First Impressions (Rook/Fire)

Forums SkyClan SkyClan Camp First Impressions (Rook/Fire)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Phena
    Participant

Rookfall – SkyClan Deputy

The loss of Blazestar still hit him hard. She was a good, young leader who had the world ahead of her. She was leader of SkyClan: a humble, proud Clan respected by the forest. What made her leave her home? She was born and trained here. She was a warrior in every aspect, but did her heart lie elsewhere? Was there something about becoming leader that made cats leave their Clan? Their family? He was not a medicine cat. He was not good at feeling what others were going through. He only had evidence and logic to rely on. Ever since he became deputy, he felt he was walking on eggshells. Firestar had been deputy not too long before. Was he as used to his deputyship duties and Rookfall was to his warriorship?

Rookfall was used to hunting, not organizing the patrols. He was used to receiving orders, not giving them. And all the while, he felt eyes in his back. He was being watched by the Clan. He was young. He had room to grow and learn, but just as much room to cause disaster. Saffrongaze had confidence in him. She had welcomed him as though he were always meant to walk beside them as a brother. Yet Firestar…he couldn’t tell what Firestar was thinking. He shared little emotion and little more of this thoughts. As deputy and leader, they had to work together for the good of SkyClan. He had to make an effort to become Firestar’s friend. 

The day before, he had offered a suggestion to the leader: meet with him for lunch. They could discuss the Clan or what Rookfall should know as deputy. They could discuss how to become a better, more united front for their Clanmates, who were obviously still shocked by Blazestar’s abandonment. Or, they could discuss nothing. They could sit in silence and awkwardness. That was not what Rookfall wanted, but the possibility was there. Nerves pricked Rookfall’s heart as he took his choice of prey – a healthy, but skinny, thrush – and settled himself in a sunny spot beside the warriors’ den. He tucked one paw in and curled his tail close to his flank. He tried to breathe. He shouldn’t be so nervous, yet he couldn’t ignore how incredibly real this moment was. 

This was going to be their first, official meeting together, and first impressions mattered. 

“Destiny isn't a path any cat follows blindly. It is always a matter of choice, and sometimes the heart speaks loudest. Listen to your heart, because that's where your true destiny lies.”
    - Leafpool

Roach
    Participant

Firestar ~Skyclan Leader 

Piercing ember hues glistening in the afternoon light as the feline slowly leaves his solitude of his den. Muscles tensing and flexing with each movement he made, claws digging into the oak bark to keep his balance on the thick branch. It had been a big change in sleeping in the crowded warriors den to the secluded leader’s den, not that it bothered him, just a change. In a way Firestar felt like a weight had been lifted and added at the same time. He was no longer in charge of organizing patrols but he was now in charge of a clan. For some reason Starclan and Blazestar believed it was his time to lead, that there was something about him that Skyclan needed. The fiery and sandstone fluffy Maine Coon was not sure if he was what the clan needed, but he would try his hardest to appear to be what they needed. To be one for Skyclan to look up to, to bring his clan up, to help his clan thrive.

First step in the right direction was to gain his clan respect. What better way than to gain trust from his deputy. Firestar was the type that liked to remain alone, to keep his thoughts and emotions to himself, but with being leader that wasn’t much of an option anymore. He needed to be able to trust and rely on his deputy and medicine cat, to listen to their suggestions and trust their and his own judgement. Blazestar always patiently listened to him and Saffrongaze, he needed to take a page from her book. Yet, patience was not his strong suit, he would try his best. Though he knew his sharp tongue would be a barrier in letting his high ranks in. His train of thoughts dying out as he pauses at the edge of the high branch, he would never get tired of the view before him. He could see beyond the cliff, the grove of thickened oak trees and their woven branches, feel the cold wind brush against his thick pelt, ruffling it in the process. He could see figures moving within the trees or lounging below him.

With one last look, he jumps, twisting his body in midair. Allowing his belly fur to graze the rough bark, his claws hooking into the wooden flesh. Looking over his shoulder to stare up at the clouded sky before releasing his hold slightly to let his large form slide down the trunk. This was such a rush and natural feeling to him and many of his Skyclan clanmates. His hind paws touched the cold earth first, causing a shiver to ripple down his spine before pushing away from the tallest oak tree. Turning away from his tree to glance around briefly at those around him. He knew many were still unsure of him being leader, on the fact that Blazestar went missing, his new deputy. Though he personally wished he could tell them all to fuck off and that they would just have to deal with Starclan’s decision, he smartly refrained.

‘Where did Rookfall want me to meet him again?’ He thought, a sigh of frustration escaping his lips. Padding through the small clearing in search of the tall black and white form of his deputy. “Ahh” he hummed as his reddish-orange gaze landed on him near the warriors den. Picking up his pace, not wanting his deputy to believe he was purposely stalling their little lunch meeting. Though he was hesitant in having to socialize, but he knew that he would have to make an effort. Nodding his large cranium in greeting as he settles down across from the other tom. Firestar wasn’t necessary hungry as he had been up before the sun, eating before many had risen from their sleeping slumber. “How’s organizing patrols going?” His deep smooth voice broke the silence, watching Rookfall patiently for his response. Though he technically knew how Rookfall was doing as he had been observing him from afar.

Phena
    Participant

Rookfall – SkyClan Deputy

Soft feathers poked at his pink nose as he began to groom the breast of his thrush. It was cold to the bone. It would not be the most delightful meal, but it would fill his stomach for the day ahead. He began with the short, weatherproof feathers. They acted as guardians for the silky, white fluff beneath, which bared the fleshy chest for him to sink his teeth within. The stiff, frozen meat made his teeth ache, and when he tore it off, he had to warm each mouthful to thaw beneath his tongue before chewing. If he broke a tooth, Saffrongaze would not be pleased. Complaining about a toothache like a kit to the medicine cat was not a good look for a new deputy.

Approaching pawsteps made his paper-thin ears twitch. He lifted cool blue eyes to meet the twin amber orbs of Firestar. Although he appeared to be a burst of intense heat, Rookfall could sense the cold indifference at his core. He wasn’t a bad cat – simply a loner. Admittedly, Rookfall enjoyed being more of a team player, but he could respect someone who preferred their solitude. The deputy dipped his head in respect to Firestar and swallowed his mouthful of thrush. With the tip of his tail, he gestured for the tom-cat to sit. “In all honesty? I feel like an absolute rat’s rear sometime. You should see the faces of some warriors when I tell them they’re going to be on a morning patrol.” Rookfall’s lips curved into a gentle smile at that. Since he was a deputy now, he did not participate in as many patrols as he had as a warrior. It shifted the dynamic of SkyClan’s patrols. Some of the younger warriors were placed in less favorable patrols while the senior warriors were given the better picks. It was the way of their culture, but for a young warrior confident in their abilities, they could be…easily frustrated. Rookfall hated being the ‘bad guy,’ but he had enough backbone to make sure his word was taken seriously.

“I think it’s definitely so far, so good. I’m hoping it will become easier once everyone has settled into our new way of life. There was definitely a lot of change for us. Especially you.” Rookfall met his gaze with a meaningful, softly concerned expression. “How are you settling in, Firestar? I know we were not close, as warriors…but I hope we will come to trust each other.”

“Destiny isn't a path any cat follows blindly. It is always a matter of choice, and sometimes the heart speaks loudest. Listen to your heart, because that's where your true destiny lies.”
    - Leafpool

Roach
    Participant

Firestar ~Skyclan Leader 

Amusement flickered in his dark ember gaze as he watches Rookfall bite into the cold lifeless thrush. During this time of the year, their food did not taste the best, but during leaf-bare you take whatever you can get. Watching the slight struggle reminds Firestar of his first leaf-bare, trying to eat a nearly frozen squirrel. Shifting his large form, trying to get more comfortable against the frozen earth. Tilting his head downwards as he listens to his deputy voice his concerns on if he was doing his deputy ship up to Firestar’s standards.

“Many will get over themselves, I believe many are only trying to give you a hard time to see if you have what it takes” he honestly answers with a simple shrug to his broad shoulders. Biting his lip as he hesitates for a moment, wondering if he should disclose what he had witnessed at the moonpool. Deciding that it was his decision to make, “When I was receiving my 9 lives…Starclan themselves showed me you” Firestar started, pausing for a moment to sort out his words.

”At first I was not sure why they showed me a vision of you, and didn’t realize until I made my journey home” he sighs as he looks down at the stiff thrush, though he wasn’t really taking anything in. His mind filters back to over a week prior to when he trekked through woods and territories to speak to Starclan. “They chose you as the next deputy; I have chosen you. Don’t take that for granted” he huffed at the black and white tom, he wanted him to know that he sees the potential in him, but also could not bring himself to verbally say those words.

Clicking his rough tongue against the roof of his mouth as Rookfall questions how he was adjusting to the way of being the leader of Skyclan. Absentmindedly toying with the frost covered grass with his black claws. “As good as one would expect” he simply answered. Though deep down he was stressed, he knew that many were skeptical of him being the new leader. But, only because of his actions at the gathering, though there were several that were glad he stood up to the rogue deputy of Thunderclan, just wished he hadn’t disrespected the leaders by standing upon the boulder in the process. Though that obviously would not be a problem at the next gathering. A small smirk appearing on his lips at the thought of what the rest of the leaders and even the rogue of a deputy’s reactions would be when he reveals that he was no longer Firebird; but Firestar.

Phena
    Participant

R o o k f a l l

That was unexpected. Rookfall struggled hard to keep his expression one of indifference, but in the end, the shock flashed across his visage. Green eyes delved into fiery amber as he searched Firestar for truth. He didn’t expect him to lie. The tom did not seem like one to resort to petty fabrications. Yet, it seemed incredibly out there. He was never a devout follower of StarClan. In fact, as an apprentice, there was many a night where he would be angry at them for the death of his parent. His impressionable youth resented the so-called guardians for taking a family member away from him, but now they made him a deputy. Firestar, Saffrongaze, and the entire armada of Silverpelt believed in him. Perhaps it was time he followed suit.

Pride glowed in his heart and a soft smile touched his maw. He didn’t need to thank the leader for his kind words; Firestar had moved on before he could utter them. Rookfall tilted his head and studied the young tom with a scruntinous gaze. He felt they were a similar pair. Firestar loved his Clan, just as Rookfall did, and he could sense a tensity within the leader that he knew personally. Firestar was learning the ropes, just as he. Did he struggle? Did he doubt himself? The handsome tuxedo tom softened.

“I did not go to the last Gathering to allow the younger warriors a chance to see history – a new leader taking up the banner. I heard what transpired.” The rogue had a mouth, or that is what gossip told. Rookfall would have to go to the next Gathering. He would meet ‘Bluefire’ face-to-face. A part of himself hoped they would get along, but he knew deep down they would not. “I believe you’re being tested, too. We will get through this together. I only hope the Clan politics doesn’t get stranger.” Rookfall cracked a grin. “Maybe Blazestar didn’t have such a bad idea.” You just had to laugh about it, now that the shock was over. Ever since Firestar stepped up, no one had spoken a word about Blazestar. He knew her absence plagued them all. If there was one thing Rookfall’s father taught him, it was how to laugh at pain.

- Leafpool

Roach
    Participant

Firestar ~Skyclan Leader 

Turning his cranium slightly to the side to look away from Rookfall’s seemingly all knowing green gaze. Firestar always prided I’m himself for being able to keep his thoughts and emotions hidden unless pressed too far. Kass or well Bluefire knew exactly how to anger him and many others with her outright disrespect to their way of life. It caused him to question starclan’s motives in allowing Hollystar to name her lover as deputy. The ginger tabby Maine Coon often has to remind himself that Thunderclan was not his responsibility. That he needed to focus on the well-being of his clan, to make sure they survive and prosper through the horrid leaf-bare. Deep within him; Firestar could sense that trouble was coming. That soon the seemingly peaceful atmosphere around them would come crumbling down. Firestar just hoped that he would be strong enough to make sure his clan made it through whatever troubles that were to come.

Paper-thin ears twitching, his fiery gaze flickering over to Rookfall as he silently listens. His head nodding in agreement that he was indeed being tested, but the real question remained: had he already failed? Blinking in slight surprise at his deputy’s sudden joke, arching a brow before a very faint deep chuckle escaped him. Rookfall was the only other feline besides Saffrongaze that truly knew what had happened to Blazestar. Firestar had decided to keep the fact that she has returned to the life of a kittypet in order to keep her name free from any tainted words that would have been thrown at her. “Indeed it doesn’t sound like a bad idea….” he trails off with a sigh.

”Yet, we are all here for a reason right?” He tried to be optimistic, yet his tone fell a little too flat. “I couldn’t really see myself as a kittypet. I wouldn’t want to go too soft” he grinned. “But you on the other hand…” he mocking trails off as he grins cheekily at the tuxedo tom. For some reason; Firestar felt comfortable around the tom, and couldn’t help this nagging feeling that this was why Starclan had chooser him as his deputy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums SkyClan SkyClan Camp First Impressions (Rook/Fire)