Friends In Need (Open)

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp Friends In Need (Open)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SoliloquySilver
    Participant

Nerves were prickling in Saplingskies’ belly. He couldn’t remember the last time he heard about a serious battle, yet here he was, following the RiverClan deputy into RiverClan territory to aid their wounded warriors. Heronflight had mentioned that Hickoryroot had suddenly taken very ill when he came to ShadowClan for aid, and Saplingskies had a bad feeling in his chest. As they entered RiverClan’s camp, a serious, calm look overtook his previously anxious face. In times like these, a calm, confident medicine cat was very much needed. “Please tell Wisteriastar that I have arrived. I will check on Hickoryroot and see to your clanmates at once,” He dipped his head to Heronflight and made a beeline for the medicine den, quickly disappearing inside.

“Hickoryroot? I’m here to help you,” He called, slowly padding towards the tabby pelt of the RiverClan medicine cat. He could tell something was very wrong, it felt like eyes were watching him from every direction within the den. There was no response to his call. “Hickoryroot?” Still nothing. “Hickoryroot I need you to-“ He reached out to touch his fellow medicine cat, only to recoil in shock. The other tom was ice cold, as if he had been sleeping out in the snow. “No…No!” He leaned in closer, hoping he had just been imagining the freezing pelt, but the scent of death assaulted his nose, the smell foul, cruel, and uncaring. Hickoryroot was dead. Saplingskies’ heart sank, and he immediately felt tears welling up in his eyes. Hickoryroot had been a grown tom, a former warrior, even, but to Saplingskies he hadn’t just lost a good friend, he had lost an apprentice as well. He pressed his nose into the other tom’s fur, replaying the time they had spent together in his mind. The memories were few in numbers, but they were meaningful nonetheless. Hickoryroot would be dearly missed. “I’m so sorry for not arriving sooner, my friend. I hope you can forgive me…” He whispered, slowly pulling away. He quickly dried his eyes, regained his composure, and marched outside.

He got the attention of an able-bodied warrior and beckoned them over. “Could you retrieve Wisteriastar for me, please? I need to speak with her at once.” He couldn’t reveal the loss of their medicine cat himself. It was not his place to deliver such terrible news. He planted himself at the mouth of the medicine den, making sure no one could gain entry before Wisteriastar arrived. She needed to be the first to know.

Tori
    Participant

– W I S T E R I A S T A R – 

After sending Heronflight off to fetch Saplingskies, Wisteriastar was hesitant to leave Hickoryroot’s side from where he lay clearly immobile in the Medicine Cat den. It felt highly immoral to her to leave a Clanmate and a friend who was suffering, ill and in pain, alone. But her other clanmates were scattered in the clearing outside, clearly frantic over the state of their current healer and frightened towards his state of health and she had to put some sort of order back in to camp. “Saplingskies will be here soon,” She murmured out into the silent den, “Please hold on a little bit longer.” Pressing her nose briefly into his damp flank, the RiverClan leader slipped out of the Medicine Cat den and returned to her clanmates, doing her best to keep things quiet and orderly while they awaited Saplingskies’s arrival. 

It was not long before the slender shape of the ShadowClan medicine cat flashed in her peripheral, his pawsteps were light as he was quick on his feet, heading straight to the medicine cat den. As relieved as she was to see her friend, Wisteriastar knew that there was no time to stop him on his way to greet him or welcome him to their camp. However, there was no time to feel such a thing as relief or an overall sense of gratitude, for one of her warriors had come to fetch her, their tone hushed but urgent. Immediately, a sense of dread overcame her and she had to make a physical effort to keep the fur on the back of her neck flat.

With long strides, the calico feline made her way to the medicine cat den. She stopped in her tracks once she saw Saplingskies sitting right in the entrance of the den, preventing anyone from going inside. Her orange eyes narrowed as she took in the grave expression on his face, this accompanied with a strong and sour scent of death was all the information she needed; she knew at once that they had been too late to help Hickoryroot. Wisteriastar’s strong shoulders slumped in sadness, but she kept her composure as she brushed past the ShadowClan healer and made her way inside the medicine cat den to say one last goodbye to her friend. He looked so pitiful, curled up in his nest, cold and suffering from an illness that no one had been able to cure for him. She let out a long sigh and pushed her nose to his shoulder. “I’m sorry that we couldn’t help you.” She muttered. The RiverClan leader cleared her throat and rose to her full height, sending a glance over to Saplingskies. “We appreciate your coming today, even if the help was too late. I must inform our Clan now of what we have lost.”

Finch
    Participant

He’d set a punishing pace on his journey to Shadowclan, and crossing into their territory had been an anxious task where he’d half expected to be caught and turned back. He’d been lucky, however, to run into a cheerful young warrior who’d been extremely helpful. The discussion with Hornetstar and Saplingskies had been very brief– time was of the essence– and he’d not really managed to catch his breath enough during this before he and the medicine cat were hurrying back to the river.

And yet, it hadn’t been quick enough. Perhaps by a day. But from what he understood, the worsening in the illness had taken a sudden downwards spiral, and now… Well, he was gone. Heronflight had not gotten to know him well, but the despair of his clanmates at loosing their healer made it hard to keep face. A clan without a medicine cat was in a poor position indeed– and they’d lost two in such short succession.

He’d stayed where he was after returning to Wisteriastar, simply watching as she headed over to the medicine den only to stop short and cave in on herself. It was only for a moment, and the next she was gathering herself to thank their guest before making her way back to the warriors to deliver the news.

SoliloquySilver
    Participant

He gently touched Wisteriastar’s shoulder with the tip of his tail, giving her a sympathetic yet sad look. “I’m sorry for not being here sooner… I’ll prepare him for vigil at once and deliver him to the clearing once you announce his passing. If someone brings me Swiftstream’s body I will prepare her as well. I’m sorry for the losses your Clan has suffered this day.” His voice was soft, just barely above a whisper. It was clear that he was just barely masking his own grief. He dipped his head to Wisteriastar and quickly set to work collecting the materials he needed.

First, he cleaned the signs of sickness from Hickoryroot’s face, then he got to work hiding the scent of death. He rubbed sweet smelling herbs into his deceased friend’s fur, then carefully wove a few flowers and feathers into his pelt. He finished right on cue, as he heard the sounds of distress from the clearing, signaling that Hickoryroot’s death had been revealed. Warriors came in carrying Swiftstream’s body, so he sent them out with Hickoryroot and got to work on the deceased she-cat, a sad look crossing his face when he saw what killed her. He did his best to stabilize her neck, hoping to make the injury look less gruesome. It didn’t take him long to prepare her, and once he was done weaving the flowers and feathers into her fur he took her to clearing, hoping her family would be pleased with his work.

Tori
    Participant

–  W I S T E R I A S T A R – 

The calico RiverClanner watched with a quiet source of solemness as Saplingskies went about the process to ease the scent of death off of Hickoryroot’s body. She kept out of his way and gave him as much space as he needed to work in the medicine den. As Swiftstream’s body was brought in, the leader bowed her head in respect to the second toll of death that her Clan had suffered from these past few days. After the procedure had been completed, she decided that it was time to give her clanmates their last proper ceremony. “Thank you, Saplingskies,” Wisteriastar turned to face her friend, dipping her head to him in a display of her appreciation for his efforts, “I do hope that you will be able to stay a little longer, we still have wounds that need proper inspections.” The calico warrior flicked her tail between her own pelt and to that of her deputy’s, both of which were littered with fresh scratches. 

She turned to face Heronflight. “I’ll need help to get these two out in the clearing, if you will assist in their burial, I’d appreciate it.” She told her deputy, bending down to gently grasp Hickoryroot’s scruff in her jaws. She pulled as gently as she could, taking care of her clanmate’s lifeless body as well as being careful not to rub off any herbs that Saplingskies had prepared for him to bring him out to the center of the clearing. As Heronflight brought Swiftstream out as well, Wisteriastar caught a glance of her clanmates already beginning to gather in the clearing, clearly aware of what was happening now. “Tonight, a vigil will be held for Hickoryroot and Swiftstream. The outcomes of their deaths tonight is a reminder, yet again, of the losses suffered unnecessarily in the battle against ThunderClan. Honor them and their sacrifices. After you’ve given your peace, please check with Saplingskies to get your wounds looked at, we don’t want anymore casualties.” Having made her brief announcements, the calico warrior bowed her head once more to those deceased and returned to the medicine den to have her wounds treated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp Friends In Need (Open)