don't hold your breath [fishtail/wisteriaflower/fernshade]

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory The Rapids don't hold your breath [fishtail/wisteriaflower/fernshade]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tyler
    Participant

Unlike others before him, Fishtail had fallen into his role like no other. This was his calling and the evidence was true on his face as he walked around camp with an unseen vigor and confidence he hadn’t possessed since before the accident. It was as if all the puzzle pieces had finally connected for the young shaman, leaves sticking out of his colorish pelt and a water dripping freely as he re-entered the camp in order to find help. What was once hard to admit, Fishtail had to reluctantly ask for help every once in a while. He was a capable tom, but some things were near impossible for him. 

That’s why he had instilled the help of two warriors to help him. Wisteriaflower, his previous mentor and heroine figure, and Fernshade, a young tom who had been recently turned into a warrior. His ceremony had come and gone much like the fleeting rain showers in the forest and the time for celebration was over. It was time for him to do some duties, Fishtail decided when he nosed him awake expectantly. 

He hadn’t exactly explained what he needed until they were jogging through the territories, mostly just saying how he needed assistance gathering herbs and the like. His gait slowed near the river and the young tom signaled with his tail for the others to follow suit. “Hold on, I need a second,” he mewed, closing his eyes for the land to stop spinning as his golden gaze floated around his skull. He blinked three or four times before nodding to the river. This would not be an easy task. 

“I tried to get to it myself, but I can’t hold my breath long enough to get to it. The current is stronger than usual.” He flicked his tail in annoyance, referring to the long batches of marbled red seaweed at the bottom of the river. “Do you think you could reach it? I’d be grateful. Usually I collect the seaweed from down river but.. well, this is a different color,” he emphasized. “It could do anything.”

Manna Moth
    Participant

An insistent prodding in his side rose Fernshade from his slumber. Blinking sleep from his eyes he rose his head to meet Fishtail’s expectant gaze.Half asleep he made out that Fishtail needed help before the tom exited the den. He was still tired from his ceremony but figured he’d make an effort to keep his remarks to himself considering the medicine cat rarely asked for help. He left the den and had time for a quick stretch in the sunlight before Fishtail returned with the Riverclan deputy in tow. The three set off towards the river while Fishtail explained his request. 

“Wait, so you need us for seaweed?” he said bewildered with a questioning tilt of his head. Of all the things to wake me for he sighed. He padded to the edge of the water and dipped a paw in. The river was flowing fast today and cold despite the sunshine. “I’m a strong swimmer but are you sure this plant is worth the soak?” he asked with a side glance at Wisteriaflower. He could see the red seaweed swaying beneath the surface and his whiskers twitched in dismay at the thought of plunging into the crisp water rather than being curled up in his nest back at camp. 

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Manna Moth.
    Jetstream
    Participant

Wisteriaflower was more than happy to accompany Fishtail out of camp, despite how early in the morning it was. She had already sent the dawn patrol out on their way and assigned hunting patrols to venture out to replenish the fresh-kill pile. When her former apprentice slipped to the warrior’s den, the calico molly waited patiently in the clearing for him to return. Surprise lightened her amber eyes when she saw Fernshade emerge from the den. The warrior had been up all night for their vigil and had been getting well deserved rest. She didn’t want to wake him, but he came with them without complaint.

“How are you feeling?” She asked the tom as the trio made their way to the river. When Fishtail explained what he needed from the river, Wisteriaflower knew immediately that the likely-hood of him needing the seaweed for healing purposes was slim. He probably just wanted to paint the walls of his den more. She knew well that this was an important matter for the medicine cat, but she couldn’t help but feel that it was unnecessary to drag Fernshade along with them. The new warrior would be exhausted after his vigil, and diving right into a fast stream did not sit well with her.

“Then I’ll go.” The deputy decided. Her tattered ears flicked down to the bed of the river further down that held the red seaweed. “You need those, right?”

Tyler
    Participant

When the young healer was met with sass from the warrior his whiskers twitched in annoyance, “Yes I employed the help of both of you- StarClan didn’t exactly grace me with athleticism did they?” He hummed, gesturing to himself with his tail and letting out a good-natured chuckle. “Maybe if you attack it from upstream? Use the current as a guide?” He suggested with a shrug of his slim shoulders before perching himself at the bank. 

The elusive red seaweed taunted him from below the surface, moving.. slithering almost. “It’s imperative that I get this seaweed. Think of all the medicinal properties! I want to figure out how we can best utilize the things we have in our own territory before I branch out to the other clans. It’s better to be prepared before tragedy strikes. It’s like.. the same reason of why we train apprentices.”

His gaze turned to the she-cat and offered her a large smile, “Yeah! If you could try and get the whole plant that’d be amazing. With the current like this, don’t be surprised if you need to try it a couple times. I can’t deal with shredded herbs.”

Manna Moth
    Participant

Well, there was definitely no putting it off then. “Guess I’ll go first, it’ll serve as a wakeup call” Fernshade joked. Padding upstream he crouched and braced himself for the cold chill of the river. Taking a deep breath he sprang into the river.

Opening his eyes he let the river guide him as he swam lower towards the bottom of the river. The current was too fast and he fought to slow himself. Paws churning he reached out his neck to quickly clamp the plant in his jaws before the strand he was holding ripped. Running out of air let the current sweep him away before breaking the surface with a gasp.

“Mousedung!” He hissed, paddling to shore and giving his pelt a shake. He’d only managed to grab a single frond. He laid the seaweed beside Fishtail for the medicine cat to examine. “This is harder than it looks, if we go strand by strand it could take forever.” Looking back into the river he noticed the plant was rooted into the pebbles beneath the surface. “What if we dig it up somehow? We could find a strong stick and uproot it. One cat to dig and the other to catch it downstream.” He asked Wisteriaflower turning to face the Riverclan Deputy.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Manna Moth.
    Jetstream
    Participant

The calico she-cat nodded towards Fishtail at his instruction, however, she found that she had not even a heartbeat to act, for Fernshade had gone ahead and dove in despite her previous statement. Wisteriaflower flicked her tail in a show of distaste. Even if she had not been deputy for many moonrises, she did not appreciate warriors that could not follow her instructions. She waited until the tom had returned to the surface, holding not but a single strand in his jaws and placing the weed below their medicine cat’s paws. Briefly, Wisteriaflower wondered if she could have done better herself, but she decided that perhaps that was the best they might achieve in the rapids as-is.

The calico cat nodded at Fernshade’s suggestion as he resurfaced. “Very well, then. Since you’re so eager to get your paws wet then you may dig the stems from beneath the water. I will fetch a firm branch to use.” Her tone was even, not necessarily what one would call icy, but it was firm and cold and left little room for discussion. The deputy’s earlier sympathy for a night’s tiresome vigil was now gone, replaced with an affirmative air towards their current duty to assist Fishtail in his quest for the colored seaweed. 

Wisteriaflower scored the ground around the fast current of the river. Their territory was never necessarily the best for finding broken off pieces of bark, or twig for that matter- they weren’t ThunderClan. But after a few moments of searching, she located the scent of birch and after rummaging through a few fallen bits, she found one that was long and firm enough to use as a foothold for their mission. Grasping it in her jaws, the deputy returned to her Clanmates and placed it carefully before their paws. “Will this do?”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory The Rapids don't hold your breath [fishtail/wisteriaflower/fernshade]