Smoldering Embers and Leftover Ash

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory The Stream Smoldering Embers and Leftover Ash

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lux
    Participant

Smokewisp – Shadowclan Deputy

The group traveled in nervous silence, returning to inspect their camp after the flood. Some of the clan remained with Riverclan, of course. But many had willingly volunteered to go, wishing to pay final homage to their home. The news had spread like wildfire. To avoid future crisis, Hornetstar wished to change camp locations. Smokewisp had solemnly agreed, knowing that it would be for the best. But, leaving their old home behind was a melancholy experience. Countless generations of clan cats had thrived there. This would be a momentous change. ‘Hopefully for the best,’ she thought with a heavy sigh. Change was coming to all the clans, even among the ranks. Chances were this would be a particularly cruel leaf-bare with high tensions.

Smokewisp looked around, desperate for the distraction of conversation. Her amber gaze fell upon Waspstrike, who padded silently alongside her flank. The smokey she-cat slacked her pace, drawing near her clanmate. Once upon a time, many moons ago, she’d lived outside the clan. Smokewisp had been prickling with curiosity, wanting to get her opinion on the last gathering. “Waspstrike,” she addressed her, keeping a low and private tone. “A sparrow for your thoughts? I was wondering what you thought about Thunderclan’s new deputy. She certainly made a first impression,” she mewed. “A horrible one, depending on who you ask.

Chris
    Participant

Waspstrike plodded silently through the densely packed woods. All other sounds had died away as her mind was growing foggy and vague. The black and white Warrior had a nasty feeling she was coming down with a fever, but she pushed the thought aside. She could rest when they reached their home again. Oh how she ached for it, and in a way she could not have anticipated. For before this she’d never had a home to be homesick for.

Her pale gaze blinked slowly as Smokewisp approached, her words distant and garbled at first until Waspstrike consciously focused on them. Half-heartedly she pulled up what she knew about their new second-in-command. She was a treat for the eyes, but of course, that much was obvious and rather irrelevant as well. She was shy, and seemed troubled more oft than not. Still, the cat was a good worker. Waspstrike could see why she was chosen. Perhaps not who she would have picked, but then again it was not up to her. With their Leader still young, Smokewisp had time to come into her role and function as an asset to ShadowClan. Realizing the benefit this could serve them, Waspstrike made a decision to help her in any way possible.

“I think she was foolish, to speak in such a way to so many who vehemently set themselves against her views. I do not know what she intended to accomplish, perhaps she has no plan at all.” Mused the tiny dark Warrior.

“On the whole, however.” She continued, voice raspy. “I do not see why everyone is so fussed. If ThunderClan falls, ShadowClan will benefit. If they continue to do well, then it is no different than it was before. Perhaps you can illuminate for me, but I don’t see why she frightens them so.” She mewed, referring to the other heads of Clan and all who had cried out as though Kass and slain babes before them. “What concern is it of theirs what she believes in? If their faith is strong, a naysayer should not trouble them so.”

Lux
    Participant

Smokewisp’s amber eyes narrowed as she focused upon the dark she-cat. Exhaustion clearly dragged upon her muscles, and her voice had grown husky. ‘She needs rest,’ she thought. Waspstrike was a proud warrior, a trait common among Shadowclan’s ranks. However, the trait was surely a double-edged sword. Ever since the flood the medicine den had been buzzing with overly exhausted cats who had pushed themselves beyond their limits.

She nodded along to Waspstrike’s words, mostly in agreement. “She’s certainly hot-headed,” she acknowledged. “Hollystar was horrified, so if she did have a plan she didn’t share it with her leader.” They continued along, their pace slacking as they trudged up a hill. The ground was chillingly spongy and soaked unpleasantly between her paws. Smokewisp had a tendency to over-discuss matters with Hornetstar. Of course, she trusted her own paws. But, the thought of embarrassing or angering him was horrifying.

The thing is, the clans are stronger together than they are alone,” she huffed, feeling winded as they rounded the top of the hill. “Sometimes a crisis, like the flood, is too large for a single clan to handle. If Kass’s deputyship weakens Thunderclan, it also weakens out chances of surviving a crisis. Being so outspoken about non-belief causes unnecessary distrust and friction and she’d be better off holding her tongue at gatherings.

Chris
    Participant

“Yes, judging from her reaction the heads of ThunderClan were not on the same page.” Mused the smaller Warrior, realizing it herself as she spoke.

“If they are strongest together, I do not understand why they live separately. I have been told it is because the Clans are proud, but pride fills no bellies. When I was in the city, cats stuck together because they had to. The woods are wilder, and yet we weaken ourselves here against other threats.” She remarked in a deadpan tone that betrayed no personal opinion on the matter. She had not been born here, so naturally she had no personal Clan pride. Though she did behold a certain preference for ShadowClan after learning what the others were like, it had been mere chance that had brought her to its borders. StarClan’s interference, the devout would say. A fire and her paws, Waspstrike said.

And then there were the names. She had no love for their contradictory code. But her name had just been ‘Wasp’ before. Waspstrike. Sounded infinitely cooler. Thus she saw no issue in surrendering her old title. Even if it was a bit cultish.

“We shall have to see what the future holds. It is most likely ThunderClan who will be needing our help. And it will be up to you and Hornetstar to decide if they are deserving of it.”

Lux
    Participant

Hah, Thunderclan would rather choke on crowfood than accept Shadowclan’s help.” Her ears pricked, hearing some commotion ahead. They were drawing close to their old camp, and would soon be paying their final respects to the generations that had lived within its tunnels. A wave of sorrow washed over her, wishing she could cling to the safety of the smooth stone tunnels forever. She drew herself back into Waspstrike’s conversation, wishing to avoid such unpleasant thoughts as long as possible.

I see your point,” she mewed. “Perhaps you’re right, maybe it’d be better if we all worked together, even going as far as sharing the same den. But, I know there’s plenty who’d disagree. All of us clan cats love to cling to tradition, after all.” She glanced over, eyes alight with humor as she jabbed at her own beliefs. “Just as we feel exposed on the open moores, Windclan feels suffocated beneath our tunnels. Sometimes cats are just suited to different things,” she sighed. “Being divided also allows others to move between the clans, even though it’s frowned upon. Plenty have left Shadowclan to start fresh lives elsewhere.It’s all … complicated.” She frowned, knowing her own desires to start fresh. “I considered it in the past,” she mewed quietly. “I likely would have avoided a lot of suffering if I had run, but here I am. Sometimes I wish I’d taken the opportunity.”

Ahead their clanmates seemed to be slowing, slowly filing into the tunnels for their final goodbyes. “I should check in with Hornetstar,” she mewed, suddenly feeling weary. “Quite a bittersweet feeling, leaving this place. But I suppose it’s for the best, can’t swim like Riverclan after all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory The Stream Smoldering Embers and Leftover Ash