Are We There Yet? [CLOSED]

Forums The Outskirts The Outskirts Are We There Yet? [CLOSED]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

~F O S T E R~
    ~Jumper~
    ~Luna~

This was it. The moment that Foster had been waiting for. His eyes traveled up to the top of the mountain he stood directly beneath, his paws itching to start climbing the rocky cliffs and travel to the top, anxious to look down at the whole world from the highest point. Even though he knew they were only crossing through the mountains and not traveling to the top, just being close to them sent chills down his spine. There was something beautiful about them that Foster couldn’t quite explain. It was like he was drawn to them. His soul had a connection with the majestic ranges that seemed to pierce the sky. If only I could grow wings like a bird and fly all the way up there. The smile on Foster’s face didn’t waver when he turned to the group behind him. He could see amusement in Casper’s gaze as well as Mystics, but Jumper rolled his eyes and pressed forward. “Let’s go already,” Jumper murmured, brushing against Mystic as he began to climb upwards. 

The mountain wasn’t too steep, which made Foster comfortable with letting Casper come along. If they had to climb a harsher environment then he would have found a better way to get to their destination, but he was confident his young friend would be able to follow closely behind. “Thank goodness the storm came through in the valley instead of here. I don’t see as many bushes to hide under. Although, I wonder if there are caves.” His eyes widened even more with wonder, and he followed Jumper to begin their ascent. The rocks felt hard underneath his paw pads, but that didn’t matter. His paws would gets used to it soon, and he wasn’t going to let sore pads stop him from pursuing his long-life dream. “It’s hard to believe there’s an ocean behind these mountains,” he commented, trying to imagine a vast amount of water on the other side of these humungous hills. “I remember someone telling me that you’ll scent the ocean before you actually get to it, and I don’t smell anything but rock and dirt…and a little sage.” The sage bushes speckled the side of the mountain, scattered sporadically. Were there any medicinal properties to sage? Foster fell into step beside Mystic as they both pressed forward, his pelt brushing against hers, his heart jumping at the sudden touch. He cleared his throat. “So, how many sunrises do you think it’ll take to get to the other side?

Luna looked up at the top of the mountain and flattened her ears, instantly feeling small. Why would Foster ever want to climb one of these things? The thought of even traveling over the bottoms of them made her skin crawl, but she followed the group anyways. It had been a long few sunrises of just traveling, and she was beginning to feel more tired than usual. Not only that, but she was also getting nauseas every day, and she hoped that she wasn’t beginning to get sick. The last thing their group needed was one of them getting sick and forcing them to stop for a few days. Luna watched Jumper run ahead of them all, confidently jumping over rocks and swerving around bushes that were in his way. She wondered if he had been to these mountains before, and she realized that she didn’t quite know a lot about her mate’s past. That thought made her uncomfortable and she brushed it away. If Jumper wanted to talk to her about himself, he would. Luna jumped over a rock, the bottom of her belly brushing against the top of it. Luna winced when it rubbed against the still-fresh cut that Jumper had given her, but she kept quiet, not wanting to draw attention to herself. Luna pressed against Casper, ears still flat. “This is intimidating,” she meowed. “Are you a little afraid too?” 

Feared
    Participant

Casper ~ Rogue • Mystic ~ Rogue

Any fool could see that Foster was beyond enthusiastic about crossing through the mountains, his eyes were bright with excitement and his brown tabby pelt was ruffled from the emotions coursing through him. It was amusing, the she-cat had to keep herself from smirking as they were beginning to leave the valley in their wake and journey further up into the mountains. Her paper-thin ears rotated in the direction of Jumper as he grumbled, clearly he wanted to get this hike over and done with but his behavior didn’t bother her one bit. Instead she didn’t bother even acknowledging him, even though as he walked past her, he brushed against her side. The feeling was intimate and to be honest, she didn’t want him to touch her, he had Luna and her mind was else where. On someone else. She didn’t dare speak this thought, grunting slightly as looking away from Jumper as he passed, she would not forgive him anytime soon for his words spoken only days ago. She was not his, nor had she ever been in her mind, instead her deep blue eyes flickered towards Foster and Casper, the two friends hovering close to one another as Foster spoke with excitement, her smile threatening to soften. She had to admit… it was adorable. She listened to his jabber, anything to take her mind off of Jumper, her blue eyes flickering towards Casper’s face, the young tomcat was curious about what his friend had to say but he was also cautious and nervous, she could smell it. Mystic had made this hike before, she knew her two young companions could make this climb with their eyes closed, they were young. However, she nodded faintly in agreement with Foster, the further they got across the mountain and they would indeed scent the salt and silt that usually hung heavily over the sea. She blinked out of surprise when Foster suddenly slowed his pace to where he was now walking beside of her, silently pleased as the black she-cat peered you curiously at him. Their pelts has brushed and although she didn’t want to admit it, her heart beat had quickened and the spot where they had touched tingled. “Hmmmm. Probably around six sunrises, it’s a very large mountain but it’s a fairly smooth walk with climbing here and there.” She admitted with a nod, looking towards the handsome burry Tomcat for a moment. “Try not to talk Casper’s ear off, he’s too nice to tell you to shut up.” She teased softly, lightly head butting his shoulder with her head. They were certainly getting closer and closer as the days raged on, she wasn’t ignoring it but she also wasn’t pushing it. “I on the other hand will shut you up.” She smirked with a proud little smile, her long black tail waving behind her as she walked close with the dark brown tabby, any thought of Jumper disappearing.

Casper was anxious to say the least, he had never traveled this far or had even been this close to a mountain! Foster was simply insane for being so damn excited, his little heart was pounding rapidly within his chest but he was also a little excited and amused towards Fosters child like behavior. He gulped at the mention of a cave, eyebrows furrowing as his short cream fur ruffled at the mere thought. “No caves, Foster. I would like to keep all limbs in tact.” Casper responded but Foster wasn’t paying attention, he was just rambling to whoever would hear him. Silently thankful that Foster slowed to speak with Mystic, the black she-cat appeared to have an effect on him that Casper was too blind to notice. He didn’t understand romance just yet, instead he moved to where he was now walking along side his sister. She seemed just as anxious as he was, her facial expression sullen. Blinking in surprise the growing young Tom pressed his flank against her own, rubbing his cheek against her neck in a sign of comfort. “I am terrified.” He admitted in a small voice to his sister as she questioned him, but he smiled softly regardless as he looked at her with his clear blue eyes. “But I’m with you, and the others.. I have no doubt we can do this. Just take the climb at our own pace.” He reassured his sister and gave her ear a lick, even if her mate didn’t like that he was affectionate to his sister, he wouldn’t leave her side while climbing, not when she was even more nervous than he was. “Are you feeling okay today?” Casper curiously asked, leaning towards Luna as he sniffed at her pelt. She smelt a little odd and her movements were slow as if she felt sick, worry was immediately clawing at his stomach as he looked towards Mystic and Foster, suddenly wondering if they could help Luna with whatever was bothering her.

Wolfstar
    Participant

~F O S T E R~
    ~Luna~
    ~Jumper~

Foster kept his gaze forward, still in awe of the great mountain that loomed before them. The cold grey crevices held many secrets that he wanted to learn, almost sacred. The only thing bigger than the granite peaks was the light blue sky, patched with puffy clouds that swirled around the top peaks. He didn’t understand why the rest of their group didn’t feel the wonder like he did, but he didn’t let it deter him from feeling it. He chuckled when Mystic told him not to yap Casper’s ears off, and he scoffed, nudging her shoulder with his. “Don’t be so grumpy! You can try and shut me up all you want, but I think you and I both know that I can take you down.” He gave her a teasing wink, referring to when they first met and he had dropped her in a second. Foster wasn’t blind to the fact that he and Mystic were getting closer, but he also didn’t want to force it to happen quicker, wanting to keep things at a slow pace. He had been down this road before, and it didn’t end up how he had wanted… Bella… Foster’s ears twitched with surprise at the sudden name that popped in his mind. He hadn’t thought, or spoken of, Bella in a long time. He pushed the thought of her away, not wanting to put himself back in that awful time. Instead, he turned his head to roll his eyes at Casper. “When I find a safe cave to camp out during a cold night, I’ll make sure to remind you that you say ‘no’ to caves.” His tail twitched with amusement.

Luna softly chuckled at Foster’s teasing words towards her brother, admiring how close they were after only knowing each other for a few moons now. Luna and Casper grew up in the same litter, yet there was a different kind of friendship that Foster and Casper possessed that she would never have with her brother. The cream-colored she-cat smiled and leaned her head to Casper when he rasped his tongue over her ear in reassurance. “I know. It’s still intimidating though. It’ll be nice when we finally get to our destination.” The thought of passing through the mountain ranges and visiting a body of water that was apparently larger than she could have ever imagined had been scary when it was just she, Jumper, and Mystic. But with the others by her side, especially Casper, it wasn’t as frightening. When Casper sniffed her pelt to check for sickness, she shrugged her shoulders and tried to give him a reassuring smile. “I’m a little under the weather, but I’ll be fine. Nothing to worry about.” Foster, only a few paces ahead of the siblings, twitched his ears when he heard her, and he stopped walking to turn towards the she-cat. “You’re not feeling well?” He questioned, hesitating a little as he leaned to sniff her coat. His chest tightened at the familiar smell, and he froze for a second before shaking himself out of it and nodding his head. “No worries, Luna, you’ll be fine. Why don’t we rest for a bit and get something to eat before we venture too far in the mountains? I don’t really know what prey we’ll be finding in here, so it’s best to fill our bellies now. Casper, watch over Luna while we hunt.” Foster turned to Mystic and gave her a knowing look of concern. He yelled towards Jumper who was still quite a ways ahead of them. “Jumper! We’re stopping to eat! Find something!” He could hear the grumble of annoyance from the other tom, and he watched him slip away to begin his hunt alone. 

Foster nodded his head to the right, motioning for Mystic to follow as he padded away from the siblings. He pressed his head close to Mystic’s when she caught up to him. “I know the scent emanating from her, Mystic. Luna is expecting kits.” He was surprised at how young Luna was. She was only four season’s old, and she was expecting kits? Part of him wanted to claw Jumper’s ears off, but they were mates. “She’s not showing much, which means that she probably doesn’t know yet. I’m glad you said we’re only six days away from the destination, because it’s hard to go on a journey with a heavily pregnant she-cat or with kits running around our paws.” He glanced back at the disappearing forms of Luna and Casper. “But I’m a little…surprised.”

Feared
    Participant

Casper ~ Rogue • Mystic ~ Rogue

She lifted an eyebrow in Fosters direction for a brief moment, smirking faintly in annoyance as he brought up the fact that he had taken her down with such ease, it was a pile at her pride but he also wasn’t wrong. “Lucky chance.” Mystic smirked, giving him a dirty look while her long tail lashed slightly behind her as she gazed at the big tabby tomcat, her tail hitting against his hip as she walked beside him. “Wait until I am stronger, I’ll have that tail stuck between your legs.” She smirked faintly, but her deep blue eyes faintly glimmered with amusement, ears twitching slightly for a moment as she noticed that something had caught Fosters attention as he turned to look at Luna and Casper. She grinned slightly as Casper pouted as Foster chastised the younger Tom for complaining about caves, one took whatever shelter they could when in bad weather. Shaking her head she looked away from Casper and Luna, her thoughts trailing else where as she silently prayed to whoever was listening that she would make in time. Humans could be funny about their timing, they could leave earlier than expected or they could later than was actually planned. Mystic wasn’t really paying attention until she noticed that Foster had slowed his pace to where he was no longer walking and was looking curiously at Luna before he walked towards her and took a sniff at her pelt. Luna wasn’t feeling well? “Perhaps I can find something to soothe her stomach?” Mystic offered not exactly sure what was going on with the younger she-cat.

However the look Foster had given her made her chin tilt with curiosity, simply worried about what could possibly be going on with the young molly. Casper on the other hand was more than relieved to hear that his sister was alright, nodding slowly as he looked towards his littermate and gave her a small smile. “See? Now we can rest until you start feeling better. Come on, let’s go lay under that tree.” Casper meowed enthusiastically, his tail lightly rubbing along his sisters side as he hurried towards the tree, his chin going back to stare up at the large tree with a grin of wonderment. “Ever wonder how they grow so tall?” He asked his sister, lowering to sit on his rump before his blue eyes sought out her cream and black spotted pelt. She looked tired and a little sick to herself judging from her facial expression, and silently he was a little annoyed that Jumper had noticed that his mate wasn’t feeling well. It had taken Casper to mention something but that didn’t matter, he would always look out for Luna.

Mystic watched the two siblings for a moment before she hurried after Foster, her heart picking up its speed as she reached the male, their faces so close to one another as she gazed at his handsome features. However what he said next made her heart freeze, her stomach flipping and her paws suddenly becoming heavy as lead as she gazed up at Foster her mind racing. So Jumper is finally going to get what he wants.. kits of his own. But she’s so young! She’s barely a kit herself. Mystic’s mind was moving swiftly but she wasn’t exactly hearing what Foster was saying, her deep blue eyes lifting to gaze back up at the tomcat as she nodded slowly. “Very… surprising. She’s so young.” She whispered softly, her ears laying flat against her head foe a moment as she hesitantly looked back over her shoulder blade. This was all her fault. She had been able to keep Jumper at bay, she was in control of her body and when she wanted to be pregnant but Luna was naive and had no idea what had been going on when mating. At least that’s what Mystic hoped, did the young molly know she would become pregnant? “Jumper and Luna may not be able to make the journey back across the mountains.” She mumbled softly, clearly disturbed with this news but honestly she shouldn’t have been surprised. This is what she wanted wasn’t it..? “I’ll have a talk with her when I get back… explain to her what’s going on.” Mystic nodded slowly as she looked over her shoulder briefly before looking at Foster, sighing softly as she brushed past him and continued to walk further into the forest. If it hadn’t been Luna it would have been her and she didn’t want lots with Jumper, but she still felt disgusted with herself.

Wolfstar
    Participant

~F O S T E R~
    ~Luna~
    ~Jumper~

Luna could tell Foster had stiffened for a few seconds after sniffing her, which made her uneasy even after he stated out loud that she would be fine. I don’t believe you. Fear crept into her mind and she frowned. She was just tired and a little nauseas, what was the big deal? Why would that make her smell any different? When Casper herded her underneath a large tree, she complied and followed him, her head and tail lowered. “Nobody needs to make a big fuss over me,” she meowed, ignoring Casper’s curiosity towards the tree. “I was actually thinking that maybe I should start training with you and Foster. I should know how to hunt, right? Shouldn’t all cats?” Her head swiveled towards where Jumper disappeared by a few boulders on his hunt, and she wondered if her mate would be okay with her learning how to hunt or fight. The thought of fighting someone made her pelt want to shiver with unease, but if their group had to fight something off then she would be utterly useless. “Why don’t we start now while the others are hunting? I’m not feeling too sick. Show me something how to stalk prey, Casper.” Luna smiled and gleamed up at her brother, her paws fidgeting with restlessness. 

Foster watched Mystic’s face go from surprise to guilt, and he wanted to pry about it, but he kept his mouth shut. Mystic was not someone who would talk about something unless she wanted to, and it wasn’t his place to question something that had happened before he and Casper joined them. The dark brown tabby’s ear twitched and he sighed. “If Jumper and Luna don’t go back, then Casper won’t either…” That thought scared him. Foster didn’t have a big idea on what they were walking into when they got to the ocean, which made him nervous about being forced to stay there because Luna would be close to kitting. Casper had finally found someone in his family, and Foster knew that it would be impossible to separate him from Luna. He opened his mouth to explain his worries, but Mystic was already turned away for her hunt. He frowned. 

I already caught a shrew, and you’re over here staring at rocks.” Jumper hopped down from a small ledge and padded towards Foster with his catch between his jaws. The blood from the shrew hit the roof of Foster’s mouth, and his belly grumbled. Jumper dropped the shrew on the ground and began to already tear into it. “Don’t you think we should hunt for the others before ourselves? What about Luna?” Foster questioned, his eyes narrowing into tiny slits. Jumper chuckled and swallowed his mouthful. “We can’t feed them if we’re starving too. It’s starting to look like Luna’s eating a little too much anyways.” Foster unsheathed his claws and bit his tongue, willing himself not to swipe at Jumper’s face. It wasn’t his place to tell the annoying tom that Luna was expecting kits, not getting fat. He turned away from Jumper without another word.

Idiot. He can’t see past his own paws and needs. If only Luna had known better than to pick the first tom she saw. Foster growled under his breath and pushed himself through a fern bush. A red fox was nibbling at a bush with bright red berries on it, picking off the berries and squishing them between its teeth. The wind drifted from Foster to the fox, and the creature immediately snapped its head in Foster’s direction, the muzzle red with juice. Foster froze and widened his yellow eyes. Please just go away. Its lips curled up in a snarl at the sight of the cat, and it let out a high-pitched yap to warn another fox that was on the other side of the bush. This one was much smaller, but just as feisty. The hairs on the backs of their necks and spines lifted with warning at Foster, and he stepped back, his own lips lifting up in a snarl. The larger fox lunged, and Foster lifted his muzzle in the air. “Fox!” He yowled as loud as he could to warn the others before he was barreled into the ground, the fox’s teeth snapping in the air to get to his neck. He unsheathed his claws and scratched at the fox’s belly until he could feel its warm blood trickling down. The fox whimpered and got off of him, giving Foster enough time to stand up before being barreled into again, this time by the smaller one. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Outskirts The Outskirts Are We There Yet? [CLOSED]