few moments, but Startledcrow persevered. 

He waited patiently for the medicine cat to figure out who the she-cat in his dream was, and when he mentioned her name, Wolfstar twitched his ears with surprise. He met Startledcrow’s gaze for only a moment before looking ahead once more. “Whiteash was your mother,” he said, softly. “As you know, she died when you were very young. You and Thistleheart hadn’t even opened your eyes yet when she passed away.” Wolfstar had wondered when the young tom would ask about who his mother was, and what happened to her. He hesitated to continue, not wanting to overstep his boundaries and giving Startledcrow the terrible reason for her death, but Startledcrow was no longer a young cat, and deserved the right to know. 

Wolfstar kept his gaze forward, his words soft. “You remind me a lot of how Whiteash was when she was a warrior. Brave, stubborn, smart-mouthed. She wasn’t reckless, but she didn’t like sitting idle either. Then she started hanging around Palefog and they fell in love, which created you and Thistleheart in the end.” Whiteash and Palefog were younger than Wolfstar was, and he had been a new leader when this all happened. Seeing his Clanmate’s go through the adventure of love and then having it all end in a tragic way was heartbreaking to him. He, of all cats, knew what it was like to have your heart broke. “Unfortunately, she suffered from depression the moment she gave birth. It wasn’t because she didn’t want you or didn’t want to get to know you, it was just something she suffered from. Whiteash decided not to take the herbs she was given, and she wandered away from camp onto the Thunderpath. She was killed by a monster instantly.”

He glanced at Startledcrow, noticing their trot was getting a little slower. It was either out of exhaustion, or the fact that Startledcrow was trying to soak in all this new information. Wolfstar prayed to StarClan the medicine cat wouldn’t hold anything against him, straining their relationship even further than it already had been. He decided to stop talking for a few moments, letting the other tom ask any questions if he pleased or to stay quiet the rest of the trip back home.

Feared
    Participant

A shiver rushed down his spine, causing his teeth to clatter for a moment, but he made sure to keep his paws moving when Wolfstar moved. “Reminds me of when Thistleheart had to fetch me out of the river.” He muttered softly, his voice shaking from his faint shivers, but he was certainly determined to get back to camp. He wanted to see Willowfur. “Perhaps I should learn to swim.” Startledcrow muttered with a faint smile upon his dark lips, pupils narrowing slightly for a moment when he noticed that Wolfstar had glanced at him with surprise but before Startledcrow could really read his expression, his leader was already looking ahead while his deep voice filled the air with a certain softness. Ears immediately stood upright for a moment when Wolfstar said that Whiteash had been Startledcrow’s mother, blinking in surprise as he tried to rack his brain to see if he could remember her gentle face. Sadly the only memory he had of the she-cat was within StarClan, slowly lifting his chin as he looked up at Wolfstar with a soft furrow of his brows. “She… was?” He asked softly, his tone bewildered but also curious. PaleFog refused to ever speak of their mother and after a while he just didn’t think to ask anymore.

He listened intently when Wolfstar spoke of his mother, a soft smile reaching his muzzle when he heard he was a lot like his mother, of course he had inherited her smart mouth. His smile broadened for a moment, Whiteash certainly sounded like him, although he wasn’t sure he was as brave as she sounded. Perhaps Thistleheart took after that quality. “I do sound like her..” He mused for a moment, but as Wolfstar continued to speak, his smile disappeared and his ears began to lay flat against his head. Being a medicine cat he knew of the risks of she-cats becoming depressed after giving birth, it was actually common. Although, to hear that his own mother had been depressed and had refused treatment, he felt a certain coldness overtake his heart as he swallowed the lump in his throat. “Oh… I…” He mumbled, unsure of what he thought of his mother’s death. His paws had slowed without him meaning to, brows furrowed deeply in sorrow. He could have known his mother if she had only taken the herbs provided, he probably wouldn’t have been so cold to his father with his mother as an outlet for them both. “I didn’t know that’s how she died.” He muttered, clearing his throat as he looked up at Wolfstar and gave a small pitiful smile. “She seemed nice… she shut Thistleheart up.” Startledcrow mused with a half laugh, ears twitching upon his head as he leaned into Wolfstar. Movement from the corner of his right caught his attention, head immediately turning in the direction of the lake, but he saw nothing. Ears stood upright as he listened for any movements, but he heard nothing. Becoming unsettled, he looked away from the lake slowly and chewed on his bottom lip.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wolfstar chuckled at Startledcrow’s smile, imagining Whiteash telling Thistleheart to shut up. He had to quiet his apprentice several times when he was alive, but he always admired Thistleheart’s curiosity and out-spoken personality. “I gather he’s still a nuisance like he was before,” he joked, glad Startledcrow had taken the information better than he expected. Wolfstar was finding it easier to converse with the medicine cat, realizing he wasn’t as grumpy or annoying as he was as an apprentice. Maybe meeting his daughter, Willowfur, had forced him to communicate better than before. Again, Wolfstar felt proud of his kits. 

He gave the medicine cat a curious glance when he warily looked around their surroundings, his ears perked as if he heard something. Wolfstar did the same, narrowing his eyes. The fur along his spine prickled as if anticipating an attack or the thumping paws of a rabbit, but there was nothing. Just the sound of the bushes bristling from the soft breeze. “What did you hear?” he inquired, still on alert in case Startledcrow had heard or seen something he hadn’t. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory The Dock Give Me an Explanation (Wolf&Startled) [CLOSED]