Useful or Useless?

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp Useful or Useless?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Feared
    Participant

Goosefur ~ RiverClan Warrior

Sage green eyes were bored-ly gazing around the camp, pupils narrowed slightly. However he was anything from bored and rather concerned, he had taken part of the battle but he was unsure if Sharkpaw had been part of the battle. One thing was for sure that he had noticed Sharkpaw’s mentor had been present, her white pelt was an easy marker. Whats her name? He wondered silently, ear twitching slightly for a moment as he tried to concentrate. The back of his head was stinging slightly from the thin claw marks he had received from a tall but slender WindClan male, although Goosefur had given the other Tom a good bite to his forepaw. Smirking at the thought of the Tom limping around this morning, while he had a mere claw swipe to the back of his head. However, while he was briefly stuck in his own thoughts he just so happened to spot the pale pelt belonging to Swanpath. Grunting, the large tomcat propelled himself from his sitting position to where he was now stalking towards the she-cat. His long furred coat was sleeked back as it was always well groomed, his father believed in having a clean appearance and holding yourself with pride. Despite the fact that Stonefall was no longer on this earth, he still found himself following most of the protocols… hard to forget when it was beaten into you. White whiskers pulled back as he finally walked up to the she-cat.

“Have you seen my useless little brother around?” Goosefur decided not to greet her, he really didn’t see the point. Although he did care about Sharkpaw, he had a funny way of showing it, since he hardly ever showed compassion. And truly the other only sibling he cared for was Redflower and it wasn’t much different from how he usually acted. The three toned male noticed that one of her eyes was almost completely swollen shut, but he didn’t care. Clearly she wasn’t careful enough. He kept himself from grinning, while he also allowed himself to gaze around as if he truly wasn’t interested. Although he licked his dry lips and looked back down at the she-cat, arching a single brow. “Perhaps you can’t really see if Sharkpaw has been around.” He smirked, but found himself irritated as he looked around the camp once more, searching for the familiar silver-grey hues that marked their particular bloodline.

Pheebs
    Participant

Swanpath growled, frustrated with her impaired vision. Her eye had swollen up and the fresh scar stretching from her jaw and up near her forehead was scabbing uncomfortably and the other few scratches she’d received certainly didn’t help with her discomfort. Swanpath was by no means a vain cat but even she knew the scars that littered her face were ugly. The recent one crossing over her eye left Swan slightly self conscious, because she knew how horrible it looked, especially with her eye swollen shut. 

“Have you seen my useless little brother around?” Swanpath’s ears pricked, green and gold eyes flicking over to eye the tom. She instinctively took a step back, willing her fur to lie flat. The tom’s next words drew out a small snarl from the warrior, but at least she finally remembered who this warrior was.

“You must be Goosefur,” Swan’s voice dripped with disdain, muzzle wrinkled with the hints of another snarl. “I could tell from the pelt and the fact that you decided to forego politeness. You must think yourself clever to insult my injury, truly, a low blow.” ‘But what can I expect from one of Stonefall’s kits.’ The creamy white molly straightened her stance, slowly approaching the other warrior and circling him once before sitting down in front of him.

“Moving past the topic of your distasteful lack of manners, why in Starclan’s name would I tell you where Sharkpaw is?” Swanpath asked, steadying Goosefur with a signature glare. “I doubt you have a caring bone in your body, Goosefur.” Which, okay, perhaps she was being harsh… But Swanpath wasn’t a faultless being and if she felt the need to establish her own protectiveness for her apprentice with a rude remark she wouldn’t be apologizing. Sharkpaw was an anxious little tom and Swan couldn’t keep her own maternal side from going a bit over protective for the silver apprentice.

Feared
    Participant

Goosefur wasn’t surprised with the anger that he was met with as Swanpath snarled faintly and looked up at him with her single good eye with a look that reminded him of distain. He of course was used to getting such expressions, he was one of Stonefall’s children. Emotions were usually beaten from them as young apprentice’s, but some habits were hard to break and his worry for Sharkpaw was certainly strong, although he tried to push it to the back of his mind. “Oh, how lovely, you know my name.” He sneered softly, but ignored the jab of her pointing out that he insulted her injuries, but he could really care less. His mind was focused on Sharkpaw and if he was hurting this she-cats feelings… then was he really any better than Stonefall? His tongue clicked against the roof of his mouth as his sage green eyes flickered once more towards Swanpath as she gathered his attention. As Swanpath circled him, his ears stood upright in order to track her movements but he forced himself to relax but he was instantly reminded of how Stonefall and Blossomfire would do the same whenever he was insubordinate.

Finally the white furred molly cake back into view as she sat down, she was obviously protective of his littler brother and whether she knew it or not… Sharkpaw was so lucky. Perhaps if his own mentor had cared so much then maybe… just maybe he would have been protected from his own father. However, he blinked himself out of his thoughts when Swanpath accused him of not having a single caring bone in his body, his own body going rigid as he found her remark to be… inspiring. He was still able to appear cold and uncaring, but… maybe that wasn’t the complete case. He was here asking about Sharkpaw? Slowly he smirked and slowly breathed in before he breathed out of his mouth and spoke. “Simmer down, Swanpath. Was Sharkpaw at the battle or not?” He questioned, his tone rather flat but it was the best he could do without sounding aggressive. “He isn’t the best at conflict. So I figured you out of everyone here..” He paused and took a moment to slowly look around camp before his green eyes landed in Swanpath and narrowed. “You would be my best bet.” He finally meowed and slowly stood up and took a little step forward. “Is my little brother, okay?” Goosefur was done playing around her feelings, his expression appeared cold and unmoved but his eyes were shimmering with worry.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Feared.
    Pheebs
    Participant

“No, of course he wasn’t.” Swanpath would’ve allowed the tom to come to any other battle, but knowing that tensions were high had set her on edge and she knew that any battle could become… messy. She didn’t want Sharkpaw in a compromising situation, not when he had so little confidence. She wanted to see Sharkpaw mature in his self-assurance before testing his skills in real situations, fearing that a failure would send Shark spiraling into a cycle of self-hate or embarrassment, or something equally damaging.

“Is my little brother okay?” ‘Little brother’? Swanpath’s head tilted to the side as she studiously ignored Goosefur’s question. ‘Little brother’… Goosefur could’ve said anything other than that, but he’d chosen those words. Interesting. The white-furred warrior shifted back, re-establishing a solid distance from the large tom. “Perhaps I was too quick in speaking, I can see you do have the smallest bit of sensitivity there. Somehow.” The older warrior rose to her paws, jerking her head towards the fresh-kill pile. “Come, eat with me.”

Swanpath led the way, her confident stride leaving no room to argue. If Goosefur really wanted to receive any information about his brother, he’d have to win her over somehow. She knew the kind of abuse and manipulation that went on in Sharkpaw and Goosefur’s family, familiar with it from her own experience with Flinthawk, and wasn’t about to trust any of Stonefall’s kits without reason.

Feared
    Participant

He tried to suppress the relief that he felt from knowing that Sharkpaw had not been at the Great Battle. The battle had been fierce and only a few had lost their life’s but Sharkpaw was young and he knew within his cold heart that it would just about break him if Sharkpaw had been gravely injured. Now was that so hard to say? The grey and white tomcat snorted slightly, trying his best to mask the relief that had softened his facial features. Pupils narrowed slightly when the she-cat suddenly stopped circling him and moved to where she was now sitting down but watching him with a very curious and yet serious eye. The fur along his neck began to rise with how uncomfortable he was beginning to become, clearing his throat. “Finally.” He meowed in response to her answering his question about Sharkpaw, although Swanpath didn’t appear to be done with his just yet.

Instead he found himself stuck in her single eyed stare, shock filtering throughout his system when Swanpath finally spoke, his own eyes narrowing as she accused him of holding the smallest trace of sensitivity. Although, he found that he could not answer her with any retort, for she wasn’t wrong. Despite being a child of Stonefall and Blossomfire, his compassion had nearly been beaten out of him… but he had managed to hold on. Such things couldn’t be said for the rest of his siblings. As she rose to her paws, he looked away from her for a brief moment, his sage green eyes flashing towards the ground before his ear twitched as she order him to follow. Her voice held little argument. Grunting, he pushed himself to follow after the pale furred she-cat, his eyes watching her confident stride. What could he say? For once he felt at a loss for words as he felt struck by Swanpath, she had managed to notice his quiet compassion for Sharkpaw’s safety and now she was commanding him around.

Dark pink nostrils flared for a brief moment as they reached the fresh-kill pile, his pelt twitching as a few cats were glancing their way. Swanpath was a compassionate warrior but she had a firm stance and for her to be seen willingly with a child of Stonefall’s.. it was off. “I prefer the trout.” Goosefur meowed tartly as Swanpath was pondering their choices. He lifted an eyebrow as she chose anything other but a trout, a gleam in her eye as she turned away and led him towards the edge of camp as they settled down. Goosefur sat in front of Swanpath, he didn’t feel comfortable enough to sit side by side with her. “So.” He finally meowed, breaking the silence. “Why would you want to eat with me? You know who I am.” Goosefur grunted, testing back on his left shoulder as he gazed at the she-cat. What was her game?

Pheebs
    Participant

Swanpath’s abrupt decision to share a meal alongside one of Stonefall’s progeny was a controversial one, considering her outspoken repugnance for Stonefall and Blossomfire’s parenting (if it could be called that). Swan was once your average warrior with few opinions, but she matured considerably after Flinthawk and became dauntless because of her experience with the tom. So, suddenly deciding to eat with Stonefall’s son was a strange decision for someone of her character, then again, Swanpath rarely cared for public opinion.

“I prefer the trout,” The white-furred molly smirked, snatching up a bass. With a proud swing of her tail, the she-cat led Goosefur to the edge of camp to share their meal. “Why would you want to eat with me? You know who I am.”

Swanpath eyed the fish that lay between them, diving in for a bite while considering her response. A moment later, the feline swallowed and sat up, scrutinizing Goosefur’s rigid frame.

“You’re a rude, unsympathetic frog-brain who thinks throwing around insults can hide the fact that, somewhere beneath your glacial facade, there’s a caring soul.” The older warrior was careful to keep her expression vaguely annoyed, revealing nothing of the inner workings of her brain. “I have faith that you were not born as cold as you are now.” ‘I would know.’ Unbidden memories of Sleekfeather as a kit swirled before the former queen’s mind’s eye. “I want to get to know you, is that so difficult to believe, Goosefur?” The words fell out, harmless enough save for the silent challenge in Swanpath’s gold-green eyes.

Feared
    Participant

He wasn’t surprised when Swanpath went out of her way to pick the bass over the trout, a slight smirk rising along his lips for a brief moment as he watched the she-cat walk towards the edge of camp in order to find a partially shaded area. A few felines were glancing in their direction as anyone would, Swanpath and Goosefur were an odd pairing to decide to share a fish, Goosefur usually kept to himself and ran off anyone who dared to bother him. Shellpaw and Pebbleheart were staring in his direction, causing his lips to part as he snapped his jaws out of irritation, his sage green eyes dark with aggression as his actions instantly caused the two felines to hastily look away from him. Nosey shellfish. He thought silently to himself, his broad paws sinking into the moist earth as he continued his trek after Swanpath, ears lying back loosely against his head. He wasn’t exactly irritated with her, but more so everyone else that was gawking at them. This wasn’t any of their business. The dark grey, pale grey, and white striped tomcat lowered himself to where he was sitting beside of Swanpath, not bothering to glance in her direction while his green eyes were still observing the camp, throwing glares at anyone that dared to look at them, his ears slowly lifting at the sound of Swanpath digging into the bass that she had selected.

She didn’t appear bothered by everyone, but he didn’t like too many eyes landing upon him, something that fell into his childhood. Once she began to speak, he again wasn’t surprised at what she had to say, he had built up the reputation of being rude and uncaring towards most felines, he stayed silent as he didn’t care, that was until she spoke that he actually obtained a caring soul. He was surprised nonetheless, this she-cat didn’t really know him and here she was thinking she could see right through him. Goosefur made sure to keep his face unreadable but his eyes were a different story, they were conflicted as his eyes landed upon the white furred she-cat. “I think you are mistaken, one-eye.” His voice was low and gravely, almost holding a growl as a silent warning for the she-cat to stop prying. Sorrelember was also trying to pry into his soul, mostly because of Darktorrent and even his brother seemed to be acting nicer in ways. It was odd, and although he craved for a relationship with any of his siblings, he had to be careful. Swanpath was creating an opening for his walls to crumble but he was unsure if he really wanted to jump at that crack in his walls. Slowly he chewed on the inside of his cheek as Swanpath mentioned that she knew he wasn’t born cold, no in fact he had been born a very compassionate young tom that cried every time one of his brothers was beaten. However, he had been forced to grow cold and push everyone away to keep himself safe, sadly he never considered leaving the clan, he knew he wouldn’t survive on his own for long. “Actually I was a lot like Sharkpaw at one point. But that’s no longer the case.” Goosefur meowed, his green eyes looked away from the she-cat.

What trickery was this? She suddenly wanted to get to know him? “Actually it is difficult to believe, no one really has ever wanted to get to know me.” He retorted, refusing to look at Swanpath. She was digging at him and he could feel himself wanting to release his tender soul, but he chewed on his tongue to keep himself from speaking for a moment before he cleared his throat. “What would you like to know?” Goosefur finally questioned, lowering himself to lay lazily upon his side, facing the she-cat as he arched an eyebrow while a small smirk colored his lips. He had to steel himself and tread carefully. “I am one of the sons to Stonefall and Blossomfire. I am rude, unsympathetic, a loner and I like trout.” He meowed, his voice holding little emotion, his face still holding the smirk but his eyes, they always betrayed him.

Pheebs
    Participant

“Mind your own business,” Swanpath called to the cats roaming the camp, not bothering to watch as eyes turned away from the strange duo. She’d gained some respect in the clan, in part from history and seniority, and she exercised it in situations like this one that called for it. 

“Ooh, ‘One-Eye’, very clever.” She pushed the bass to Goosefur, wordlessly insisting he eats some. “Pity others aren’t like Sharkpaw anymore, we could all use some of that innocence.” The Riverclanner offered a knowing smile, one tinged with bitterness and self-deprecation. Swanpath couldn’t remember a moment in her life that wasn’t disheartening in some way, so in a sense, Goosefur and she shared that. 

“-Tt-,” Swanpath shook her head, scowling in disapproval, “Not unsympathetic, but you are a good actor.” Swan smiled lightly, gaze soft for the first time since they’d started speaking. 

“I am Egretstrike’s daughter,” the words ‘Egretstrike’s’ and ‘daughter’ were foreign and wrong, still she soldiered on, “I am stubborn, blunt, a victim and I prefer bass. I’m also blind in one eye as you’ve kindly pointed out, multiple times.”

For the rest of their meal, the two descended into silence, with Swanpath infrequently scrutinizing Goose’s features. Once the fish had been finished off, the older Riverclanner settled down onto her belly.

“Stonefall was a fool, you know,” Swan spoke finally, lost in her thoughts. “He was blessed with great kits and decided to treat them as less than. If he were still alive, his own position in this Clan’s hierarchy would be lower than the worms.” ‘I’d make sure of it,’ the white warrior mused. “And I don’t say that just to gain your favor, Goosefur. I mean it in earnest if Stonefall weren’t dead already I’d probably have given him scars to match my own.” 

Flinthawk had been Swanpath’s own Stonefall, a terror who seemed to dominate her and handle her as inferior. Swan had been too blind to see it then, the punishments doled out that she didn’t realize what they were until after the whole ordeal had ended, all the words that’d left lasting wounds. Swanpath hadn’t set out to befriend Goosefur but looking at him now, seeing that same rawness in his eyes? The impulse to know and understand this tom had planted its seed, and anyone who knew Swanpath knew just how obstinate she could be. 

Feared
    Participant

Swanpath didn’t exactly react much to his sneer towards her eye, of course she had probably heard it all and honestly he had been hoping it would deter her questions but it didn’t seem to as she gazed at him thoughtfully. Eyes lowered towards the bass as the fresh water fish was pushed towards him, pupils narrowing slightly for a moment before his gaze lifted to watch the molly before he finally decided that he would accept the fish without a fuss. Lifting a broad paw, his claws dug into the soft scales of the fish, dragging it towards his chest as he lowered his head and took a reasonably sized bite out of the fishes side, it held a tang that he wasn’t exactly a fan off, but he kept that to himself. She was kind enough to offer him some of the fish in the first place. Goosefur was currently chewing the mouthful when Swanpath meowed once more, his eyes lifting towards her face as she spoke of the innocence that Sharkpaw still possessed. Yes, his little brother was indeed lucky that Stonefall was dead. Of course, he would have done all that he could to keep Stonefall from gazing upon Sharkpaw and tainting that innocence, like his had been. Slowly he swallowed the mouthful, eyebrows furrowed slightly in discomfort as the molly struck a cord within his aching heart, running his tongue over his teeth to clean them of any fish that was left behind. “Yes, his innocence is indeed rare.” He said in a soft voice, the gruffness falling away as he slowly looked around camp, as if his eyes were seeking out his youngest sibling. “So rare that it needs to stay intact for as long as possible. He will be different from the rest of us with a semi normal life. He won’t be the average Stonefall and Blossomfire child.” He spoke softly, the words just slipping from his lips before he could choke them back.

Slowly he breathed in and looked back down at the bass his paws held onto, grunting as he finally pushed the fish back in her direction before he smirked slightly. “Hmm. What makes you so sure?” He questioned while arching an eyebrow, of course he wasn’t unsympathetic, if he was then he would have been far more ruthless with her appearance. Of the fact that he wouldn’t have cared if his younger brother had been injured or not. Good actor.. He had heard Redwave say that before when concerning his sexuality, but he supposed that he would have to be a good actor in order to try and blend into the ranks of the Clan. “Perhaps, but aren’t we all to a point, good actors?” He questioned, white whiskers twitching before pulling back against his cheeks. He listened silently as she spoke of herself, although he wasn’t sure if he knew Egretstrike very well, his green eyes looking down towards the ground as he tried to place the name with a face but he was having some difficulty. Perhaps he didn’t know this Egretstrike, maybe the feline was already passed. What caught his attention was when she mentioned that she was a victim, his chin immediately lifting and staring at the molly. He didn’t hear her mention her eye, he was still stuck on the word she had thrown in there before she nonchalantly continued her sentence. Victim..? Goosefur wondered, his green eyes silently searching her face as his eyes narrowed in thought. Was that what she had seen that made her so curious? Was he so easily read that this stranger could see that he was a victim as well?

Goosefur could feel that his emotions were too near the surface for his liking, shifting slightly on his side while his green eyes quickly glanced away from Swanpath, noticing that he was staring. “I’ve noticed both the eye and the bass.” He grunted, his dark grey pointed ears twitching slightly as he swallowed his thoughts. However they rotated to listen to what Swanpath had to say, before they immediately lowered and caused his eyes to fall towards the ground while his chin remained raised, eyebrows furrowed as slightly pained expression found its way onto his face. His mentor hadn’t been as kind as this she-cat, in fact his mentor had been a spy of sorts for Stonefall to keep an eye on his Tom loving son. Stonefall wasn’t just a fool, he was a Cretan of the deepest ocean, he deserved to rot without being remembered. But no matter how hard Goosefur tried, his father and the scars left behind were still haunting him. Goosefur was at a loss for words, his throat was throbbing with emotion to hear someone say that would have scarred his father because of his unholy behavior, his eyes dark with emotion before he tried to steel himself. Clearing his facial expression but his eyes still betrayed him, wordlessly expressing his pain throughout his years of torture. “He’s gone now… now I can live my life.” He muttered softly, he was unable to look at Swanpath, if he did.. she would see him. His shattered soul.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp Useful or Useless?