Wondering Minds [OPEN]

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp Wondering Minds [OPEN]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nettlenose
    Participant

Hot. Today was a hot one. The sun seemed to be doing its best to begin baking the earth, outstretching its rays in a greedy desire to warm up whatever it could touch. Twistedbranch, his tabby pelt feeling a bit antsy in the sun’s warm grasp, had moved to some shade, him amber eyes shuffling around to see how the day was starting off.

The warrior was using this time to mentally plan out some training routines for Honeypaw. He wanted to work on both hunting and fighting with his new apprentice, but needed to think about what they needed the most work in, and what he could do to help strengthen the areas that were lacking. The tom’s gaze met the fresh-kill pile, a sigh rolling off his tongue as he noticed it was rather low. They needed to do some more hunting it seemed, which he would happily accompany, though he could indeed be rather heavy on his paws and wasn’t always the greatest hunter. His final blow was usually where his credibility came from, but the stealth part was a technique he himself needed improvement on.

Giving his short-furred pelt a shake to remove some dirt, he went back to his thoughts, ears or tail giving the occasional thoughtful twitch as he also kept an eye out for a patrol.

Jetstream
    Participant

Wisteriaflower was just returning back to camp from an early day border patrol. The calico feline nodded to the respective warriors she had taken with her as they parted from her company upon entering camp grounds. She gave herself a quick stretch and then decided that it was time for a break– she had been out all morning, after all. And she hadn’t the chance to eat before she left for the dawn patrol.

The Newleaf heat was surely getting to the RiverClan cats, she noted to herself as she approached the fresh-kill pile. Most of her Clanmates were not out in the open, sunning themselves on the rocks in camp grounds. Instead, it seemed like they were all hidden away in their dens, where there was shade. Of course, Wisteriaflower being thick-furred herself, she was not the biggest fan of the hot weather. However, the Clan had duties that needed to be performed daily, and she was the one who had to carry them out, whether it was hot or cold outside.

When she was upon the pile of prey, she noticed Twistedbranch’s eyes land in her direction. He was probably noting how small the pile was and that they would need to replenish stock soon. Wisteriaflower’s fluffy tail flicked in the direction of the RiverClan warrior, motioning for him to join her while she picked a trout out of the prey and crouched down to eat.

Nettlenose
    Participant

As Twistedbranch’s amber gaze rested on the fresh-kill pile, he noticed Wisteriaflower there, and her motioning for him to come over towards her. The tom rose on muscular legs, and trotted over towards the deputy, dipping his head to her as he drew near. “Wisteriaflower,” The tabby warrior greeted in a friendly tone, his pelt shining a golden color as he stepped into the sun.

How was this morning’s patrol? I’m hoping to join the next one.” He said, letting his gaze fall down towards the pile he now stood before. Seeing as it was dwindling, and he wasn’t sure who hadn’t eaten yet, he decided he would have his meal sometime later today after he went out for a hunt perhaps. “Perhaps I’ll take Honeypaw out for some hunting practice later today…

Anonymous

Fallowcreek raised his head upon seeing Wisteriaflower, tail flicking once before the silver-cinnamon tom stood and approached the deputy. Standing a little ways behind Twistedbranch, arriving just in time to hear the warrior’s words, the shorthaired tom smiled and chimed in. “Yes, I’d love to join the next patrol as well.” Life was becoming rather slow for the tom and while he wasn’t the adventurous sort by any means, he did enjoy a bit of hunting when the days began to get too monotonous.

“How is Honeypaw?” Fallow asked pleasantly, shifting his attention to the tabby. Fallowcreek found his awkwardness comforting, as it reminded Fallowcreek of his own general quietness. “And how are your kits?” The tom added, glancing back at Wisteriaflower, his entire demeanor pleasant though his question was tinged with bitterness. His own kits had all died at birth, leaving the tom missing a large part of himself, especially after his mate had left him.

Jetstream
    Participant

As she crouched to the softened ground of the camp floor and bit into the kill she had chosen from their sparse pile, Wisteriaflower nodded to the warrior’s suggestion. She swallowed her mouthful before she replied, “Yes, another hunting patrol would be a good idea. I suppose for now, I’ll have to send out twice the amount as normal until our resources replenish themselves.” She acknowledged Fallowcreek’s approach with an affirmative flick of her tail. “Thank you for offering. You two and Honeypaw can go out for another hunting patrol whenever your ready. Try to catch something other than fish, we don’t want to be too reliant on just one prey.”

At Fallowcreek’s next question, Wisteriaflower felt a pang of pity for the warrior. Knowledge of what he had endured was not lost on their Clanmates or on the deputy. She bowed her head briefly to the tom, a show of her sympathy before she answered, “They’re coming along well. Though, they got in serious trouble on their first night as apprentices– trying to sneak out to the rapids at night. They’re lucky that Rainstar is a very fair leader, or their punishment would have been more severe.” 

Anonymous

Fallowcreek cringed, “The rain has been becoming pretty scarce, huh?” Frowning, the tabby glanced over at Twistedbranch and then back to the deputy, “Do you think we’ll fall into another drought?” Wouldn’t that be a way to end greenleaf, starving from lack of fish. Which was a depressing thought, so he backpedaled into safer territory.

“That’s a good idea,” Fallowcreek purred, as pleasant as ever despite his thoughts on a possible drought chewing at him. The tom tipped his head to acknowledge the deputy as she spoke about her kits, and laughed when he heard about their adventure. “Well, haven’t all of us done something foolish when we were young?”

Humming to himself, the tom flicked through his memories and chuckled, “I tried to fight an older warrior to prove to the other apprentices I was a fantastic fighter… I nearly broke my neck…” Fallow paused, hoping to add dramatic flare as he continued with, “…tripping over my own paws.”

Nettlenose
    Participant

Twistedbranch dipped his head to Fallowcreek, cordial, and listened as they spoke about plans for hunting patrols. “Honeypaw is doing quite well!” He chimed. “We haven’t gotten to do as much training as I would like yet, but I’m going to take you up on that suggestion and take her out for some hunting later.” The warrior said, thinking that was a good opportunity to both replenish some of the fresh-kill pile and improve his apprentice’s skills.

As Fallowcreek mentioned the heat and the drought problems towards their prey, he sighed a little, glancing up to where the sun blared above. That was always the difficult part of this hot season, the consequences it could have on their food source. “It’s hard to say for certain if a drought will trouble us or not, but I hope the waters stay full.” He mumbled.

I’m glad the apprentices returned safe from their little trip out.The tom said, frowning a little as he recalled the bunch that had snuck out into the night. Hollowpaw had even fallen in! “We could have suffered a great loss there. I think they’ve learned their lesson though.”

Jetstream
    Participant

Fallowcreek’s comment about the lack of rain and the water levels of the river sent a feeling akin to panic abruptly coursing through the deputy’s veins, though her expression remained a mask of calm. I hadn’t been concerned about the river at all this Greenleaf, she thought to herself, perhaps I should send a patrol out to check it later. However, her face quickly turned amused at the warrior’s share of his early experience as an apprentice. “Well, it’s a good thing that you weren’t seriously hurt, RiverClan needs all of its warriors strong.” Her ember eyes turned to Twistedbranch as she nodded in acknowledgement to his apprentice’s progression. “I’m glad she’s coming along well.” She licked her lips of her meal and drew her tongue over her paw as she groomed her face. “Rainstar did well to choose you as her mentor.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp Wondering Minds [OPEN]