That Was Unexpected (FosterxCasper)

Forums The Outskirts The Outskirts That Was Unexpected (FosterxCasper)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

~F O S T E R~

The past moon had been a long and busy one for Foster and Casper. Ever since the day Casper slid into Foster with a pathetic look of desperation on his face, the brown-furred rogue had been teaching him the ways of living the rogue and loner life. Every other day, he alternated combat training with hunting and he believed the younger tom would no longer be a danger to himself if he ever went on his own. The two toms had stayed in the abandoned barn where there was an endless supply of lazy, fat mice, but he made sure to test Casper’s new hunting skills in different areas surrounding their home. Even though Foster grew to love the barn, he couldn’t help but feel the tingling in his paws and the tug in his chest on the idea of leaving to travel again. Being with Casper had only been the second time in his life that he settled down for longer than three sunrises, and while it was refreshing, he was also feeling slightly depressed. 

His yellow eyes opened as the morning sun gleamed through the wooden beams above them, shining down on his pelt and warming it. The mornings, evenings, and nights were all warm, thanks to the Greenleaf season, and he loved waking up to the sunshine’s welcoming glow. However, his eyes opened to the same scene he had been looking at for a moon. Casper slept just beside him, leaned up against the part of the wall that still stood. The other side was torn down and opened up to a grassy field speckled with flowers of all different colors. Just beyond that was the large patch of tall grass that hid the clearing he had met his cream-furred friend. Thank goodness we haven’t come across any other rogues that wanted to take over our barn. The moment he smelled the scent of a stranger, he stalked the scent to follow them, making sure they weren’t a threat to him and his training friend. Each time they had been safe. The rogues and loners left them alone, and he wondered if it was because they didn’t know of the infinite amount of mice that swarmed the place. Foster blinked away the sleep in his eyes and lift his head up, his jaws widening in a large yawn. He smacked his lips together before nudging Casper with his front paws, waking him up. “Morning, sunshine,” he grumbled before sitting up in his nest, his muscles shaking as he stretched. 

He looked down at Casper. “What’s today? Combat training? Or was that yesterday….” His eyebrows furrowed together. “No, it’s combat training. We can start later if you want to eat first. I’m going to get a drink of water.” Foster stepped out of his nest and made his way through the meadow towards the stream. While it was a shallow stream, he made sure to stay as far as possible from the bank, stretching his head as far as it could in order to lap up the water. It was cool down his throat, and the taste was clean. Only tiny fish made this stream their home, but Foster was no threat to them. The matted rogue continued lapping up the water, keeping his eyes closed to enjoy the morning. However, when his eyes opened back up, they were met with two other sets of eyes; one green and one blue. Foster stopped drinking and slowly lifted his head with caution. 

A tom and a she-cat were glaring at him from the other side of the stream. The she-cat was all black with eyes the color of the sky. The tom was a brown tabby, like Foster. The she-cat sneered at him and hissed. “What are you doing living in our home?” Her fur spiked up with warning, her claws unsheathing into the pebbly bank of the stream. Foster blinked slowly, hoping Casper would stay out of sight. While he was a lot better than before, he still wasn’t completely ready to fight someone. “In your home? When I moved in there was no scent of other cats. You obviously don’t care enough for it if you didn’t claim it.” The black she-cat scoffed and bared her teeth. “That’s a lie! Now you should leave before we claw you to shreds.”

Feared
    Participant

Casper ~ Rogue

Casper has been sleeping peacefully, his chin was tilted in towards his chest as he subconsciously sought out warmth, little nostrils flaring with each breath. His ear twitched from the sound of Foster waking up, but honestly he really hadn’t heard the other tomcat wake up, not until he was being nudged. “Not until winter.” He groaned softly in annoyance, forepaws shifting against the ground to where he was now covering his muzzle, tucking his head in tighter towards his chest. He half way listened to Foster mumble here and there, that seemed to be their morning routine. Lips pulled back in a small snarl, though no sound escaped his lips as the action was mere annoyance. “Yesterday was hunting.” He grumbled in a sleepy manner, never once opening his blue eyes as he did not want to face the searing light of the morning sun. “Just let me succumb.”  Casper groaned when Foster finally stood up and moved away, his spot in the grass and hay was still warm, causing Casper to shimmy his smaller body into the warm grass with a soft, content sigh. Foster was annoying and was always on his case but he was growing more and more fond of the older tomcat. Foster was beginning to become his safe place. “Mhmmmm.” He mumbled sleepily, waving a forepaw to dismiss his mentor and companion.

His cream and tan fur was ruffled from his sleep, since he was constantly twisting and turning in his sleep. However, the concept of a warm meal within his stomach was enough to arouse the young Tom from his slumber. Groaning all the while as he pushed himself up from his laying position to a sitting position, his head hanging as his chin touched his chest with a soft sigh. “Foster…. I hate mornings.” He groaned, although he had no idea that Foster was no longer paying him any mind, but rather he was tending to their sudden visitors. He waited a moment to hear the usual snip from the tabby but instead he could hear other voices and rather fussy ones at that. Catching his attention, the fur along his spine rose unsteadily as he tried to quietly peek out from around the edge of the broken down barn. Pupils narrowing into slits as he noticed a black she-cat and another tabby that he almost confused as Foster. Although he noticed the pelt was too well groomed to be confused as his friend, his little nose wiggling in silent fear. Why were they here..? Ears laid back flat against his skull, but he could just barely just see Foster, his mentor seemed stiff and his tone of voice held no room for negotiation.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Feared.
    Wolfstar
    Participant

~F O S T E R~

The corner of Foster’s mouth lifted in a smirk, and his yellow eyes rolled with annoyance. “Before you tear me to shreds? You two look like you haven’t eaten in moons while I have been well-fed. You’ll get tired and bore me quickly.” He watched every step of the two stranger’s, paying attention to the area surrounding them, noticing every glance they made with their threatening eyes. The she-cat pounced over the stream with ease despite her thin frame, landing on the pebbly bank. The tom followed her lead, but wasn’t as graceful and he stumbled over a larger rock with a flick of his ears with embarrassment. “Mystic, maybe we should find a new pl-” 

Hush, Jumper!” The she-cat snapped, and the brown tabby fell silent. Mystic stepped closer to Foster with the fur on her spine spiked up. “I don’t need to be well-fed to drive you away from my home!” As quick as lightning, Foster reached forward and slashed his claws on her muzzle as hard as he could. Blood droplets flecked the ground at her side, and she let out a shriek of pain. Without hesitation, he used his strength to swipe her front legs from underneath her, forcing her to crash on the ground with a ‘huff’. He placed his paws on her shoulders, keeping his belly well away from her flinging hind legs. Foster pinned Mystic further into the pebbly ground and her eyes widened with pain as his right paw pressed against her neck with his claws unsheathed, piercing her skin just slightly to instill fear . “There we go,” Foster growled. “Now, as I was saying. This is not your home anymore, understand? You and your friend should leave before I sink my claws further into your neck and Jumper will be all by himself. Got it?” Mystic glared up at Foster for a few moments before she gave him a reluctant nod of her head. 

Mystic! Stop!”

Foster’s ears twitched at the sound of another voice coming from the direction of the barn, but he did not take his eyes away from Mystic. His chest tightened with fear that one of them found Casper in the barn, and he silently hoped his cream-colored friend had the sense to run away and hide until this was all over. Mystic’s expression changed from hatred to worry, but she still did not speak nor take her eyes away from his own. Comfortable with the thought that she understood he meant business, he looked away from her towards the new voice and watched a cream-colored she-cat with black spots along her back run towards them from the entrance of the barn. She was even skinnier than Mystic, and he noticed her legs wobbling with weakness with each pawstep she took. There was something very familiar about her, but he could have sworn he had never seen her before. “Stop! I smell him! He might be around here somewhere!”

Mystic turned her head to watch the other she-cat running towards them as if she didn’t notice that one of her friend’s was being pinned by a larger, fiercer tom. “Don’t come any closer, Luna! He’s dangerous!” Mystic looked back up at Foster. “Don’t hurt her. She’s new to our group and doesn’t know how to fight or hunt. If you let us go then we will leave you alone.” Foster stepped off of Mystic and looked at the new she-cat. Luna. Where have I heard that name before? Luna glanced shyly at Foster, but didn’t hesitate to speak. “I’m sorry we’re bothering you, passer-byer, but I scented someone I know in your barn. Are you traveling with someone?

Feared
    Participant

Casper ~ Rogue

His little ears instantly flung to the back of his head as he continued to watch the black she-cat and her brown tabby companion, eyebrows furrowing slightly as he tried to peek his head around the wooden mast in order to find Foster. Although he was worried about exposing himself and posing a threat to himself but guilt was gnawing at his stomach. Foster shouldn’t have to face them alone! He wasn’t the greatest fighter but Foster was taking the time to teach him and he knew a few things here and there. Chewing on his lower lip he watched as this so called Mystic snarled at Foster before she jumped over the stream and landed with ease. Oh shit… Fosters goner. Casper thought worriedly, his paws itching for him to meet the older tom, but he noticed how still and calm Foster appeared. Chewing on his lower lip as anxiety clawed at his chest, lowering his smaller cream and tan colored pelt to the ground as he huddled close against the mast. Jumper and Mystic appeared to be a scary crew, but Foster was remaining calm and for whatever reason… it helped ease Casper’s nerves. Perhaps it wasn’t such a bad thing that Foster was a great fighter, his blue eyes widening when Foster pinned Mystic down upon the pebbles of the stream with ease. Yes! Claw her, Foster! Casper smiled as he watched the older Tom, his tail curling up with satisfaction that Foster hadn’t been hurt and could possibly drive these two loons away from their barn.

Casper suddenly jumped from fright when a voice suddenly spoke not too far from his hiding spot, he was so rattled that he didn’t even register who the voice belonged to. He had been so focused on Foster and the two other felines that he had failed to notice that there was a third! Cursing himself he huddled closer into the shadows while peeking out as the feline walked out of another exit point of the barn, but he found himself raising a single brow in confusion as he dumbfoundedly stared at none other than his sister, Luna! Casper was frozen in his hiding place for a moment, his blue eyes flickering towards Jumper and Mystic in confusion and worry before he slowly stepped out from his hiding place, ears still flat against his head. “L-Luna?” Casper finally spoke, his growing frame slunk from the shadows as his cream and tan colored pelt finally came into view. His bright aqua blue eyes narrowed as he looked back towards Foster, who appeared as confused as he was. “Foster, this is Luna, my sister!” Casper grew a bit more confident from the presence of his sister as he walked towards the she-cat. What was she doing here? Only males were cast out of the family group, why was she out here with these strangers? “What are you doing here? Is Dom with you?” He questioned hesitantly, their father was the one that had enforced that he leave and honestly he was a nervous wreck thinking about confronting their father. Was this a trap? The sudden thought caused the tomcat to slow his pace towards Luna, gazing at her in a concerned fashion. She was far too thin for his memory to serve, she was even skinnier than he was now! “Are you okay?” Casper finally asked, instantly dismissing his previous questions like the worried brother he was.

Wolfstar
    Participant

~F O S T E R~

Foster opened his mouth to reply to Luna, wanting to tell her he was alone in case this she-cat was looking for Casper to kill him, but then the sound of his friend came from the edge of the barn. Casper’s face was lit up and his eyes were warm with delight at the sight of Luna, and Foster found himself relaxing in the presence of the others, although he still eyed Mystic. The black she-cat returned his gaze only to shrug her shoulders. His sister! Foster smiled at Casper. No wonder the name Luna sounded so familiar to him, and she even looked like her brother save for the black spots along her spine. Luna gleamed at the sight of her brother, and she bounded forward as well, only to stop when he slowed his own pace. She frowned and looked down at the ground with shame. “Humans came by the night you were banished and snatched everyone up except for me. I was able to hide so they didn’t find me. Dom was…fighting them too much and one of the humans…” Her voice wavered. “I tried to save him, Casper, I did! But the wound was too big and there was so much blood…I have never seen so much blood before.” Her words were now sobs. “They left him on the side of the road, they didn’t even take him to get healed like they did with Anna. These humans weren’t as nice as others we’ve seen.” 

Foster listened to Luna’s story with a heavy heart. Mystic had no expression on her face, but Jumper watched Luna with his eyes full of sympathy and love. The brown tabby padded forward until he stood beside Luna, pressing his pelt against her own to calm her down. Foster could tell she was slightly shaky as she relived the night she lost her whole family. What a horrible thing to go through…watching your whole family be taken from you like that. Foster padded away from Mystic’s side and made his way towards Casper, hoping his friend was alright. Luna looked up at Jumper with a grateful expression before stepping up to press her nose against Casper’s neck. “I’m so glad you’re okay, Casper. I’ve been trying to find you ever since that day. I ran into Jumper and Mystic a few sunrises after it happened and they let me join them. Jumper and I are now mates.” Foster looked at the brown tabby with a raised eyebrow. Jumper seemed more like a runner than a fighter, and he had a feeling Luna fell in love with the first tom she saw outside of their little community. 

Foster stepped forward and looked at all three of them. “Why don’t you all stay with us in the barn? There’s plenty of mice, as you know, and you look like you need meals. Casper and I will hunt for you while you gather some grass for your nests, and then we’ll take about everything over a meal. How does that sound?” Foster placed a tail on Casper’s shoulder and tilted his head as he looked at him with sympathy. “It’ll give you some time to soak it in before you talk about it.” Mystic scoffed behind him and murmured, “You mean our barn.” But Jumper nodded gratefully to Foster. “That sounds good to us. Thank you.”

Feared
    Participant

Casper ~ Rogue Mystic ~ Rogue

Honestly… he wasn’t sure what he thought about everything. His blue eyes were trained on his sister’s face as she tried to hold herself together long enough to explain that the eve of his leave, humans had attacked their family group. He blinked slowly and looked down towards the ground for a moment, blinking slowly at the fact that their whole community had been wiped out. Dom was dead? He did look up at that, and even though he had been so mad at his father for kicking him out, he had respected the dark brown and cream tomcat. “All of them?” He muttered in a soft voice as he looked at his sister, while Mystic scoffed somewhere behind Foster. “Is that not what she said?” Which of course she gathered dirty looks from her comrades before she rolled her blue eyes. Casper wasn’t paying her any attention, he hadn’t even really noticed when Jumper had suddenly appeared at Lunas side, comforting his sister. Slowly he lifted his head for a moment as he gave a seldom nod before he noticed that Foster was walking towards him. In a way he needed the closeness of his growing bond with the older male, and again he just wanted to be left alone. While he had been gazing at Foster, he blinked in surprise when he felt the soft touch of his sister press her nose into the fur of his neck. He hadn’t really noticed how much he had missed her, they were litter mates and until yesterday he thought he would never see her again. “I’m so sorry that you were so alone.” He muttered with a frown, before his eyes flickered towards Jumper. Casper didn’t know what he thought of the other tomcat but he was grateful that he had looked after his sister. “Thank you, both of you,” He paused to looked at Mystic, who smirked slightly, “for caring for Luna.” He nodded.

Casper was wordlessly grateful when Foster stepped up to speak to the rest of the group, while he was having a hard time keeping his emotions leashed in. As Fosters tail laid across his shoulders, he gave a small nod and looked at his mentor and friend. “Yeah.. yeah that sounds good.” He mumbled softly, looking briefly at his sister but he couldn’t bring himself to smile. Instead he walked slowly past the felines towards the barn once more, his paws feeling heavier than they had before. His family hadn’t been great or really anything to feel this way, but they had been his family. Once he was in the barn and away from prying eyes, his emotions got the best of him as his eyes began to water up as he hiccuped towards a mass of hay. All of them. Casper couldn’t help but feel selfish, grateful that he hadn’t been there. Dom was a tough tomcat and if he hadn’t survived, there wouldn’t have been any hope for himself. Luckily his heart was broken from the death of Luna, but he found it still hard to cope with. Mystic had watched the young Tom walk away with shock clearly written all over his face, she couldn’t blame him, but she did at the same time. “Aw, Luna. Your brother is a softy like you.” She snickered in a sickly sweet tone, as her blue eyes dragged towards Jumper and Luna. The two appeared so lovey-dovey that it was actually sickening, shivering out of disgust she scrunched her nose up at her companions. “Come on, love birds. Softy and Grouch are gonna hunt for mice in our,” She stressed with a flash of her tail, “barn. So we may as well make nests.” She shrugged her slim shoulders, her skinny figure padding forth as she used her teeth to pluck at the tall grass.

Wolfstar
    Participant

~F O S T E R~

Foster narrowed his eyes at Mystic as she spat a taunt Casper’s way, and he quickly pulled in front of her to block her view of the barn and Casper. “He’s not soft. I think I already made it clear that this is my barn now. I’ve claimed it, and beat you for it so I suggest being grateful you’re not sleeping hungry tonight,” he growled. Luna stepped between the two, her ears flattening to the back of her head as she looked up at the large rogue. “We are grateful. She’s just grumpy from hunger. We’ll gather some grass and feathers for our nest and then meet you back up there.” She gave Foster a small smile, her blue eyes sparkling, and he found himself relaxing under her pleading stare before stepping away and moving towards the barn. Casper’s shoulders were slumped and his tail hung low to the ground, but he traveled quickly to get to the safety of their home, and he disappeared behind the crumbling walls. Foster picked up his pace to catch up to him, wanting to be there for his friend if he needed it. 

Once he was inside, he noticed Casper’s head was lowered as his shoulders shook with either hiccups or sobs. The brown tabby frowned and padded up to Casper’s side. “I’m so sorry for your loss, Casper. I know you have a tough relationship with them, but they were still your family. However…” He hesitated a little. Should he tell Casper what he knew? “I don’t believe your family is dead. I mean, your sister said she saw your father die, but she also said that the Twol-humans captured the rest of your family. I’ve heard quite a few stories about captured cats and they don’t end up dead. They end up in this big room that has multiple cages with one cat in each. The humans feed them and give them water until another human comes to take them to their den to live. I had a…friend…who was captured and this happened to her as well.” Foster placed a tail over Casper’s spine in comfort, leaning his head down so he could look his friend in the eyes. “We can try to find them, Casper.”

Down the hill, Luna stared up at the barn as Jumper and Mystic gathered the grass. She had her own grass pile in front of her paws, but it was measly compared to theirs. She felt pulled to go up to see if Casper was okay, but there was something different about him. He wasn’t as fragile as she remembered him being, and she wondered if she seemed different to him too. Foster was unlike someone she had ever met. He seemed loyal to her brother even though he probably could have sent him away to fend for himself. He looked like he could kill most cats with one swipe of his paw, yet there was a sweetness to him that was rare in passer-byers. “The quicker we gather grass, the quicker we’ll get to eat,” Jumper meowed softly in her ear. “I don’t know about you, but I could eat fifteen mice.” He let out a lighthearted purr and nudged her neck with his nose to urge her to continue. Luna sighed and gave him a smile, helping them gather some more grass. She glanced at Mystic as she pulled out another couple blades. “I know you used to live here, Mystic, but can you try and stay on their good side? I haven’t seen my brother in awhile, and I don’t want Foster forcing us to leave.” She pulled out some more blades. 

Feared
    Participant

Mystic felt her eyes narrow as she watched Foster turned abruptly, silently surprised that he had heard her but she stayed her ground. The fur along her scruff was standing upright and it took a lot of self control to keep her upper lip from curling back, dark blue eyes glaring into the tattered face of Foster. Although she didn’t protest when Luna stood between them, the little she-cat seemed to slowly becoming the groups voice of reason when it came to both Mystic and Jumper. She smirked slightly when Foster calmed down in Luna’s presence, pupils narrowing slightly as Foster turned and began to walk back up the hill to follow after Casper, whom was now completely out of sight. “I could have taken him on… again.” She muttered softly, moving to where she was now plucking grass from the ground. Casper wasn’t surprised when Foster appeared, but he was a bit rattled from his sisters sudden appearance and the news of his former family. Shifting slightly to where he slowly roamed his nose against his shoulder, keeping it was running snot while he sniffled. He listened to Foster as the Tom spoke, causing Casper to shift just a bit closer to his friend. He frowned slightly in confusion with what Foster was proposing, moving to where he was now sitting and considered what his friend was saying. “Do… do you think it would be possible to help them?” He asked in a rather small voice, suddenly this whole situation felt so much bigger than he was. Ears laid back against his head as he gazed at Foster but suddenly he felt anxious about the answer that would be given and this caused him to shake his head and give a hesitant smile. “No.. that… Luna needs something to eat.” He nodded to himself and brushed against Foster in a sign of friendly affection before he slowly trotted deeper into the barn in search of mice.

Mystic on the other hand was brooding to herself over the fact that she had been pinned so easily by the old brute. It’s only because you are so hungry and weak. Her inner voice chimed, trying to help calm her temper. Jumper was being more annoying than usual since he knew of the prospect of food, although he was constantly jumping back and forth between herself and Luna. She was good friends with Jumper but she didn’t like him romantically and perhaps that was what drew him towards Luna, she was naive and latched onto Jumper without question. “Yes… food.” Mystic agreed with Jumper, dark blue eyes lifting as she gazed at the exterior of the barn for a moment before Luna’s sudden voice caught her attention. Mystic instantly rolled her eyes and set down her pile, long tail waving angrily behind her. “Excuse me. My home was just taken and I’m starving. I have a right to be cranky. Also.” She pauses and looked up at the barn before looking back at Luna. “Why do we need to bother with your brother? We could just go to the coast like we talked about.” Mystic coaxed softly as she gazed at Jumper, hoping he would help plead her case.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Feared.
    Wolfstar
    Participant

~F O S T E R~

Foster frowned when Casper padded away from him without giving him a chance to reply. There was something they could do; rescue them. He was sure they would be able to find a friendly rogue that lived near where Casper and Luna’s family used to live who knew where those kinds of humans took captured cats. However, his cream-colored friend didn’t seem ready to think of something like that, so Foster kept quiet. Maybe if he found time alone with Luna and told her of the possibility, she would be able to talk her brother into rescuing their family before they were taken to a new Twoleg home. Foster sighed and moved to the other side of the barn quietly, listening intently to the mice that skittered behind the hay piles and old, worn-down wood stacks. The first mouse he saw practically ran into his claws, and he killed it swiftly without it warning the others of his presence. It wasn’t long before he caught three more, their bodies fat and juicy. He grabbed all four of them by the tails and he padded towards the center of the barn close to where he and Casper slept.

The sun beat down on Luna’s back as she stood in place, her muscles tightening with tension at Mystic’s suggestion. “My brother is not a bother.” Jumper blinked and pressed against his mate’s side. “I’m sure she didn’t mean he’s a bother,” he shot Mystic a look. “But I think she’s saying that we should stick with our plan. Maybe rest here for a night and then go our own ways. We could ask your brother if he want’s to come or not, but I agree we should keep going to the coast.” Luna separated her coat from Jumper’s and her eyes narrowed. “Fine, you two go on ahead to the coast, but I’m staying here with the only family I have left! You don’t need me anyways; I just slow you down and you both know that. You haven’t known me long…” Her shoulders shrugged and Jumper stepped forward to protest, but she turned away from the both of them, picking up her small grass pile before making her way towards the barn. 

Foster looked down the hill and noticed Luna was coming up to the barn with an angered expression, and he chewed his bottom lip before turning to Casper who was finished hunting himself. “Everyone is a little tense tonight I guess,” he meowed. “Maybe feeding them will give them happier attitudes. I think it’s best that you and I switch off staying watch when we sleep. Not that I’m saying your sister will do anything,” he meowed, before Casper would become defensive. “But I don’t completely trust Mystic or Jumper yet. Neither of us know who they are and Mystic has this way about her that just…makes my blood boil. I can take first watch.” Foster snapped his mouth shut when Luna appeared, her angered expression softening at the sight of Casper, and then brightening at the sight of food. “Oh, thank goodness,” she meowed, her voice muffled from the grass pile. She dropped it all and then padded towards her brother. “You turned out to be quite a hunter! I’m proud of you, brother. Maybe you can teach me too.”

Feared
    Participant

Mystic sighed slightly for a moment when Lunas blue eyes instantly flared, the molly had to force herself not to roll her own blue eyes but instead she held her look. Her left ear twitched with annoyance when Jumper came to her rescue, upper lip twitching with distain as Jumper’s interference between the two mollies was beginning to grate of her nerves. A scoff quickly overtook her muzzle when Jumper shot her a look, lips parting as she was fixing to argue her case but the tomcat was already speaking sweetly to his new mate. Mystic could understand what Jumper was saying but she found her deep blue eyes flickering towards that of the barn. She didn’t believe that Casper would leave easily, he was rather attached to that big fella. Big, ugly fella. She snickered to herself, but honestly if Foster cleaned up, perhaps he wouldn’t be bad looking. Although she didn’t get to process that thought as Luna’s voice caught her attention, eyes moving towards the young she-cats face as she clearly appeared pissed off from the two of them ganging up against her. “I don’t know why she wanted to find him so bad.” Mystic whispered as she stood closer to Jumper, eyebrows furrowing as she watched Luna March angrily towards the barn. “Maybe we could invite them along to the coast… I don’t like it but I don’t like seeing your face drag the ground.” Mystic muttered to Jumper, noticing his distraught expression from Luna’s reaction. Smirking slightly, she collected her pile of grass and began to stalk her way up to the barn, leaving Jumper to his thoughts.

Casper had little problem with catching the fat mice within the barn, they were practically so fat that they were slow! Although, he had improved since Foster had found him in the woods, he still had a long way to go before he was as good as Foster. One, Two….. six. He counted, looking down at the pile of mice he hand managed to catch before he noticed that Foster had found his way back towards him. “Well I have plenty of mice…” He trailed off when Foster spoke over him to explain that they should take turns with watching over the group at night, this did caught his fur to become ruffled but Foster quickly explained himself. Blue eyes blazing for a moment before he turned his chin and glanced outside of the barn. Luna appeared mad, causing his expression to soften with worry for his sister before he noticed that Mystic and Jumper were making their way back up the slope as well. He agreed that he didn’t trust Mystic or Jumper yet, but he couldn’t help but glance at Foster and grin slightly. “She’s tough like you.” Casper gently bumped his shoulder against Fosters before he shifted slightly to where he bent down and picked up a mouse and began to trot towards Luna so she didn’t have to walk too far. He dropped the mouse at her paws and found himself smiling as he lowered himself beside her. “Foster taught me. I’m not the best, I still haven’t caught a rabbit.” He admitted.

Casper leaned towards Luna as he began to clean her dusty pelt, being on the trails made it difficult to clean yourself regularly.. at least that was Fosters excuse. “You all are free to the mice. They are for everyone.” Casper used his brown muzzle to point in the direction of the pile. “If you want another mouse I can get it for you.” Casper mumbled in between licks as he cleaned his sisters pelt. Mystic dropped her pile of grass as her deep blue eyes found the mound of mice that had been caught between the two tomcats, her stomach growling painfully. When was the last time she had a decent meal? Slowly she moved towards the mice, Mystic wasn’t one for charity but with her thin frame and weakened state, she really couldn’t complain. As she walked past Foster, she couldn’t help the smirk that rose along her lips, he was too easily stirred. “Looks like you aren’t a bad hunter, after all, Scruffy.” The black furred she-cat picked up a plump mouse, turning to walk away as her tail flicked against Foster’s muzzle. Anything to annoy him. Smiling to herself, she walked towards the shadows before she lowered herself to enjoy her first meal in days.

Wolfstar
    Participant

Jumper’s eyebrows furrowed with sympathy as he watched Luna trek up the hill to the barn, feeling helpless. There has to be some way we can make this all work. If Casper had been alone then it would have been much easier, he thought. It would have been even easier if Luna hadn’t found her brother in the first palce! For a while, it was just him and Mystic traveling from one place to the other with him following her blindly and pining after her like she was a gift from the sky. It was clear Mystic didn’t feel the same way, and it was hard to be around someone that didn’t care much for him other than as a friend, but when Luna stumbled into them with an innocent and sweet look he quickly jumped on the opportunity to finally have a mate. She wasn’t near as tough as Mystic, or as intelligent, but at least she didn’t look at him with distaste when he pressed against her side. Jumper narrowed his eyes and grabbed his own grass pile before bounding up the hill after the two she-cats. If things were to get better, Foster would have to agree to leave. And if Foster didn’t want to leave… 

Luna turned her head when she heard Mystic pad in followed by Jumper. She had hoped her mate would have been on her side, but it was clear he stood by Mystic’s decisions. As always. Luna swiveled her head back towards Casper and gave him a grateful smile as he cleaned her pelt. She was not used to having dirt and twigs tangled in her coat like this. The she-cats where they came from were looked after and well cared for, needing to look beautiful and sweet in order to have a tom notice them so they could provide kits. After bumping into Jumper and Mystic, she was instantly drawn to the tabby tom because he called her beautiful even with a dirty coat. It had to be true love, right? It would be a wonderful story to tell their kits someday. Without waiting one more second, Luna grabbed one of the mice and sunk her teeth into it, a purr rumbling in her chest at the amazing flavor. “Thank you, Casper, Foster,” she muffled through mouse meat. 

Foster smiled at Casper’s sister and dipped his head. “Of course, Luna. Like Casper said, have as many as you want.” He waited for the other’s to grab some food before he dug in, wanting the starving cats to have first pick. At Mystic’s taunt, he narrowed his eyes and flicked his tail indignantly. “You…you’re just….displeasing,” he grumbled at her. How annoying to provide food and shelter only to be called names. Foster looked down at his coat and noticed he had quite a few twigs tangled in his chest fur. Casper used to clean his pelt, but then got tired of constantly pulling the filth out. Only once did his cream-colored friend beg Foster to dip in the stream to get a good rinse, but that conversation ended with Foster yelling and almost having a panic attack. “Maybe I like being dirty to deter cats like you away from me.

Feared
    Participant

*Next morning!*

Casper was currently leaning up against the worn out post of the barn wall, his chin tilted away from the outside world as his eyes kept flickering towards Luna. His sister had seemed troubled last night but she hadn’t muttered anything last night while he had cleaned her cat but her belly was full and that was a relief. She was too skinny, much skinnier than he was, clearly the food was hard to find where they had come from. Slowly his clear blue gaze landed on the brown tabby pelt of Jumper, his brown nose twitching with thought. He wasn’t sure what he thought about his sister already having a mate, but he really didn’t know the tomcat and wasn’t even sure how he was supposed to react around him. Luna seemed to care for Jumper, but Casper wasn’t so sure himself, the customs of his family group had been so different than that to the rest of the world. He hadn’t noticed that Mystic was already awake, her deep blue eyes watching the young tomcat as he studied Jumper and Luna. Casper just appeared to be a naive kitten to her, and honestly Luna wasn’t much different. She didn’t like strangers, she barely allowed Jumper to tag along with her when he was need, but perhaps their friendship had softened her perspectives. Only a tad though. She was no fool, she knew how Jumper felt for her but she was hoping that Luna could please his needs. Was that selfish?

Slowly Mystic pushed her tall and slim body up from her grass nest, stretching out her body and sighing softly as her back gave a soft pop. Casper noticed her movements and couldn’t help himself as he glanced at Mystic, he had never really seen a she-cat like her. She oozed confidence and she wasn’t someone he would have wanted to confront. None of the she-cat within his family were like that, they were soft spoke and tender, but whatever it was, she was attractive physically of course but he was too young to really feel anything like that towards her. “Morning.” He meowed quietly so he didn’t wake the others, he would hate to wake Foster up after being up half of the early morning keeping watch. Mystic padded towards Casper for a moment, chin tilting as her deep blue eyes studied his innocent expression but before Casper could question her she gave a small shrug. “Mhm. Well since you are up so early, why don’t you accompany me to the stream?” She questioned quietly, arching a kitty brow in his direction before she walked past him and slithered into the sunlight. Casper felt himself stiffen at her proposal, glancing over his shoulder to see that everyone was still sleeping. “Oh, come on. Scruffy will watch over them.” Mystic called over her shoulder as she continued to move gracefully down the hill, leaving Casper to chew on his lower lip as he quickly followed after Mystic. His curiosity getting the best of him.

She smiled to herself when she heard the sound of foot steps behind her as Casper hurried after her. “So, how long have you and Scruffy been staying at the barn?” Mystic finally spoke, moving closer to the stream as she lowered her head and began to lap at the cold water, eyes closing in bliss while her ears flipped backward to hear Casper. Casper hesitated with answering her question but he slowly shrugged. “For a month or so… ever since I ran into Scru- Foster.” He caught himself, cheeks burning with shame of nearly calling his friend by the nickname given by Mystic. However, Mystic was smiling broadly as she waded into the stream, it wasn’t very deep, knee deep at the best. Cold water nipped at her skin but she didn’t mind, she preferred it to the heat of the summer morning. “No wonder you are so plump.” She teased, but Casper was staring at her in surprise when she laid down in the water, her fur plastered to her skinny body. “I’m… I’m sorry.” He stubbled with his words and looked away from her while Mystic gazed at him, he was so innocent. Like his sister. “No reason to be sorry, the traveling trails can be plentiful with food or nuisances.” She sighed and leaned back to where she was laying on her side, the water smoothly rippling over her black side and stomach. “The… place of my birth was very fond of water. Besides it is hot already today.” She explained while Casper slowly relaxed, but he noticed that Mystic was studying him again. “Luna has been looking tirelessly for you, for a whole month. We were heading to the coast… food there is plentiful this time of year.” She explained while Casper listened quietly, unsure of what she was trying to say. “Luna will not leave here without you, but I’ve grown rather fond of your sister.” She lied slightly, in truth she liked Luna, but she needed Luna to get Jumper off her back. “The mice are plentiful but the fish at the coast are much more tasty.” Mystic purred at the thought of it, noticing how curious Casper appeared. “Perhaps, you and your… friend would like to join us?” Mystic questioned while Casper hesitated and shrugged, looking away from the she-cat. He was unsure if Foster would travel with them, he didn’t want to lose Luna against but he also couldn’t bring himself to leave Foster behind. “I don’t know…” He mumbled while Mystic hummed softly. “You can talk it over with him, it’s only a thought.” She kept her tone soft, playing with his mind was too easy, perhaps she could just go on her own… but she was growing used to having company.

Wolfstar
    Participant

~F O S T E R~

Sunlight splashed across Foster’s face as the morning sun rose into the sky, forcing him to wake earlier than he wanted. A groan escaped his lips as he rolled over in his nest to lay on his side, facing away from the bright light. He would have drifted back off to sleep if he hadn’t scented that Casper wasn’t near him anymore, and he resentfully blinked open his yellow eyes to look around. Casper was not watching guard anymore, and Mystic seemed to be gone as well. Foster stopped mid yawn when he noticed Jumper was glaring at him from the other side of the barn. He was huddled against Luna who was still sleeping peacefully. What’s his problem? He looked away, lifting his nose to scent out the direction his friend had gone. “They went to the stream for a drink of water,” Jumper suddenly meowed, still glaring at him. Foster grunted. Maybe I should check on them to make sure Casper is okay… However, the way Jumper was looking at him made him stay in the barn with curiosity, and he turned towards the other tom with his head tilted to the side. “Did I do something to you to make you glare at me like that while I sleep?” He asked inquisitively. 

Jumper looked at Luna hesitantly before slowly getting out of the nest they shared, being careful so as not to wake her. Once he was in front of Foster and more out of Luna’s earshot, he sat down. “I finally have a mate to love and care for, and I don’t want to lose her now. I fear that she won’t leave Casper if he decides to stay here with you. That’s a problem for me.” Foster raised an eyebrow at Jumper. For a seemingly flighty tom, it appeared he decided to grow some audacity. When did the other’s get the idea that Foster would want to stay here forever anyways? Did he or Casper say anything about staying put and forcing Luna to stay as well? Foster rolled his eyes and turned away from Jumper, stepping out of his grassy nest towards the entrance of the barn. “Looks like you need to sort out your problems then, my friend.” What a loser. No wonder I don’t like traveling with others. Besides being with Casper, every time he decided to be with other felines there was always drama that seemed to appear out of nowhere, and that was always unpleasant for him. 

Jumper watched Foster pad away with his blood beginning to boil out of anger. He needed to do something about Foster soon, and the other’s couldn’t be around to see it. “Jumper?” The brown rogue flipped around to see Luna blinking open her blue eyes as she woke. I will not let you leave me, he thought. I will not let that happen.

As soon as Foster was down the hill, he glanced back at the barn with unease. Jumper was the kind of cat that Foster didn’t like. He seemed small and weak at first, but then grew a different personality over time, and cats like that were fake to Foster. They usually weren’t good either. Foster continued down the hill until he caught sight of Casper and Mystic in the stream, but he stopped in his tracks at the sight of Mystic getting out of the water with the fur plastered to her body. He blinked a few times, surprisingly a little mesmerized, then shook his head to clear it before continuing on. “Glad to see you are enjoying your time here,” he murmured, his eyes narrowing at the black she-cat. He stopped at Casper’s side. “I’m in the mood for something other than mouse if either of you want to join me. I didn’t ask Jumper but from the way he’s been looking at me I don’t think he would want to join. What do you guys say?”

Feared
    Participant

Mystic slowly pushed herself up from the stream, the cold water dripping off of her pelt at a rapid speed. Although she was skinny from not getting fed regularly, she still had a fair amount of muscle along her back and shoulders. She smelled him before she saw him, black nostrils flaring slightly as she caught the scent of Foster, breathing in what smelled like chocolate to her. Sweet and heavenly. Blinking out of her gaze, her deep blue eyes lifted and caught sight of the messy furred brown tabby heading down towards them, his yellow eyes narrowed with an unreadable emotion. “Looks like Scruffy came to join us.” She mused, chin tilting slightly as she watched the massive Tom curiously. He wasn’t the most handsome tomcat, but he was gruff and that was attractive. Of course, his pelt was messy but maybe if it was well groomed he would be considered handsome. Casper blinked when Mystic spoke, chin snapping to look over his shoulder as his blue eyes brightened. “Morning, Foster!” He called out, seeming pleased that his fiend was now present. Mystic was surprised that Casper hadn’t scented Foster but she supposed that scenting and tracking hadn’t been added into his training. “If I stick around, I’ll teach ya how to scent and track.” Mystic smiled at Casper, gently bumping his shoulder blade as she walked out of the stream. She felt cooled down from the heat, her blue eyes slowly roaming up towards the barn as Foster spoke.

So, Jumper is showing his true colors. She thought silently, now knowing that Foster’s emotion was annoyance and perhaps anger towards her comrade. Honestly she couldn’t blame him, Jumper was annoying and always got on her last nerve, but she couldn’t seem to get rid of him… perhaps with Luna now she could. Although, she did feel strange doing so, Luna and Casper were sweet and innocent. She blinked out of her thoughts when Casper lightly bumped her shoulder blade back, his grin wide as he looked at Foster. “Yes! Maybe I can try catching a rabbit!” Casper beamed at the thought while his clear blue eyes quickly looked at Mystic. “You’ll come with us won’t you…?” Casper asked, although he didn’t fully trust the black molly, he was becoming more and more fond of her. Mystic blinked in surprise for a moment before she gave Casper a small smile before giving Foster a smirk. “Wouldn’t miss it.” She snickered as she brushed past Foster, her tail held high while Casper couldn’t help the small giggle. “She’s funny.” Casper muttered as he pushed Foster to follow the she-cat.

Wolfstar
    Participant

~F O S T E R~

Foster looked at Casper with surprise as well, wondering why he wanted Mystic to come along so badly. He knew he asked if she wanted to join them, but Casper seemed to really hope for it. It was hard for him to understand why anyone would want to be around someone who was as grumpy as she, but it was too late now: she agreed to come along. Foster gave her an annoyed look when she called him ‘Scruffy’ again, feeling a little self-conscious about his dirty and tangled pelt. Next time it rained, he needed to suck it up and stand outside until his pelt was soaked so it was easier to clean. When Casper bumped against his shoulder, he smirked at him and rolled his eyes. “Huh, I don’t remember her making any jokes, but whatever.” He tapped Casper’s flank with his tail in a friendly manner and bounded forward to catch up to the black she-cat. They were heading towards the direction of where the large group of cats were, but the moors and forest they were able to see was still quite a ways away. “I don’t know if you’ve ever hunted moor rabbit, but they taste a lot better than meadow rabbits. I thought about traveling to the moors over there, but it’s about half a day’s walk and I’m not sure I’m craving them that much. Besides, I hear there are cats there.” 

Foster fell into step beside Mystic, giving her a sideways glance. “Have you come across them? The cats, I mean. Apparently there’s a large group of them and they don’t allow others in their ‘territory’ or whatever.” How lame to be closed off from the rest of the world. Foster couldn’t imagine living in such a closed area, unable to venture out and feel the breeze of the mountains that were so close to them. “I’ve always dreamed of going up the mountains, but the best way is on the other side of the moors, which means I would have to cross their territory. If they’re not friendly then I would have to really plan the best way to get to the top without being caught.” 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Outskirts The Outskirts That Was Unexpected (FosterxCasper)