Let Us Begin (Wolf&Desert) [CLOSED]

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory Rolling Moors Let Us Begin (Wolf&Desert) [CLOSED]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Wolfstar
    Participant

~W O L F S T A R~
    WindClan Leader

Wolfstar sat at the top of the tallest hill in WindClan territory. His tail was curled neatly around his body, the tip flicking back and forth as he stared at the gloomy clouds that were on the other side of the lake. It almost seemed threatening, with their dark gray colors and swollen bodies full of water that would soon rain down on their camp with an incredible force. It wasn’t often that it rained during Greenleaf, but when it did it was usually a terrible storm. Maybe it’s StarClan’s punishment for the other Clans because of their awful behavior. Wolfstar lifted his nose up, anger once again boiling in his belly at the thought of the others. He peeled his attention away from the storm and towards the mountain range that loomed over the edge of their territory, their cliffs and formations intimidating. However, they were appealing to Wolfstar when he thought of the possibility of WindClan separating from the other Clans to have their own life in new terrain. How wonderful it sounded to never have to go to another Gathering where he would have to listen to the other leader’s gripe and groan, to never fight them over territory, or to never ask their permission to change a rule if their Clan wanted. 

It was a delicious thought, but he couldn’t do anything of that sort alone. Wolfstar gazed towards the direction of the WindClan camp, searching for Desertrose’s pelt. He had asked her to visit him at the tallest hill in their territory to talk things through. He didn’t trust that no one would listen in case they tried to change his mind: not even Goldenrose. Besides, he knew he needed to tell her of his deal with Sky after bringing the rogue in. The gray-and-white leader closed his eyes and lifted up a paw to clean it, his tongue rasping over the top fur rhythmically. So many new things would be happening for his Clan, and he felt proud that he was changing their lives. He had been underneath the grasps of the leader’s for too long, and it was time for him to step up and create his own destiny. Neither Wisteriastar nor Hornetstar would be in his way this time. He had four more lives left to make up for the last five, and he planned on doing so as soon as he could. 

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

Grateful that Wolfstar had found the time to have a one-on-one conversation with her, hopefully to discuss everything that had been going on, Desertrose’s mood lifted significantly with every step she took away from camp. It would be a relief to finally get to speak with him. Every time they did, she always felt better. Once she’d pinpointed the hill where Wolfstar’s familiar dark pelt sat, she quickly ascended the small slope to join him. Her amber eyes turned to look at him, not really sure how he’d been feeling as of late until she saw the steely look in his eyes and his nostrils flare. Awareness moved through her at that, and she sucked in a quiet breath. He looked none the worse for wear after the battle between all of the clans. Aside from seemingly being a completely different tom, though, he still held the same air as when she’d apprenticed under him; supremely contained and quietly powerful. That, at least, comforted her. Sitting down, she looked ahead at the slate grey clouds that hung over the territory. “Come here often?” she asked, offering him a friendly smile in the hopes that it would help relax him.

Wolfstar
    Participant

W O L F S T A R
    ~WindClan Leader~

It wasn’t long before Wolfstar was able to see Desertrose’s spotted-golden pelt shimmering underneath the sunlight at the bottom of the hill. As usual, she looked excited to be speaking with him, and he dipped his head when she finally joined him at the top. They had been close ever since he had trained her as an apprentice, and he was grateful to have someone he completely trusted. She was the most determined apprentice of his, and she was highly respected amongst the Clan, which made him proud. Normally, he would have chuckled at Desertrose’s sarcastic greeting, but his face expression didn’t change. Instead, he nodded towards the mountain tops. “We need to leave here, Desertrose. WindClan needs to separate from the other Clans. I know you’ve heard me say this before, but I really mean it. I plan on us moving by next moon and I don’t want the others to know. Not even Hollystar.” He turned back to lock gazes with Desertrose, his expression serious.

He didn’t give her much time to react before continuing. “I allowed a rogue to join WindClan earlier. She’s not just any rogue: she knows Kass personally. And she has plans to…take Kass out on her accord. I said I would be a willing participant. If Kass isn’t out of our way then we won’t be able to get Hollystar to join us. We’ll rule the tops of those mountains, Desertrose.” His blue eyes gleamed with anxiousness to get these plans underway. 

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

It wasn’t until then that she realized how far gone he truly was. While his voice had lacked its usual warmth, that did not alarm her as much as the look in his eyes. The golden deputy nearly shivered at the sight of Wolfstar’s gaze when they met with hers. They were a stony, hopeless blue, and as he spoke, Desertrose began to look even more troubled than before. For a heartbeat she hesitated to speak. Wolfstar had always been a dependable leader, wise and true, but something in him had undoubtedly changed. Fear gripped her as she struggled to understand his way of thinking and how these decisions could threaten the entirely of Windclan. After everything they had endured to keep their clan safe, she couldn’t believe that he would suggest something so.. extreme. 

Desertrose took a deep breath to steady herself. “Wolfstar,” she began slowly. “You know that I would do anything for you,” her eyes were soft and pleading as if trying to reach him, “I’ve always supported you.” Truthfully there had never been a time where she had to speak out against him. Even when she didn’t agree with him, she stood by him. “But.. is this truly a good idea? Are you sure this is what you want to do?” she asked him in the hopes that maybe, by some chance, he might think about it and reconsider.

Wolfstar
    Participant

W O L F S T A R
    ~WindClan Leader~

Why did Desertrose not seem as excited as he was over this new plan? He had expected her eyes to gleam with determination, but instead they were dull with worry and hesitation. Wolfstar stood up and began to pace in front of her, keeping his gaze upon her face, his eyebrows furrowing with disappointment. Why was she hesitating? “Of course this is what I want to do,” he answered her with a scoff. “This should be what you want to do as well, Desertrose. You’ve seen it yourself that we have been pushed around by the other Clans for long enough. It didn’t start me with, it’s been something that the leaders before me dealt with as well. For some reason, WindClan is looked at as weak, which is why I ordered combat training everyday for our warriors and apprentices a moon ago. We need to be strong and ready for anything. Hornetstar and Wisteriastar have already proven they’re reckless and won’t let anything get in the way of their goals. I will die before WindClan’s downfall becomes one of those goals!” His eyes narrowed and he stopped pacing for a moment to look towards the mountains. 

This is what we are going to do. It isn’t up for discussion. Kass was born a rogue and will always be a rogue. She doesn’t even truly go by the name Bluefire because she knows she’ll never live up to a warrior name. Besides, Hollystar would never agree to join if Kass doesn’t approve as well. She may be a good leader, but she is still young and makes stupid and kit-like decisions sometimes. Kass must have brainwashed her to become her mate so she could have power.” Wolfstar shook his head, the anger getting stronger and stronger, but he kept his claws sheathed and his expression blank so he wouldn’t seem crazed to Desertrose. He wanted this plan to work, and he didn’t want anyone stopping him if he acted too strongly . “I’m telling you so you’re on the same page, and we need to send patrols up to the mountains to get a good look at where we will be living.”

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

His scathing tone, along with the obvious hurt and confusion in his voice made her chest ache. Desertrose could hardly bear to see the look in his eyes as he began to pace in front of her. When she first set out to speak with him, she thought that she would feel relieved to be here, yet instead she felt even worse than before. Never did she consider that they would be talking about this, and that she would be faced with such a difficult decision. An unfamiliar and wholly uncomfortable feeling twisted in her stomach, and she could only assume that this is what heartbreak felt like.

If it wasn’t for her strong sense of ethics, she might have stopped trying to argue with him, but her loyalty and fear for Windclan’s wellbeing gave her the strength to try again. Desertrose thought rapidly, making one last attempt to convince him. There had to be something she could say to snap him out of it. “I understand, and I will support you as I always have, but Wolfstar,” she protested, “This journey will be more than dangerous. There is a chance we’ll lose many of our warriors— some are even unfit to travel.” There were a few that came to mind immediately. His own mate, his son, and even an apprentice by the name of Falconpaw, who was still in need of their medicine cat, would be unable to go with them. “And what of Starclan? We will going against them by leaving the territory. They will certainly be angry with us.”

Wolfstar
    Participant

W O L F S T A R
    ~WindClan Leader~

Desertrose’s face fell with worry and anxiety as he spoke, and he wanted to lash out and yell at her to ask her why she was so hesitant with this plan. They had been talking about this for moons, had they not? Or was it just he? It didn’t matter; what mattered was that they needed to leave the Clans and be done with their drama forever. Nothing good had come out of living with the others, especially for WindClan. For some reason, they believed his Clan was weak, and he would prove to them that they could be strong without them breathing down their necks. Wolfstar relaxed slightly when Desertrose agreed to support him no matter what, and he gave her a nod of approval, his tail twitching. “It’s not that dangerous if we send out patrols to check the area out and find us a new home. We will start small, and send our weakest first. It shouldn’t be that hard to do.” He gazed up at the mountain tops. They were beautiful and they stood majestic, taller than the trees in SkyClan and ThunderClan. 

At the mention of StarClan, he gave her a reassuring smile. “StarClan is on my side. They have sent Startledcrow a message and I believe it is a warning for the others to stay out of our way…they just don’t know it’s about that yet. Wherever we go, StarClan will follow, I promise. Besides, it’s not too far away from where we are now. Silverpelt will look exactly the same there as it does here.” This was all going to work out, and if Desertrose believed him and trusted in him fully, then she would know that he wouldn’t do anything to hurt their Clan in such a way that StarClan would leave them. “Why are you doubting me, Desertrose? You say you support me, but I can see in your eyes that you worry. Have I done anything to ruin your trust?”

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

Desertrose felt lost. Just as she’d feared, Wolfstar was beyond reasoning, and there was no point in trying to dissuade him when his mind was already made up. He was careless in his anger, ready to lash out at anyone and everyone in his way, even her. For fear of angering him any more, she elected to not respond. To disagree with him would be to potentially start a war within her own clan, and she didn’t want that.

Desertrose watched as he gazed over towards the mountains in his stormy silence. His eyes were shadowed with exhaustion, and he looked so very worn. She held her breath, fighting the tears that made her throat ache. To see him this way was more than overwhelming. When Wolfstar finally turned to face her, there was a fleeting moment of relief. The set of blue eyes that settled on her were kind and familiar. It was easy to feel comforted by the confidence behind his reassurance, though it was just her incessant need to rely on him that made her want to believe him. Despite knowing better, she began to thaw. Her bewildered fury and concerns temporarily subverted by his calming words.

His next question hit her like a kick to the chest. While it hurt to hear him ask her that, Desertrose was very still when she spoke, her eyes betraying nothing. “No, Wolfstar,” she said in a quiet and steady voice, “You’ve done nothing to betray my trust. I believe in you just as I always have. I only wanted to make sure that you were sure in your decision.” It was a blatant lie, but what else could she do? She didn’t want to go against Wolfstar.

Wolfstar
    Participant

W O L F S T A R
    ~WindClan Leader~

Wolfstar’s shoulders relaxed and his tail tip twitched, pleased with her answer. Of course he hadn’t done anything to make him untrustworthy towards his own deputy. His whole leadership and warrior life was dedicated to make his Clan strong and worthy of being part of the Clan’s. But what if that wasn’t what was meant to be? What if he should have been focusing on WindClan’s independence the entire time? I wasted so much time not doing that. Now I’m getting too old for this, and it’ll be Desertrose’s turn soon. He smiled at his deputy and placed his tail on her shoulder. “I’m proud of you, Desertrose. I’m glad that you’re by my side and that you’ll be my successor. I couldn’t have chosen a better cat.” 

There was peace in his heart for a few moments as he thought of how strong and brave his apprentice grew up to be. Wolfstar had several kits, but he always found Desertrose to be one of his own, finding himself within her personality, ferocity, and dedication. She reminded him a lot of himself, and a lot of Cremefur, his lost mate. Maybe that was why he chose to be her mentor…she had a fire to her that was just like Cremefur’s. Wolfstar cleared his throat and dropped his tail, but a purr still rumbled in his chest. “The Clan is lucky to have you, Desertrose. I always thought it would either be you or Thistleheart who would be a deputy someday.” His heart ached at the thought of Thistleheart, missing the tabby’s bright energy and curiosity. He gave his life to save an apprentice only a few sunrises after his warrior naming ceremony, and he felt the loss like he had been run over by a monster. But seeing Desertrose grow up to be strong and a loyal warrior gave him security that their Clan would be well taken care of when he was gone. “Alright, let’s get back to the Clan. I’m sure everyone is wondering where we are at.” He comfortingly brushed against Desertrose’s shoulder blade with his own and started heading back down the hill. 

Suddenly, Wolfstar stopped mid-step. A crushing pain just on one side of his head came and went in a sharp pattern. It made him squeeze his eyes shut and lower his head to look away from the bright sky above. He bit his lip trying not to groan, and his tail lashed with pain. There was a ringing in his ears that got louder and louder, and Wolfstar found himself sitting down on the grassy hill, his muscles clenching with agony. Then as quick as it had come, it went away. Wolfstar sighed and shook out his long coat, the headache disappearing. “Great StarClan,” he murmured, nodding to Desertrose to show him he was okay. “I’ve been getting a lot of those lately. It’s probably from stress. Anyways, let’s go.” As if it had never happened, Wolfstar continued to pad towards the camp side by side with his deputy.

Shy
    Participant
    Desertrose
    The Deputy of Windclan

Desertrose’s heart twisted painfully. Under any other circumstance, his praise would have made her heart leap with joy, but it was difficult to feel joyful about anything when so much was at stake. The fate of her clan weighed heavily in the balance, and as much as she wanted to talk to Eveningstorm about this, she couldn’t ask any of her clanmates  for advice once she returned to camp. A deputy should never question their leader’s orders, and never had she felt so helpless being bound by the warrior code.

When the Wolfstar fell silent, she dipped her head graciously. “Thank you, Wolfstar,” she meowed in appreciation, amber eyes meeting his gaze steadily, “It has been an honor being both your apprentice and deputy. I couldn’t have done it without you.” While that much was true, even as he stood before her, the strong leader she had apprenticed under seemed so very far away. 

Desertrose nodded in agreement, eager to get away from Wolfstar, and even more eager to escape reality in the soft lining of her bed. Yet, before she could even take one step towards camp, Wolfstar had stopped to sit down, and she soon realized that something wasn’t right. “Wolfstar??” she circled around to stand in front of him, eyes wide with concern. The golden deputy stood motionless for a few moments, her head spinning with fear and confusion until he stood back up as if nothing had happened. Oh, Starclan.. Desertrose watched as he headed in the direction of camp, too tired too suggest seeing Startledcrow and soon following wordlessly behind him. Hopefully after getting some rest she’d know what to do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory Rolling Moors Let Us Begin (Wolf&Desert) [CLOSED]