The Truth is Revealed [Zeke and Mercury]

Forums The Outskirts The Outskirts Misty Forest The Truth is Revealed [Zeke and Mercury]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

It was only a matter of time before Mercury discovered their other siblings, or Bluewing came after them, and Zeke knew this. Today just happened to be that day. He often followed Mercury long distances, and today he’d spotted them talking to what he could only assume was Harekit – or whatever her new name was. They hadn’t seem to recognize each other, and whether for interest of Mercury’s reaction or to finally clear the air between them, Zeke had decided to tell his child the truth.

He didn’t like hanging around in ShadowClan territory anymore without a reason, so the tuxedo cat was sat just outside the border, running his tongue along his tangled pelt. The fact of the matter was that Mercury had to come out sooner or later, and he knew they’d come this way. Then they would be able to talk, and Zeke would finally be able to tell them the truth. At the sound of rustling deeper in the forest, Zeke’s golden eyes shifted slowly up to fix into ShadowClan’s territory, eyes glimmering in interest.

Jak-O-Lantern
    Participant

“It’s a bad ideaaaa” a pitch black cat with a ragged tattered pelt said as she slunk up from behind the tom. The she-cat’s glazed uninterested green eyes gazed across the boarder into Shadowclan. After a few minutes of no response she spoke up again “Family matters, correct? Maybe Former mate and kit yeah? It’s not worth it, if they’re over there and you’re here your mate obviously didn’t care for you that much and chances she turned your kit against you.. that is, if I’m reading the situation correctly.” she meowed matter-of-factly. Kell didn’t believe in lasting connections, she was what she thought of as a “realist” and she had her reasons for this pessimistic viewpoint.

Vox
    Participant

Why did that cat seem so familiar? Mercury thought to themselves as they padded through ShadowClan territory on their way back to the outskirts. They didn’t remember ever spotting Harepaw before on one of their adventures, and besides, she seemed… Way too familiar to just be a passing face. As the orange-pelted cat reached the border, they shoved those thoughts to the back of their mind and continued on their way. Curiosity shifted to a slight amount of dread as Zeke came into view. “Hello, dad. Hope you didn’t miss me too much,” Merc teased, giving the black and white tom a curt nod. They couldn’t exactly put a paw on what it was, but something seemed off about him. Was it tension? Hesitation? Both? Whatever it was, Mercury wasn’t exactly too excited to find out what the problem was.

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

(( Sorry, @burntscone this is actually a closed RP between Vox and I. Thank you for your enthusiasm, though! ))

As Mercury approached him, Zeke rose to his paws, his gold eyes fixed on his child. His face was cold, not giving anything away as he tried to figure out the best way to broach the subject. “Mercury. We have to talk, walk with me.” With that said, Zeke turned away from them and trotted away from the ShadowClan border. Something was definitely wrong, Zeke’s usual nonchalant personality was gone and instead a cold figure remained.

Once he was sure Merc was walking alongside him, Zeke glanced over, whiskers twitching. “I saw you with the ShadowClan cat today. Talking.” His golden eyes narrowed. “I’m sure there was something different about her to you… wasn’t there? Something about her that made you feel different.” His gaze fixed back in front of her and he opened his mouth before taking another moment to consider his words. “We know her. Both of us. Even if you don’t remember.”

Vox
    Participant

Mercury felt dread wash over them as their father suddenly became cold. Upon Zeke’s announcement that the two of them needed to talk, Merc swallowed nervously and after a moment of hesitation, followed after him as he walked away. As they padded alongside him, they thought, Am I in trouble? He’s never been mad at me before for wandering over borders and such; I’m not sure what’s so different about now, but that worry soon faded as the black and white tom mentioned Harepaw. They had already let that encounter start to slip from their mind, thinking it fairly unimportant. What would be important about some random clan cat apprentice? After all, their father and them were both rouges. The affairs of clan cats didn’t concern them.

Indifference was soon replaced with awe when Mercury heard the words ‘we know her’ slip out of Zeke’s mouth. “She’s just a ShadowClan cat, how would I know her?” they asked incredulously, purring in amusement.  A feeling was just a feeling… right? All the ways that Harepaw could be familiar rushed through the orange cat’s mind, making their head spin in confusion. Merc fell quiet as they were consumed with thought, trying to make sense of the whole ordeal.

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Zeke gave them a moment of silence to let them think before he continued. “Well, sometimes… things don’t go the way you planned, sport.” His eyes narrowed on the ground and his pace slowed for a minute before speeding up again. “Your mother, it wasn’t that she didn’t want to be in the picture. I’m sure that she’d love to be apart of your life, but…” He hummed for a minute, looking over at Merc. “You know this is the right life for you, right, Mercury?”

He flexed his claws for a moment, waiting for their answer, before shaking his head. “This isn’t coming out the way I wanted it to.” He sighed. “Your mother’s name is Bluewing. She is a ShadowClan cat. We… fell in love. We had you, and three other kittens. Raccoonkit, Badgerkit, and Harekit.” Zeke’s amber eyes met Mercury’s gaze and he waited silently for it to click.

Vox
    Participant

Mercury continued to walk alongside Zeke in silence, giving a grunt of agreement when Zeke asked whether the life of a rouge was right for them. While he had always felt an inexplicable connection to the clans, they would feel horrible being cooped up by rules and borders. Being able to go wherever they wanted whenever they wanted was the only way they could live their life.

No matter how hard they tried, Mercury couldn’t seem to get the thought of their mother out of their head. The only memories they had were a few flashes of warmth and glimpses of a friendly face. So when Zeke revealed the truth, Merc’s amber eyes were wide open with surprise. “Bluewing? ShadowClan? I have siblings?…” They froze in shock when the last name came out of their father’s mouth. “Harepaw!” That’s why the she-cat felt so familiar! How could they have secret family for so long without knowing? Zeke would have to explain himself…

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Zeke glanced away from his child’s piercing gaze, and a sigh dropped out of his lips, one of anguish and regret. “I used to sneak into Clan territories, just like you do now. And on one of these adventures, a warrior caught me, and she was so fierce, and so beautiful.” His eyes narrowed, “We had something. I don’t think it was love. I don’t know what it was. I liked being with her, and maybe she loved me, but it was never meant to be anything.” Slowly, his gaze drifted to Mercury, and he sighed. “Well, you guys happened. What was she s’posed to tell her Clan, huh? She told me I could join them and we could live together, but she didn’t get it. I didn’t want to, and I could never have lived that life. When I saw you… Well, I knew you wouldn’t fit, just like me. So, I took you to live with me.”

Another sigh escaped his maw, and his pace stopped as he stared at the ground. “I haven’t seen her since. Didn’t know if your siblings had survived, didn’t know if they knew about us. Bluewing might hate us for all I know.” His amber eyes fixed on them, burning like a fire. “That’s why we could never back. Why you could never go back. You don’t belong there, with them, Mercury. You belong with me, where we’re free.”

Vox
    Participant

Mercury just remained frozen in shock for a moment as they listened to Zeke’s tale. He knew his father was a bit of a jerk, but the way he talked about his relationship with their mother irked them a bit. It seemed as though Bluewing was nothing more than another cat, not the mother of his kits… A cat of no importance to him. It was true that the orange rouge wasn’t cut out for clan life, but they were never even given a chance.

Mercury returned their father’s burning gaze, amber on amber, and curled his lip into a frown. “You speak of them like this situation isn’t important to me! They’re my siblings, Zeke, your children, and you talk about them like they are nothing!” They snapped, their furious gaze started to turn upset. They started to tremble slightly, their pelt burning up, gritting their teeth as they tried to hold back a growl. “You know, you can be a real piece of fox-dung sometimes.”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Outskirts The Outskirts Misty Forest The Truth is Revealed [Zeke and Mercury]