Thank You (Evening and Desert)

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp Thank You (Evening and Desert)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Feared
    Participant

Eveningstorm ~ WindClan Warrior

A full day had passed since the battle of all five clans, and the atmosphere within the camp was rather stale. Everyone was exhausted and in pain from their injuries. His younger brother, Startledcrow, was currently the only medicine cat within WindClan and he was working overtime. Eveningstorm’s own wounds were not dire enough to keep his quarantined to the medicine cat den but he could just make out a few pelts that were. Falconpaw’s dark striped pelt being one of the few that he could just barely make out through the shadows of the den. Even the shadows were moving, telling him that Startledcrow was up and moving throughout the den. Giving his pink nose a wiggle, the massive tomcat looked away from the den and allowed his dark molten amber gaze to slowly roam that of camp. Wolfstar had lost a life and was currently recuperating within the leaders den, the sun had not yet fully risen but he could instantly spot Goldenrose’s white and rose gold speckled pelt as she slipped from the warriors den with a limp in her step. Thick cobwebs were wrapped around her shoulder blades, running down into the length of her chest. Her wounds had been deep and painful from the look he had gotten yesterday after the battle, she had lost a lot of blood. Pantherstorm had been the cause of such wounds, his nostrils flaring at the thought of the now dead RiverClan Warrior. What a waste of breath. He thought will an ill mannered tone, flicking his ear.

Suddenly he winced as he was once again reminded of the dull ache on top of his head, from where Roseshadow had so graciously chewed upon his ear. She had ripped off the tip of his ear and he had a few bite sized holes that went all the way through his ear. When it would be healed he had no doubt that someone could see the sky through them. Whiskers pulled back in annoyance as he thought back to the battle, his long and slightly fluffy tail rattling behind him before he released a sigh. He noticed that he had been staring at the warriors den, of course he knew why. Desertrose. He thought back to the deputy, she had saved his ear from total annihilation, not to mention that she had given Roseshadow a fairly well deserved beating if he could say so. Although, he couldn’t forget the feeling he had felt within his chest the whole time while she was out of sight. Slowly he swallowed the memory and allowed himself to take in a rather deep breath, he had yet to thank Desertrose for saving his ear and rear end.

Ears stood up somewhat when he caught movement at the entrance of the den, pushing himself from his still stance to where he was now slowly walking towards the warriors den. Desertrose was just slipping out of the den and stretching her slender body, which was quite the distraction as he found himself peeling his eyes away from her curved back and clearing his throat as he looked towards the heavens. She would be the death of him. “Excuse me, Desertrose.” His deep voice slithered out of his mouth like velvet, chin tilting as his eyebrows pulled together. The muscular cat wasn’t the greatest when it came to thanking someone, but he had a rough idea of what he needed to say. “I just wanted to thank you yesterday during the battle. That black furred molly nearly chewed off my ear if it hadn’t been for you.” He finally smiled, it was crooked and only reached one eye but it was his smile. “Is there anyway I can repay the favor?” Eveningstorm questioned, he wasn’t one to take these gestures lightly.

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

The battle had expectedly left Desertrose worn and tired. Every muscle in her body ached with exhaustion, and most of her free time had been spent resting in order to regather her strength. Done with napping, she’d slipped out of the warrior’s den with a stretch, thankful to feel the warm kiss of sunlight against her sleek pelt. However, a sudden voice sent shivers down her spine. Before she even looked up, she knew exactly who it was. She sucked in a breath. Part of her knew that Eveningstorm might eventually find her to thank her, and she’d readied herself at the possibility, but even with all of her mental preparation, she was still caught off guard and unprepared. Not to mention that dreaded feeling had also returned. Regardless of what it was, she couldn’t let him see how rattled she was by him. Desertrose straightened herself to sit, attempting to look as dignified as possible. Certainly she could at least maintain her image if nothing else. “There’s no need to thank me, Eveningstorm,” she answered him quickly in the strongest, calmest tone she could muster, though her gaze never met his. They scanned the camp and looked at everything else but Eveningstorm. “I was just doing what I would have done for any of my clanmates. You don’t need to repay me for withholding my position as your deputy.”

Feared
    Participant

He wasn’t exactly sure what he had been expecting, but he couldn’t help the crestfallen feeling that was overtaking his chest when she appeared to be looking everywhere else but him. Perhaps she was disappointed that he needed help at all, but sometimes great warriors needed a paw lended here and there. Eveningstorm was of course unaware of the turmoil of emotions going on inside of Desertrose, she hid it very well. He smirked slightly when she expressed that she was only acting out on her duties as the deputy, which he expected her to say but the sting wasn’t gentle. Slowly he nodded as he refused to back down, suddenly the prospect of spending sometime with his deputy appealed to him, causing his long tail to sway to and fro. “I understand, but nevertheless I am surely grateful.” He smiled, chin tilted ever so slightly.

Desertrose didn’t appear uncomfortable, she appeared dignified and he got the feeling she didn’t want to make him feel to uncomfortable with apologizing. Clearing his throat once more, he noticed that she still refused to look at him, causing a eyebrow to rise slowly for a moment. “Wow… does my ear really look that bad?” He chuckled as he joked, gazing at the she-cat for a moment. It was odd to think that the she-cat he had treated so unfairly in the beginning of her reign as deputy, he was considering more and more a friend. His heart was slowly warming up to her and the fact that she had helped in during the battle only helped his reason further. “I know you won’t accept my thank you, but perhaps you will accept fresh morning kill?” He asked her to join a hunt with him, it was the least he could do for her and honestly… it excited him.

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

Embarrassment burned through her at that. Leave it to Eveningstorm to see right through her and pick at her only line of defense. Why did anything about him have the ability to surprise her anymore? Desertrose stiffened in an attempt to feel more in control of her emotions.Of course not, it’s.. it’s not bad,” she sounded flustered, the surprise she’d felt before causing her to momentarily slip up. Forcing herself to take a quick glance at his tattered ear, she saw that it was caked over with scabs, but certainly not gruesome. She’d seen far worse. “There’s nothing wrong with you. I was just overlooking the camp and thinking about how our clanmates are fairing after the battle,” she explained, hoping that a change in subject would serve as a distraction. After all, her excuse was at least believable.

Desertrose nodded at his offer, though she admittedly felt a prickle of anxiety at the thought of being alone with just Eveningstorm. However, saying ‘no’ wasn’t an option. If she rejected his proposal, he’d certainly suspect something then, and asking others to join them wasn’t an option either. A quick glance around camp confirmed that most of their clanmates were either busy or in the medicine cat den, and as much as she didn’t want to, they admittedly needed the extra prey. “A hunting patrol would be of use.”

Feared
    Participant

His eyebrows furrowed ever so slightly as he noticed that Desertrose was continuing to keep her gaze off of him, causing his lips to part slightly but she seemed to finally give in and glanced at his ear long enough to take in the damage that had been given but then her brilliant gaze was elsewhere. Geez…. what did I do? Eveningstorm wondered slightly, he wasn’t the brightest male ever alive but he was beginning to slowly pick up on her awkwardness. Although as she mentioned that she was gazing upon the clan, he gazed at her for only a moment longer before his dark amber eyes wandered around the camp as well. Right on cue, there were warriors and apprentices alike that had been wounded in battle lounging around camp in order to heal. Clan mates tending to one another, keeping moral high. Falconpaw situation was still uncertain, but Startledcrow was working hard to make sure that the apprentice pulled through. I’ll have to make sure he’s eaten something. He thought absentmindedly as he side glanced the medicine cat den. “Their wounded but their pride and strength have never been stronger.” Eveningstorm found himself saying, finally turning his head to peer at the she-cat once more.

For a brief moment he believed that Desertrose would object, her expression said enough while her eyes kept roaming around the camp. Perhaps she wanted to stick around…? For what he was unsure but he was about to excuse him before he noticed that she was beginning to nod. He paused, surprised indeed that she had agreed to go hunting with him, but he wasn’t about to complain. “Yes, may as well make ourselves useful for their recovery.” He muttered as he glanced back at the medicine cat den before he sighed and then turned to Desertrose with a smile on his face, pushing his worries to the back of his mind. “A couple of rabbits and voles sound pleasing to me.” He meowed softly as he began to walk out of the camp, moving slowly for Desertrose to join him. As she walked beside him, he kept his eyes forward as he figured his gaze was bothering her, maybe it was the ear. “What do you prefer?” Eveningstorm questioned, maybe this was his chance to get to know Desertrose a bit more than just his deputy.

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

The golden deputy stood up, rolling her shoulders as if relieving tension before falling into step behind Eveningstorm. Even doing something as simple as walking made her limbs ache in remembrance. While Desertrose was skilled in battle, she succumbed to exhaustion in the end and had made a mental note to later improve her endurance. If they were ever outnumbered again and she needed to take down more than just a few opponents, she’d need to be better prepared. Aside from that, it was good that Eveningstorm wanted to go hunting. Getting out and stretching her legs was a much better idea as opposed to lounging in the warrior’s den all day. Sitting around waiting to feel better didn’t suit her. “I’m not picky,” she answered him, thankful that he’d chosen to take the lead instead of walking beside her. She silently hoped it was just coincidence and not that he’d noticed her discomfort. “I’ll go for just about anything as long as I don’t have to settle for frogs and lizards.” And someone like Hornetstar as a leader.

As they trekked farther into Windclan’s hunting grounds, she began to pick up on the scents of nearby creatures. Lucky for them, prey was plentiful this time of year. Desertrose had kept her gaze drawn downward until now. For some reason she was unable to look directly at the tom for more than a few seconds without getting tongue tied, and making direct eye contact with him only made her heart race. It was infuriating. “Between the two of us,” she began, closing her eyes to soak in her surroundings, “I think we’ll have no problem bringing back a decent amount of prey. What do you think?” she asked, idly watching the grass sway in the breeze.

Feared
    Participant

Large paws were quietly moving along the ground as the tomcat walked just a little ahead of the she-cat, but his stomach kept coiling in on itself. She was this close and yet she seemed so awkward and uncomfortable. Was it something he had done? Sure they had gotten off on the wrong foot beforehand when she had been named deputy but he was over that, he wasn’t what Wolfstar wanted as the next leader and he could live with that. Desertrose was proving herself to be a very capable deputy and he couldn’t help himself but notice her. Whatever the feelings were, he knew he at least needed to be her friend and help her in this high ranked position. His right ear twitched when she spoke, indicating that she was not a picky eater, causing his half grin to reappear as he looked over his shoulder. Dark amber eyes catching the light briefly to express his amusement. “I just so happen to be a little bit of a picky eater. We shall have some fun.” He meowed with a small laugh, pupils narrowing as he looked back ahead of him with a skip in his step. A thoughtful expression crossed his face as he considered eating a frog or lizard and he couldn’t even muster up the imagination for it. “Nasty.” He shivered, his face contorting with disgust before giving his head a quick shake.

Clearing his throat, he gave his chest a quick lick for a moment as the sounds of camp began to disappear while being replaced with the whistle of the breeze and the thumping of rabbits every now and then hopping. Eveningstorm was a sucker for rabbits and voles, even squirrels but he was barely fast enough to catch rabbits. Birds were far from being on his favored list, lizards and frogs were a serious no, bugs weren’t even an option, and fish made his stomach turn. He was limited on his choices but it never bothered him, even though Thistleheart had tormented him over it. Thistleheart. His dear younger brother was suddenly triggered, a soft sigh slipping from his nostrils as he was reminded of the younger toms death. Desertrose’s voice brought his back to the present, allowing his dark gaze to flicker around the area as he was forced to focus upon the prey at hand. Nostrils flared as he breathed in deeply before his crooked smile returned, dead brother pushed to the back of his mind. “I think you are correct. The field is buzzing with life.” He meowed as he looked back at her, although she wouldn’t meet his gaze as she looked out over the tall grass causing his smile to slightly falter. “Uh…. perhaps we should split up. Then we can compare, although we both know I’ll win.” He snickered as his bushy tail lightly smacked against her shoulder before he walked ahead of her at a brisk trot. His ears were burning with shame, but he had only wanted to get a little closer with the she-cat and to formally thank her… maybe this hadn’t been one of his greatest ideas but he intended to see it through.

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

Although the look she gave him was brief, it was full of mischief. Having to prove herself since kithood made her very competitive. If Eveningstorm wanted to beat her in something, she’d surely give him a way to go first. Desertrose let out a soft scoff, her tone amused. “You think so?” she laughed, giving him no more than a sideward smirk before immersing herself in the tall grass that welcomed her. Her slender, golden form blended in perfectly with the dried tendrils that swayed in the breeze; now formless and indistinct, like a piece of shadow shifting.

Lean muscles rippled softly beneath dappled fur as she began following the scent of rabbit she’d detected earlier. Normally rabbits were more active during early mornings and afternoon, but it wasn’t strange to see a few midday. Through the fronds she could see it moving slowly, lolloping in its ungainly way, grazing as it went. If she could just get close enough to kill it from behind without chasing it down, it would prevent other nearby prey from being startled. Every step she took was careful. The movement had to be smooth, yet so gradual that the rabbit was unable to distinguish the hunter from its surroundings. Once close enough, she surged forward. A single bite to the neck ended its life peacefully, and she silently thanked Starclan before trotting back to the spot she’d last seen Eveningstorm.

Feared
    Participant

Desertrose briefly glanced at him, but he could see the mischief written all over her face from his competitive words. Clearly she liked a challenge and it had sparked some of her inner personality that she was keeping locked away. Slowly he licked his lips as he turned his chin in order to watch the she-cat stalk through the tall and yellowing grass, causing her golden pelt to slightly blend in. Nostrils flared for a moment as he tried breathing in the air around him, however he couldn’t smell the rabbit that Desertrose was hunting but he could tell that she had caught sight of something, her movements were slow and precise. As he watched, his left ear twitched painfully as he heard the sound of feathers ruffling against the dry dirt, causing his chin to slowly turn as his pupils narrowed into thin slits as he processed exactly what he had just heard. Brown and grey speckled feathers could be seen through the grass, causing his ears to slowly lay flat while his tail straightened out to where it was no longer twitching erratically. Dark molten amber colored eyes never once wavered from the bird, while his large and bulky figure slowly turned its position, his movements slow and yet fluid. His dark brown tabby pelt was sticking up around his scruff from the excitement of the hunt, large paws slowly moving his body forward with slow steps to keep his paw steps silent.

Using his big head, he parted the grass further, the soft fur along his body keeping the movement silent as long as he moved silently. Whiskers drew back as he neared the bird, chin tilting faintly as he could see the thrush pecking at the ground, digging through the dirt in order to find grubs. Desertrose wasn’t too far off and clearly she had leaped for her catch, for the commotion alerted the bird that something was going on not too far from their position on the meadow. Seeing as this was his only chance, the thick muscles along his lower back and thighs tightened as he sprang forward, claws stretched out. Unfortunately the bird sensed Eveningstorm and was able to bat its wings furiously enough to take off before he could jump up. However, a small shrew had been chewing on a blade of grass not too far away from the bird and was trying to scramble away. Eveningstorm had already zoned in on the movement in the grass, his paws moving swiftly despite his size, the tomcat was rather agile. Growling softly, he leaped through the grass and pinned the wiggling shrew to the ground before he snapped the neck with a quick jerk of his chin. Satisfied, he picked the shrew up and began to make his way back to where he had been with Desertrose, already spotting her golden pelt through the grass.

Hanging from Desertrose’s jaws was a rabbit before she dropped the prey at their paws, causing him to grin around the shrew in his mouth. “Nioce rrabbet.” He mumbled around the shrew in his mouth, while she barely glanced at him and really she was seeking out the shrew in his mouth before she looked away. A single eyebrow rose as he gazed at the she-cat and her flustered expression, causing his nostrils to flare as he released a huff of breath as his jaws opened to simply drop the shrew. “Alright. What is going on here? You have barely looked at me and when you do, it’s barely for a second and you make weird faces.” Eveningstorm commented, his eyebrows furrowing. “Have I offended you? I’m not sure what I did, but I’m sorry.” He apologized while walking closer to the she-cat, moving his body to try and be in her line of sight.

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

The intensity behind his words sent a chill down her spine. Not only was she unnerved by the tone of his voice, but even more so at the sight of him approaching her. Looking at him in general was intimidating to begin with, but it was almost terrifying from a close proximity. Desertrose swallowed hard, her heart beginning to race frantically in her chest. She didn’t answer him right away, knowing there was no point in debating with him seeing as she’d lost this fight before it ever began. There was no fooling him now that he was onto her.

“I—,” she nearly choked, then her voice shifted into something more calm, “I don’t know.” Desertrose took a deep breath, breaking eye contact with him to look at the ground beneath her paws. It was a surprisingly honest answer. “But you don’t need to apologize for anything. How I feel isn’t in any way negative towards you, that much I know for sure. I haven’t quite figured out the nature of these feelings myself— but honestly, try not to ask about it!” she snapped, finally choosing to look up at him. When her eyes met his, they contained their usual fire, but there was something soft about the way she looked at him. Regardless, it was as if she were crossed with herself for being truthful with him. “It’s making me just as uncomfortable as it is you,” she explained, her voice soon falling back to its usual pitch along with her gaze. “I don’t have answers. Everything has been complicated for me since becoming deputy. I’m experiencing all kinds of new things, and I don’t know how to explain them to myself let alone someone else.” Desertrose took a deep breath to quell the nausea welling up inside her. The idea of letting anyone into her thoughts and feelings made her uneasy, but she didn’t want Eveningstorm to think that she hated him. Telling him the truth was the only way to prevent that.

“Now,” she began, straightening herself up to stand, “Can we please continue hunting?”

Feared
    Participant

He was surprised by how jumpy and panicked Desertrose appeared when he got closer to her, those brilliant eyes shifting as she tried to look anywhere else before she finally seemed to calm herself down before she spoke. Ears stood up as he listened silently to the molly, blinking in surprise when she admitted that she was unsure of why she couldn’t look at him, but apparently it all wrapped around feelings that she held for him. Eveningstorm was slightly surprised by this but he also knew he had feelings for the molly, but he chose to keep that himself for now. She was already at war within herself, he didn’t need to add fuel to the flame. When she looked back up at him, she seemed to be a bit more calm and collected, actually looking at him but he noticed that her gaze was soft. It was clear that Desertrose was uncomfortable, allowing his pink nostrils to flare as he exhaled and looked away from her. Desertrose made it very clear that she didn’t want to discuss this any further, but he felt the opposite. However, he bit his tongue and gave a small nod before he glanced back at the she-cat. “Alright. We won’t discuss this any further. But… don’t push me away, if you can help it. That’s all I ask.” Was all Eveningstorm could say, since he didn’t want to upset her but he only didn’t want their growing bond, whatever it ended up being, to falter.

As she requested that they get back to hunting, he studied her expression for a moment before he gave a slight smile and roamed his tongue over his teeth. “Yes… yes, we can.” He nodded slowly, moving away from the she-cat as he picked up his prey, moving ahead of her as his long and busy tail flicked slightly, indicating for the molly to follow if she dared. He was stuck in his thoughts, what sort of feelings would cause Desertrose to become jumpy and unsure about herself, sighing softly he released his hold on those thoughts as he tried to gaze around the field but he wasn’t paying any attention to the prey that could possibly be hiding in the tall grass. Slowly he laid down his catch and lifted his chin towards the sky, closing his eyes and breathing in deeply. He cared for Desertrose, he knew that much, and he certainly didn’t want her to push him away… but he had little say in the matter. Ears laid back against his head as the breeze ruffled his rich dark brown tabby and white fur, which was rather enjoyable for the thick furred Tom. “Ya ever wonder what a deer would taste like?” He questioned randomly, unsure if Desertrose was even behind him but his dark molten amber eyes were staring straight ahead, watching three long legged large does roaming through the field, they were roughly around eight badger lengths away but they didn’t seem worried about the two cats. “They are rather… majestic.” Eveningstorm muttered, Thistleheart had once used the word to describe the deer, perhaps his little brother had been right.

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

When her eyes met his, she realized this was first time she’d truly looked at him. Of course she’d looked at him before, but she’d never really looked at him like this. His face was strong and defined, his eyes a smoldering fire; like a warm and gentle flame. In the midday sunlight that played against his smooth features, he looked more handsome than she’d ever cared to notice. No wonder he was known to be a heartbreaker. He was gorgeous.

Before he slid back into his usual devil-may-care expression, she caught something new that surprised her: deep consideration. The usually playful smile he carried had drawn into a thin, hard line across his face. He looked surprisingly serious when he spoke to her, regarding how she felt with care. A side of him she was not familiar with.

Thankfully Eveningstorm had turned away, breaking eye contact before she had to. It would have been more awkward had she been the one to do it. She watched as he flicked his tail for her to follow. Taking a deep breath to steel herself, she stepped into place beside him; her eyes glued to the ground. Had she looked at him any longer, her heart would have certainly burst. She’d have to be more careful in the future.

Eveningstorm’s peculiar question cut through her musings. ‘Deer?’ she thought, looking in front of them. A few slender does were grazing peacefully just a short distance ahead. They were much smaller than the deer, so the does didn’t feel threatened by their presence. “I’m not sure what’s stranger: the fact that  it crossed your mind or that you’re asking me about it,” she laughed softly, “I can’t say that I have, though.” In all seriousness, though, a single deer would feed many hungry mouths. If they could manage to take one down during desperate times, such as leafbare, it would certainly aid the clan. At the same time, she quietly wondered if they would be able to finish it before it began to rot. “Is it because they’re majestic that you wish to eat them?”

Feared
    Participant

Dark molten amber eyes were watching the deer as they grazed carefully through the grass, causing his chin to tilt slightly for a moment before a smile soon found its way onto his lips as he side glanced a look towards Desertrose. She appeared amused and at least she had finally relaxed a bit from her out burst but he couldn’t blame her, he was having  feelings aroused within his soul that he hadn’t yet experienced before and it was confusing for himself. “Probably that I think about it.” He chuckled softly, his gaze returning to the deer for a moment as he began to ponder her question before he shrugged. “Despite their stink, they are pretty creatures. I think voles stink but their meat is still pretty tasty, maybe it’s the same way with deer.” He finally shrugged his massive shoulders, his gaze softening slightly. “Actually I used to think they were blubbering creatures that would stomp down on everything. Thistleheart believed them to be more majestic and perhaps he was right.” Eveningstorm admitted, speaking about his deceased younger brother wasn’t always easy but with time it was getting to be. Slowly he inhaled and scrunched up his nose, shaking his head as he looked away from deer and looked at Desertrose with a laugh. “Majestic or not.. they stink.” He grinned before he shifted slightly as he lightly bumped his forehead against her shoulder blade in a tender touch.

Finally he walked past the she-cat, Desertrose was not necessarily a short she-cat but he was lucky enough to be a few ears taller than her. Gave him a better vantage point to see every detail of her alluring pelt. The specks and swirls of gold and rose gold that made up her coloring was addicting to look upon, especially in the light of the sun, which was beginning to move into the late day position. “So, tell me. Do you have any siblings?” He called over his shoulder, trying to make a conversation as to ease the tension between them. She would never be comfortable around him if she didn’t know him better. “I had a Littermate at one point, Runningwolf. She was crazy she-cat, Wild and untamable.” He smiled fondly at the memory of his tabby and white pelted sister. “We were certainly the pairing. She got greencough and couldn’t recover from it and then we had a shortage of prey that Leaf-Bare and… well she didn’t last long.” Eveningstorm shrugged, her death had been many moons ago and he was healing. “Thistleheart was a tender tomcat, I could do no wrong in his eyes. He was a far shot from Startledcrow, that Tom is like a thorn in my hind end.” He smirked slightly, shaking his head as he thought of his dark grey furred younger brother. “I certainly love them though.” He admitted, looking back towards the she-cat curiously. Eveningstorm had opened up to Desertrose, perhaps it would prompt her to do the same.

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

Desertrose followed his gaze in the direction of the deer, then inhaled deeply. When the smell hit her, her nose crinkled slightly in disgust. “You aren’t wrong about that,” she easily agreed with him, huffing out a breath in an attempt to clear the musky scent from her nostrils. When he asked her about her family, she fell silent for a moment. Such a personal question caught her completely off guard. Normally no one asked about that. “I, uh.. yes,” she finally answered him, feeling a sense of sheepishness wash over her.

There was another pause as she silently recalled their names. “Whitesnake and Bumblenose,” she continued, her voice quiet and thoughtful. It wasn’t often that she spoke of her littermates. The names that rolled off her tongue felt wholly unfamiliar to her. They were well known warriors within the camp, and she was sure that Eveningstorm would undoubtedly know of them, but not many remembered that she was related to them on account of how formal they were with each other. Bumblenose and Whitesnake were just as cold and callous as her parents. Whitesnake even more so. It was difficult for her to be around her brother for more than a few seconds without getting into a heated argument with him. “We don’t associate unless it’s necessary. My family is very complicated,” she explained to him, looking ahead.

Pushing the thoughts of her dysfunctional family aside, she listened intently as Eveningstorm went on about his own siblings. A smile had managed to find its way to her delicate features until he mentioned that Runningwolf had passed away some time ago. Hesitant at first, she spoke to him softly. “My condolences, Eveningstorm,” her eyes were kind as they glanced over at him, and though looking at him only made her panic, she did her absolute best to ignore the fluttering in her chest to show her concern for him. “At least you had good relations with your littermates, and fond memories with Runningwolf to keep with you after she’d gone,” she said in an attempt to sound reassuring. “And what of Thistleheart?” she asked him, not recalling a Thisteheart back in camp. Had something happened to him as well? They seemed to have been the closest.

Feared
    Participant

He pleased to see that she was willing to answer his question, chin tilting for a moment as he listened to her name off her two littermates. Whitesnake and Bumblenose… He mused over the names within his mind, slowly he was beginning to put the name with a face. “Ah, yes. I am familiar with Whitesnake and Bumblenose.” Eveningstorm nodded his big head, his eyes serious as he thought of the two tomcats. Both were very capable warriors but they were incredibly void of emotion, much like Desertrose could be at times but it was clear that she held sparks of emotion. “Huh… I knew you all were close in age, but I didn’t know you all were related. I learn something new everyday.” He flashed Desertrose a smile, his dark amber eyes flashing with amusement before he looked away from her, suddenly remembering that the eye contact made her nervous. He blinked in surprise when she explained that they didn’t associate with each other unless it was absolutely necessary, which caused his eyes to fall to the ground. He couldn’t imagine being put in a position where he didn’t speak with Startledcrow or his father, Palefog on a regular basis. “I see. Well I suppose it could be worse, but still… I’m sorry.” He said softly, he meant no disrespect towards her family but her tart tone expressed that she wasn’t keen on either of them.

Eveningstorm was surprised when Desertrose actually looked at him, her eyes were soft while her expression held what seemed like compassionate concern. “Thank you, Desertrose.” He smiled back and gave her a small dip of his chin. They were walking slowly now and were practically walking side by side as they spoke about each other. “Runningwolf was a crazy molly though, I think you would have liked her. She could have a conversation with a cricket and still manage to get a full word out.” He laughed slightly, he certainly held fond memories of his littermate. Although when Desertrose questioned about Thistleheart, his heart throbbed with heartbreak. “Thistleheart died about four moons ago.” He explained in a tender and raw voice, but he looked at the she-cat and he could see her expression morphing. “Oh, it’s okay. Don’t you worry, Desertrose.” He assured the she-cat, his smile soft and small. “He died bravely. I wasn’t there but I was told an eagle had swooped down and grabbed a hold of Falconpaw, but Thistleheart jumped on top of the eagle and Falconpaw managed to get away.” He smiled sadly, his dark eyes falling from the mollies face as he looked down at the swaying grass, his throat tightening. “Unfortunately… Thistleheart didn’t make it.” He said softly, breathing in softly for a moment before he lifted his gaze back at the she-cat. “Startledcrow took it harder than me… they were littermates after all, but Thistleheart was very special.” He nodded slowly, suddenly clearing his throat. “I’m sorry for boring you, there.” He chuckled and looked ahead of them once more.

The sun was beginning to set and the sky was full of yellows and oranges, with a dark navy blue following in pursuit. Although, Eveningstorm wasn’t exactly ready for this to be over with, he was greatly enjoying Desertrose’s company. “So… would you line your nest with rabbit fur or feathers from a pheasant? Think carefully. Your answer will determine if I like you or not.” He teased but he was trying to get them away from the sad topic of his deceased younger brother, that and he didn’t want Desertrose to feel awkward.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp Thank You (Evening and Desert)