Skip to toolbar

I’m getting older, too.

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Camp ShadowClan Medicine Den I’m getting older, too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Snow crunched faintly beneath Rainysky’s white paws as he tread slowly through the woods. The trees, primarily evergreen in their makeup, looked almost like candy. Each appendage was finely frosted with a layer of glimmering crystals. When the breeze shook their branches, cascades of white were sent a drift in a lazy half-spiral.

The RiverClan Medicine Cat shivered as yet even more flakes made themselves at home among his medium-length silver tabby fur. He was still a bit damp from crossing the stream, though not dangerously so. The water had not crept further than his ankles. His paw pads were long past numb, but he did not estimate they’d suffer any damage beyond some cracks. A common ailment to many with such dry winter air.

It was all worth it though when he eyed the entrance to ShadowClan’s camp. He was thankful he’d found it so easily.  The location of Clan camps were ordinarily best-kept secrets of those who lived there. But with the alliance, some formalities were being overlooked. He greeted the two Warriors who guarded the entrance. Two toms. One black-smoke with a pale unusable eye, the other a black-and-white tom with a halftail. They were both huge and surly, and watched him with a strong sense of scrutiny. Still, Rainysky was known to most ShadowClan cats on sight, so they let him pass without issue.

Once inside he glanced eagerly around, his heart slamming harshly against his chest cavity. Was he here? Out on a patrol, perchance? But his eyes could find no hint of brilliant orange or white. And so his hopes sank densely where he stood, ankle-deep in snow and disappointment. He picked himself up mentally, trying his best to shake some sense into his countenance. What did you expect? He’s ShadowClan now, he’s not your Clanmate. As if he’d want to see you anyways after what happened! A hard lump formed in his throat. It was formed of his lie, wrapped in his regrets.

He had real business to attend here.

Somehow he found himself at the den, though he couldn’t quite recall the walk through camp. He had stared at his paws the entire way.

The place smelled much different than when he had been here last, crying over Saplingskies’s comatose shell. Now the den was absent of his scent entirely. Why did things have to change? Rainysky wondered with a small ache.

“Hey, Hareflight.” He greeted the back of his collegue shyly. “I’m here for some catmint if you’ve any to spare. The kits in the nursery are coughing- I just want to be prepared.”

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

The scent of RiverClan was not one Hareflight missed easily, and so it was no surprise when she turned to find Rainysky in her doorway. She smiled softly his way, although she had to admit to herself that it was hard to see him. The last time he had been standing in this den had been… Well, it didn’t bring back good memories for the molly, but there was work to be done and she couldn’t let simple memories get in the way. The calico molly shook her head softly, tuning back into the conversation. “C-Catmint? Yes, yes… Of course. Y-You’ve got good timing, I was j-just out finding the last of the season the other day.” The snow had blanketed their world so quickly, leaving Hareflight little time to prepare for the upcoming cold. Things had been such a whirlwind lately, and things had been slipping her mind… something that could very well be a fatal mistake for some in her line of work. 

As she thought, Hareflight turned, humming softly as she nudged through her stores to find the catmint. Thankfully, it had been a good season and there was more than enough to spare. Carefully grabbing some with her teeth, she set them down and folded them into one of the large leaves she kept in her den. Soon she would have to find a replacement for those too. Nudging the pack his way, she tilted her head, “O-Other than that, R-RiverClan is well? You are well?

Chris
    Participant

“It’s getting to be that time, the kits start to cough and the snows set in.” Murmured the silver tom. His words were heavy with worry. His first winter as his Clan’s healer…it was a daunting task to say the least. And without his old mentor/best friend Saplingskies to turn to every half-moon…

Well, there was Safforngaze at least.

“RiverClan grieves for Pantherstorm, Wisteriastar in particular.” He went on, anxiety still evident in his tone. “She’s lost so much. It isn’t fair.” A touch of anger stirred deep within him at his last phrase. Rainysky was seldom one to become incensed on his own behalf, but that of his loved ones was a different story. Though his Leader held him at arm’s length, he still found himself grasping for her just as he had reached for his own mother in his youth. I want to reach her. I will reach her.

“M-me? Well…” He chewed on his cheek. He never knew how much honesty at this particular request was prudent. Too little and he seemed frosty, too much and he inducted an unwilling participant into his maelstrom of difficulties. “I’m managing, I suppose. I love healing, really. I feel like I’m doing what I was born to do. Was it that way for you as well, when you were chosen?” Privately he congratulated himself on a skillful deflection of the subject matter. You spend so much time guarding the exit. Do you even know how to open the door anymore?

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

Hareflight nodded sympathetically at his words. The Clans had been damaged immensely after everything that had happened, and it pained her to hear of it. It was inevitable, however, and Hareflight knew it was worse to ignore it. She murmured her condolences, paws shuffling slightly as her mind began to wander. As Rainysky spoke up once more, she focused again on him, nodding along with words. Something about the way he spoke of his job awoke some unresolved worries in her, and Hareflight shifted her weight, considering her words carefully. The silence dragged on for a few moments, and the ShadowClan healer’s whiskers twitched as she realized this. A soft sigh dropped from her lips.

I-I, well” Her head ducked slightly, but she tried to fix her posture. “No. I-It wasn’t really. I, um,” Hesitation broke her voice, and she glanced up at the other healer and back down at her paws. “I always k-kind of thought StarClan made a m-m-mistake. I d-don’t think I’d be a very good warrior, sure, b-but I don’t really feel cut out f-for this. The only reason I’m even h-halfway decent is, well, Saplingskies.” An unsettled feeling began to stir in her that she would never live up to her mentor’s name. She smiled hesitantly up at Rainysky, her head tilting. “But I-I’m really glad you have that connection. I-It seems like you r-really adjusted well to your position. And,” she continued. “if you’re worried about the coming winter, don’t be. Y-You’re very smart, and I know RiverClan w-will be well under your guidance.

Chris
    Participant

Rainysky smiled serenely. Somehow being in the presence of a cat who was every bit as outwardly nervous as himself was proving to be much easier for him to manage.  Cats who felt good about themselves baffled him, he could not understand their worlds. But he sensed a kindred spirit in Hareflight.

“I don’t think they make mistakes.” Purred the pale tom. “Or at least, we have to hope they don’t. For our sake. They do seem divine, omniscient even. But who knows? I can’t imagine getting any wiser myself when it’s my time.” He observed with a soft mrrow, seating his skinny haunches on the barren dsty earth of the den.

“Saplingskies is a good teacher. I’m glad he’s still around for both of us.” Rainysky murmured, licming a white gloved paw and drawing it over his ears a few times. Just staring at her felt odd. He needed to be doing something. “What do you think of the other Medicine Cats? They never talk much during the half-moon meetings. Well, except for that time we all debated about Medicine Cat apprentices getting to have kits…”

Hareflight [Mel]
    Participant

In some ways, despite having heard similar words from many cats over the moons, Hareflight was comforted by Rainysky’s words. She laughed lightly, nodding her head in agreement. “No, you’re r-right. I can’t i-imagine that for me, either.” She watched him, her dual-coloured eyes absentmindedly following his actions. “I-It’s kind of weird in a way. All the other Medicine Cats seem nice, b-but I basically grew up with Peachblossom and Startledcrow and now… w-we’re all full Medicine Cats.” She hummed softly, tilting her head. “It doesn’t f-feel like that much time has passed and i-it definitely doesn’t f-feel like I should be old enough to be a full Medicine Cat.” Hareflight smiled softly, gaze resting on the dirt beneath her paws. One ear twitched in thought. “But you-you’re right: no one really talks m-much. Like, actually talks I mean. We a-all just exchange the same g-greetings and call it a ni-night.” A light laugh escaped her maw as she considered that one medicine meeting. “I think t-that’s the first time S-Saffrongaze has said m-more than a few words to me, honestly.” As she went quiet, a content smile settled onto Hareflight’s lips. She hadn’t realized how lonely being the sole Medicine Cat had been. It was nice to just talk to another cat, especially one she could relate to and who could relate to her in return,

Chris
    Participant

“I guess with one half of the forest at war with the other, everyone’s still pretty tense.” He lamented with a wistful sigh. He felt significantly more at ease with Hareflight. “The war is supposed to be over but it still feels like everyone’s spoiling for a fight.” The tomcat scuffled his white paws. Too many things remained unresolved. Kass denied trespassing, but someone had to be telling the truth there. A single death had halted the fighting, but many still seemed perfectly content to resume. Rainysky himself hadn’t known Pantherstorm very well so he could only imagine how their enemies saw things

“We’re supposed to be above it all. And StarClan….does their silence mean they approved of the fighting? They’ve refused to issue a statement about Kass and everything surrounding her. Does it mean they disapprove or that we need to fend for ourselves?” He sniffed. “What’s the point of having them if they don’t talk…” He trailed off, now venting in earnest. His words dribbled from his mouth haphazardly, without much focus or cadence. He himself felt relief at sharing these woes with another.  Another healer who, like himself, wanted only peace.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Camp ShadowClan Medicine Den I’m getting older, too.