A Snowy Day (Vine&Sloe)

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp A Snowy Day (Vine&Sloe)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

The midday sun did nothing to the hardened snow blanketing the ground. It was as cold as last night, making the RiverClan cats stay inside their dens unless told to go on patrol. However, one apprentice stayed in the middle of the clearing, watching her paws sink into the snow with each pawstep, creating indents. Vinepaw’s long, gray fur was tangled in some places due to the combat training she and Creekfrost had during the morning. Her mentor explained the moves well, and she was able to excel in them quite quickly. He gave her the midday off to do whatever she wanted, which suited her just fine.

Unlike her other Clanmates, Vinepaw didn’t let the cold get to her. If anything, she enjoyed leafbare more than greenleaf. The sound of the crunching noise when stepping in snow was satisfying to her, and the willow trees looked glamorous with the white dust clinging on to their branches. Leafbare was magical to Vinepaw. Her sister, however, thought otherwise. I wonder how Burntpaw is doing now…Her honey-colored sister didn’t often take her training seriously, constantly testing her mentor’s patience and willingness. Creekfrost didn’t particularly like to train with Burntpaw and her mentor. 

Inside Vinepaw’s belly, a slow but lasting grumble indicated her hunger, and she shook off the snow on her paws before trudging to the fresh-kill pile. Her head tilted as she studied the prey. Less fish than yesterday. I hope the whole river doesn’t freeze. She snatched one of the fish at the top of the pile, slinking off to a corner of the clearing where the snow was hardest, making it easier to lay on. She placed the fish between her paws and started tearing at it, wrinkling her nose when she bit down on an icy piece of meat. She finally found one thing she didn’t like about leafbare…frozen prey. Trying to ignore it, she continued to take small bites from the fish, taking care not to chew on any of the small bones.

Rookfall
    Participant

Sloepaw – RiverClan Apprentice

Her paws were nearly frozen when she returned to camp. She absolutely loathed border patrols – especially dawn ones. She was shivering from nose to tail-tip and her legs were encased with snow by the time they reached camp. She felt miserable. Border patrols lacked the triumphant charm of hunting patrols. She felt like she earned nothing but a caked pelt rather than returning laden with something that would help RiverClan, like a fish. Or clams. A familiar scent hit her as soon as she crossed the stream to RiverClan’s camp. Her ears pricked and her heart raced excitedly as her eyes searched for Burntpaw, her friend. Sloepaw wondered if she was free to go out again – to do something that mattered! Or maybe they could play on the shore again and search for clams.

Yet, she didn’t see Burntpaw. She did see her littermate, which was why the scent had been familiar but not recognizable. The silhouetted apprentice never spoke to Vinepaw before, but if she was anything like her sister, they would probably get along. Hope guided her paws to the fresh-kill pile, where she plucked a water vole from the bottom. It

“Destiny isn't a path any cat follows blindly. It is always a matter of choice, and sometimes the heart speaks loudest. Listen to your heart, because that's where your true destiny lies.”
    - Leafpool

Rookfall
    Participant

Sloepaw – RiverClan Apprentice

Her paws were nearly frozen when she returned to camp. She absolutely loathed border patrols – especially dawn ones. She was shivering from nose to tail-tip and her legs were encased with snow by the time they reached camp. She felt miserable. Border patrols lacked the triumphant charm of hunting patrols. She felt like she earned nothing but a caked pelt rather than returning laden with something that would help RiverClan, like a fish. Or clams. A familiar scent hit her as soon as she crossed the stream to RiverClan’s camp. Her ears pricked and her heart raced excitedly as her eyes searched for Burntpaw, her friend. Sloepaw wondered if she was free to go out again – to do something that mattered! Or maybe they could play on the shore again and search for clams.

Yet, she didn’t see Burntpaw. She did see her littermate, which was why the scent had been familiar but not recognizable. The silhouetted apprentice never spoke to Vinepaw before, but if she was anything like her sister, they would probably get along. Hope guided her paws to the fresh-kill pile, where she plucked a water vole from the bottom. It was frozen solid and caked with slushy mud, but it was better than nothing. She would save the better pieces for the elders or kits. That’s what warriors did, and she was going to be a great one one day.

Sloepaw bounded to Vinepaw with a skip in her step and plopped before her. Enthusiasm buzzed within her as she settled the vole between her paws, freeing her mouth for speaking. “Hey, Vinepaw!” Sloepaw chirped, as if she had not just gotten back from a draining day. “I just got back from patrol. It’s sooo cold, and I’m SO hungry!” As if to illustrate her point, Sloepaw ripped a large bite from the vole and chewed it. If she held it in her mouth a little before biting down, it almost didn’t crunch as much. Unlike summer prey, the meat from the vole settled cold in her belly. She really couldn’t wait for this Newleaf the elders kept talking about. “What about you? Have you done anything exciting?”

She spoke as if she had known Vinepaw her whole life. She kind of did, at least. Her peer was only a few moons older. They had shared a den for most of their lives. Still, Sloepaw didn’t know her well. She would fix that. Warriors had to know each other, after all, and one day she would fight beside Vinepaw!

“Destiny isn't a path any cat follows blindly. It is always a matter of choice, and sometimes the heart speaks loudest. Listen to your heart, because that's where your true destiny lies.”
    - Leafpool

Wolfstar
    Participant

Vinepaw lowered her head to take another bite when the sound of pawsteps rushing over to her made her stop. She looked up at Sloepaw as the fellow apprentice lay down beside her, her voice chirping away happily like they were longtime friends. The long-furred apprentice tilted her head questioningly at Sloepaw, but didn’t say anything. Instead, she flicked her tail and took another bite as Sloepaw kept talking and Vinepaw’s whiskers twitched with amusement. She remembered Burntpaw telling her Sloepaw was one of her friends, and they got along pretty well. If Burntpaw likes her, then she must be a good friend! And Vinepaw could do with more friends. Creekfrost had told her she needed to converse with the other apprentices more instead of doing training all day every day. 

At Sloepaw’s question, Vinepaw thought about her day. “Well, I just did some training. Oh! Creekfrost taught me a new battle move that works on a fox pretty well. And then I went on a boring border patrol.” Her nose wrinkled. She loathed border patrols. They were just a chore, and nothing exciting happened on them ever. “What about you? What did you do today?” Vinepaw’s green eyes brightened and she finished off the last of the frozen trout. Her stomach didn’t feel all too full, but it was better than going hungry. She pushed aside the bones and kept her eyes on Sloepaw for an answer.

Rookfall
    Participant

Sloepaw – RiverClan Apprentices

Despite her big bites, she ate quite slowly. Her small stomach filled up a lot quicker than a warrior’s, and by the time she was a few mouthfuls in, she felt a heavy feeling in the pit of her belly. It felt like mud was filling her up and weighing her down. She really hated this cold. Sloepaw brightened when Vinepaw mentioned hating border patrols. They had something in common! Great! Her amber eyes lit and her tail lashed with excitement. “I just had to do the border patrol today, but I think I’d rather be dragged all the way to ShadowClan territory by my tail,” she joked. “I don’t know how some warriors do it. Especially every morning! I thought I was going to fall asleep on my paws whenever we stopped to remark the borders. They’re not even interesting. Nothing ever happens on my patrols.” A tiny pout snuck into her voice. She was eternally disappointed that nothing ever exciting happened to her. She just woke up, went to training, and went back to sleep. When was it going to be her turn to be a hero? What did it take to get a fox or something here?

Of course, she would never say that in front of a warrior. They would have her hide for even suggesting that she wanted a bit of danger. Weren’t they ever in her paws? Didn’t they remember what it felt like to be six moons?

“I wish I was out learning fox battling moves. Maybe you can teach it to me sometime?” That day would not be today, but maybe there was something else they could do? “I was actually going to see if there’s any stones or shiny things to collect near the river. There’s got to be something Twolegs dropped somewhere! I like decorating my nest with it. If it’s cool enough, we could show Burntpaw!”

- Leafpool

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp A Snowy Day (Vine&Sloe)