Fight or Flight [Hareflight + Saplingskies] – CLOSED

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory Fight or Flight [Hareflight + Saplingskies] – CLOSED

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

~ Hareflight, ShadowClan Medicine Cat ~

It had been under a week since ShadowClan had returned to their territory, only to find it flooded and uninhabitable. This had forced the Clan to shelter with RiverClan – something that wasn’t ideal to most of the cats involved, whatever Clan they were from. This had caused many cats to become more irritable in the passing days, and it seemed that the same thing might have happened to the younger ShadowClan medicine cat. However, none of the things other cats complained about – the smell of fish, the overcrowding – were what was bothering Hareflight.

The usually timid she-cat had become noticeably more jumpy and irritable since their journey to RiverClan camp, and it seemed that her eyes were always wandering to the area around her, as if she expected someone to leap out and get her. In fact, in some cases, this was exactly what she had expected. During their trip to ShadowClan territory, she had met up with the rogue Mercury to find out if they were okay, and had instead received some shocking news. Her father – the one she had been told died fighting for her Clan – was a rogue, a rogue who’s existence her mother had been covering up. This news had been keeping her up at night as she muddled over what this meant for her, how she would break the news to her siblings, and how she could possibly be a good medicine cat with this information at hand. 

Hareflight sighed, walking restlessly beside her mentor as they ambled further into RiverClan’s territory. Out of the corner of her eye, the calico noticed a dark shape flicker by, her head snapping to catch it. Still, when she looked, there was nothing there and she was well aware that it was her exhaustion and stress that was causing these shapes to plague her. To distract herself, she glanced over at Saplingskies, her eyes gazing vacantly at his brown tabby pelt. “W-What was it we were looking for again?” She asked softly, head tilting. Hareflight knew full well he had told her, but it was like the information had slipped through her mind. She glowered down at her paws, wishing she was sleeping instead of looking for herbs in RiverClan’s territory. 

SoliloquySilver
    Participant

Saplingskies could tell something was bothering his apprentice. She had always been sort of jumpy and nervous, but her current behavior was very odd. He sighed softly as she asked what they were looking for. “At this point we’re just looking for anything that survived the storm and flooding. Anything is helpful, especially since we have two whole clans to care for.” Saplingskies stopped to take a sniff at the ground, whiskers twitching. He dug into the earth, humming in satisfaction as he uncovered some burdock roots. The burdock plant was gone, washed away by the flood, but it’s roots remained. “Don’t want to take too many of these, but let’s grab a few. Hopefully the plant will regrow.” He carefully pulled out a few roots, making sure to leave enough for the plant to remain alive, and stuck them in his basket. “You know, learning to make these is the one good thing that came out of staying up in the mountains with SkyClan. Saffrongaze is a genius for figuring out how to make these things.” He purred, poking at the basket and grinning at Hareflight.

“So…” He began, looking over his apprentice “What’s been bothering you lately? You know you can talk to me about anything, right?” The medicine cat tilted his head, gently resting his tail on Hareflight’s shoulder.

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Hareflight focused on his words as best she could, hoping their mission would distract her thoughts. As he found the burdock roots, she hummed softly, nodding her head. When Hareflight didn’t respond, Saplingskies continued to speak, but she simply hummed in agreement, her paws shuffling in the dirt beneath them. “Y-Yeah.. They’re cool.” She meowed halfheartedly, offering him a slight smile as he grinned at her. She prepared to keep moving by taking a few steps forward, but his tail on her shoulders made her freeze and she glanced back.

As his words registered in her mind, she frowned, brows furrowing. Of course she could tell him anything. She opened her mouth to speak, but something seemed to strike her, and she snapped her jaws shut, ears pressing back against her head. Hareflight’s whiskers twitched nervously. If she told Saplingskies the truth, what would he think of her? Would he tell the Clan the truth about her and her family if he thought it was the right thing to do? What if he looked down on her for her father, thought she couldn’t do her job? She swallowed roughly, rolling her shoulders to brush his tail off her. “It’s n-n-” She clenched her jaw. “It’s nothing.” She finished, ambling forwards past him.

SoliloquySilver
    Participant

A frown crossed his muzzle as Hareflight shrugged his tail off and walked past him. “Hareflight,” His voice took on the stern tone that he only used when he was very serious. “You’ve been my apprentice for a while now. I can tell when something is bothering you. You’re more jumpy now than you were when you first became my apprentice.” He looked her over once again, whiskers twitching. “I can’t help you if you don’t tell me what’s wrong. I want to help you.” He squinted up at her as he walked beside her, tail flicking gently.

“I thought we were past you hiding things from me. There’s nobody else out here, we can just talk. Did you have a strange dream? Is someone making you uncomfortable?” He was very concerned. Had a RiverClan cat been harassing her while he was spending time training Hickoryroot? Did she receive a message from StarClan? He saw Hareflight as his daughter, and he wanted to protect her if she felt like she was in danger.

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Hareflight stopped in her tracks as Saplingskies spoke her name, her claws digging into the ground in frustration. She shook her head, trying to banish the thousands of thoughts pestering her so she could focus on the situation at hand, but this only served to make it worse. Letting out a light growl, the small calico turned to face her mentor, her face flickering between emotions as she fought for some ounce of stability. “I’m- I’m not hiding things from you-” Yes, you are, her mind insisted, but she pushed these thoughts back. “Don’t I even get any- any privacy anymore? Y-You’re just-” She let out a growl as her words dissipated on her tongue, leaving her searching for something to say. 

Before she had even registered the words escaping her mouth, they had already been said. “Just stop bothering me,you’re not my dad!!” For a long moment, she stood there in shock of what she’d just said, her dual eyes wide. Then, in an attempt to cover this up, she continued, though there was a guilty feeling already beginning to settle in her heart. “I don-don’t understand why you even care! You seem s-so happy here in RiverClan, training Hickoryroot. Why do I even m-matter to you if you’re so happy here?? W-Why don’t you just stay here?” She spat out, her ears pinning back. She sucked in a harsh breath, feeling her lips begin to tremble. She began to take a few steps away from him, and she became conscious of her body shaking lightly, proving the weight of what she’d just done.

SoliloquySilver
    Participant

Saplingskies couldn’t hide the hurt and surprise in his gaze as Hareflight lashed out at him. He stood there dumbfounded for a moment, but he suddenly straightened up and narrowed his eyes. “I may not be your father, Hareflight, but I am your mentor, and you will not use that tone with me. Just because you have your full name doesn’t mean you are no longer my apprentice. You do not need me hovering over your shoulder at all hours of the day because you know all the herbs and their uses. Hickoryroot does not. After how well you handled the flood, I thought I could trust you to do your duties without moderation while I trained him.”  The tom began to pace, one of the classic signs that he was getting worked up. “Perhaps I’ve been too soft of a mentor, if you’re acting out just because I haven’t been focused on you recently. It is unbecoming of a cat of your status to be acting this way! You are a medicine cat, not a kit!”

Saplingskies stopped, and sucked in a harsh breath. He closed his eyes as he considered his options. “No more herb collecting today. You will go back to camp, retrieve the mouse bile from our den, and check the elders for ticks. Not just our elders, but RiverClan’s as well. Once you are finished, you will find a nest in the apprentice’s den and stay there until you are ready to have a civilized conversation with me. Do I make myself clear?” Once Hareflight confirmed that she understood, he gestured back in the direction of camp. “I will check in with the elders once I return. It will be in your best interest to do as I have instructed.”

He rolled his shoulders, a low growl escaping him as he thought about Hareflight’s words “And maybe I will stay in RiverClan. At least cats appreciate me here…” he huffed, tail flicking agitatedly.

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

As soon as the words began to pour out of Saplingskies’ mouth, she knew just how much her words had impacted him. Truly, she hadn’t meant to hurt him, she hadn’t meant any of what she’d said. “W-Wait, I-” She stammered, but her mentor continued to talk. She flinched back at his words, hurt flashing in her dual-coloured eyes. He thinks I’m acting like a kit? She opened her mouth to say something more, but closed them, guilt rolling in her stomach. Maybe she had been acting that way. She didn’t try to say anything more as he ordered her back to camp, she simply took a deep breath, her ears folding back against her cranium. “I understand..” she said softly, turning towards the direction of RiverClan’s camp as instructed. 

His next words shot straight through her, and Hareflight froze mid-step. They might not have been meant only about her, but the calico molly didn’t stop to think about this. The regret and the guilt rose in her like a wave, and for a moment, she just stood there, trying to get herself under control. Is he planning to stay? He doesn’t think I appreciate him, why would he stay? After all, I’ve got my full name… Maybe he gave me it so he could get away from me. A thousand thoughts raced through her mind, but she swallowed them back and blinked her eyes, trying to relieve the stinging. Hareflight looked back, preparing herself to say something to her mentor, but no words came out. Feeling tears coming on, the medicine cat simple blinked tightly and turned away, racing back towards camp without another word to her mentor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory Fight or Flight [Hareflight + Saplingskies] – CLOSED