Lonely Midnight Shadows [Smoke + Raven]

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory Tall Pines Lonely Midnight Shadows [Smoke + Raven]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Lux
    Participant

Smokewisp – Shadowclan Deputy

The rustling of someone leaving their nest awoke Smokewisp. ‘Who was that?’ she wondered, rolling onto her paws. Her tousled fur stood on end, disheveled from her wild sleeping habits. Slinking forward she sniffed at the abandoned nest, still warm to the touch. ‘Lavender and honey …’ It took her a long moment to recall the familiar scent, which belonged to a dark tom named Ravenwatcher. He’d joined the clan some time ago, but had a tendency to keep to himself. He was a cat of few words but fierce determination.

She sighed, pushing her way outside of the warrior den and into the camp before following his scent outside. It was tinged with the pungent scent of fear and her heart quickened with concern.

Fog hung heavily in the air, masking both sound and sight. Even picking up the tom’s scent in the dense, moist air was difficult. So, when she happened to stumble upon him she bumped into his flank. “Ah! There you are!” she exclaimed, standing back tor rub her tickled nose with a paw. “Ravenwatcher, are you … alright? We’re not certain the territory is safe yet.

• This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Lux.
    Roach
    Participant

Ravenwatcher ~ Shadowclan Warrior

Blood. That’s all he could see as he stood in an unknown clearing. The once green grass was coated in blood, from what he could not tell. Cackles of laughter echoed in the stillness of the air. Raven remain frozen, his body would not move no matter how hard he tried or willed himself to do so. The laughter…was getting closer. Frantically searching for the source, ebony fur rising along his shoulders in fear. Something about the voice screamed familiar and that’s what terrified him the most. Flinching as the thick sticky blood slowly started to cover his paws, agonizingly creeping up his form. Gasps leaving his black rubbery hued lips at the feeling. Finally the laughing stopped, only for his mother; Menice to appear before him. Her dark grey pelt now a dark red with blood dripping from her lips. A delighted, yet menacing expression painted onto her features. “You betrayed us. You left us! You know what that means…” her cold yet silky voice caused his fur to stand on end. Her form left just as fast as it came, his heart beating so loudly and painfully against his chest that it rung in his ears as he wondered when this would end. “You will either join us or die” a haunting voice whispered before the blood rapidly started climbing. It’s imaginary paws grasping and pulling him down, suffocating him. Blood. That’s all he could taste and see before everything going black.

Shooting up right with a muffled gasp escaping his dried lips. His unique and stunning periwinkle blue eyes with lavender outlining the irises, were widened in fear. His dark fur damn from sweat that had accumulated during his nightmare. Nightmare. That’s all it was, and yet it disturbed him to no end. It had been a while since he had a nightmare, but this one took the top spot on how it affected him. Glancing around briefly before deciding that he would not be able to go back to sleep. Some fresh air would do him some good. As quiet as he possibly could with getting out of his nest, he rose to his large paws. His slender form and dark pelt helped him blend in and easily maneuver through the warriors den. His gaze narrowing in concentration before the luminous light of the moon provided as a guide for the warrior.

Closing his eyes in bliss at the feeling of the cool breeze against his flushed pelt. Sighing as he takes deep breaths of fresh air as he tries his best to calm the rapid beating of his heart. Without looking back, he pads away on the intentions of taking a nightly stroll as well in taking in the damage of Shadowclan himself. Raven’s long slim tail flicks side to side in graceful and fluid motion as the silence around him was peaceful, the only true sound that could be heard was the rustling of the leaves and crinkles chirping in harmony. He was so focused on everything else around him that the sound of approaching paw steps never reached his ears until feeling a figure bump into him.

A quiet gasp escapes the ebony tom, letting his piercing gaze land on the form of Smokewhisp; deputy of Shadowclan. Blinking at her for a moment as he processed her words carefully. Feathers white whiskers twitching in uncertainty, “Ah yes! I am fine…just needed some fresh air is all” he lies with a smile gracing his sharp, masculine features, hoping he was able to convince the she-cat before him.

Lux
    Participant

Yes, completely fine and covered in the scent of fear,” Smokewisp mewed. Her brows were furrowed with annoyance. ‘What a terrible liar,’ she silently noted. The dark tom wouldn’t get away so easily. “I’m fine with you avoiding my question, but don’t fib like a kit,” she snorted. “I’m just another cat in the dark enjoying the midnight mists.

She plopped down next to him, shifting her weight off her scarred leg. Comfort was rare and precious during the colder night as old wounds ached beneath the chill. It grieved her, reminding her of bitter days and difficult fights.

It’s peaceful like this,” she whispered. Small-talk wasn’t her expertise, but it seemed as if the tom could use some company. At least until the scent of fear had ebbed from his ruffled pelt. Though, her reprimand might’ve gotten under his fur. “I tend to stay awake late into the night as well, whether it be old wounds or bitter memories clawing my mind. I won’t pester you, of course. But I can keep you company until you’re prepared to return. After all, you’re on the dawn patrol.” She smirked, knowing full well that he hadn’t been assigned the dawn patrol. But, it was an excellent excuse to push him towards his nest.

Roach
    Participant

Wincing ever so slightly as Smokewisp easily called him out on the fear clinging to his pelt. Paper thin ears twitching as he felt a bit embarrassed for not thinking that the after facts of his nightmare would be present. Smiling sheepishly toward the she-cat, glad that she wasn’t prodding for what had caused his fear, but reminded him how childish it would be to lie any further. Settling down on the cold ground, the contrast of temperature felt utmost amazing against the warmth of his pelt. Shifting his tall form, getting into a more comfortable position before letting his tail wrap around his paws. A carefree laugh escapes him after he gets over his embarrassment, “That was a terrible lie wasn’t it?” He mused with a grin.

Eyeing her in the corner of his eye, his brows furrowed as she plopped down next to him. Eyes glistening with amusement as he silently watches her shuffle about before stilling in a position that she was content with. Her soft, yet gruff voice filled the air around them as she spoke. His periwinkle and lavender eyes flicker about, his sleek black pelt glistening in the moonlight. Revealing his slender, yet muscular build, as well for the horrid scar that stretched from the back of his neck to his right shoulder blade, the dull light made the claw marks all the more prominent. Smokewisp was indeed correct,  the environment and the comfortable silence around them were definitely peaceful.

Raven wasn’t the most social feline within Shadowclan, as he tended to keep to himself. It wasn’t like it was on purpose or personal, but with dealing with solitude for so long, you get use to the silence. Ravenwatcher has grown up in an environment that he could only speak when spoken to, that his thoughts and opinions did not matter, and there would be consequences if he stepped out of line. Frowning ever so slightly at the thought, he certainly had come a long way from where he began. Though he certainly had more growing to do within Shadowclan. His tense form began to relax as he listened to Smokewisp talk, something about her voice soothed his worries. Biting his lower lip as she mentioned bitter memories, he knew that feeling all too well.

“I suppose I wouldn’t mind some company” he agreed with a small smile. Though his smile quickly disappeared as cute clueless look of confusion took over his features. Dawn patrol? Since when did he have that? Narrowing his eyes playfully at the deputy,“Tsk someone is abusing their power” he joked with a soft chuckle. “Taking advantage of a mentally shaken feline into tricking him for patrol? Absurd!” Ravenwatcher teased, flicking the tip of his tail in content. He truly did not mind going on early morning patrol, just wanted to have some fun teasing the usually emotionally strict she-cat.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Roach.
    Lux
    Participant

Smokewisp snorted, amused by the dark tom’s accusation. “Abuse of power? Impossible, I’d never do such a thing,” she mewed. “I’m Merely coaxing a clanmate back to his den. It’d be unfortunate if you overslept. I have a nasty habit of sending the apprentices in to wake-up the late risers,” she gave a light laugh, but she wasn’t joking. She’d always been one for creative punishment.

Several moments passed as the two watched the fog roll by, swirling like the all too familiar floodwaters. Her pelt prickled, discomforted by such fresh memories. The clan had suffered very few losses, minus the destruction of their camp. But, it was a stark reminder of how fragile life could be. Stability could be gone in a flash. She sighed, trying to set her troubled thoughts aside. Worrying about the past- or the future- wouldn’t do them any good.

Her gaze shifted towards Ravenwatcher. ‘He looks content,’ her lips curled in the semblance of a smile. The scent of fear had faded from his pelt. “Seems you calm down quickly,” she mewed. “Perhaps we should turn in before our clanmates notice we’re missing?

Roach
    Participant

Ravenwatcher ~Shadowclan Warrior

Snorting in amusement as she denied his words. Shaking his wedged cranium in delight that she seemed to be showing that hidden humor that he knew she had. “Whatever helps you sleep at night” he smiled softly before looking away to enjoy the fog floating through the lower ground, speckles of dew glistening in the moonlight. Raven could never get tired of nature around him, always amazing him at the scenery around him. Though nature wasn’t always beautiful, the hurricane proved that nature could be just as dangerous as enchanting. His heart was finally slowing down to normal rhythm, the cool air drying his once damp pelt. “Oh yes…I have heard of your little punishments to slackers” Ravenwatcher hummed, he had never personally fell victim to her creative ways to get others moving, but he certainly has observed and seen the outcome.

Closing his eyes in bliss as he did not want this moment to end. Sleep was the last thing on his mind, the nightmare had surely woken the warrior up. Without opening his eyes, he replied, “I know we should head back, and yet …I don’t want to leave” he gives a weak laugh. He was fine now, but couldn’t help but think of what would happen if he dared to close his eyes again. Maybe seeing Saplingskies and Hareflight about herbs to ease his sleep wouldn’t be such a bad idea, though the warrior hadn’t being seen as a burden. “Do you like being deputy?” He suddenly questioned. In a way he was stalling his return back to camp, and in another way he was curious of her reply. Did she regret her position in any way? Or did she believe that she was chosen as deputy for a reason?

Lux
    Participant

Smokewisp nodded solemnly, silently agreeing with Ravenwatcher. If she went back- if she slept- the next day would be upon her. She sighed, her chilled breath joining the dancing fog. Too many duties, too much responsibility, and never enough time. “You can almost forget about everything up here,” she murmured. “Almost …

The dark tom’s question took her by surprise. Her back and shoulders instinctively straightened as her mind slipped into her “deputy” persona, which she clung so dearly to during work. She groaned inwardly, wishing she could loosen up. Ravenwatcher might even find her change in demeanor comical at this rate.

I’m very capable at my work,” she said hesitantly. “I owe it all to my father, honestly. I believe he always aspired for me to become deputy. Or, at least that’s the only way I can excuse the hours of training and lectures I endured.” She frowned, knowing she hadn’t quite answered his question. “It’s an honor to be deputy, and Hornetstar believes I was the natural choice to replace Tawnypainter. That alone is remarkable, since we know how picky he can be,” she laughed nervously. “But, if I’m being honest it’s impossibly difficult work. All the recent hardships have made things incredibly hard, and there’s always more to do. We haven’t even found our permanent home yet.” She turned, her intense gaze upon Ravenwatcher. “I’m a regular cat, doing my best like all the rest. Some days I’m uncertain if I’ll make it through. Especially since Hornetstar has been acting strange lately. I can’t bring myself to bother him over trivial things when he’s already stressed.

Roach
    Participant

Periwinkle and lavender hues gleaming with amusement as he watches her tense up on a former position at the mention of ‘deputy’. Course the dark feline knew that she took her duties and position seriously as everyone should, he was just curious if she ever wondered why she was chosen? That what was the specific reason that made Hornetstar stop and decide that yes, she would make an excellent deputy. Raven thought Hornetstar had chosen the perfect feline to withhold such a high position within Shadowclan. He just felt that Smokewisp tended to doubt her worth, when she had absolutely nothing to worry about. With everything that had happened as of recently wasn’t answer enough. Humming softly to himself as he listens attentively to her words.

Nodding his slender, wedged cranium in agreement to her take of becoming deputy. It made sense in a way, she had always been groomed for the part, so it was only a matter of time before being chosen for what she was trained for. “Oh I know Hornetstar can be picky” he laughed before a small frown forming on his lips. He could just remember as if it was yesterday; when he came upon Shadowclan and wanted to stay. Now he hadn’t been leader at the time but a deputy that had strong opinions. Raven had been worried at the time to be turned away to live back in the wilds by himself, to fend for himself, and yet; here he was. 

Blinking away the memories with a bitter sweet feeling before catching the ending of her words. “Well, I believe that you are the perfect feline for the position and that you are doing very well” Ravenwatcher praises with a warm grin. “Everyone is under stress and grief over the loss of our home, but yet seeing our leader and deputy remain strong in such troubling times, brings some hope.” He muttered his response with a small shrug. “I never thought I would be here: in a clan, as a warrior, surrounded by so many companions…” he trails of as he mentally adds; ‘and still manage to feel alone’ though that thought was quickly shoved to the deepest and darkest parts of his mind to not feel any further.

Lux
    Participant

Ah, we’re not as strong as we appear,” Smokewisp shuffled her paws. “But we do what we must to keep everyone comfortable and secure.” She’d always been talented at faking appearances. It was a survival technique she’d developed during her apprenticeship. Her father demanded for her to keep a regal and controlled appearance at all times, whether it was genuine or not. She frowned, discomforted by such memories.

Her ears pricked at Ravenwatcher’s words. She’d nearly forgotten the dark tom’s history. “I’m glad you’re here, Shadowclan isn’t exactly known for being cool and collected. So, your presence certainly helps balance us,” she laughed. “Do you ever wonder what it’d be like if you hadn’t joined us? I’m sure being a rogue had its charms,” she raised an inquisitive eyebrow. She didn’t mean to pry him for answers, but she knew little of life outside the clans. Of course, during her apprenticeship she’d considered running away. But, fear and anxiety had kept her paws firmly rooted within the clan.

Roach
    Participant

“To be honest…I don’t think I would be the same if I was still a rogue” he answered simply and truthfully. Pursing his black rubbery hued lips in thought, his periwinkle eyes clouding. His time as a rogue had not been a pleasant one, sure he was surrounded by those he should have considered family, yet that was far from it. Ravenwatcher or Drizzt when he was a rogue was raised to be a fighter, to simply obey his mother and older sisters. The oriental tom was trained as a solider to follow orders even if it meant disposing those who were innocent. He knew that was not the life he wanted to live, he could not stand spilling blood with no reason.  No matter how many times he tried to be the voice of reason, males in his rogue group were looked down upon. Males were only needed to help protect and reproduce, nothing else. While the she-cats held control and malicious power. The prominent scar on his slender form was proof enough that his vicious sister; Briza, did not take well to his words.

Years living in such environment had caused him to retreat into himself, to learn how to keep his emotions in check and lie on the spot. Sure his skill has lessened since his time within Shadowclan, but if the time ever arose, he would be able to hide his inner thoughts to protect himself. When he had finally found the strength to run away, it was as if a ton of weight had lifted off his shoulders. Yet, he never felt more alone when he was alone in the wilds, defending and hunting by himself.  An alter ego of some sorts had been formed, “the hunter”, a defense mechanism that had been created during his time of solitude that would come upon him when he needed it most. Shaking his head to clear the raging of thoughts muddling his mind. Sighing as he gives Smokewisp a small smile.

“Being a rogue isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. Sure you have endless freedom, but also silence and no one to have your back. While in a Clan, you are never truly alone” he hummed his thoughts out loud before letting his gaze flicker around, watching the fog slowly ebb away as the sun slowly peeks over the horizon. “It would seem that we have been up for a while” Ravenwatcher observed with a twinkle in his unique eyes. “Do I still have dawn patrol?” He teased with a cheeky grin as he looks at the grey multicolored she-cat.

Lux
    Participant

‘It’d be rude to ask,’ Smokewisp silently rebuked her curiosity at the dark tom’s reply. His words were heavy with sorrow, as if recalling long lost wounds. ‘So many things lie beyond our borders, and I’ll never experience them,’ she sighed to herself. She loved her clan, but the vastness of the world intrigued her. Wide open moores and silent forests existed not too far away, unclaimed and untouched by the clans. If it weren’t for her duties she’d love to explore them, enjoying the freedom of solitude.

The loneliness Ravenwatcher spoke of sounded almost appealing. She already had a habit of solitude, often preferring to handle things herself rather than delegating duties. The smokey she-cat couldn’t tolerate willful incompetence, and would often turn her back upon those who failed her. An admitted mistake was one thing, but brash negligence was another. Clan cats were proud, stubborn creatures who often jumped to hostility beneath accusation.

She turned, watching the first rays of dawn peek over the pines. “Sometimes there’s beauty in solitude,” she murmured quietly. “I love my clan, but sometimes I wonder if I’d have been better off leaving during my apprenticeship.” She looked at Ravenwatcher with a serious expression. “Yet, if I had left then our paws wouldn’t have crossed paths.” She stood, feeling self-conscious as she gave her chest a few quick licks. “Of course you’re still on dawn patrol,” she smirked. “Better get those last few winks while you can, I’ll be waiting for all of you.

Roach
    Participant

Ravenwatcher ~Shadowclan Warrior 

Tilting his slender wedged cranium as he silently observes Smokewisp. His periwinkle lavender orbs glistening brightly in the faint morning light. A warm glow settling in the small clearing they reside in, the reddish orange and yellow leaves sparkling with droplets of morning dew. A calming aura surrounding them as the forest around them comes to life. Soft chirps of birds singing their  routine songs to celebrate a new day, dried leaves crumbling away, specks of dust could be seen floating in the cool air. He could tell that she was in deep thought, by the way her brows furrowed as she stares at nothing but everything at the same time. He was curious to know what she was thinking, but knew from personal experience that some things were better kept hidden. Yes, he missed being on his own, in a way. Having no care in the world, just living in the moment, feeling free. Though it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows, as he was always living from one day to the next, he never knew when which day could be his last. The solitude— could be a blessing or a curse, it could be calming or deafening.

Raven never thought he would find a place where he truly belonged. He never belonged with his family and their makeshift clan of sorts, he didn’t have the heart or should he say the lack of. The tall sleek black tom respected life and only killed to protect or to survive, he did not believe in killing for power. The day he crossed paths with a Shadowclan patrol was the best and most nerve wracking moment of his life. He had been out on his own for almost two years, always traveling, never staying in one place. That was until he learned that there were other cats out in the wilderness that were more civilized in a sense when it came to living. Clan life has and still fascinates him, he still had much to learn as he had only been a warrior for a few moons, even though he had been living in Shadowclan over a year, he had to go through apprenticeship like anyone else. Now those first few months were confusing and exhausting, never-mind awkward as he was the oldest apprentice during that time.

Snapping back into reality as Smokewisp breaks the comforting silence around them. His gaze focusing back on the Smokey she-cat with interest as she states her thoughts on the idea of being alone as a rogue or loner. “Yes solitude can be a beautiful thing” he agreed softly before adding, “But it grows old after a while” he sighs with a small smile adorning his masculine features. “If you weren’t deputy, you might get away with sneaking away every once in a while. But since that’s not the case…” he pauses. “Right now in this moment…seems like a perfect place to hide away” he mutters as if he did not want to disturb the stillness in the air. Blinking in surprise at her words before a small grin pulling at his lips, “I believe we would have run into each-other eventually. Whether that be you being a rogue or I still being one” Ravenwatcher spoke, his voice deep and smooth, filling the quiet air around them. He wouldn’t admit but he was touched that she valued him enough to voice her thoughts on what if their paths had never crossed if it had gone another way.

Inwardly groaning as he watches her rise to her paws, knowing what was coming next. ‘Dawn patrol’ he thought with a soft huff as he knew that he would have to leave his little sanctuary. “Oh there is no way I am going to get any sleep now” he laughed as he looks around, the once dark sky was a dusky blue as the sun rose into the sky to indicate that the morning was upon them. Rising slowly to his large paws, muscles flexing under his sleek pelt at the movements as he stretches quickly. A sigh of content escaping him, “Definitely going to need to full my stomach before the patrol” he says mostly to himself. Padding a few lengths away from Smokewisp before pausing, looking over his shoulder, his unique gaze narrowing at her before gesturing her to follow along. “Come on. Let’s grab something to eat. Knowing you; you are coming on patrol. If that’s the case you need to eat or your stomach will be talking the whole time” he grins as he patiently waits for the smokey molly to catch up.

Lux
    Participant

The mist around camp began to lighten, taking on a light orange hue. She watched, imagining the swirls as fire, ripping through the forest and tearing away clan-life. Her stomach churned, disgusted with her own thoughts. ‘What am I doing,’ she silently scolded herself as she regained control of her thoughts. ‘I don’t hate it here, this is ridiculous. I just wish I could be… free.’ All of this rambling was causing her mind to stray in dangerous ways. She didn’t resent her duties, but she sincerely wished her choices had been different. Or, that she’d at least been a bit more rebellious during her early years.

She stretched, her streaked pelt camouflaging well against the mists. She gave the tom a coy smile as she replied, “I’d imagine things to be quite different, if we had both started out as rogues. I have to admit, a clan of two doesn’t sound too bad,” she snorted, amused by the notion. “The difference here is that there are sometimes too many pairs of eyes watching your back, when you really only need one.” She mulled over the tom’s proposition before shaking her head. “I’ll be there, likely leading the way. But, there’s mouths to feed and prey to hunt. Go ahead, I always have my best luck on mornings like these. I’ll snatch a couple of fresh prey so the queens and elders don’t have to eat cold stringy meat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory Tall Pines Lonely Midnight Shadows [Smoke + Raven]