Owl and a Mouse

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp Owl and a Mouse

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nettlenose
    Participant

Little, pearly white teeth dug into the fluffy, cream colored fur of Nettlenose as she pulled out a stubborn burr from her chest. Raising her head, she huffed softly, not realizing she still had a chunk of fluff stuck there, her mind rather occupied.

As she sunned in the clearing, bordering shade and sunlight, her mind was occupied as she picked at her fur. Of course, she was thinking about Startledpaw, and his behavior towards their training sessions. And of course, she was wondering about the odd things that had occurred some time ago at the last gathering. The medicine cat had a lot to think about it seemed. Her emerald eyes stared out upon the clearing, unfocused, and her expression looked a bit off as she wasn’t smiling per usual. No, she was enveloped in her concerns and trying to decipher mental puzzles…

mahon [owl]
    Participant

owlbelly

The brown tom had begun to feel better thanks to the honey and poppy seeds that Startledpaw had given him. Though the medicine cat apprentice had a bit of an attitude, Owlbelly didn’t mind too much. Sure he thought that medicine cats should be kind and nurturing but the tom didn’t think it was his place to judge. With that, the deputy had spent the day resting and recovering so that he could be in full strength for the next day. Owlbelly had been overworking himself and as a result, became sick. It’s my own fault. The tom let out a quiet sigh and looked up at the sky, waiting for when the sun would disappear and the stars would come out. That’s the only time I can see you. Bringing his amber gaze down to the clearing, he watched his clanmates silently before landing on the medicine cat, Nettlenose. The pretty she-cat seemed rather deep in thought as if she would be unable to see someone walk right past her. With a worried frown, the deputy decided to approach her. 

“Hello, Nettlenose.” He murmured a greeting, his voice soft and warm. Despite his lineage, the feline was always kind to him and so he felt the need to return the favour. “Are you alright?” The large tomcat paused, settling down beside her in a motion of comfort. “You seem to have a lot on your mind.” It wouldn’t be surprising. Windclan had certainly been through a lot, with the tribe cats at the gathering, the disappearances of various clanners, and the mysterious death of Coalpaw. Everyone seemed to be stressed nowadays. Amber eyes locking with her green ones, his gaze was filled with both kindness and concern for his clanmate. It was his responsibility to make sure everyone was okay, even the medicine cat. “I’m here if you need to talk.” The two-toned tom offered politely, a soft smile dancing on his lips.

Nettlenose
    Participant

The tuft of fur still hanging from her jaws unnoticed, Nettlenose’s gentle gaze snapped back into focus as Windclan’s deputy approached. “Oh, Owlbelly…” Sje murmured, trying not to sound so caught off guard. “Come and sit.”

The soft and rich tone of his voice met her ears, and instantly they began to burn hot as he questioned her well-being, guilt stirring in her chest. It felt careless to let her clanmate see her so caught up in things that frazzled her, and what was further disheartening was that upon closer inspection, the medicine noticed Owlbelly looked a bit sickly himself. Yet here he was worrying over her, who should be easing his pain.

Yes, yes, I’m alright.” Nettlenose responded quickly, mustering a smile, though it was laced with concern as she leaned towards him. She had no idea of his visit with her apprentice. “I appreciate the offer. Perhaps I’ll even take you up on it, but…”

The she-cat tilted her chin upwards to better look at him, jaded eyes meeting his own deep amber ones. “Are you feeling alright…?

mahon [owl]
    Participant

owlbelly

Owlbelly smiled softly when he noticed the tuft of fur sticking out from underneath her jaw and decided to help her out. Bringing his front paw to his mouth, he quickly licked it before stretching it over to the medicine cat and using it to soften the stray piece. “You had some fur sticking out.” Owlbelly murmured softly before sitting down beside her. He found himself staring at the she-cat while lost in thought. While Nettlenose was not there for the birth of his children and the loss of his riverclan mate, the tom remembered how when she became the medicine cat she would often soothe his nightmares with poppy seeds or anything else that could help. The two-toned tom was always grateful that the kind medicine cat never showed scorn towards him, only a gentle nature. So when he saw that she was troubled, Owlbelly was drawn to offer the same comfort that she once gave him. “You don’t have to keep your struggles to yourself, even if you’re the medicine cat.” 

When Nettlenose turned the focus on him, he couldn’t help but offer a smile. “I’m alright. I was a bit sick.” He paused, shifting his paws underneath him. “I went to your den last night but Startledpaw said you were out so he helped me instead.” The tom couldn’t help but chuckle while remembering the interaction he had with the medicine cat apprentice. Giving a sideways glance to Nettlenose, he smiled softly. “He has quite the personality. He called me old and  suggested that you and I go pick flowers” Owlbelly didn’t mind though, he found the young tom quite refreshing. Looking back at Nettlenose, he gave her a soft glance. “Thank you for your concern.”

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by mahon [owl].
    Nettlenose
    Participant

Nettlenose’s gaze followed Owlbelly’s paw, and then went cross-eyed as it neared her face. Her eyes widened in surprise when it flicked across her mouth and the tuft came loose, embarrassment setting her paws and ears aflame.

“Oh goodness, thank you.” She said, her voice high and flustered. She must have looked so stupid with a clump of fur hanging from her mouth like that! She gave a soft sigh at his gentle reminder that she didnt have to keep things to herself, shoulders drawing together as her gaze fell away to the ground. He was right. She knew that she should talk to someone, so maybe…

Any current thoughts she had about easing the things on her mind vanished when Owlbelly then confirmed he had indeed been sick, attention instantly shifting fully to the tom. Her expression shifted from concern to surprise as he mentioned Startledpaw, that he had willingly tended to someone on his own accord. Mouth hung slightly open, the medicine cat blinked and shook her head.

“Wait, wait…Startledpaw helped you?” She asked in a soft tone before a pleasant smile blossomed along her lips, and her tail flicked with the delight. Some of the weight left her chest at this news. “I’m sorry that I wasn’t there myself to help you, but you haven’t idea how happy I am to hear he got some experience with healing.” The cream colored tabby purred, her body swaying side to side a little in an excited gesture.

Nettlenose gave a chuckle at the mention of Startledpaw’s personality, and only shook her head with a little, amused sigh. That was just how the young tom was. Her shiny eyes met again with Owlbelly’s, warm. “Though, he was right to suggest flower picking. I always love to do such things.”

mahon [owl]
    Participant

owlbelly

“Don’t worry about it, Nettlenose.” Owlbelly murmured softly, his deep voice carrying a warm tone. The deputy didn’t want the molly to feel embarrassed about her fur, he thought it was common and, actually kind of sweet. Watching as her gaze fell to the ground, he considered what he should say to her. If she really was in a place of need, Owlbelly wanted to be there for her. However, it seemed as if the conversation turned to focus on his health and her apprentice. Unable to hold back a fatherly smile at the thought of Startledpaw, he nodded along with her words. “Don’t apologize, you didn’t know.” He comforted, pressing his nose against her shoulder for a moment. “He was quite helpful. Gave me honey and poppy seeds and then we shared a meal.” Owlbelly broke off, eyebrows furrowed. Was that what it’s like to spend time with your son? Shaking the thought from his mind, smiling at her excitement. 

“Why don’t we do that then?”The tom suggested, ears twitching. “I haven’t in a while, it might be nice.” Owlbelly used to sneak out at night to see his mate and they would often lay by the flowers and pick them, admiring their beauty. It was a precious memory that he kept dear. However, the large tom had yet to go again since the loss of Poppytail. Turning his focus back to Nettlenose, Owlbelly cocked his head while waiting for a response. “It’s a beautiful night and we can talk about what’s bothering you, that is if you want to?” 

Nettlenose
    Participant

The cream colored tabby found herself deeply comforted by Owlbelly’s warm liquid-like voice and almost nurturing touch. She was quite sure she could tell this tom anything she possibly wanted to, he just seemed that trust-worthy.

“Thank you for eating with him also. He’s a good apprentice, truly, but I do think he needs more clanmates he can feel comfortable around. I’m sure he feels that way about you.” The medicine cat said contently, glad Owlbelly was kind enough to endure Startledpaw’s abrasive attitude.

You said he gave you honey and poppy seeds…that’s wise for soothing your throat and helping you sleep through your coughing. However, if you find yourself not completely healed just let me know and we’ll try a bit of catmint~” She added, wanting to ensure his illness was permanently gone.

Nettlenose didnt think the deputy could surprise her any further with his kindness, but then he offered that they actually go flower picking. Her round emerald eyes widened at the offer, head tilting with a curious interest. “…Really?” She asked softly. “Well, it is indeed a beautiful night isnt it? Why waste it! I’d love to!”

mahon [owl]
    Participant

owlbelly

Owlbelly let out a purr that slowly turned into a chuckle at her words of her apprentice. “It was no trouble. I hope he does feel comfortable around me, he’s a good kid. Just a bit rough around the edges.” The two-toned tom thoroughly believed that everyone had a bit of good and kindness inside them, even the grumpiest and angriest of felines. He couldn’t explain it, but he felt a need to care for the medicine cat apprentice. Owlbelly was well-aware that Nettlenose was a great mentor and medicine cat and didn’t doubt her abilities, but he wanted to help Startledpaw grow as well. Glancing at the pretty she-cat with a soft smile, he dipped his head in thanks. “Hopefully I just need a bit of rest but I’ll come to see you if I need more healing. If I don’t I’ll just come and visit.” He offered, hoping this was a chance for the two to become better friends. “That is if you don’t mind,” Owlbelly added politely, not wanting to distract her from her work.

Watching her reaction at his offer, the brown tom chuckled softly before pushing himself to his legs. Waiting for a moment as the medicine cat got up beside him, the tom motioned for her to lead the way. “It’s been a while since I’ve gone flower picking, so I’m afraid I don’t know the best place to go.” He explained sheepishly, ears growing hot. The tom looked up at the sky for a moment, enjoying the warm breeze that carried a lovely scent. As greenleaf approached and the weather grew warmer, the nights became more beautiful. The stars began to creep in the sky as the horizon began to turn gold and purple. It was beautiful. Turning his gaze back to Nettlenose, he let out a happy sigh as they made their way to pick flowers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Camp Owl and a Mouse