A New Warrior: Falconpaw’s Ceremony [OPEN]

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp A New Warrior: Falconpaw’s Ceremony [OPEN]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

W O L F S T A R
    ~WindClan Leader~

It was the headaches. They pierced through his head as sharp as an icicle, stinging until he couldn’t even see anymore. They were getting stronger, and they happened a lot more frequently now. Goldenrose begged him to see Startledcrow, but he wasn’t going to have it. Wolfstar didn’t trust anyone but himself at this point, and the last thing he wanted was an herb to cloud his mind. It’s the stress. It’s just the stress. Today, he had woken up with an immediate headache and he used this day to rest, staying shut inside of his den and curled up in the corner where no light entered through. He felt lucky when he was able to escape the pain by sleeping, but his naps only lasted so long before he woke up from nightmares, hyperventilating until he realized they weren’t real. 

Wolfstar blinked open his eyes from his heather-laced nest and stared at the entrance of his den. No light shone through. It must have been nearly dark. The WindClan leader slowly stood up and yawned, pleased that the majority of his headache had gone away. I guess that was all I needed; a day of rest! Wolfstar smiled to himself and stretched his muscles, grateful the pain ceased for the ceremony he had promised an old apprentice he would hold. Falconpaw was now healed from his injuries, and the time for him to become a warrior was long past. Wolfstar padded out from his den and made his way towards the large rock that formed the medicine cat den. He stared up at the top, heaving out a tired exhale, and pounced. His joints ached, and he grunted from the effort of climbing up, but nevertheless, he made it. Most of their Clanmates were out already, snacking on the last meal of the day or sharing tongues to relax for the night. He suddenly felt guilty that he was holding this ceremony so late in the day, but the migraine was a beast and made it impossible for him to even open his eyes. Wolfstar cleared his throat. “Let all cats old enough to run on the moors, gather beneath the Boulder for a Clan meeting!”

He waited as his Clanmate’s gathered around him, their eyes round and curious, but also nervous. Why were they nervous? Did something happen while he was sleeping? It didn’t take long for him to realize that everyone stared up cautiously at him as if he were going to pounce on each one of them. His pelt ruffled a little self-consciously and he gave his chest a few anxious licks. They’re all probably just worried about me staying in my den all day, but they’ll all feel better tomorrow. Once everyone seemed to be gathered, he began. “I apologize for it being so late, but I promise that it is for a good cause. Falconpaw has waited long enough for his warrior name, and now that he is fully recovered from the battle, it is my honor to make him into a warrior.” His eyes searched the crowd until they fell on the tabby apprentice. “Falconpaw, step forward please.”

snow
    Participant

– h a z e l p a w –
    falconpaw’s warrior ceremony

It had finally begun to cool off, the sun setting over the moor and tinging the grass a pale peach color. The smell of heather and hare mixed in Hazelpaw’s nostrils, making the she-cat flex her claws in anticipation. The apprentice was settled on her haunches on the outskirts of camp, grooming her fur after a day of hunting. She’d just been assigned her new mentor, Whitesnake, after the death of Heathertail. The thought of her mentor’s passing made the young molly’s green eyes cloud with grief momentarily, but she shook it away. The pity stares of her clanmates had been enough, and with the delay of being assigned a new mentor, Hazelpaw had spent a half moon tagging along with the other apprentices. Embarrassment filled up her cheeks as she thought of how lame that must’ve seemed to them, ducking her head slightly as her thoughts began to wander. 

Her thoughts were broken as Wolfstar’s ragged call made the she-cats head jolt up, surprise flickering across her face. She wasn’t deaf to the gossip that spread through the dens at night, knowing her leader had made some questionable decisions and had been acting out of character. She hadn’t really paid attention to it until she had been stuck in camp recently, watching Wolfstar enter his den and come out hours later. Perhaps he’s just feeling ill… she thought lightly, rising to her paws and padding over toward the center of the clearing. Though when she made eye contact with the formidable tom, cold fear hit her veins like ice. He seemed skittish and a bit off, causing the dilute tortie to stare at her paws, spine prickling uncomfortably. It was almost odd hearing the old tom call a clan meeting, especially this late in the day, and when she realized all her clanmates felt the same tension in the air, Hazelpaw could only hope it wasn’t negative.

Upon hearing Falconpaw’s name, her green eyes shot up and filled with excitement, though jealousy did prick her paws a bit. Falconpaw’s getting his warrior name! she thought cheerfully, tail tip twitching eagerly. She only hoped Wolfstar would give him a name worthy of his skills, the tomcat was certainly past due to his warrior ceremony. She met her friend’s gaze, grinning from ear to ear and nodding encouragingly. She knew he didn’t need her assistance, but Hazelpaw couldn’t help herself. Sending a silent prayer to StarClan, the calico hoped Wolfstar’s mind would stay clear for the ceremony, and that Falconpaw’s name wouldn’t reflect their leaders… illness.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by snow.
    Pheebs
    Participant

Falconpaw’s body was drawn tight, apprehension in every corner and crevice of his being. To say the tom was anxious would be an understatement.

Blazing eyes of fiery orange slid across the clearing, catching on soft green orbs. Falconpaw bowed his head once, acknowledging his friend’s encouraging smile with a shy one of his own. Falconpaw and Hazelpaw had “played” together as kits, despite the four moon gap, and their competitive spirits were the stuff of legends. Falconpaw was grateful for her, though, and was relieved to have someone supporting him.

‘My chest hurts…’ The grey tabby thought idly, stepping forward. ‘Scarletflood’s going to pay for that, too.’ With each paw placed before him, the Windclan apprentice felt another stab of irritation dig into his pelt. ‘Shadowclan’s a bunch of no-good, rotten skunks, and I’m never going to let them mess with myself or my clan again.’

Outwardly, Falconpaw appeared as calm and stoic as he often did, with the vaguest hint of a charming smile curling his lips. He came to a halt before the Boulder, glancing at Brookflower, his mentor, and offering a nervous twitch of his whiskers. ‘You’ve been waiting over a moon for this- you’re thirteen moons and you deserve your name.’ He was so caught up in his thoughts that Falconpaw hardly stopped to wonder on the strange light in his leader’s eyes. He seemed oblivious to the shift in Wolfstar’s character, his attention focused on the pain and anger that sat, lying in wait from beneath the surface of Falcon’s smile.

Wolfstar
    Participant

W O L F S T A R
    ~WindClan Leader~

Wolfstar watched his daughter, Brookflower, pad towards Falconpaw once he was seated beneath the announcement boulder, her yellow eyes brimming with joy and pride. He knew his daughter had been worried that Falconpaw wouldn’t have lived to become a warrior after the battle with the Clan’s, but now the young tom was stronger than ever. Wolfstar looked down at Falconpaw, tilting his head as he calculated what was going on in his young mind. He seemed to be smiling, but there was still a deeper pain and heartache in his gaze that Wolfstar was curious by. Was he still upset about the battle? I’ll have to speak with him on what it means to battle the Clan’s. It’s the way of our life. However, this was not the time, and it was getting darker already. “I, Wolfstar, leader of WindClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as a warrior in turn.” The traditional words flowed easily from Wolfstar’s mouth. “Falconpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?” 

He waited for Falconpaw’s answer, tail tip twitching happily when he agreed. “Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Falconpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Falconscar. I urge you to never forget your bravery and courage from the scars you now bear, and to feel proud that you fought so hard for your Clan. WindClan needs warriors like you, and we welcome you as a full warrior of WindClan. Falconscar!” 

Brookflower stood up from her sitting position and lifted her muzzle in the air. “Falconscar!” She yowled loudly, finding the name a handsome fit for the tom. “Falconscar! Falconscar!” Wolfstar smiled when the whole Clan joined in, and he jumped down from the boulder, padding towards the new warrior. “Now you must guard our camp for the night in vigil.” He dipped his head and turned away to pad back to his own den. Brookflower stayed by Falconscar’s side and touched his muzzle with her own. “I’m proud of you, Falconscar,” she meowed. “You deserve it. Now go make sure I don’t get ambushed by foxes during the night or something.” Her eyes lit up with amusement and she brushed against his side before heading to the warrior’s den to sleep.

Pheebs
    Participant

Falconpaw tilted his head in greeting, smiling at his mentor. Brookflower had been patient and kind in her teachings, but he couldn’t help but feel remorse. He should’ve fought better, proven how good an apprentice she’d been given. Falconpaw felt that debt weigh on him, the briefest hints of a frown puckering his lips. Wolfstar’s next words, however, drew the tom’s attention away from his thoughts.

The fierce apprentice snorted, grinning widely. “Of course!” Falconpaw couldn’t imagine not vowing his life to Windclan. The brutal beatings he’d received for his clan were proof of that, and the relentless itch in his paws to win back his and his clan’s honor from Shadowclan was a constant stab to the gut.

Falconscar. The new warrior waited for bitterness or disgust to rear its head, but all he felt was acceptance. It made sense that his name would reflect the wounds that now covered his body. Falconscar.

The tabby warrior turned to face Brookflower, resisting his urge to counter her words. He didn’t deserve his warrior name until he’d repaid Scarletflood in full, but Falconscar didn’t say that. Instead, he bowed respectfully and touched noses with his (former) mentor. 

I am Falconscar of Windclan, and you’re going to regret messing with me, Scarletflood. 

snow
    Participant

– h a z e l p a w-
    falconpaw’s warrior ceremony

Sitting silently towards the edge of the crowd, the young molly looked up expectantly at Wolfstar, his powerful voice echoing around the clearing with an authoritative tone. He almost appeared young and strong, his head held high as he easily recited the ceremonious phrase, eyes appearing clear for the first time in a while. It almost scared Hazelpaw how quickly he seemed to change between the two personalities. The distrust was clear on his features, but at this moment things almost seemed normal… almost. 

When the ceremony ended, Hazelpaw made sure she was one of the first to chant her friend’s new name: Falconscar. How fitting for the fiery tomcat. It was clear by the gleam in his eyes that her former denmate was happy at his warrior name. A pang of sadness hit the diluted tortoiseshell momentarily, realizing the two would no longer share a den or have hunting contests. He would eat with the warriors and she would continue her apprentice duties such as caring for the elders. It was bittersweet, seeing her friend flourish and move on.

Forcing a purr, she pressed up against him as Brookflower moved away, green eyes glittering. “Falconscar!” she purred happily, tail lashing back and forth. “Only one letter from Falconstar,” she teased lightly, before a somber light hit her eyes. “Just don’t forget about me now that you’re a warrior, ok?” she mewed, her voice cracking a bit. She moved away, not giving him a chance to answer due to him sitting vigil that night. Hazelpaw had a difficult time holding relationships, her own mentor passing a half-moon ago and now her closest ally in WindClan seemed to be farther than ever. Not wanting to let anyone see her emotions, Hazelpaw swiveled on her heels and retreated to the apprentice’s den, her tail twitching lightly as she disappeared into the darkness.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp A New Warrior: Falconpaw’s Ceremony [OPEN]