A Day for Training [Wolf&Thistle]

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory Rolling Moors A Day for Training [Wolf&Thistle]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

The morning dew still clung to the brown grasses of the rolling moors, making each pawstep cold and wet. Even with the large storm passed, the air still held moisture and chilly humidity. The signs of leaf-fall were noticeable to Wolfstar. Leaves turned orange and brown on the few trees WindClan had in their territories, and the heather bushes no longer bloomed the purple flowers that littered the floor every Greenleaf. They were in mid leaf-fall, yet the leader could smell leafbare inching closer and faster, and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up with unease. The Clans already went through a huge crisis with the storm, what more could be in store for them?

The large gray and white tom looked behind him at his apprentice to make sure he was following. Now that their temporary camp was created, he was able to take a patrol around the area to figure out a new permanent camp. However, he decided his Clanmates needed two sunrises of rest and stability before he moved them again, wanting the ill and injured to heal as well. Now was the perfect time for a training session. Thistlepaw was almost as tall as Wolfstar, standing just above shoulder length. Unlike his leader, the dark brown tabby had a leaner build that fit the description of a WindClanner. Wolfstar was impressed with Thistlepaw’s hunting and running form, glad to have another great hunter in their midst. “Okay, we’ll stop here,” he instructed, erecting his tail as a signal to halt. They stood at the top of a hill. 

Clouds hovered above them, hiding the sun and keeping it away from sight. Fortunately, the sun’s rays shone through the graying clouds to make sure it kept the Clan’s away from complete darkness. “Listen,” he meowed, lifting his head up and closing his blue eyes. Wolfstar’s whiskers pressed forward to catch every scent the wind carried. “Complete silence. I believe the prey is hiding away from this awful weather as well.” He let out an irritable sigh. “Let’s sit here and talk for a moment before we begin.” 

Wolfstar lowered his haunches and sat firmly on the ground beneath them. He loved the feeling of the wind buffeting their fur and wrapping around them. Living underneath the canopy of the ThunderClan forest for almost a moon was disheartening to the tom. He couldn’t understand how the ThunderClan cat’s didn’t crave the wind and open air, and the immediate sight of StarClan above them. Wolfstar guessed this was why WindClan was more spiritual than all the other’s. He swiveled his head to face Thistlepaw’s direction. “What is the tenth code in the Warrior Code, and why is it on there to begin with?” he tested Thistlepaw, looking at him expectantly. Knowing the Warrior Code through and through would ingrain it in Thistlepaw’s mind, which was what Wolfstar wanted. The young tabby had a problem with doing whatever he wanted as a younger apprentice, but he was a lot more honorable now.

Manna Moth
    Participant

Thistlepaw was grateful for the short break Wolfstar had given them. It gave him time to sit and take in the moor for a moment. Living in Thunderclan had made him feel so trapped and enclosed, he was glad to have the gentle breeze running through his fur again. The young tom’s ears pricked at Wolfstar’s question and he turned to face his mentor. “A gathering between the four clans is to be held every full moon. During this time there is to be peace, any fighting will be punsihed.” He answered immediately. At least I hope that’s what is is. He remembered the warrior code and it’s principles, just not always in order.

Wolfstar
    Participant

After Thistlepaw’s answer, Wolfstar nodded his head. “Correct. The moon is brightest when it’s full. Therefore, it’s the perfect time to have a Gathering. This code has been broken several times…Including by me when I was an apprentice.” His whiskers twitched with amusement. “My warrior ceremony was held back for one whole moon because of it.” The WindClan leader couldn’t imagine behaving the way he used to behave now. The night he attacked Scorpionstrike at a Gathering defined his personality and made him realize what kind of warrior he wanted to be. 

The Warrior Code is more important than anything. They might seem like small rules, but the reasoning’s behind them are extremely significant. Such as, a kit doesn’t have the mental capability to learn and be respectful until they’re six moons, and the word of the Clan leader is the warrior code because if the Clan’s had no leader then they would be lost. With every decision you make, you need to go over the Warrior Code and decide whether what you’re doing is ethical or not.” Wolfstar narrowed his eyes with curiosity as he searched Thistlepaw’s expression. “I can tell you’re going to be one of our strongest warriors, Thistlepaw. I even think you have the means to become a great leader.” He wondered if becoming leader was one of his apprentice’s goals. It never was for Wolfstar, but StarClan chose him when their former leader became a rogue, and her former deputy was thought to be dead. 

Clearing his throat, Wolfstar continued. “While following the Warrior Code is important, sometimes you might have to break them in order to do the right thing. For example, imagine a leader who tells their warriors to kill one of their elders. In the Warrior Code it says they must obey since their word is law, but it doesn’t mean it’s right. That leader would have to be challenged have StarClan judge their actions. Does this all make sense? I don’t mean to sound contradictory, but I need you to understand the difference between following the rules, and being a blind follower. Never be a blind follower.” He hoped Thistlepaw was understanding what he was saying, looking into his eyes with expectation. “Now that we have that out of the way, let’s do some training. The Overgrown Log is still a little flooded from the storm and I don’t feel like getting my long fur tangled with mud. On the bottom of this hill is a flat area where we can do some more combat training. Are you ready?” Wolfstar stood up and shook out his pelt, heading down the hill without waiting for an answer.

Manna Moth
    Participant

A leader? Thistlepaw’s eyes widened with surprise at Wolfstar’s praise. I’m not sure I could be, at the very least I didn’t plan on it. I’ll be content once I’m a warrior he thought. Besides, he’d rather not think of something happening to Wolfstar and Owlbelly. At the mention of battle training his ears pricked and he gave a small purr. It’d been a while since he’d had battle training; even longer since he’d trained with his mentor. His last session in combat had been with Tinyflame as his temporary mentor and he was determined to show Wolfstar how much he’d improved. He hurried down the hill to the patch of grass his mentor was waiting for him on. “How are we starting?” He asked excitedly, whipping around to give the Windclan leader his full attention.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Once Wolfstar and Thistlepaw were at the bottom of the hill, the WindClan leader cleared his throat and turned to his apprentice. “I had Tinyflame catch me up on the training I missed from when I was sick. She told me you learned some new moves from her, so I will be seeing what you learned. After that, I want to show you some more advanced techniques now that you’re taller and more skilled.” When apprentices first started to learn battle moves, they were simple techniques that helped someone small during a fight. However, as apprentices got older, it was required to teach them new and improved battle techniques fit for their height and weight.

Stepping away from Thistlepaw, Wolfstar lashed his tail with readiness. “Alright. Show me what you got. Attack me with what Tinyflame taught you.”

Manna Moth
    Participant

At Wolfstar’s command he readied himself into a battle crouch, tail lashing in anticipation. He’s still bigger than me so facing him head on won’t work just yet. With that thought in mind he charged towards Wolfstar at top speed hoping to look like he was coming in to bowl him over. Once he saw his mentor brace himself he leaped and sailed over the Windclan leader quickly before whipping around to trip his mentor’s back legs out from under him. The surprise that was on his mentor’s face lasted only a second as he instinctively rolled and was back up on his feet in a few moments. Thistlepaw quickly drew back and braced himself for Wolfstar’s counter attack, watching alertly for an opening.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wolfstar was impressed Thistlepaw jumped over him instead of facing him head on, glad to see his apprentice was smart and tactical. The WindClan leader wasn’t ready for his legs being tripped, and he rolled onto the ground, but only to get right back up again. He faced Thistlepaw quickly, pouncing to bowl him over. His paws pressed to Thistlepaw’s sides and forced him to the ground, pinning his shoulders to the moor floor. He stayed on Thistlepaw’s side, however, so the brown tabby wouldn’t be able to rake his belly with his hind paws. Throughout this entire session, Wolfstar’s claws were sheathed so as not to injure the young tom. “Good!” he exclaimed, stepping back from Thistlepaw so he could get up.

Shaking out his coat, his blue eyes gleamed with pride. “I’m impressed at your thinking. Now, I want you to try what I did to you. Even though I’m bigger than you, you can still knock me over if you use enough force from your back legs. Use up energy to pounce and then push right here-” Wolfstar’s tail tapped right above his own shoulder to show Thistlepaw where to hit. “The force should knock me to my side. Don’t get directly on top of me in case I use my hind legs to scratch at your belly. I want you to figure out your own way to keep me pinned and injure me.” Wolfstar then puffed up his fur to look menacing, pulling his lips up into a snarl. “Attack me.”

Manna Moth
    Participant

Panting he listened to Wolfstar’s instructions before flicking his ears to show he had heard. Narrowing his eyes he settled into a crouch then darted forward to attack his mentor on the shoulder.  The force sent them both tumbling over and Thistlepaw fastened his grip on the Windclan leader to send him rolling over another half rotation so that he was belly down in the sand. With a grunt of effort he pinned the leader’s shoulders down and kept his paws in place, lightly biting into his scruff for good measure. Satisfied this would hold he loosened his grip and backed away panting, allowing Wolfstar to get up. “Was that okay?” He asked between breaths.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory Rolling Moors A Day for Training [Wolf&Thistle]