The Desert Storm is Arriving

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp The Desert Storm is Arriving

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

Light found its way through the heather at the top of the nursery, shining down on Willowfur’s nest and making it impossible to take a nap. Although, the little heat that came from it sent a purr down her throat, and she closed her eyes to revel in its warmth. During leafbare, it was always cold. But, somehow, the nursery was always warm for the kits and their mothers. Willowfur knew she should tell a warrior about the holes at the top of the ceiling so they could cover them back up, but she decided to let it be for now. What was so wrong about a little bit of light, anyways? The ginger queen’s ears twitched at the sound of Goldenrose rasping her tongue over her three kits. They were sound asleep, which was quite surprising during the day. They must have tired themselves out playing this morning. Wildkit and Breezekit were unusually loud as soon as the sun came up, and Heatherkit had followed them with shrieks of laughter. Despite their annoying noise, no one dared shut them up for they were Wolfstar’s kits.

Willowfur let out a calming sigh, but it was cut off as a sudden spasm of pain rolled over her stomach. Her eyes tightened until it went away. This was most likely another false alarm. But when the pain quickly came back, she knew it wasn’t. She tried hard not to yowl out so as not to wake the kits, so she bit her bottom lip. When that pain started to ebb, she knew she didn’t have long before it came back. Willowfur snapped her head towards Goldenrose, her eyes wide with fear. “Goldenrose, I-I think the kits are coming.” Her voice was shaky, full of anxiety at the thought of having to go through the pain of kitting. Willowfur was unable to say anything else for another spasm convulsed, and her claws dug deep into her mossy nest. This time, she was unable to hold back a groan of pain, no longer thinking of her tiny siblings beside Goldenrose’s belly.

Nettlenose! All she wanted at the moment was her sister’s calming voice and soft touch to help her through this. Even the thought of having Startledcrow near her wasn’t enough. Nettlenose and Willowfur had a bond ever since they came to the world together, but it sort of dwindled the past few moons after the medicine cat learned of her sister and her apprentice’s affair. At the moment, none of that mattered. She only craved the closeness again, hoping Nettlenose would help her through this.

Feared
    Participant

Goldenrose ~ WindClan Queen

A long and pink tongue was gently rasping over the fluffy pelts of her young kits, picking out the pieces of moss and burrs that her young ones had picked up this morning. Fortunately enough for her, the wee darlings were taking an evening nap, giving her some peace and quiet while they napped. Vibrant green eyes were soft as she peered down at her three kits, Heatherkit had a pelt much like her own, her body was slender unlike those of her brothers. She was snuggled against Goldenrose’s chest, her wee chin gently laying against her mother’s forearm. Lowering her head, she gently rasped her tongue over the she-kits head, flattening down the fluffy white and golden dusted fur. Breezekit and Wildkit has the strongest bond, those two rascals were laying against her stomach while her tail was neatly wrapped around them to give more warmth.

Breezekit was a very dark stormy grey tomkit with small patches of white decorating his chest and his toes. He looked the most like Wolfstar in the face and pelt, which caused her to smile as she gazed down at the large kit. Wildkit was certainly living up to his name, his coat was a thick black that stood up at odd angles. She had no idea where he had gotten that coat but she loved it, as he was aging small white dust like spots could barely be seen along the tips of his fur. She was grateful that they had finally calmed down long enough for a nap, Goldenrose knew that her kits caused plenty of trouble within the Clan, but no one dared to say anything troublesome for they were the kits of Wolfstar.

She smirked at the thought, the only one who truly complained of her kits, was her to Wolfstar. They were rascals and honestly she envied the warriors who would become their mentors. Wolfstar better choose wisely. She thought idly, purring softly as she looked down at her first litter. Although, her thoughts were cut short when Willowfur’s voice reached her ears, the sound of unease in her voice caused to become alert. Eyes flickered towards Willowfur’s stomach as the molly expressed that her kittens were going to make a grand entrance. Shuffling carefully, she stood up and stepped out of her nest, hurrying over towards her step daughter as she lowered her nose to sniff Willowfur’s pelt. Indeed, the kits were coming. “Stay calm, I’ll go fetch Nettlenose.” Goldenrose smiled softly and licked her forehead to help keep the younger molly at ease.

As she was rushing out of the den, she stopped mid-step and looked back at Willowfur. “Oh, and don’t worry. I’ll look for Eveningstorm as well!” She called out, finally rushing out of the den as she made a run for the Medicine Cat den. “Excuse me. Excuse me. Move please.” Could be heard as she made her way through the clearing, cats were eating their evening meals as they watched the Leader’s Queen rush towards the Medicine Cat den. Finally Goldenrose slipped into the den, her eyes narrowing as she spotted the light ginger colored pelt of Nettlenose and the dark grey striped pelt of Startledcrow as the two Medicine cats were conversing. “I’m sorry to interrupt.” Goldenrose began, getting their attention before she grinned. “Willowfur’s kits are coming and she needs a medicine cat.” Goldenrose purred, before she glanced at Startledcrow who immediately seemed to brighten at the news. “I’m going to move my kits to Wolfstar’s den to keep them out of the way, could you find EveningStorm for me? Willowfur will definitely want her mate there.” She purred before leaving the den, leaving Startledcrow speechless and a bit… un-needed.

Nettlenose
    Participant

Nettlenose had seemed a bit more stressed than usual lately. The medicine cat was known to be a worrier, a bit anxious at heart despite her calm demeanor, but things seemed more tense with her than usual at the moment. She couldn’t shake the omen, the vision. And now, as her emerald eyes reflected int Startledcrow’s, she found it growing far too difficult not to share with him what she had experienced. Wolfstar had voiced that he wasn’t a fan of her sharing it with her companion, however she couldn’t help but feel like she would be more comforted if she did, to have someone’s opinion that also stayed in close ties with StarClan.

Just then, the fluffy she-cat had decided she was going to share the dream with the dark colored tom, but as she opened her mouth to begin her story they were interrupted by none other than Goldenrose. Nettlenose stood, her mind instantly going to the queen’s three kits. Maybe one of them had a cold, but…she wouldn’t be grinning if that were the case. Curious, the molly tilted her head, only to gasp softly as Goldenrose revealed that she was here on behalf of Willowfur being ready to kit.

Willowfur, her very own sister, it was time! The medicine cat was speechless for a moment, her gaze drifting to Startledcrow. It was still a secret that he was the true father, and it must have been a blow to his heart for Goldenrose to come in and request that he fetch Eveningstorm. That was what they got for digging their own graves, she supposed. “I’ll be there at once Goldenrose, just allow me to gather what I’ll need. Startledcrow, fetch Eveningstorm as she said and then feel free to come and assist if you’d like…I’m sure I’ll need help with the cleaning up after.” A mild punishment for their affair that she found rather amusing.

Quickly, she sprung back into action, her teeth pulling out what herbs she would need and wrapping them securely in a leave to make the carrying easier. After she had what she believed she would need, the medicine cat trotted out of the den, heading for the nursery. Her emotions felt all over the place. Nettlenose wasn’t sure she loved anyone more than she loved her sister, who she’d been bonded with since birth, who had been there to laugh and grieve with her since the beginning. However, the drama of this secret love had put a weight on her shoulders like no other, straining ties between them and their father, and her own apprentice. But her love for the two wouldn’t change. And now, the kits were being born, and she was certain she would love them too. How could she not cherish the offspring of the two she truly adored?

Her pearly teeth clamped gently on the leaf bundle, she stepped into the nursery, round eyes falling on the heaving side of her sister. She was in pain, of course, but her heart swelled at the sight of it all, at what was about to happen, at the sudden treacherous fear that whatever omen she had witnessed would affect these wonderful kits that were to come. Chills snaking up her spine, she forced the thoughts out so she could focus and quietly stepped forward, laying the bundle next to Willowfur’s body. 

Willowfur, I’m here now…” Nettlenose’s voice assured, soft and gently spoken, her nose gently pressing into the softness of her sister’s cheek. “Are you ready to meet your kits?

Wolfstar
    Participant

Eveningstorm? Willowfur stared blankly after Goldenrose at the mention of the warrior, clearly forgetting for a moment that he was to be her kits’ father. She frowned, hoping Eveningstorm didn’t stay in the nursery with her during kitting. She would feel a lot more comfortable if he pretended to be a squeamish tom and stayed in the clearing till the kitting was over. Not to mention with Starteldcrow being present…Ugh this is just too dramatic! She couldn’t overly think. Her job only now was to be focus on the three kits she had to bring to this world: to this Clan. Willowfur’s green eyes glittered with pain, her claws unsheathing again into her nest, digging all the through till she hit the bottom floor. When Nettlenose finally made her entrance, Willowfur couldn’t help but let out a relieved chuckle. “Took you long enough, sister,” she joked, but was once again cut off as her stomach muscles tightened into another contraction.

I’ve been ready to meet them since I found out I was having them,” she panted, love filling her eyes. “I can’t wait to finally set eyes on them.” Willowfur felt like she already knew her kits. She had felt them grow inside her, kicking and moving around. One of the kits despised when she ate shrews, punching her ribs till she stopped. Another one moved during the night, and she feared that would be the one to keep her up every night. As long as they’re not as wild as Breezekit, Wildkit, and Heatherkit. Another contraction overcame her, and she looked up at Nettlenose with a hopeful expression. “Is Startledcrow coming? Does he want to be here? Oh, I hope so, Nettlenose. I want him to be the first one to see our kits.

Feared
    Participant

Startledcrow ~ WindClan Medicine Cat

He was less than amused once Nettlenose began to speak, her eyes shining with amusement as she seemed to be enjoying that Eveningstorm would be there in his place. However, his whiskers twitched for a moment when she mentioned that he could do the cleaning up, which he wouldn’t without complaint. However, his bright blue eyes narrowed upon his mentor for a moment as he gave a low growl once Goldenrose was out of reach. “We aren’t done with this conversation, Nettlenose.” He informed her as she walked out of the den in order to tend to her sister that was in the process of kitting. Of course, he was speaking about the apparent vision she had and spoke with Wolfstar, but had not come to even discuss anything with him. He had found out from his mate, Nettlenose had slightly confined in her sister before she had ever spoken to him. Startledcrow was simply angry with Nettlenose, he was a fellow Medicine Cat now at this point and she should have confined with him and Wolfstar.

Grumbling slightly under his breath for a moment as he looked around the den, having to control his flaring temper for the moment before he stalked outside of the den. Ears flattened against his wedged cranium as his bright blue eyes were simply flickering around the camps clearing as he sought out the dark brown tabby and white pelt of his older brother. He growled in annoyance when he didn’t immediately spot the tabby, stalking forwards with narrowed pupils as he looked around the clearing, nostrils flared for a single moment as he breathed out a huff before he spotted a young apprentice. “You there. Where is Eveningstorm?” He grumbled loudly, his tone clearly allowed for no nonsense. The apprentice was wide eyed as they looked up at the grumpy medicine cat, their voice soft and squeaky from being startled. “I-I believe he was sent out on a hunting patrol.” The young apprentice informed him, causing Startledcrow to stare down at the apprentice, his annoyance reaching its peak for a moment before he snorted. “Well, go find your mentor and go get him. His mate is kitting.” Startledcrow growled, his long tail flashing as he watched the young apprentice scamper off to find his mentor.

Tail still lashing, the ill tempered young Tom turned on his paws swiftly as he began to stalk out of the camps entrance. His mate would need fresh moss to replace her soon to be soiled nesting, ears twitching with his silent annoyance before he looked towards a young female who was eyeing him curiously. “Fetch me, rabbit fur from your catch. Willowfur will need the rabbit fur to keep her newborns warm.” He instructed the she-cat, who simply nodded and began to tear the fur from the skin of the rabbit. While he turned on his heel and made way for the overturned log that laid in their territory. The overturned log was a magnet for moss, which he greatly desired in order to replace the old nest of his mate, only the softest and slightly damp moss would do. Black nostrils flared for a moment as he found his way towards the log, his large paws digging deeply into the soft purposively with annoyance. “Hopefully it’ll be a smooth delivery.” He sighed loudly, rolling his eyes for a moment while his aqua blue eyes slowly roamed over the random patches of moss that decorated the pale brown bark of the fallen log.

Running his tongue over his teeth, he breathed in slowly as he checked the numerous patches of moss, finding just the right patch. Grumbling under his breath, he used his talons to scrape the moss off of the bark, grabbing it with his teeth as he shook it out, getting rid of the left over debris from the log. Once he was satisfied, he began his walk back towards the camp where the she-cat was waiting for him with the rabbit fur. “Thanks.” He gruffly thanked the she-cat, whiskers twitching as he dropped the moss and mixed the moss and rabbit fur together in order for him to carry it easier. Looking around, he noticed that Eveningstorm still wasn’t anywhere to be seen, causing him to roll his eyes as he walked towards the nursery. However, he stayed outside of the nursery for now, mostly for appearance even though his paws were itching to bring himself within the den.

Nettlenose
    Participant

Nettlenose had fully switched into her role as medicine cat as she entered the den, smiling briefly at her sister’s playful teasing that she had taken too long to get here. She moved to the queen’s other side, lifting a paw and gently but firmly prodding, feeling the solidity of the kits within her swollen belly. “Startledcrow will be here on his own time, I believe he is fetching Eveningstorm and I would assume he’s seeing to other preparations for you. I asked him to come in and help clean up once this is all over and settled.” She assured. Of course the molly wanted her mate to be present, but quite honestly the medicine cat was worried about Startledcrow’s presence during the actual kitting. If something went wrong with the process, she feared he wouldn’t be able to control himself mentally as the kits were also his. It seemed to risky and stressful to be dealt with.

Let’s make this a nice and smooth process, hm Willow?” She pressed, offering a warm smile to her kin. “It’s time that we began. I’m going to begin massaging your stomach to help you, but the majority of this job is on your shoulders. You can do this. Remember to control your breathing, nice and steady, and just keep pushing.” The medicine cat instructed. After sharing an understanding glance with the she-cat, she began skillfully massaging at Willowfur’s swollen belly, her mind fixed on the task. This had to be a smooth process, she wouldn’t allow any pain to come to her sister. These kits would be healthy, happy, perfect…

Keep breathing Willowfur, nice and steady, one…two…there we are…keep that up.” Her tone lulled, her paws feeling the spasms and contraction that coursed through her sisters abdomen. Her herbs lay neatly to the side, waiting for things to be over, though there wasn’t much to the plants during this procedure. It was mainly up to the queen. Nettlenose was running through what she had learned long ago about kitting, how she would lick the kits fur, ensure their freedom from the sac, check that they were breathing…oh, they just had to be breathing…

Her emerald eyes watched anxiously for the first one to be born.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Willowfur’s green eyes were closed as she focused on her sister’s calming voice, listening intently to her hushed tone. When she spoke Startledcrow’s name, Willowfur let out a sigh of relief, hoping her mate would be here soon. No one else will be in here with us. Maybe we can act naturally. She knew once the kits were born, she wouldn’t get a chance to have alone time with Startledcrow until they were apprentices. And that wouldn’t be for another six moons…How was she going to handle being away from him for that long? How was he going to handle it? Willowfur groaned, partly from anxiety and partly from pain as her muscles tightened from another contraction.

The ginger queen opened her eyes and looked at her large belly. “Come on, kits,” she whispered. “I want to meet you.” She was cut off by another pain, and she watched Nettlenose’s paws move over the rolling muscles to urge her kits forward. She listened to the medicine cat and tried to breathe through the contractions, forcing herself to pay attention to it, but it was getting hard. Where was Startledcrow?! Was he going to miss the birth of their first kit?

Suddenly, the most powerful contraction forced herself to push, and it wasn’t long before a tiny kit slid onto the moss behind her. Willowfur grunted and felt immediately weak, her torso shaking as she tried to lift herself up and stare at the little kitten. It had a sac over it that Nettlenose still needed to take care of, but she could see a sleek dark gray pelt. Like Startledcrow! Willowfur placed her head back down on the nest, a smile lighting up her face. Stormkit. She already knew the kit’s name before it was born, but seeing it made her decision final. She didn’t care if it was a she-cat or a tom, this kit was named Stormkit. “Is Stormkit okay?” She asked Nettlenose, still panting. Before Nettlenose had the chance to answer, her muscles contracted again. How was she going to have the energy to kit all three of them?

Feared
    Participant

He sat outside of the nursery with a rather sour expression upon his face, eyes narrowed as he tried to ignore the sounds that were coming from within the nursery. He was looking down at the moss and rabbit fur, but paws kneading both together as he began to form a nest while muttering underneath his breath. Ears twitched slightly as he heard faint groans of pain and small yelps leaving his mates throat. Whiskers twitched with unease as he quickly decided that he didn’t like the noise that his mate was making, chewing on the inside of his cheek as his eyes slowly trailed upright as he caught swift movement out of the corner of his right eye. Eveningstorm was rushing through entrance of the camp, his dark amber eyes wide when he spotted Startledcrow, chin tilting slightly for a moment as his bright blue eyes searched the expression of his older brother. Eveningstorm’s eyes were wide but his posture was calm besides him rushing forwards. “How’s Willowfur?” He questioned Startledcrow, clearly worried for his friend but he was having to make an appearance and a show of Willowfur being his ‘mate’.

Startledcrow hesitated slightly as he looked down at the nest before him, pawing the material quietly. “She’s inside, I’ve… I’ve heard her struggle a bit but there’s been no huge commotion.” He muttered before glancing upright at Eveningstorm, who was staring at his younger brother with such surprise. “Why aren’t you in there?” Eveningstorm questioned while looking through the entrance of the den, peering through the shadows as he could just spot Nettlenose and Willowfur working together through this kitting. “Nettlenose doesn’t want me around.” He muttered softly, looking away from Eveningstorm as he glanced over his shoulder, but it did no good, he couldn’t see in his left eye. “Nettlenose can eat fox dung for all I care, get your ass in that den and tell me how my kits are doing. I’m too large.” Eveningstorm snickered, before he gave Startledcrow a rough shove to the shoulder, making his presence known. “Oof.” He grumbled softly, catching himself before he fell to the ground, giving Nettlenose and Willowfur an apologetic smile before he lowered his chin and picked up the nest before he padded into the den.

Goldenrose had already taken her kits to Wolfstar’s den in order to keep them out of the way. They sure were little pests. Eveningstorm stuck his head within the den, keeping his body positioned to where no one could walk around while his eyes narrowed upon Willowfur. “I’m too big for this den, however I will stay right here and so will Startledcrow.” Eveningstorm meowed, looking at Nettlenose with a pointed look as if daring her to question him. “I need a brother at least present for the birth of my kits.” Eveningstorm sighed, while Startledcrow walked slowly towards Willowfur and Nettlenose with the nest hanging from his chin, keeping his distance so he wasn’t in the way but his blue eyes glittered with interest when the first kit was born, which Nettlenose was currently tending to. Lowering his chin he placed the nest down on the ground before he walked behind Willowfur and licked her forehead while Eveningstorm was blocking the view of the rest of the clan.

Nettlenose
    Participant

After patiently massaging, Nettlenose finally felt the first major spasm of Willowfur’s belly as the first kit decided it was ready to be known to the world. “There we are Willowfur, almost…almost…there!” The medicine cat hummed, unable to keep some excitement from resonating in her soft tone. Her round emerald eyes flickered across the kit, still secure within its sac, which she abandoned her post at the queen’s stomach to nip open. 

The kits pelt was a dark and smooth grey, a color that reminded her all to well of someone, and she knelt her head closer to lick the kits fur the opposite direction, aiding it to take its first few breaths. “Lie your head back down now, you need to focus on the others.” The creamy molly insisted, though she looked up with a joyous smile to her sister’s anxious eyes, her own dancing with delight. “Stormkit seems perfectly healthy.

Nettlenose gently picked the kit up an moved it to Willowfur’s belly so it could nestle its way and begin to feed, giving it crucial strength to make its start in this big new world. She gave a quick, soft prod to the queen’s abdomen to feel the contractions were still occurring. “You’re doing wonderfully Willowfur, lets keep going…” She encouraged her sister. It was then that she picked up on the scents of others, and the sound of them entering the den, her gaze flickering to see Eveningstorm and Startledcrow emerging.

There was no doubt that her fellow healer was angry with her, but he had to know this was partially for his own good. She frowned at his presence, shaking her head a little. The added stress of having the temperamental tom wouldn’t be a good thing if something went wrong with the kitting, but…at least he seemed to be giving Willowfur some comfort. She glanced at Stormkit and then waited patiently for the next ones to come.

Wolfstar
    Participant

When Startledcrow and Eveningstorm stumbled into the den, she didn’t give them one glance. She was in too much pain, her muscles convulsing repeatedly to help her second kit be born. Once it finally slid out onto the nest, she yowled loudly, not caring if she was heard across the moors! The only thing that mattered to her was getting the kits out of her contracting stomach. Willowfur plopped her head down on the ground and began panting with exhaustion. She felt more tired from this than from a battle or chasing after a smart rabbit. When she was able to, Willowfur shakily lifted her head to stare at her first born suckling at her belly already. It was a she-kit! She looked over at Startledcrow and gave him a smile, hoping he saw how much alike he and his daughter looked. But once Nettlenose was finished cleaning her second kit, she purred when her sister placed it beside Stormkit. The second one was a tom and his coat was completely different; a light cream color with different tints throughout. She looked at Startledcrow again with a raspy purr, but he didn’t seem to want to show much affection. He didn’t even bother coming over to her and encouraging her while she was kitting. He just stood in the back beside Eveningstorm with a dumb look on his face. 

She narrowed her eyes and felt disappointed, but didn’t say anything. Wasn’t he pleased with them? Suddenly, another pain coursed through her belly, and she cringed, gritting her teeth together as she anticipated for the third one to come out. However, this pain lasted a lot longer than the others, and she let out another loud yowl. Something was wrong. Her head landed on the ground, her tail lashing as it wouldn’t let up. It was as if a lion was dragging fiery claws down her stomach and ending at the base of her tail. “Somethings….not right….” she panted to Nettlenose, her eyes glittering with pain as she looked at her sister. Along with the pain, she felt fear. Was this kit going to kill her? Was this StarClan’s punishment for her falling in love with a medicine cat? 

With one more agonizing push, the third kit slid weakly out onto the nest with streaks of blood. Willowfur’s eyes were glazed and dotted with black spots from exhaustion and discomfort. “Is it…is it okay?” she whispered, blinking her eyes quickly to get a look at the third kit’s brown tabby fur before her head plopped back onto the nest. 

Feared
    Participant

Nettlenose was using her body to keep the two young lovebirds apart for her birthing, he knew what she was doing. He had caught the expression of unease when he had walked in from the outside world from his mentor, although he was ignoring her entirely as his bright blue eyes were locked upon Willowfur’s face. She was in pain, as was to be expected when Kitting, but everything seemed to be going normally as Nettlenose kneaded on her stomach in order to help the contractions push and pull faster and smoother to give birth. Being taller than his mentor had its advantages, one being that he was peering over her shoulder blade for a brief moment in order to look down upon the kit that was already nestled up against Willowfur’s stomach. A small and very dark grey kit was wiggling against her mother’s fur, eyebrows rising as he realized just how much his young kit looked just like him. However, from his distance he was unable to tell if the kit was male or female, but he did know the name of his kit regardless. Stormkit. Willowfur had been persistent with naming one of their kits Stormkit, as they had discovered that they were to become parents in a raging storm. 

He stood back in order for Nettlenose to continue assisting his mate with her birthing, chin tilting as he noticed that Willowfur was glancing in his direction every now and again. She had no idea how much he wanted to be pressed against and whisper sweet nothings in her ear but Nettlenose and Eveningstorm were keeping him a healthy distance away. As his second kit was being born, he shifted slightly to where he stepped to the side of Nettlenose to peer down at the kit that Nettlenose was peeling away from the sac. His fur was a light cream color with tints of grey shimmering at the ends of his coat. A Tom… and a she-kit! Now he could tell that Stormkit was a female! He smiled softly and looked towards Willowfur and gave her an encouraging smile, chin tilting slightly as Nettlenose once more used her body to shove his back. It was subtle but he got the message as he took a few steps back silently, he was in no mood to argue while his mate was kitting. No need to stress her out. However, once she tried giving birth to the third kit, his heart dropped to his stomach when Willowfur meowed that she could tell something was wrong. Eyebrows furrowing as he looked at his mate, panic was written along her facial features as she stared up at Nettlenose. “What..?” Startledcrow started to move towards Willowfur but Eveningstorm used a large paw and heavy forearm to hold his brother back. “Let Nettlenose work. Don’t stress out Willowfur.” Eveningstorm meowed, while Startledcrow was indeed panicking for his mate and unborn kit. Although Eveningstorm’s and Nettlenose’s presence did help to keep him calm. “A-alright.” Startledcrow stammered, although his eyes were permanently glued onto the ginger colored pelt of his mate. 

Metallic stench of blood soon enveloped his scent glands, pupils narrowing for a moment as Startledcrow tried to push past Eveningstorm’s arm but struggled against the weight of his brother. “I have to make sure she’s alright.” Startledcrow argues, ears pinned back against his head while his wife blue eyes were looking over Willowfur’s face. She was in pain and exhausted, her head falling back against the nest as she had finally given birth to the last of their kits. Although… the little kit within the sac was not moving, not even a single twitch as he silently watched Nettlenose remove the kitten from the sac. “Startledcrow..” Eveningstorm warned softly as the dark grey Tom was able to slip past his brothers defense and moved towards Willowfur and their kit. Lowering his head his blue eyes took in the sight of the blood stained fur and sac of the tiny kitten. He had damp brown tabby fur but his chest was not rising and falling, nor would it ever. Startledcrow knew the signs of a miscarried kit from experience in his line of work. A heavy sigh was released from his throat, shaky and uneven. Was this because he was a medicine cat? Was this StarClan punishing both him and Willowfur for having kits together? Would Willowfur ever forgive him if he was the cause of their dead kit? Slowly he lowered his chin to lick the brown tabby fur of his son, his heart heavy and his eyes watering as he cleaned off the birth matter and the blood. Willowfur needed to see their kit as clean before realizing he was dead. Looking up at Nettlenose, his blue eyes were hard as he dared his mentor to say anything about this being because of their untimely love. Using his shoulder, he gently pushed Nettlenose out of the way as he knew he had to be the one to break the news to Willowfur. 

In his jaws he held the small flank of their third kit, although his eyes were soft they were sad as he gently lowered the kitten by his mates chest. “Willowfur… are you alright?” He asked softly, licking her face over and over again before his nose gently rested against her ear. “I’m so sorry.. I’m… our little Tom didn’t make it.” He whispered softly in her ear, frowning heavily as he lifted his head to give his mate some room to look down at their stillborn. 

Nettlenose
    Participant

Aside from glancing at the two toms as they entered, Nettlenose seemed completely consumed by her work, her mind now swimming with the petty thoughts that Startledcrow must be reading. Ultimately, she didn’t like the mates to be present for kitting in general, but it seemed most of the time she didn’t get her way. With Stormkit born and healthy, she felt some excitement prick at her chest as she felt the next harsh spasm from Willowfur’s belly, indicating that it was time for the second one to arrive…but…something was off.

She sensed her sister’s pain just as the queen let out a rather sharp yowl, her emerald eyes darting to read the queen’s expression, which was contorted in pain, more so than it should be. She felt another spasm, her blood running cold as she feared something wrong would come of this. Willowfur was looking to her now for comfort, for assurance…she had to serve her role, keep her calm, keep her safer that way…

Easy now, Willowfur. Keep your breathing steady, keep going.” She eased, keeping her own tone steady and soothing, though inside her heart was pattering with worry. The scent of blood washed over her like a cruel slap to the face, her whiskers twitching as she dreadfully looked down to where the kit was to come out, to where the blood now soaked the linen and the still kitten had been delivered. A creamy coated tom, just like her mother in a way, which sparked her heart with some hope and joy, but…something still was not right. There was no struggling. There was no tiny cries. There was no movement at all. Only stillness.

In a swift movement, Nettlenose left Willowfur’s stomach and quickly leaned her head down, nipping the sack. The kitten that laid there did not breathe, its chest did not rise with its first taste of life. She urgently began to lick the small kits fur, her tongue rasping rhythmically, as if begging it to move and have its shot at the world. Too distracted to stop Startledcrow from coming over to be with his mate, she somewhat frantically nosed the kit, her own breathing becoming a bit harsh as she tried with desperation to give the kit a heartbeat of its own. Kits were stillborn on a regular basis, but this…this was her kin, her sister’s first litter, Startledcrow’s first litter, their litter. She had loved this kit from the second she knew of it.

Her head hung low, Nettlenose slowly took a step back from the kit, who was simply too far gone. Starclan would have it now. Her mind was buzzing though. What did this mean? Could it be a sign from the omen, had it claimed its first life so soon, such a young and innocent being? With a shaky sigh, she shuddered at the thought of a force of death that would come even for kits, but she couldn’t be sure this was a sign in itself. Perhaps just bad luck. She collected herself at the sound of Startledcrow’s broken voice trying to comfort his mate, worried how Willow’s new stress over this would affect the rest of her kitting.

Willowfur…” Nettlenose said, trying to strain any shakiness from her tone as she looked firmly to her sister. “We have to keep going, I know how tired you are. There’s one more kit to be born.” She said, her stomach twisting. Her poor, sweet sister. She couldn’t imagine the difficulty this must be. None the less, she took her place back at Willowfur’s stomach, ready to help with the next kit. The blood that she had loss was nothing horrible, but she made a mental note to give her something extra to assist in building her strength after this was all over.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp The Desert Storm is Arriving