lost and found (harepaw && mercury)

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory lost and found (harepaw && mercury)

• This topic has 8 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by Vox.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Vox
    Participant
    mercury
    they/them  rouge
    Of all the clan territories they had seen at that point, Mercury was probably most fond of ShadowClan’s. Because the camp seemed to be hidden somewhere, they could traipse about within the borders with only the occasional patrol to worry about. It wasn’t exactly hard to pick out their colorful pelt wandering amongst the drop brown pine tree trunks, but they didn’t really care all that much. If they didn’t encounter anyone, that’d be great. And if they did? There might be some trouble, but at least it would be interesting and end the monotony of their day to day life.
    The orange cat stopped for a moment to taste the air in search of prey, but instead of the familiar scent of a mouse they were hoping for, they instead smelled another cat. Another cat that was way too close for comfort. Rather than run away and make themselves look like they were doing something wrong, Mercury stayed in place and sat down, making themselves comfortable as they waited for the ShadowClan cat to come to them.
    • This topic was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Vox.
    Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Goldenrod. That was what Harepaw had set out to find. Despite not being completely new to her training, she still struggled on where to find certain herbs, and so this trip was taking a bit longer than usual. Still, Harepaw was determined to do this right without Saplingskies’ help, and so that was how she came to be out in the territories alone. In fact, she had been so focused on this mission of hers that she hadn’t caught the smell of an unfamiliar cat until last minute. Harepaw was already rounding the corner when she saw the orange cat, and her eyes widened as she quickly went through her knowledge. It wasn’t a scent she fully recognized, although she’d been around two-leg place enough to know the smell of an outsider. It was a fair enough assumption that this feline wasn’t a loner, leaving her with the conclusion that they were a rogue.

If that wasn’t bad enough, Hornetstar had just forbidden the socialization with anyone outside of the clan except on patrols – was this a patrol? Harepaw didn’t think so. She swallowed roughly, glancing behind her. It was too late – the other cat had already seen her.

“Uh- Um, who are you? What are you do-doing here?” As if to try and seem more menacing, Harepaw’s fur fluffed up, although her stumped tail was quivering slightly. “Do you know that this- this is ShadowClan territory? You.. can’t be here.” Her whiskers twitched nervously, and her eyes bounced about.

Vox
    Participant

Mercury stifled a purr of amusement as the other cat fluffed up her fur to try and scare them. “Relaaax, I’m just wandering about, it’s not like I’m going to murder your whole clan,” they said, bringing a paw up to daintily groom their ear as they talked. “I know this is ShadowClan territory, but since when did rouges ever pay attention to the borders, eh?” Harepaw didn’t look like she was too much of a threat, so Merc didn’t think too much about being attacked. And besides, she was around their age so it would likely be a fair fight. No need to worry.

“The name’s Mercury. Nothin’ special to say about me. What’s your name?” Mercury asked with a tilt of the head. The more they looked at Harepaw, the more familiar they seemed to be. It could be just another encounter with a cat they had met before but didn’t remember, right? After all, they had met a lot of cats over the years. But this felt different somehow, and they were determined to find out what.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Vox.
    Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Harepaw glanced over her shoulder, as if she expected Hornetstar and a whole patrol of warriors to burst out of the undergrowth at any time. She wasn’t a rule-breaker, she never had been, but something in her gut was telling her she had to talk to this cat, and if being a medicine cat apprentice had taught her anything, it was that sometimes your destiny wasn’t in your paws. The patched cat glanced up, still on edge, but attentive and curious. Well as long as they aren’t hurting anything… I’m sure it’s okay for now… Harepaw decided, shuffling from paw to paw. “I’m Harepaw. Merycury is an… interesting name,” she hummed softly, her head tilting. “You’re a rogue. What are you- what are you actually doing here? You.. You can’t be hunting here, you know, Mercury.” A pause as she hummed softly, nervously. “I don’t know what being a rogue is like, but we need all the prey here we can get. We have a lot of mouths to feed, you- you know.”

Harepaw’s tail pressed up against her body tightly as she watched Mercury nervously. She hadn’t been trained in fighting yet – she knew she had to be careful with her words, otherwise she’d be a goner. Still, she didn’t get the impression they wanted to hurt her. She only hoped this was true. “Don’t you have your own places to be?”

Vox
    Participant

mercury
    they/them  rouge

“Harepaw, huh? That name’s as weird to me as mine is to you.” Mercury joked, a small grin spreading across their maw. “Yeah, I’m a rouge, and when did rouges ever care about borders, eh? I’m not here to hunt, I just find it amusing and fascinating how high strung you guys are, especially recently.” With a tsk-tsk, they started to pace back and forth slowly. Security had definitely been upped in the clans recently. They weren’t entirely sure why, but they did know that it meant they couldn’t just walk wherever they wanted anymore, and that was pretty frustrating.

However, Harepaw’s question of whether they had places to made Mercury’s mood immediately drop. The playful smile was wiped clean off their mouth, and their tail twitched angrily. “Well, my father is a piece of fox-dung that decided that wandering off to do who-knows-what was better than supervising the only child they have left, so I don’t have my own places to be other than wandering around too,” they spat, stopping their pacing to claw at the ground a bit and mutter some curses under their breath. “Sorry for ranting like that, I’m just a bit ticked off if you can’t tell.” Merc looked away embarrassedly, ashamed of how they let their temper get to them.

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Harepaw nodded at their comment about her name, offering a short smile, though she was still anxious and this could be seen through how she bounced on her paws. She nodded slowly, her fur settling slightly. “We-Well, as long as you aren’t hunting here or hurting anyone… Just don’t get caught.” Harepaw’s eyes were wide and focused on Mercury as they paced, making sure they didn’t get too close. And then their mood dropped.

Clearly Harepaw had made a mistake in asking that question, and she immediately took a few steps back away from the rogue in nervousness. “Well, I never knew my dad, so I guess we’re kind of the same in that way.” Harepaw offered softly, though her ears were pressed back against her skull. She cleared her throat, shaking her head. “It’s- uh, it’s okay. I’m sorry you’re upset.” She paused, and then figured that she might as well offer to listen, since listening to other cat’s problems was part of her job now. “Did you.. you want to talk about it?”

Vox
    Participant

mercury
    they/them  rouge

Mercury let out a shuddering breath as Harepaw offered to listen to them. They had bottled everything up for so long because that’s just what you were supposed to do as a rouge: grin and bear it because shit would only get worse from there. “Yeah, I might as well talk about it,” they said, giving Harepaw a weak smile. “So… My father took me away from my mother soon after me and my siblings were born. He wasn’t exactly close to my mom, like, at all. I don’t even think she cared about her.” Mercury sighed sadly and began to pace again before continuing, “So for some reason, he decided to take me as soon as I wasn’t dependent on my mom to live anymore, and left my siblings alone to be raised as clan cats. So that meant my mother wasn’t present in my life, and my dad is also barely present in my life as well because he doesn’t realize you have to actually put effort into raising a child. Aaaaaand that’s where my life is at the moment.” They sat back down and kneaded the ground nervously. “You had to put up with my rambling, so I might as well return the favor. Anything you need to get off your chest?”

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Harepaw’s kitty brows furrowed together as she listened to the rogue speak about what was troubling them… and it was fair. That was something that sounded troubling, and she could sympathize to some extent.

“I kind of get it. My father died in battle. Mom doesn’t like talking about it, I don’t even know what his name was. So I grew up with just my mom, but thankfully she took good care of us.” Hare sighed, glancing at the other cat. “I hope things get better for you. Maybe you’ll even run into your siblings sometime – who knows!” Then, her head tilted. “But, Mercury, maybe you shouldn’t go looking right now. There’s a lot of tension in between the Clans and if someone else finds you here – or any other territory – things could end really badly!”

This seemed to remind Harepaw of what she was doing and her eyes widened suddenly. “I’m sorry, I have to go. I-I shouldn’t even be talking to you right now.” Then a pause. “Maybe when this has all blown over we’ll see each other again. But until then you have to stay away or someone will find out you’re hanging around in ShadowClan territory.”

Vox
    Participant

Mercury nodded in sympathy as Harepaw talked about her father’s death. “I’m sorry about your father. I’m glad you had your mom to take care of you though, she seems like a good cat,” they said softly, giving her a small smile. The somber mood swifty became far more tense as she mentioned the tension within the clans. “Well, I suppose that means I must leave now,” Mercury stood up and stretched before continuing, “It was nice meeting you Harepaw. Maybe I’ll see you around here again, eh?” And with that the orange cat turned around and walked away towards the outskirts where they lived.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory lost and found (harepaw && mercury)