The Omen Warning

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp The Omen Warning

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

In order to get to RiverClan’s camp, Wolfstar and Nettlenose had to cross two streams. One was stronger than the other, but Wolfstar had no problem wading through their currents. His daughter, however, never had the swim training he had, so he stayed by her side to make sure she didn’t get swept away. Once they were safely across each time, Wolfstar shook out his long coat and prayed to StarClan it would dry by the time they got to the enemy camp. He worried about Nettlenose’s strength towards the end of this journey since they would be crossing two more streams to get to SkyClan and ShadowClan. But his ginger daughter looked determined, her muscles showing strength despite the lack of warrior training. He smiled with pride and continued padding to RiverClan’s camp by her side.

Surprisingly, they didn’t run into any patrols or straggler RiverClanners throughout the territory, so their trip to the camp was quite easy. As soon as they got to the entrance, Wolfstar flicked his tail and took a deep breath. His last encounter with Wisteriastar was at the Gathering, and they weren’t the closest of leaders. He had a feeling she was annoyed when Hollystar agreed to let his whole Clan stay during the storm while sending half of Wisteriastar’s cats away to be with ShadowClan. But he hoped she understood that had nothing to do with why they were here now.

Wolfstar pressed forward through the entrance and found himself inside the RiverClan camp. A couple of warriors were sharing tongues in the middle of the clearing with their heads pressed close together. Two apprentices were practicing battle moves by a den he assumed was the apprentices den, and one cat was ripping meat from a trout beside a fresh kill pile. The whole place smelled of fish and water. He forced himself not to wrinkle his nose. Even though both of his parents were RiverClanners, he never felt close to his birth Clan or had hopes of joining them or becoming allies. They were as strange to him as ShadowClan.

Turning towards the closest RiverClanner, he dipped his head in greeting, making sure his pelt wasn’t bristled. Inside an enemy camp, it was best to keep a calm composure. “I would like to speak with your leader, please,” he meowed, hoping they wouldn’t send them away without letting him explain why they were there.

Nettlenose
    Participant

Nettlenose hadn’t been looking forward to this journey, for quite a few reasons. The stubby-legged she-cat was the opposite of a strong swimmer, and as soon as they reached the water’s shore she was reminded of the flooding. It took her a moment before she got the nerve to place her paws in the stream, chills shooting along her pelt as it lapped gently at her fur. Her father beside her was the only thing that was giving her the courage to cross the waters, her fluffy head help up above the water as determined as she could in order to cross. This was simply part of the journey, part of what it took to warn the other clans of the arising threat.

The medicine cat was curious of how RiverClan would take their sudden appearance in their territory. They wouldn’t attack, of course, but she knew they weren’t on the greatest of terms. However, perhaps this was a chance to strengthen their bonds a bit. Surely Wisteriastar would appreciate the warning they had traveled to give…

Are we to have Hickoryroot present as well when we tell Wisteriastar?” Nettlenose asked curiously in regards to Riverclan’s medicine cat. Perhaps the other could offer some insight, but she wanted to do what her father believed was the best course of action. “And Heronflight…?

The molly could easily tell when they were approaching Riverclan’s camp. Their scent grew stronger, as did the smell of fish and all the many scents that came with the waters. She wasn’t overly fond of it, preferring the scents of dried leaves and tall grasses, but said nothing or showed no disgust. Instead, she looked quite curious, her eyes flickering over the cats in their clearing. The cream-striped she-cat stayed by Wolfstar’s side, her round emerald eyes rather calm for being in a different camp. They just had to convey their message.

Finch
    Participant

Scenting WindClan before he saw or heard the two visitor’s entrance into their camp, Heronflight quickly excused himself from the warriors he was talking with to cross the clearing and greet Wolfstar and Nettlenose. Not particularly fond of either of them, they were still a more welcome intrusion than say, ThunderClan. His unease spiked when he realized that Nettlenose was one of the two cats– usually during visits it would be the leader and deputy or another warrior. If the ThunderClan medicine cat was present, there must be something unusual happening.

“Greetings,” he meowed politely, dipping his head to the pair once he came to stand in front of them. “How… unusual to see you both here. Wisteriastar should be over in a moment.” The leader had surely scented them already, and if she was asleep then the warrior who’d just hurried past him would know to look for her in her den.

With the tension between RiverClan and ThunderClan of late, Heronflight wondered if the atmosphere of the cats currently in camp seem off somehow. Many of his clanmates were anxious or battle-hungry, and the overall mood was subtly different than the usual smugness of success over their mastery of the territory and it’s waters.

Jetstream
    Participant

– W I S T E R I A S T A R –

The scent of WindClan assaulted her senses far before the alerting warrior had even managed to breech the barrier to her den. Calico fur spiked immediately along the back of warrior’s neck as she hopped to her paws, ignoring the sting of her muscles protesting the movement while she stepped out of her den to meet the approaching RiverClan warrior face-to-face. They glanced at her in a somewhat shock at her urgency before they relayed the information to her that it was only Wolfstar and Nettlenose that had come to RiverClan to speak with her. Wisteriastar’s ruffled pelt smoothed at the message. Knowing that WindClan had not come to cause aggression was a relief, that’s for sure. I was almost absolutely sure that Wolfstar had come to hit us for what happened in ThunderClan, given how close he and Hollystar are… She thought to herself, suppressing a sigh at the idea of it all. 

The RiverClan leader descended the rocky staircase that lead up to the waterfall that boomed in their camp and turned to a nearby warrior. “Fetch Heronflight.” She told them, returning her attention to the leader and medicine cat in her camp grounds. Wisteriastar and Wolfstar had initially gotten off on a bad foot and neither of them surely were looking forward to talking to one another again given that circumstance, but the calico feline was not foolish or immature and she knew that the graying tom wouldn’t have come to her camp to speak with her without a good reason. That being said, she did not appear to be the happiest to see him. Especially after the battle in ThunderClan camp, with her wounds fresh and the scent of death apparent from their casualties. RiverClan was also at a high disadvantage from the results of the battle with their medicine cat, Hickoryroot, suffering from a severe illness and confined to his own den in the meantime. She had many more worries to deal with in her own clan than to have WindClan waltzing into her camp grounds. While she was not the leader known for being short-tempered and hard to deal with among the five clans of the seashore, Wisteriastar was also not one to let things like this slip by without a sharp-tongued retort. 

“Wolfstar,” she acknowledged, stepping up to greet him face-to-face, pleased that her deputy, Heronflight had already gone to handle the situation as she reached the trio. “I trust that you’ve come here with a good reason, as I’m sure you can tell that we’re not exactly happy to see those belonging to other Clans just walking right into our camp grounds without permission to do so.” Her amber eyes flickered over to Nettlenose, the cream-furred feline appeared to be calm and aware despite the tenseness the RiverClan warriors felt. She hadn’t known much of WindClan personally, but she had heard good things about the fluffy feline from her own healer. If there was something she had to say, Wisteristar would have to put her trust in her, especially with Hickoryroot out of commission.

Wolfstar
    Participant

As soon as Wolfstar and Nettlenose were noticed by the RiverClan cats in camp, he stood feeling almost shocked at how hostile and surprised they seemed to be. The WindClan leader was fully aware he didn’t look one bit threatening. Who would come into a camp full or cats with only one other cat beside them? He then noticed some of the warrior’s had cobwebs wrapped around limbs and placed on open wounds. Fresh wounds…His eyes narrowed with curiosity and he gave Nettenose a questioning glance. “They look like they were just in a battle,” he murmured.

When Heronflight padded forward, he was grateful to see the deputy didn’t greet them with hostility. “Greetings, Heronflight. Thank you,” he replied, dipping his head with respect. Unlike the ThunderClan deputy, he was actually quite fond of Heronflight, truly believing Wisteriastar had made the perfect choice. Wolfstar turned his attention to Wisteriastar as the she-cat padded forward, and he was shocked at the sight. Her wounds were clear as day, still fresh as if she had gotten them today or the day before.

Wisteriastar,” he greeted, once again dipping his head. “I apologize for coming in without waiting for a patrol first, but Nettlenose and I have something urgent we would like to discuss. I also apologize for coming at what is obviously a bad time…” He gave the clearing a look over once more, meeting the glares and unnerving glances of her warrior’s. “It looks as if you were in a battle. I hope everyone is alright and there weren’t too many injuries,” he said, truly meaning it. Wolfstar was not the type of cat to say something he didn’t mean, and he was also the type to never wish ill or hurt on anyone no matter who they were. He switched the conversation back to why they were there. “I believe you will want your medicine cat present as well as to take us somewhere private for the conversation.” He didn’t know Wisteriastar well enough to know how she would react to his message. Wolfstar had been quite sure that Hornetstar would have denied his request to speak privately, but was left surprised when he didn’t argue. The RiverClan leader, however, looked rough and almost impatient. “It has to do with all the Clans,” he murmured quietly enough to where only she could hear, his voice a little foreboding.

Nettlenose
    Participant

Maintaining her politeness as they had wandered into a foreign camp without permission, Nettlenose dipped her head cordially towards Heronflight, her emerald eyes flicking over they deputy’s figure. Injuries. And not just on him, but the camp’s air had the hint of blood on its breeze, and many of the cats in the clearing seemed to show wounds of their own. Had something just happened…? She glanced to her father, and saw he had the same questioning expression.

As Wisteriastar appeared before them, wounded as well, she was certain something had just occured. By nature she felt her paws itch at the sight of the wounds, and she was almost wishing she could ask to aid them, but that wasn’t what they were here for.

Wisteriastar,” Nettlenose greeted, her soft tone friendly but laced with some concern. “I am sorry for troubling you at this time, but as Wolfstar says, this matter is truly urgent. I agree as well that Hickoryroot can be present if able…

Finch
    Participant

Unshocked with Wisteriastar’s lukewarm welcome to the WindClanners, Heronflight listened silently as Wolfstar explained the purpose of their visit and requested that they take the conversation somewhere more private. Sharing a look with his leader, he bristled slightly at the idea of all ranks in RiverClan leaving the camp at once. Certainly we won’t be going far, he reminded himself. That is, if the request is even accepted.

It was no secret that WindClan and ThunderClan’s leaders were on colloquial terms, and the grey tom wasn’t entirely past being suspicious of them taking some kind of retribution for what had happened. Still, the concern in Nettlenose’s voice kept him quiet. Fixing the cream-coloured she cat with a calculating look, he tried to gauge how sincere she might be. Surely Wolfstar wouldn’t be so low as to use a medicine cat to lulling others into a trap…

Jetstream
    Participant

A sigh escaped the calico warrior before she could stop herself. It seemed that every encounter she had with Wolfstar’s company would be exhausting and frustrating and it certainly wasn’t giving the best of terms to the relationship between their Clans at this point. But she could appreciate the respect he showed her and the least she could do was return the display with an equal amount of dignity. She dipped her head in return to the WindClan leader before turning to look at the healer he had brought with him. Wisteriastar shook her head softly at the addition of Nettlenose’s request. “Unfortunately, Hickoryroot is under the influence of a terrible sickness. We’re not sure if he’ll recover or not.” She moved to turn, giving a gesturing flick of her tail as she headed toward the rocky outer-crop atop of the waterfall that boomed in their camp. “You’ll have to settle with Heronflight and I. Come, we’ll talk in my den. It’s somewhat slippery so watch your paws.” 

To her, clambering over the wet and slick rocks that huddled on the sides of the waterfall was no big deal, but RiverClan cats were accustomed to getting their paws wet and she knew that she couldn’t speak for the WindClan cats that had come to speak with her. She waited a brief pause for them to make the climb before she slipped into the crevice of a small cave behind the large rock where she usually made her clan announcements. It wasn’t the biggest of spaces, but it was large enough to hold the four of them without feeling cramped. Wisteriastar took a seat on the far end of the den and then she fixed her orange eyes once more on Wolfstar and Nettlenose. “Now, please do tell me what’s so urgent.”

Nettlenose
    Participant

A sadness ebbed at Nettlenose’s heart upon learning of Hickoryroot’s illness. She wondered if she should mention possibilty taking a look at her fellow healer before they left, but wasnt sure overstaying their welcome was the brightest idea at the moment. Especially after the battle that had just occurred.

Grateful that RiverClan agreed to hear out what they had come for, she followed their leader to her den, which proved harder than she had thought. Was everything in this water-oriented clan slippery?! The fluffy furred feline moved slowly up to the den in comparison to the natives of Riverclan, her stocky legs moving stiffly as she put every paw precisely where it felt stable. Eventually, she made it, and waited to be seated beside her father. 

Wolfstar and I have come with a warning,” Nettlenose began, drawing her breath in steady and even as she recalled the terror that had visited her when the sky was growing dark. “I received an omen that we felt needed to be shared to all clans. There were birds, filling the skies like dark and loud shadows, crying and swarming and swooping.” The medicine cat shuttered, her round eyes glancing over Riverclan’s ranks.

Though most frightening was the cold. It was so frigid, as freezing as…well, death. And one thing was certain, and very clear. Whatever this ominous warning is, it will affect all clans.”

Wolfstar
    Participant

Wolfstar almost sighed with relief when Wisteriastar agreed to talk somewhere more private, but he frowned at the mention of Hickoryroot falling ill. “I’ll pray to StarClan he recovers,” he meowed, and he quickly hurried after her. The rocky slope that lead to her den was not a big problem for Wolfstar seeing as he didn’t mind getting his paws wet, but he knew Nettlenose was a lot less familiar with the water and how slippery it could be. He stayed behind Nettlenose to make sure she wouldn’t slip, keeping an eye on her footing. His paws swiftly moved from one rock to the other until they all made it to the top safely. 

He disappeared at the mouth of her den as he stepped inside, looking around the space with curiosity. His den in WindClan’s new camp was a hollowed out rabbit hole which was vastly different than the beautiful cave Wisteriastar resided in. He thought about how lovely it would be to fall asleep to the sound of the burbling waterfall every night. Despite the beauty he found in water, he would never be able to give up the noise of the humming wind swishing over the moorland grasses. Once all four cats were inside, he seated himself and waited for Nettlenose to sit beside him. His ears twitched as she spoke of the omen, her voice shaking. He was grateful this was the second to last stop before they were able to go home and sleep away the exhaustion of telling the same story over and over again. 

When Nettlenose was finished, he looked up at Wisteriastar, his tail tip twitching curiously. “The birds in her omen were ravens. I’m not sure if that plays a big role in whatever this means, but I found it quite interesting. And…” he looked at Wisteriastar’s wounds. “It’s obvious you were in a battle. We just came from SkyClan and ShadowClan so I know it isn’t with them. And unless a band of rogues, badgers, or foxes strolled into RiverClan territory then I would say you had a battle with ThunderClan.” Could StarClan be warning the Clans that if they continued with their battles and constant bickering that it would end in death? He tried to show no emotion about the matter, but he was secretly worrying about the state of Hollystar and her Clanmates.

Jetstream
    Participant

Wisteriastar listened quietly and expectantly to Nettlenose’s explanation of the vision she had received; her facial expression had not changed, despite the grave circumstances that the omen perceived would happen. As far as she was concerned, they appeared to already be on the brink of what this warning had to offer. This much had only been echoed by Wolfstar’s vocal challenge of what had just occurred between RiverClan and ThunderClan. The tip of her tail twitched irritably as she did not like the state of her Clan to be questioned by an outsider. “Yes, there was a battle between our Clans. And honestly, I’d say that it would be of none of your business if it weren’t for the vision your Medicine Cat received.” The RiverClan leader replied bluntly, her words straight-forward, though not intentionally harsh. “The battle has resulted in two deaths so far between both of our Clans and many more wounds. I’m afraid that with what Nettlenose has told us today, this may only be the beginning. There are clearly many more resulting deaths to come.” 

A flock of ravens were commonly interpreted as a sign of death, as they only clustered together if there was a corpse nearby. She didn’t have to speak directly and commonly with StarClan to see that for herself. As for the cold that the WindClan healer described, it was already Leaf-Bare, wasn’t it? This omen appeared to be right on the brink of their noses and if the Clans wanted to prepare for what it had to offer them, they didn’t have much time left. “I would watch your own Clan closely, Wolfstar. If the battle between ThunderClan and RiverClan is related to this vision, then it may only be a matter of time before your Clan is dragged into it. Especially if it’s evident that all Clans will be affected.” Wisteriastar liked to believe that she was a realist and that it was only logical that, going forward, WindClan would be their enemy, given Wolfstar’s friendship with Hollystar. And she didn’t want to have them lingering for much longer than they already were, she had to be wary of them from now on. “Now, if there’s nothing else you have to say, please leave our territory at once.”

Finch
    Participant

Easily following the others, Heronflight settled beside Wisteriastar to listen as Nettlenose shared the vision she’d had with them. Wonderful. Of course it would be bad news, he’d assumed it to be as much. Keeping silent as Wolfstar elaborated on the birds that had been in the vision, his pelt began to bristle slightly once again as the topic strayed to the recent battle. That was certainly no business of any outsiders– as if Riverclan was looking to pick fights in the middle of leaf-bare!

But he was practiced in holding his tongue, so he simply looked back out to the waterfall, allowing Wisteria start to handle the conversation. He just needed to be here so he properly understood any situations that might affect the clan. His thoughts were seconded when the RiverClan leader spoke, though she was more ready to agree that what had happened could be related to the vision. Did it really? It had been a mistake, after all.

“Please leave our territory at once.”

Well then. There’d be no insisting with Wisteriastar in her current mindset– he was very familiar with her stubborn streak.

“Thank you for sharing this with us,” Heronflight put in smoothly. He held outsiders at a distance, certainly, but manners were manners. They had come to warn them apparently out of good-will. That alone put RiverClan in a better position then they otherwise might have been. There was more trouble to prepare for than they’d expected.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp The Omen Warning