s.o.s! (soft && shadow)

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory s.o.s! (soft && shadow)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Vox
    Participant

BACKLOG

The weather was good, as per usual. Greenleaf was fast approaching, and Shadowfang felt the warm sun beating down on his fur between the trees as he stalked through the undergrowth. The hunting party he had tagged along with was starting to get on his nerves so he had snuck off to do his own thing. I don’t need anyone else’s help. I’m good enough to catch my own prey. He thought, completely ignoring the fact that his big paws were snapping every single twig beneath his feet.

The black tom stopped for a moment to taste the air, but there wasn’t anything to be found. This of course wasn’t because he probably scared away every mouse in a 10 mile radius, at least to him. However,Shadowfang’s lucky moment came when he heard a mouse scuffling around nearby. He dropped into a hunting crouch, moved forward as carefully as possible, and as soon as he was about to pounce, it bolted away towards the nearest rock crevice to hide.

He ran after his prey and dove into the crevice to try and go in after it, but it still managed to get away, too far for his paws to reach. “Mouse-dung!” He spat, clawing at the ground in anger. Anger soon turned to terror when the large tom realized he was stuck. Oh no. Oh no, Shadow thought over and over, squirming as he tried to dislodge himself. When he finally gave up and accepted that he wasn’t going to get himself out any time soon, he resorted to yowling at the top of his lungs hoping that someone from the hunting party would walk by and see him.
    ——-
    Softglow decided that she needed to clear her head and the best option was to go for a walk. I need to talk to Dreamfeather about that windclanner. She doesn’t realize that she’s doing something wrong. Similar thoughts rushed through her mind as she searched for what she could say to her sister. However, her train of thought was cut off by the sound of howling. Who could be making such a racket? With a sigh, the ginger tabby began walking towards the noise, wondering what she would come across. A fox? Maybe a badger? Or maybe an enemy warrior who snuck into our territory and got attacked by a fox and a badger! Softglow was rather disappointed when she saw it was just a tom from her own clan who managed to get himself stuck and thought the best course of action was to scream.

“Need some help?” She asked, her voice soft and delicate. It was a contrast to the sassy voice inside her head, but Softglow could never say such rude things out loud. The molly slowly approached the tom, looking at where his paw got stuck into a crevice. She pawed at the dirt, looking up at the tom with her big green eyes. “You’re Shadowfang, right?” Softglow asked shyly, beginning to dig around his foot. “How did you manage to get into this situation?” The feline continued digging for a few moments, brows furrowed when she realized that he was more stuck than expected.
    ——-
    As Shadowfang had expected, someone had come to his rescue. He heard footsteps approaching, and he gave a silent sigh of relief. Oh thank goodness, someone’s here,  the tom thought bitterly. But just as he was about to snap at his savior to get him out already, he heard a soft voice and recognized Softglow as the one behind him.

Not about to yell at such a gentle sounding cat, Shadowfang’s tail stopped its irritated thrashing and took a dejected position behind his splayed hind legs. “I… I think I need help,” he grumbled, “yeah, it’s Shadowfang, and uh… I was trying to chase a fox,” he answered, hesitating a bit on the last part. Anyone with half a brain could tell it was a lie but he wasn’t about to admit out loud that he was such a terrible hunter.
    ——-
    Softglow gave him a warm smile when Shadowfang confirmed his identity. The molly had seen him around camp, probably went on a few patrols with him too but they never had the chance to exchange more than a few words. Though, she found it curious that he lied, mostly because she could smell that there wasn’t a fox nearby. Softglow considered playing along but decided it would be better to be honest with him. Besides, that’s what she would prefer had the situation been switched.“You don’t have to pretend. I won’t tell anyone.”

As she continued to dig, Softglow searched her thoughts for what to say to him. “So why were you out here all alone?” She asked, looking up at him. He had handsome features and very much resembled what was expected of a thunderclanner. Big, strong, though a bit clumsy it seemed and maybe not the best at hunting but probably great at fighting. Softglow herself was more of a hunter and tracker than a fighter. She wasn’t immensely strong and was too hesitant. Finally, the ground had widened enough for Shadowfang to loosen his paw. “There we go!”

Vox
    Participant

shadowfang.

“Well, I was trying to catch a mouse, but it dove into this crack here and I chased after it,” Shadowfang confessed with a frustrated edge to his voice. There was no way he was going to be able to play this off as some sort of heroic act, so confessing seemed like the best option at this point. And besides, his pride was already hurt enough by being stuck in the first place. I’m never going to live this down, aren’t I, he thought, not exact;y excited at the prospect of having such an embarrassing story attached to his name.

Things continued in silence for a bit before Softglow broke the silence, asking him what he was doing out here alone. “The hunting party I was with was getting on my nerves so I decided to go off alone instead,” the tom answered, “and besides, I work better when I don’t have other people dragging me down.” Shortly after that smug remark, he heard a ‘there we go’ and felt the rocks’ hold on the upper half of his body loosen up. Shadowfang began pushing himself out, digging his hind claws into the ground so his legs would just slide around. With one last big motion, he tumbled out of the crack and landed on the ground in front of his clanmate. “Oh thank StarClan, It’s finally over.”

(header source)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ThunderClan ThunderClan Territory s.o.s! (soft && shadow)