It Comes Back To You

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory Fishing Stones It Comes Back To You

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Dusk held the woodlands of RiverClan’s hunting grounds in it’s bronze-hued clutches, a flaming sun sinking slowly behind sharp black silhouettes of trees set the river itself ablaze in reflection. Calm waters lapping gently at the shore like tongues of lava as the crickets raised their voices in riotous song. One might almost mistake this for a calm fall eve, were it not for the stifling temperature.

One of RiverClan’s Warriors Rainysky picked carefully among the stones, calculatively leaping from one to another in brief fluid motions. The tom believed he was alone, at least that was until he heard a thud nearby. Head snapping up, his long wispy ears attentively perked up. He followed the disturbance until he spied one of the Clan’s apprentices Sharkpaw on the beach of pebbles, he appeared to be practicing moves. A twisting leap, but he he landed awkwardly on his side each time. Rainysky couldn’t help but smile smally, it reminded him of his own late night practices. Absent only was his father Grayfang standing overhead, drilling relentlessly.

He realized just staring from an undisclosed location was, if not suspect, at the very least unhelpful. Venturing cautiously forth he raised his voice, wincing internally as it squeaked from disuse.

“That one’s a hard one…..want me to show you the secret trick to it?”

SoliloquySilver
    Participant

Thud.

Sharkpaw landed hard on the pebbles, a pitiful whimper escaping him. It was obvious he had been at this for a while.

“Ouch…” he mumbled, slowly pushing himself to his paws. Tears were beginning to well up in the young tom’s eyes. “I’ll never get it right…” he whispered, sniffling as he glared down at his paws. He suddenly jumped when he noticed someone approaching him and flattened his ears to his skull with embarrassment.

“I-I’m sorry Rainysky, I didn’t think anybody else would be out now…” he averted his gaze, whimpering softly. He expected the warrior to scold him. “Were you out here hunting? Did I scare away your prey with all the noise I was making? I’m sorry-” he paused, and a confused look crossed his face when instead of being angry, the older tom offered to help him.

“S-secret trick?” he asked, tilting his head. An excited glint twinkled in his eyes for a brief moment, but it suddenly died. The young apprentice shrunk back a bit, quickly looking down at the ground “I don’t want to be a bother…” he murmured quietly, shuffling his paws.

Chris
    Participant

Immediately sensing the youth’s discomfort, he did his best to untangle his own trepidation and convey, to the best of his ability via his body language, that all was well and he intended no harm either emotional or physical. Somehow, he felt it was what would calm him best in the moment, so it was all he could think to do.

“If it was a bother I wouldn’t have offered.” He smiled, taking only one pawstep forward. “I just came out here to think anyways, but I can do that any old time.” He assured the Apprentice.

“So, about that move,” He began, eyes analyzing Sharkpaw’s proportions to see how best to approach it. Every cat was different, and what had worked for him could require some modification to work for the other tom. But if it was for RiverClan, it was well worth his time. “When you jump, I know it feels like if you don’t snap your paws back down immediately you’ll hit the ground hard, but really you want to trust your body to flip the full way. It’s hard when you’re smaller and have, less, well, body. When you get bigger this is going to get much easier.” Instructed the silver tabby smoothly, then he took a running start and performed the technique as though he’d done it a thousand times. And, in all honesty, he had. He landed gracefully, and not at all out of breath.

“For now, it’s about trust. I know it’s a little scary, you might not want to trust your body. But trust me if you can’t trust it. If I can do it I know you can!” He purred.

SoliloquySilver
    Participant

Sharkpaw watched as Rainysky showed off the move. He made it look so easy! The apprentice shuffled his paws awkwardly, shyly looking down at the ground.

“Papa-” Sharkpaw flinched, remembering that his father didn’t like being referred to as such. “Um, Stoneheart says that I can’t do it because I’m too small, slow-witted, and my tail is too stumpy…” It wasn’t a secret that Stoneheart wasn’t kind to his young son, who was also his apprentice. Sharkpaw glanced back at his fluffy nub of a tail, ears pinning back in embarrassment.

Despite his hesitation and lack of confidence, Shark paw took a deep breath. He backed up a few fox lengths, took a running start, then leapt into the air, twisting as Rainysky had. He wobbled as he landed, but at least he didn’t land on his side.

“I did it!” Sharkpaw squealed excitedly, jumping around in joy, seeming to forget his shyness for a bit.

Chris
    Participant

The silver tabby Warrior smiled broadly as Sharkpaw danced around in success. The moment was like the parting of clouds on a gloomy day, sunshine washing over him as the radiant spirit of the youth broke free of whatever unseen force had been restraining it. He felt a tug at his own heart, as though said spirit was pulling him along…

“I don’t think you’re any of those things, Sharkpaw. It’s a hard move.” He meowed, padding over to him. Dim-witted? A stumpy tail? Rainysky couldn’t really see how saying those things was helpful, and he certainly did not feel that they were true. Of course, he’d never had an Apprentice or been a father so he couldn’t be confident in his assessment. All he had was a gut feeling that it wasn’t right.

“But you did it! You’re a fast learner. And don’t worry about your size, my sist-” His voice changed suddenly and he paused, flicking an ear as though dispelling a fly. “I’ve known small cats, and they never let it stop them.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory Fishing Stones It Comes Back To You