A parting of ways.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Camp ThunderClan Warrior’s Den A parting of ways.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

It was a gorgeous pre-spring afternoon in ThunderClan camp. Though bitter was the cold, the sun burned away the worst of winter’s edge giving way to the hope of newleaf yet to come.

However, it was in the shade that the three ThunderClanners dwelled where normally Warriors might sleep. But it being the afternoon, all nests were vacant giving the opportunity for a discussion of a more private nature.

Reedtail glanced up, breaking the agonizing silence he had been stewing in alongside his mate as their younger daughter padded in, led by their eldest son Rowanclaw, who appeared as though he would rather be anywhere but there.

“Good, you’re both here now.” The patriarch cleared his throat, holding his head up high in that might way as he addressed his progeny. His green eyes scrutinized them in such an objective way, as though he were merely checking out his reflection in the mirror. “Now I know we’ve been mysterious, but these are trying times for ThunderClan. Never know who you can trust.” He growled, shooting a suspicious glare at the shadows of the den. It was like he was expecting Kass to be lurking in them in lieu of having literally anything better to do.

“After much discussion, Cherrypatch and I have decided it is time for our family to leave ThunderClan.” He paused, to let the words take root. “We’ve felt for awhile now that things in this Clan-well they’re going to the dogs, to be frank. Rogues left and right, not even shedding their non-Clan names? Your mother and I conformed, but we can see now these values no longer exist. Our plan is to start anew, far away from here.”

“We know this will be hard, but this is no longer a suitable environment for your kittens.” Cherrypatch demurred. “It is best we get you away from certain….negative influences.” Her pale blue gaze rested chiefly on Chanterellepaw when she spoke.

Roach
    Participant

Chanterellepaw ~Thunderclan Apprentice 

Disbelief was written all over her sharp features. Her mouth parting as she still tries to process her father’s words. Brows furrowing as she glances over at the cold front of her mother to the confused look of Rowanclaw. She couldn’t understand why her parents were suddenly so against the clan life. It’s all that Chanterelle and Rowan have known, how could they try to take that away from them? Scowling as she notices the pointed and suggested glances thrown her way when they mention their dislike to the sudden increase in rogue activity into Thunderclan. Blinking at their bluntness, her cherry brown pelt prickling with anger and frustration as her mind works furiously to figure how to object their decision to make a sturdy point that they would have no choice but to stay with their clan.

Shuffling her paws in a anxious manner, her ears flicking backwards as she glares down at the ground. She wasn’t sure where this sudden courage or was it stupidity was coming from? Usually she would never doubt nor question their reasonings. In the back of her mind she knew it had to do with her growing friendship with a certain brooding dark black tom. He had taught her that her voice was more powerful than obedience. Squaring her shoulders, taking a deep breath before meeting their cold gazes with equal dislike. Making sure she stood tall and proud as she defiantly smirks at them. “I am not going with you both. If you want to run with your tails in between your legs when times get tough; then I don’t want anything to do with you” her voice rang clear through the warriors den. The apprentice turns her nose up at Reedtail and Cherrypatch, not even bothering to glance over at her ‘golden’ brother, who could do nothing wrong in the eyes of their parents.

“I am almost a warrior now. I am fully capable of making my own decisions.” She huffs, now that she was speaking her mind it would seem that her filter no longer worked. Turning away but pausing for a moment, “And for your information I can be friends with whoever I want. You haven’t cared much for me; why start now?” She wondered as she looks over her shoulder, half wanting to hear their response. Yet; another part of her knew that she would not like their answer. Huffing as her fur fluffs up as she rounds on her brother; why stop here? Chanterellepaw has too much to say, moons worth of remaining silent. That was ending today. “You…have you have nothing to say? Or are you just willing to go with whatever they tell you?” She snaps, her usual soft voice cold with a sharp edge. “I am sick and tired of obeying. With trying to please you guys or trying to become better than you.” Shaking her head as her blue gaze flickers to all three felines around her. “I’m done competing and with pleasing. Do whatever you want, but leave me out of it”

Chris
    Participant

Rage flashed behind Reedtail’s olive green irises at Chanterellepaw’s boldfaced defiance of his decision. As though sensing his fury, Cherrypatch shrank ever so slightly, though her face still wore a displeased scowl at her daughter’s petulance.

“You may not be able to see it, as you have not had as much life experience as your mother and I, but we do care. We care about your potential, Chanterellepaw, what you could be. If we were lazy, wanton parents, we might be content to let you despoil your future, but we are not. Hate us for it if you will, immature kits never want to take their medicine.” The tom shook his head with clear disgust.

“And to think, StarClan spared you above all of your littermates for you to repay them so poorly.” His lip curled. “We cannot force you, as Hollystar won’t allow it. So count yourself lucky, if you will, that we can no longer guide your best interests.”

Cherrypatch nodded. “We leave at dawn, if you change your mind, you know where to find us.”

Neither cat commented on her harsh words to her elder brother, if anything Reedtail swelled with pride that his son had not spoken out in such a foolish manner. Though Rowanclaw did not meet his eye. The younger Bengal however flinched significantly at his sister’s words. He was never the most adept at conveying his inner emotion, each syllable cut his heart like claws. His ears lay flat against his skull, confusion and hurt flickering over his regal features like shadows cast by a flame.

“I was going to say whatever happens, we should stick together. That’s…that’s how it’s always been, hasn’t it?” He said, softly

“It can’t stay that way, son. ThunderClan is a lost cause. Beides, your sister is the one choosing to part from us.” Reedtail jerked his head at Chanterellepaw.

“But you guys are the ones deciding to go!” Rowanclaw practically wailed.

“Silence, Rowanclaw.” Hiss Reedtail, and the young tom backed off instantly, like a trained dog. His eyes taking on a distant glazed look at the order, though as his sister moved to leave them he began to panic. Suddenly time slowed down, he was slipping away…He had to act now..

“N-no! I won’t…..” His spotted fur bushed up. “ThunderClan is my home too. I’m sorry. If it is lost, my job is to guide it home again. Running away won’t solve that.”

“Are you calling me a coward?” Reedtail’s hackles raised, and for once Rowanclaw didn’t flinch Though it took all his strength not to.

“No. I’m just saying you might be wrong. If you change your mind, you know where to find us.” He threw his father’s words back at him coolly, though he felt anything but calm when he uttered them. Not sparing his sister so much as a glance, he quickly exited the den while he still held his composure.

Outside, the sun had finally gone down plunging the hollow into a deep purple twilight. The sky overhead was colored like a bruise, and a steady rain misted them slightly whilst thunder grumbled distantly. Rowanclaw sat, letting the water dampen his coat while his sister said whatever else she might need to to their parents. When she appeared he forced himself to look at her.

“I didn’t stay just for ThunderClan, you know.”

Roach
    Participant

Chanterellepaw ~ Thunderclan Apprentice 

Clenching her jaw tightly as she refrains from shrinking under her father’s furious glare. This was the first time she had truly seen him angry, usually it was her mother’s wrath she would face. Turning her wedged cranium towards the side slightly, letting her gaze lower as she truly lets Reedtail’s words sink in. In a way she could see that her parents loved her to their best capabilities, but their way of love was not true. Sure; they wanted what was best for her, but they lost along the way that love and care was what was truly important. Not just her accomplishments. “You care about my potential, but you don’t truly care about me. Just how I make you guys look” she softly replies as she was loosing the burning fire within her. Chant knew that arguing and raising her voice wouldn’t help her or get them to listen to her words. Biting her lower lip as Reedtail throws the fact that she was the only one to survive out of her litter mates. “I think I’ll manage”

Trying her best to remain indifferent over the fact that her parents were leaving Thunderclan for good. Head snapping over in Rowanclaw’s direction as he actually objects to coming along with them. To say she was surprise would be an understatement, ‘this is totally unexpected’ she thought as she remains a silent bystander as Rowanclaw reveals his true feelings on the matter. Chanterellepaw arches a brow at her older brother’s play on words, impressed that he so easily threw Reedtail’s words back at him. “Hmph” she hums as the taller red bengal stalks out with a dramatic flare. An awkward silence filled the air between them, her father’s fur still bristling and her mother’s expression shows utter shock.

“I…” she sighs through her nose before giving them a small smile. “I hope I get to see you both again, and I hope everything works out wherever you end up” she awkwardly says before she too turns and leaves the warriors den. Closing her eyes, shoulders slacking as the tension leaves her form. Enjoying the cold rain drenching her pelt as thunder crashes around them. Ears flicking in Rowan’s direction as he speaks. Furrowing her brows as he vague wording. “What you stayed for me?” She quipped with a click of her tongue as she pads closer to him.

Chris
    Participant

The young dappled Warrior cast his gaze downward as his sister pressed him for the core of what he wished to express. He searched his mind, for all its supposed superiority he always had a hard time conveying what he wished to convey in exact terms. Unless under immense pressure, he floundered.

“You are part of ThunderClan, are you not?” He meowed, peering at her. “I know we’ve never…been close. I was wrong. To push you away. I was just scared of them.” He jerked his head back at the den, indicating their parents.

Roach
    Participant

Quirking an eyebrow upwards as she listens to her older brother fumble with his words. It amuses her to watch him feel and look guilty for all the times he took their parents side, for all the times he blatantly ignored her. Made her feel inferior to him; which in a way she was. The young molly was by no means as skilled nor experienced as the warrior, but she knew damn well that she never deserved such treatment. Now a few moons ago she would have gladly put her feelings to the side and openly forgive Rowanclaw. Yet— Befriending Hawkpaw had made her more vocal with her thoughts, made her more hard headed if you will. Pursing her lips, sighing through her nose. “It’s taken you this long to figure that out?” Chanterellepaw hums as she slowly shakes her cranium side to side.

Settling down near her brother, their pelts glistening in the moon light. Her cherry pelt glowing like rubies, ears flattening against her skull at the continuous rain drenching her small form. “I forgive you..” she mutters as her cyan turquoise blue eyes flicker in his direction. “But I just can’t so easily forget what you did. You or mom and dad” biting her lower lip as she suddenly finds the grass covered in rai drops interesting. “I want to start over…to try to form an actual sibling relationship with you. But it can’t just be one sided!” She adds. Sniffling slightly as she reins in the tears that threatens to fall. Stiffening her posture as she wills her gaze to meet Rowan. “Do you want anything to do with me? Or…are we going to go back to ignoring eachother?” Chant meekly asks. Hoping that her older brother truly wanted to be in her life completely now that their toxic parents would soon be out of the picture.

Chris
    Participant

Rowanclaw’s pelt spiked up as his plea was met with a degree of hostility. He hadn’t been expecting her to retaliate with such boldness, where was it coming from? Probably that rogue. He thought sourly. He did not care for Hawkpaw more than most any cat would. The young black apprentice was rude and difficult. He had no idea why a sweet little cat like his sister would give him a time of day…

Maybe because no one else gave her attention. He thought, glumly, surmising that perhaps he had no right to truly judge. Chanterellepaw was not the failure his parents said she was, so maybe there was more to Hawkpaw as well..

“Do you think it was easy for me?” He snapped, eyes flaring. “The only thing worse than failing to meet their standards was not doing so- they always moved the goal! Always! You have no idea how that feels because they never expected anything of you.” He knew he wasn’t being fair, but having her pass judgement on his world angered him more than he could say. “It’s not like I agreed with what they did to you, but what was I supposed to do? I had no more power than you did.” As he went on his voice broke into a low whimper.

“I’m sorry I….I want us to be something. I don’t know what. I don’t know how normal kin are, but I think if we keep doing what we think is best we’ll get there…right? I think one thing we can agree on is that if we remain strangers, it’s…it’s like they won.”

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Chris.
    Roach
    Participant

As his anger spiked so did hers, blue eyes blazing in fury as he dared try to play victim. “I would have rather you done something than nothing” she hisses, having a hard time keeping her anger down. Her blood was now boiling as he mentions it was hard remaining the perfect golden boy, that he had it just as bad or even worse than she. Nostrils flaring, tail rattling with her emotion. Visibly flinching as he throws in her face that their parents expected nothing from her. Those words stung; it was like a physical blow to her. Clenching her jaw in defiance, not wanting to reveal just how much that affected her.

No matter how much she tried to push this never ending anger away; it wouldn’t budge. All the moons of wanting and silently begging for her brother to show any other emotion but indifference was hitting her all at once. On one paw she was delighted that he indeed wanted to rekindle their sibling relationship, but a nagging voice within kept whispering that it was too late now. No longer able to remain seated, she rises swiftly to her paws. Her form pacing back and forth as her thoughts ran million miles per minute. “Of course it will be like they won, but I can’t help but think that you are always going to look down upon me” she grits out before rolling her eyes and adding; “metaphorically speaking of course” she snorts as physically she was shorter than him, so of course he would have to look down on her.

“I just want a brother that cares and supports me! Not one who looks down on me for my flaws, but maybe helps me with them” she lamely says, a small shrug to her shoulders as she wasn’t sure if it made any sense. “I’m not the same obedient kit that I once was” the bengal she-apprentice mutters. Rain drops clinging to her feathery white whiskers, nose twitching at the feeling of water dripping down the bridge of her pale orange nose and chin. “I want you to stop treating me as such. I want you to act like my brother not a stranger” she frowns as she moves closer to Rowanclaw. “Hi, I’m Chanterellepaw; your sister. I love going hunting, can be considered an control freak. Berries from the berry patch are my favorite. My best friend is Hawkpaw- which I know you dislike. I hate leaf-bare, violence makes me uncomfortable. Squirrels are my favorite to eat. Fish makes me sick” she rambles, thinking of useless things to tell her brother. Hoping to convey to him that she wanted to get to know him and hopefully he will get to know her.

Chris
    Participant

A growl slowly built in his throat, as he felt his words were missing her somehow. He struggled to form a coherent response, fighting the urge to simply blow his top over it all.

“Don’t you get it? I couldn’t do anything. And for the record, I never looked down on you. It was always them, but you just lumped me in with them.” The young Warrior snapped, his voice held low but shakily so. It was c;ear his anger was slowly getting the better of him. He shoo his head to clear it, focusing on her diatribe instead. He’d never know any of these things about her. he’d never know anything at all, really.

He felt annoyed to think that that upstart Hawkpaw knew such secrets. What he had done to deserve her trust?

“My name is Rowanclaw.” He began, now calmer. “And I…..I don’t know who I am. I’m not sure I ever did.” His shoulders sagged like branches beneath many layers of snow. “I’m sorry. I know you want to know me. But I’m not sure there’s a me to know. But if you’ll let me know you, I swear I’ll do my best.”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Camp ThunderClan Warrior’s Den A parting of ways.