Suddenly Spring ((Heron/Wist))

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory Suddenly Spring ((Heron/Wist))

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Finch
    Participant

With Ripplekit settled in the nursery, Heronflight had reluctantly left to assemble an evening patrol– his duties as deputy meant he couldn’t suddenly take an maternity leave after the impromptu adoption that had happened earlier today. A kit. His mind was still reeling a little; usually new fathers at least had a few months to grow into the idea, and he was admittedly a little shocked at how readily he’d stepped into the role. A part of him was worried that his clanmates might find him unfit for it… perhaps there was some kind of feature he was unknowingly lacking that would make him a poor father.

Like not having parents, either.

But that was exactly why he’d wanted so badly to offer that to the kitten. It was something they both shared, and he could solve that for her. It was perhaps selfish, but the warrior fully believed that StarClan must be looking down on them both. A life in the clans would be more fulfilling than anything that could be had from living as a kittypet.

Aware that the storm of events would probably have him thrown off for the next while, the grey warrior took a moment to breathe. This… was the new normal, wasn’t it? Things had been changing for a while, so much so that the world almost seemed to have reinvented itself. He felt younger than he had in a long time.

Catching a familiar set of eyes from across the camp, Heronflight gave one look back at the nursery before nodding his chin in the direction of the entrance. He and Wisteriastar had spoken just earlier about whether or not the kit could be accepted into RiverClan, but that had been a discussion between ranks. Right now, he simply wanted to talk to his friend. If she wasn’t busy, then it would be a relief to go on a walk and just talk about everything going on.

Jetstream
    Participant

– W I S T E R I A S T A R –

Wisteriastar was resting along easily in the camp clearing after the patrol including herself, Heronflight, and a few other warriors had returned to camp after finding a stray kit in their territory. The calico leader had been hesitant to accept the kittypet into RiverClan, as the Clans were all in a difficult time right now and accepting a loner of a kit into their Clan in a time when they needed to be strong and defend themselves was quite honestly the last thing she had wanted to do. However, the part of herself that was a mother just morally could not leave Ripplekit alone to potentially either starve or be prey to the darkness of the forest. Heronflight’s urging did not take much to convince her past that, so the two of them had welcomed the kit into the Clan with the understanding that her deputy would take responsibility for her and care for her himself. 

Speaking of the grey tom, as she glanced up, she noticed that he had caught her eye and had made a gesture towards the entrance of the camp. Perhaps he had wanted to discuss more about caring for Ripplekit? Wisteriastar nodded and got to her paws, doing her best to hide exactly how tired she was becoming as she made the lead of exiting the camp grounds through the entrance. She didn’t have much of a stamina during long days as she used to, with her now expecting body, but she couldn’t let her facade slip. 

Finch
    Participant

Presently unaware of his friend’s carefully concealed fatigue, Heronflight’s long legs carried him out of the familiar entrance to the trail that weaved into the rest of the territory. The calico wasn’t only moment behind him, and he turned when he sensed that she had caught up with him.

“Thank you for making some time,” he said warmly, setting off at a slow pace as he realized he actually didn’t want to stray far from the camp and that he just thought better when his paws were moving. Yes despite this, and how badly he wanted to share some of the emotional strain he was under, actually verbalizing his feelings on something felt bizarre and objectionable. Embarrassment– something he hadn’t felt much of since his apprenticeship– reared it’s head as he tried to reassure himself that Wisteriastar wouldn’t think any less of him for the somewhat new paths his life was taking.

She’d be upset if she knew about you and Forestmask, let alone Brookflower…

Getting involved with the son of someone he’d spent so long pinning after… it would seem pathetic. There wasn’t even anything official yet. But even thinking about a cat from another clan that way? It was something the grey tom was still in denial over, and could not be brought up. He was just… painfully aware that all of these things could only go on discretely for so long.

Jetstream
    Participant

The calico warrior caught up with her deputy’s pace in no time, though she was highly aware that it was because he had slowed for her more-so than she had caught up naturally on her own. Her paws were much slower lately than she’d like to admit, her slowly growing waistline was surely influencing this fact. Wisteriastar was as careful as she possibly could be to conceal her changing body shape to her clanmates, halfing her time around them considerably and keeping most of herself out of sight from anyone other than Rainysky to try and hide her pregnancy the best that she could. However, she was highly aware of the fact that she was reaching the higher end of the trimesters of her expectancy and that trying to conceal such a fact would prove to be more difficult than it was prior to this. It wouldn’t be long now before she would have to be meeting with Hornetstar in ShadowClan territory to give birth to their kits. 

Wisteriastar was so caught up in her own thoughts that she hadn’t noticed the subtle changes that had been occurring in Heronflight, but the warm tone in his voice as he spoke to her prompted her to glance back up at him. “Oh, of course. You know that you can always come to me if you ever need anything,” she replied breezily, suddenly catching the tense air about the grey tom as she spoke with him, “Is there something in particular that you wanted to talk about today?” 

Finch
    Participant

Taking a breath and coming to a slow stop, he struggled as any words he could have used stayed resolutely out of reach. His brows furrowed as he opened and closed his mouth a few times, before giving up on trying to pinpoint whatever concept he was trying to relay in favour of just getting something out. “I don’t know what I’m doing. I never thought I’d have to raise a kit.” he manged. “Not that I’ve changed my mind.” he added quickly, needing to be sure Wisteriastar knew he wasn’t trying to back out of taking care of Ripplekit. “I mean, you’ve had two litters and I’ve never even had a mate,” he laughed humorlessly. “And I don’t have parents to ask what a kit needs, I’ve only trained apprentices and it’s… I know it’s not going to be the same thing.”

He shoulders slumped, tail swishing behind him in a mix of agitation and doubt. Forestmask would be good with kits, and it was a shame that their relationship wasn’t progressed enough for him to play a second parent figure– assuming he would be interested. It would be hard enough telling Wisteriastar about him and her son if the time came without throwing adoption into the mix. But perhaps Ripplekit wouldn’t take as well to another cat– that thought was a small part of the reason Heronflight had volunteered himself.

Jetstream
    Participant

As Heronflight vented to her of his struggles in experiencing fatherhood for the first time, Wisteriastar softened, a small smile gracing her face as she listened to his worries. “I know where you’re coming from,” she sympathized, “experiencing parenthood for the first time is always a scary struggle for anyone, even me. I’ve been there when I had my first litter.” The RiverClan leader chuckled slightly at her own expense at the memories of how panicked she was initially in becoming a mother for the first time. “Sadly though, I don’t think it’s really fair to you or to Ripplekit for anyone to try and tell you how to parent your kit. The most I can do is offer you advice when you need it and support your coming fatherhood. The rest, you’ll have to learn on your own, at your own pace.”

“I know it’s overwhelming at first and that you may feel as though you have no one to rely on,” Wisteriastar added, “but your Clanmates and friends are always going to have your back. You have more of a support system than you realize, Heronflight.” Her amber gaze hardened ever-so-slightly with intensity as she met her deputy’s gaze. “I’ve been your friend since we were young, surely you know that you will always have my support?”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory Suddenly Spring ((Heron/Wist))