A word of Wisdom (Wisteria and Sorrel)

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp A word of Wisdom (Wisteria and Sorrel)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Feared
    Participant

SorrelEmber ~ RiverClan Queen

Warm rays of the sun was gently beating down on the richly colored pelt of the young she-cat, pointed paper-thin ears twitched slightly as she listened to the soft sound of paws lightly hitting against the cushion of the reeds that lined the camps clearing. The base coloring of her pelt was a pale ivory white while deep red and rich black streaks painted her pelt in such an elegant fashion that she looked almost exactly like that of the RiverClan leader! Black nostrils flared as the new queen breathed in the scent of the clan around her, the familiar scent of fish and the gentle breeze twined with the scent of a sweet spring nearby. Slowly her small head gently rubbed against the moss nest before her eyes fluttered open, fiery pumpkin orange colored eyes flickered to life as the young feline was beginning to wake up from her evening slumber, lips parting in a yawn before she lifted her head and sleepily blinked as she looked around the clan.

The battle of the five clans had happened only four days ago and the moral of everyone was fairly low, there had been casualties on both sides and everyone was recovering from their injuries. Luckily she hadn’t been present, but she also felt nasty that she hadn’t been able to help her clanmates. Her stomach was swollen, she was a month and half pregnant, only a few more weeks until her growing kittens made their appearance into the real world. For now her kittens were barely squirming within her stomach, which meant that her nausea wasn’t overpowering. Finally she pushed herself into a standing position, slowly stretching out her tall and round figure, tail sticking up straight against the ceiling of the nursery den before the young queen stepped out of the nursery. The sun was still hovering over her pelt, keeping her warm even though the temperature was rising every minute of the day, there were times where she felt cold. “Mmmmm.” She sighed softly as she laid down outside of the nursery, licking at the streaked fur along her chest.

Tori
    Participant

– W I S T E R I A S T A R –

Four days had passed since the war of the five Clans had occurred, a battle that, to her, seemed senseless and unnecessary. Was the actions of her son truly so severe that it demanded the outcome it had ultimately come to? Grief twisted her heart as the death of her son, Pantherstorm, resurfaced once again, the wound fresh as it had yet to heal with time and understanding. Had she misunderstood her own kit so badly? No, she knew what he was the moment she laid eyes on him. She knew he held that terrifying resemblance to her father and she knew that it would only be a matter of time before he followed the same path of blood. That was why she was so distant with him and perhaps borderline neglectful and cruel to her own son. Wisteriastar could not find a place in her heart to love Pantherstorm because of this. However, despite her complications with him, when accusations had been thrown to him that she knew deep down had to have been valid, she still wanted to protect him and believe in any goodness of his heart that may ever-so-faintly exist. 

But that didn’t happen. Pantherstorm truly was rotten to the core and her personal struggles with her son had caused the tragedy of the Final Battle, countless lives between all Clans of the sea lost. She wasn’t the one to declare war, but that didn’t undermine her actions that had participated in the outcome. She had lost so much in these past few days and loss hollowed her on the inside. But the calico warrior knew that she had to be a strong leader for her Clan, to recover what had been taken from them, so she couldn’t let herself wallow in misery. She had to put on a farce of strength and greet her Clan with dignity. 

The Clan leader left her den, pausing for a moment to look down from the height of the waterfall to look down upon her clanmates as they went about their duties for the day. She was grateful for Heronflight for remaining dutiful to his responsibilities despite their previous misunderstanding and staying as her side as her deputy. As much as she didn’t want to admit it, she would be a little even more at a loss without him. Her tattered ears flicked, removing herself from her thoughts and her orange eyes drifted, catching the sight of her daughter outside of the nursery. Something akin to the feeling of hope flickered in her chest at the sight of Sorrelember, now close to giving birth to her first litter. It was a little strange for her, the thought of her kits having kits. It was hard to believe that her second litter had reached that age already. It makes me feel old, even though I have several more moons ahead of me, the calico warrior chuckled slightly to herself at the thought. 

Wisteriastar leaped down from her spot and made her way across camp grounds, heading right to the nursery, where she stopped just short in front of her daughter. The two of them had never quite seen eye to eye, as she was sure that Sorrelember held a certain amount of resentment for her in terms of how she had handled Pantherstorm. She probably didn’t want to really speak to her now either, given the battle that had resulted in his death. But she wasn’t going to avoid her daughter or walk around her on thin ice. She never was the type of cat to fear confrontation. Instead though, she wanted to focus on the positives that RiverClan did have to look forward to. “You’ll be having kits soon,” She said, her wispy tail motioning to the calico queen’s swollen stomach, “How are you feeling?”

Feared
    Participant

Although she was cleaning her pelt, keeping the dried pieces of moss from getting tangled in her painted fur, she was well aware when Wisteriastar made her appearance from her den. Everyone paused momentarily to look up at their leader and dip their heads in respect or blink in gratitude towards her. SorrelEmber thought it best to ignore the older she-cat, the tip of her tail twitching slightly for a moment as her fiery gaze flickered towards a handful of warriors that had taken only seconds to pay their respects to their leader, which caused her blood to boil. Wisteriastar wasn’t a horrible leader, in fact she was probably one of the best leaders that RiverClan had the chance to have. Although, she wasn’t the beat mother to her second litter. She had been rather distinct and pushed her kittens away as she became deputy and soon after that leader of a whole clan. Wisteriastar’s first litter had a warm and comforting relationship with their mother, but the second litter with the exception of Kiopetal, didn’t have such luck with their relationship. Pantherstorm was dead, and although SorrelEmber was unaware of the monster he had been morphed into, he had still been her brother and not seeing his familiar pelt stung. Many felines had been lost on both sides of the battle but Pantherstorm stuck out the most for this molly, her tongue running rough and harsh strokes over her pelt in irritation.

Although, she was forced to pause on her grooming when Wisteriastar’s voice found its way to her ears, causing them to twitch before she turned her head in her mothers direction. She had been consumed by her thoughts that she had no idea that Wisteriastar was even approaching her. Facial expression Stoney for a moment as she gazed up at her mother, whom was speaking with an authoritative tone as usual. She had noticed that Wisteriastar had lost some of the weight that she had gained over the past moon or so, it wasn’t much and probably wasn’t noticeable to some but it was her mother and she had noticed. Slowly her tongue roamed over her pale ivory lips before her eyes slowly left her mothers face in order to gaze at her own swollen stomach. Slowly she breathed in and out through her nostrils, trying to find the words. “Yes, it would seem that I will be.” She nodded slowly, reminded once more how she would be a single parent, her mate having disappeared.

Her own tail lashed out behind her for a moment when Wisteriastar questioned how she was doing, chin tilting back as she gazed up at her mother. “Is there something I can help you with, Wisteriastar?” She finally questioned, perhaps it was the hormones or perhaps that her patience had finally snapped. Her mother usually never inquired about her health let alone start a conversation with her. “I am irritable. My ankles hurt, I’m fixing to be a single mother and my brother is dead.” She meowed sourly, her ears pinned back for a moment before she looked away from her mother and gave a faint shake of her head, maybe it wasn’t fair of her to give Wisteriastar such a hard time. “How’re you?” She finally meowed, staring out at the fellow warriors that were going out about their business.

Tori
    Participant

Her daughter’s harsh tone stung her, though the only chance of that showing on her expression was the brief narrowing of her eyes before she forced herself to relax. Even if Sorrelember was usually rude to her, Wisteriastar still has not the fondest of the aspect of her own kit despising her. But of course she wasn’t, what mother would be okay with her own daughter hating her? She chose not to dwell on it, though, as she knew well that Sorrelember was likely dealing with pregnancy hormones as well as her grief of losing her brother. It probably had little to do with Wisteriastar herself as much as it did her daughter’s feelings overwhelming her. 

“Is it a crime for a mother to want to check in on her pregnant daughter?” The calico feline replied smoothly, seeming to have brushed off the queen’s irritable response as she chose to sit down comfortably beside her. She listened quietly as Sorrelember continued, voicing her feelings towards raising kits alone and having lost her brother at the same time. The Clan leader nodded as she listened, her orange eyes drifting to her daughter’s face as she spoke. Pity for her held her heart in a vice-grip and she wanted to curse Sootstain, where ever he was, for getting her daughter pregnant and then leaving her to deal with it by herself. “I know that it feels like you’re alone and that you have no one by your side to be there for you when you need them, but that’s not true. Your entire Clan would give their lives to protect you and your kits. And you have me and your other siblings, too.” Wisteriastar paused, her eyes reverting to her paws as Pantherstorm’s loss was again brought up in front of her face. “The whole Clan is grieving, but they weren’t Pantherstorm’s kin. They weren’t his brother, his sister, his mentor or his mother. The grief of losing a kit is a wound so deep that I pray to StarClan you never have to feel it.”

Feared
    Participant

Her ear flicked slightly when Wisteriastar questioned if it was crime for her to check up on her pregnant daughter, sucking on her teeth as she chose to watch her words when it came to Wisteriastar. “I suppose not. But it’s not like you have done so beforehand.” She couldn’t help but mention as her ablaze gaze was watching that of the warriors as they walked throughout the camp. She couldn’t help but wonder if Sootstain would come back to her, or if this had been what he wanted for as long as he could remember, maybe he was feeling alive and enjoying his freedom. Whatever it was… it still didn’t calm the pain within her chest as her eyes kept watching the entrance of the camp day in and day out, waiting for the grey striped pelt of her love and his vibrant yellow eyes to warm her soul. Instead she was alone and was finally in the company of her mother but she just couldn’t find it within herself to rejoice. Wisteriastar was now sitting down beside her as she fought to rein in her emotions, lips parting slowly as she roamed her tongue along her bottom lip to try and still the quiver.

She breathed in deeply and out of her nose, but that still didn’t help the tears that swelled within her eyes as she tried to ignore the fact that her mother was right. She wasn’t alone, her siblings were incredibly caring and sweet when it came to her. Koipetal was constantly fussing over her and bringing her shrimp, while Forestmask seemed to be making his mission to keep a smile on her face. Foxspice was obsessed with helping her come up with names, even though she had no idea what her kittens would like… it was still exciting to think about. They were all wonderful with trying to keep her moral in line. Wisteriastar did have a wonderful point and it caused her give a single dip of her chin. “Just seems like… when things start to get better they only get worse.” She muttered softly, although she took a moment to look at her mother as she spoke of Pantherstorm, pupils narrowing as she could see the grief within her mothers eyes, which surprised her. Growing up, it had always seemed like Wisteriastar had despised her dark furred brother, appearing cold and uncaring when it came to the dappled tomcat. She was sure that Wisteriastar wouldn’t feel much with his passing. Of course for the past few seasons her brother had appeared distant and barely showed emotion when it involved herself or Koipetal.. but he had still been her brother.

She remembered the sweet and caring kit and young apprentice before he began to change, and that memory was still held deeply to her heart. Finally her lower lip began to quiver uncontrollably while her eyes filled to the brim with unshed tears. “I miss him… I know he was odd and he held his emotions deep inside… but I miss him.” She admitted, the tears finally slipping down her cheeks before she looked at her mother. “I pray to StarClan that I never loose a kit while I’m still alive.” She agreed with her mother, watching her for a moment before she sniffled. “I’m sorry that you also have to experience this grief. To be honest it’s nice to see that you cared about him.” She admitted and watched her mothers expression carefully. It was truly refreshing to see that Wisteriastar cared.

Tori
    Participant

The Clan leader watched quietly as her daughter expressed to her the heartache she was suffering, taking in everything she had chosen to confide in her, listening silently to her troubles. Her tail brushed softly against her expectant daughter’s flank in a gesture of compassion, to show her that she was sympathetic and understanding to the conflict in which she was struggling to cope with. But she wouldn’t say anything directly on her mate’s behalf, as she knew that Sorrelember was aware of her distaste for Sootstain as a warrior. Especially now that he had left her daughter alone to experience kitting and motherhood. Instead, the conversation seemed to have drifted off to the topic of Pantherstorm and his recent death and it was a reminder to her yet again of the second kit she had lost in her lifetime. It was honestly hard enough to cope with Marblekit’s death, who had been stillborn in the middle of the war battle, knowing that her existence couldn’t even be shared outside of a small circle of cats. But the knowledge that her own son had caused this war, his paws soaked with the blood of many, who had lived and given his life just for the sake of violence, was another thing entirely. Of course she was grieving, she was suffering more than her Clan would ever know. 

“He was my son.” Wisteriastar stated simply, her orange eyes staring vacantly off to the distance. “Whether he was good or bad, he was still my son.” She wondered for a moment if Sorrelember was even aware of how twisted her brother had become. After all, Pantherstorm had become awfully distant from his littermates and she had been confined to the nursery for the past two moons. Even if Clan gossip were to spread around camp, did anyone truly know what the black tom’s goals were aside from herself, Heronflight and Forestmask? Had any of them told her how far he had gone to get what he wanted? Apart from that, she had to ask herself if it was even her place to tell Sorrelember any of this. As her daughter, and as Pantherstorm’s littermate, she had the right to know. But she also knew that it would likely just upset the expectant queen and she didn’t want to risk her health on behalf of the awful truth of her brother. Wisteriastar was struggling with this decision. Whether she were the one to tell her or whether it was someone else, she didn’t know which would be easiest for Sorrelember to accept. 

Feared
    Participant

Sorrelember ~ RiverClan Queen

Emotions were just spiraling out of control, so near the surface with her pregnancy that she was having a hard time keeping herself under control. Her lower lip was trembling but she refused to crack and break in front of her mother, Wisteriastar seemed so strong and didn’t allow anything to bother her… why should Sorrelember be any different? Clearing her throat, her chin dropped slightly to where she was staring down at the ground as she tried to calm herself down with deep inhales, exhaling slowly as her fiery gaze slowly gazed along the ground. She was a little surprised when she felt the gentle touch of her mother’s tail lightly score along her flank, wordlessly expressing her compassion and gesture of affection. The queens ear twitched slightly as she clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth before her chin lifted as Wisteriastar spoke, pupils narrowing as she focused in on her mother. Wisteriastar was staring off into the distance, the only sign that could be seen that she was grieving the death of her son, but her next words confused the queen.

Whether he was good or bad… Sorrelember found herself blinking slowly as she took in that information. No one really knew what happened at the battle but many had seen how vicious the dappled black Tom had been within battle, some even described his eyes as lifeless but Sorrelember wasn’t sure she could believe them. Her brother had been odd and secluded from Koipetal and herself… but ‘evil’? “I…. see.” Was all Sorrelember could find herself saying, her orange eyes finally studying her mother’s rather seldom expression. “What’s bothering you, Wisteriastar?” Sorrelember finally breathed out the words, chin tilting slightly as she gazed up at the older copy of herself. Her mother seemed deep in thought and also so far away, this was honestly the most they had really spoken but she had always watched her mother from the distance. Perhaps nothing was bothering Wisteriastar, she didn’t exactly know her mother well but it was more of a feeling. “I know Pantherstorm’s death is troublesome. But your mind seems elsewhere.” She explained, her long tail hesitantly touching her mother’s flank.

Tori
    Participant

Her orange eyes snapped right back to her daughter’s face once her inquiry fully registered to her. What’s bothering you? Your mind seems elsewhere… She never would have thought that Sorrelember would have straight out asked her to be open with her, not only that she would be interested in how her mother felt, but that she was saying that she truly seemed to care. It wasn’t like she doubted that her kit cared about her, it was more that she thought her daughter hated her more than she loved her. And when the queen returned her affectionate gesture with her tail grazing her flank, Wisteriastar found herself smiling softly at the molly that so closely resembled her. 

She settled back down, meeting her daughter’s eyes with determination as she told her, “There are a lot of things that I don’t share with you, Sorrelember,” She confessed, “It’s not only my job as a leader to keep the Clan’s problems in the shadows, but it’s my responsibility as your mother to make you feel like the world is safe… Even if it isn’t.” 

The calico warrior paused for a moment and sighed. In that heartbeat, her thoughts raced. Your mind seems elsewhere, repeated to her again. Was she that transparent? It was true that she was grieving, but she was grieving more than just Pantherstorm, she was grieving Marblekit as well– whose death could never be publicly known even to her own littermates. The pain of that tore at her heart much more than her son’s betrayal of his Clan. Then she reminded herself that Sorrelember couldn’t possibly know those circumstances, even if she could tell that there was more to her mother’s pain than Pantherstorm’s death. 

“But I can’t protect you forever. I can’t shield you from the dark truths that life sometimes brings. And the truth is that Pantherstorm betrayed us. He betrayed me, he betrayed you, and he betrayed the whole of RiverClan. He tried to kill Heronflight in the battle with ThunderClan, and then he tried to kill your older brother– Forestmask as well. He had been plotting to uproot RiverClan from the inside for a while, it seems… I didn’t want to face the truth, and it was my stubbornness that brought Wolfstar to declare war against us.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp A word of Wisdom (Wisteria and Sorrel)