- This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
October 29, 2019 at 6:59 pm #3500JetstreamParticipant
A Clan Meeting
To begin the meeting, the leader climbs to a high place where all cats gathered below can see and hear them well. They open the meeting with the words “Let all cats old enough to (___) gather here beneath the (___) for a Clan meeting!“
“Let all cats old enough to swim gather here beneath the Outcrop for a Clan meeting!“
“Let all cats old enough to run gather here beneath the Overhang for a Clan meeting!“
“Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the Divot for a Clan meeting!“
“Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the Tall Tree for a Clan meeting!“
“Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the Large Log for a Clan meeting!“
- The new leader goes to the Mooncave with the Clan’s medicine cat. After touching the stone, the new leader cannot move for a short period of time. Upon awakening, cats of StarClan appear. Nine cats, normally ones who were significant during the new leader’s life or the Clan’s history, although this is not always the case, give them their nine lives with these words:
- “Life giver: (Touches nose to the top of the new leader’s head) With this life, I give you (–). Use it well/and or to serve your Clan.“
- When all of the lives have been given, normally the previous leader says these words:
- “Previous leader: I will now give you your new name, (original prefix)star. Your old life is no more. You have now received the nine lives of a leader, and StarClan grants you the guardianship of (the Clan they lead). Defend it well, honor your ancestors and the traditions of the warrior code; live each life with pride and dignity.“
Then, the leader is coronated for their new title, usually by the previous leader. However, sometimes, it is the cat most significant to the leader’s life.
A deputy ceremony is when a Clan leader names the Clan’s new deputy. This happens when the previous deputy dies, retires, or is exiled. According to the warrior code, a new deputy must be appointed before moonhigh that day. Otherwise, it is usually seen as a bad omen.
The leader calls a Clan meeting, and performs the ceremony by announcing these words:
- “Leader: I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirits of our warrior ancestors (or former deputy name) may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of (Clan) is (warrior’s name).“
Medicine Cat Ceremony
This is a ceremony that occurs when a Medicine Cat believes that their apprentice has earned their full name due to the hard work put in to help their Clan.
This is the only ceremony that is not performed by a Leader and is done at the Mooncave, at the half moon, in the presence of Medicine Cats from all Clans.
- “Medicine Cat: I, (name), medicine cat of ___Clan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. (they) has trained hard to understand the ways of a medicine cat, and with your help (they) will serve (their) Clan for many moons.
- Medicine Cat: ___paw, do you promise to uphold the ways of a medicine cat, to stand apart from rivalry between Clan and Clan and to protect all cats equally, even at the cost of your life?
- Apprentice: I do.
- Medicine Cat: Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your true name as a medicine cat. ___paw, from this moment you will be known as (new name). StarClan honors your (virtues), and we welcome you as a full medicine cat of (Clan).“
The medicine cat rests their muzzle on the apprentice’s head, and they lick the mentor’s shoulder. The other medicine cats greet them by their new name.
Once a mentor is satisfied with their apprentice’s progress and skills, they recommend them to the leader of the Clan. Then, the apprentice must pass an assessment, in which their abilities as a warrior are checked. In cases when the apprentice has just made an important contribution to the Clan, the leader may decide that there is no need for an assessment.
If the Clan Leader is satisfied, they call a Clan meeting and call the apprentice forward. The following words are used, by tradition:
- “Leader: I, (Leader), leader of (Clan), call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as a warrior in their turn.
- Leader: (Apprentice), do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?
- Apprentice: I do.
- Leader: Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. (Apprentice), from this moment on you will be known as (new warrior name). StarClan honors your (virtues), and we welcome you as a full warrior of (Clan).
The leader rests their muzzle on the apprentice’s head, and the former apprentice licks the leader’s shoulder. The rest of the Clan then greets the new warrior by calling them by their new name.
When a kit reaches six moons, the Clan leader calls a Clan meeting to appoint them as an apprentice and assign a mentor to them. The following words are used, by tradition:
- “Leader: (Kit), you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as (new name, ending with “paw”). Your mentor will be (name of warrior or medicine cat). I hope (name of warrior or medicine cat) will pass down all he/she knows on to you.
The leader calls up the warrior he/she has chosen as a mentor.
- Leader: (Warrior), you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from (former mentor), and you have shown yourself to be (quality) and (quality). You will be the mentor of (apprentice), and I expect you to pass on all you know to (apprentice).“
The mentor touches noses with the apprentice, and the Clan greets the new apprentice by calling out their name. After this, the apprentice will usually go see their mentor.
A ceremony is performed when a cat feels as if they cannot serve their Clan anymore, whether it’s through aging, illness, or injury.
- “Leader: (Warrior/queen/medicine cat), is it your wish to give up the name of a warrior and go to join the elders?
- Warrior/queen/medicine cat: It is.
- Leader: Your Clan honors you and all the service you have given to us. I call upon StarClan to give you many moons of rest.“
The Clan will call out the retired warrior’s name and then they will go to the elder’s den.
Name Changing Ceremony
Occasionally, there are circumstances in which a cat’s current name no longer fits their appearance or status in the clan. In such cases, this ceremony is performed.
The leader calls a Clan meeting, and performs the change with the following words:
“Leader: Spirits of StarClan, you know every cat by name. I ask you now to take away the name from the cat you see before you, for it no longer stands for what he/she is. By my authority as Clan leader, and with the approval of our warrior ancestors, I give this cat a new name. From this moment on he/she will be known as (new name), for (description of the reason).”
The topic ‘A Guide to Ceremonies’ is closed to new replies.