Desperation & Hunger [Group Event – Open]

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory Desperation & Hunger [Group Event – Open]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Lux
    Participant

Hunting conditions were less than ideal at the mountain’s base. The rocky earth was inhospitable to plant-life, and only the most hearty shrubs and heathers grew. The darkened sky, roiling with ominous clouds, continued a heavy rain. Harsh winds whipped the shrubland, drowning out most scents and sounds. They’d be lucky to catch anything, given the conditions. However, the extreme weather would have driven the forest’s prey towards higher elevations. Perhaps, the clans wouldn’t go hungry.

Smokewisp breathed deeply, scenting the air. ‘It’s hopeless,’ she despaired. In better conditions this might’ve been usable territory. But, the storm was washing away both scent and sound. She looked back, watching the small hunting party draw near. “Honestly, these conditions are horrible,” she growled. “But, we must bring back prey. No matter what. We’ve all seen how hungry and exhausted our clanmates are. It’s our duty, and we’re going to make it happen.” She looked forward, soaked tail lashing with determination. “Spread out, and move slowly. I doubt we’re the only ones to evacuate due to the storm. If we’re lucky, perhaps some of the smaller prey has been driven from their burrows due to the flood.” Her gaze drifted across the cats before her. “If you have any questions, now’s the time. The worse the storm gets, the harder the hunt.

Roach
    Participant

Firebird ~ Skyclan Deputy

‘This has to be one moment I hate being deputy’ the drenched dark fiery ginger tom could not help but bitterly think to himself as he trekked through mud. Muscles straining as he pushed through, determined to continue on his mission to help provide for his clan…no for both of their clans. Even though Firebird did not care much for Shadowclan, he understood that one clan cannot live without another. That in a way all the clans are interconnected by invisible strings so complex that one could not fathom just how connect all 5 clans are. Sometimes in a way it seemed as if Starclan was the puppeteer pulling on all the strings of the clans…the puppets. Even though he detested what this hurricane was doing, by ruining their homes, deep down he felt that Starclan had a play in how everything was going and they were just blindly following and playing out the acts given to them. Squinting his blazing ember eyes, his vision becoming disoriented due to the continuous drops of rain streaming down his face, he could feel faint tickles as the rain slowly dribbles down his slightly pointed chin.

The thickness of the rain made it hard to see, in fact he could barely see 5 feet in front of him and cursed under his breath on how on earth they would be able to catch prey in such conditions. It was has if all his senses where diminished to the point he felt numb to everything around him. He could barely see, all he could hear was thunder and the raging winds pushing against him each way, his sense of smell was overpowered by the smell of rain and mud to be able to distinguish any prey that could be near by. Firebird was still in touch with his sense of touch, however it was mainly pins and needles that shot up his legs with each stride. This patrol seemed hopeless, but he dared not voice such negativity as now they needed to remain with as much hope as they could. Snapping back into reality as he could faintly hear Smokewisp address them with authority. Scowling at the back of the Shadowclan Deputy’s head with disdain at being ordered what to do, something he had grown unaccustomed to since being appointed deputy as the only one he actually listened to what his leader.

“Well spotted” he sarcastically spoke as he referred to her little comment on the conditions being horrible. You would have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to figure that out. Scoffing to himself before turning towards Applepaw, Foxpaw, and his apprentice; Juniperpaw. His orange eyes lighting up as a thought occurred to him. “Do any of you know how to climb?” He inquired as he lets his gaze wander to the trees. “Some animals could have taken to the trees for shelter, maybe even within the trees, but I don’t want you recklessly trying to climb if you are not competent enough in the first place. This storm will make it ten times more dangerous” he warned, his face void of emotions though his eyes held concern as he stared at the apprentices before him. Pursing his lips in dissatisfaction as he soon realized that he couldn’t expect such things from such inexperienced felines, though it had nothing to do with them personally just that they were too young in his eyes to be able to handle such tasks.

“Hmm no that won’t do…” he added with a frustrated sigh as he wished that he had some seasoned warriors with him, but there was no time to dwell on that now. “I will handle the climbing, I want you three to stick together and search for prey, once you are finished meet here by this tree. Do you understand?” He firmly spoke, eyeing each apprentice sternly to emphasis just how serious he was. Glancing over at Hollowflame and Smokewisp, “I will search in the trees, if any of you can climb trees, great. Otherwise best to stay out of the way and do your own thing.” He blandly voiced out. Turning away from his hunting party, blinking several times to clear his vision as he searched for the best tree to search for prey. Pausing a few fox-lengths away, looking over his shoulder at the Shadowclan cats. “Oh…” He offhandedly hummed as if he forgot something. “If that’s alright with you all” He sassily added before stalking off, hating the fact he had to obey orders from them due to being in their territory.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Roach.
    Feared
    Participant

HollowFlame ~ ShadowClan Warrior 

Shifting his emerald green eyes, he peered down at the small apprentice known as Juniperpaw as he greeted the warrior, causing a small smile to reach his dark black lips before he gave a gentle nod in the young toms direction. “Hello, Juniperpaw. I am HollowFlame.” HollowFlame introduced himself to the young Tom, even though they were from different clans, HollowFlame wasn’t as aggressive as some of his clan mates. With that thought in mind, he glanced towards Smokewisp as she called over her shoulder blade, instructing that the felines split up in order to find prey. However, his ears swerved in the direction of Firebirds deep and hearty tone as his dark amber eyes were roaming over the young faces of the SkyClan apprentices. 

They are obviously too young to be trusted with climbing the trees and not falling. HollowFlame thought to himself, green eyes roaming from Applepaw, Foxpaw, to Juniperpaw with a soft huff escaping his soft pink nostrils. Water streaming from his chin fur as the rain refused to change to a drizzle and give them a break. Large paws sinking into the mud and leaves as he took a step forward, looking towards Firebird as he eyes the large tomcat with slight annoyance with his behavior. At least the young apprentices were willing to give hunting a go. “I’ll help you out with hunting in the tree, Firebird.” He meowed dryly, giving the Tom a side glance before his green eyes flickered toward Smokewisp. “I would say good luck with the apprentices, but I believe I will need the luck.” He smirked, before turning away from his deputy and glanced towards the apprentices. “Good hunting, young ones. Don’t hurt yourselves.” He warned in a gentle voice, before he quickened his pace to follow Firebird

Lux
    Participant

Starclan, are you serious?’ Smokewisp thought, staring at Firebird with a dry expression. Of course, she bit her tongue. They had to work together, for now. ‘Fine, make a fool of yourself,’ she thought, hot flames erupting within her chest. She doubted the tom would be able to find much quarry within the trees, given the rending winds which battered the mostly barren scrubland. Her gaze drifted back towards the clans. She sincerely hoped that not all Skyclan cats were so stubborn.

She sighed, feeling some relief as Hollowflame chose to join Firebird. She smirked at her clanmates’ indirect insult. In fact, under better circumstances she might’ve laughed. “Step lightly, Hollowflame. Good luck with the hunt and … Well, you know.” She gave the warrior an amber-eyed wink before turning her attention to the apprentices.

Well then,” she mewed, her gaze drifting across the cold and hungry apprentices. ‘They need rest,’ she thought with dismay. She silently wished Skunkpaw was there. He was used to her gruff and blunt orders. ‘How can I help them,’ her tail twitched with anxiety as she weighed her words. Warriors were obligated to be thick-skinned, able to work under any matter of stress. But, these apprentices were anxious and standing before another clan’s deputy. ‘Why’d he stick me with these apprentices? Surely Skyclan had more capable warriors available.’ She frowned, her annoyance with Firebird rising.

Smokewisp cleared her throat, addressing them once again. “As you may know, I’m Smokewisp. Conditions are going to make hunting difficult. Focus on staying quiet, rather than staying downwind.” Her ears flicked, having been buffeted by another strong gust. “The wind is changing directions constantly, so don’t even bother. Fan out, but stay near each other. Prey is likely panicked due to the storm, so keep your ears sharp and your paws light. Anything worthy of being prey is going to be quick to flee.” She turned, heading towards the prickly and dense undergrowth nearby. “This way,” she mewed.

Anonymous

Juniperpaw

Juni’s tail twitched with happiness, his face lighting up at being acknowledged by the Shadowclanner. He’d expected the tom to be as sharp-tongued and prickly as his clanmates and was pleasantly surprised to find the tom, Hollowflame, rather friendly. Turning to Firebird, Juniperpaw resisted the temptation to snap at his mentor. Juniperpaw was a good-natured tom who enjoyed laughter and peace, he wasn’t one to start a fight, rather, he liked ending them. But at that moment, the tom was irritated, the muscles in his hip were aching, and he was tired and hungry.

“I’m twelve moons,” he meowed aloud, “I’m perfectly capable of scaling a tree.” Juniperpaw winced, realizing that he really wasn’t, not since he’d fallen a couple of moons ago trying to climb and ended up damaging his hip bad enough he’d had to rest for about a moon heal up.

Turning to look at the Shadowclan deputy, the sleek furred apprentice studied the molly. Hm… She seems to know what she’s doing. Tail still flicking side to side in annoyance from Firebird’s comment, the apprentice followed the Shadowclanner and blinked away the rest of his weariness and stamping down the indignation he still felt.

Roach
    Participant

Firebird ~Skyclan Deputy 

Arching a kitty brow as he caught bits and pieces of Hollowflames and Smokewisp’s conversation as he was padding no strutting away with purpose. The tall muscular and broad shouldered Fiery ginger Maine Coon smirked with slight amusement at their jabs though it really did not affect him. ‘I did not say he had to come’ he thought with a roll to his dark orangish red eyes. Biting his lower lip ever so slightly as he could not help but worry about the apprentices, he believed he made the right call on deciding that they were not fit enough to climb. Sure what he had said to them were brash and borderline insulting to their capabilities, Firebird just wanted to get through to them on just how dangerous and dire the situation was. They needed food, lots of it to feed not just one clan but two. Starclan was against them right now as the rain could not even let up to give the deputy a moment of clarity to see just how he planned on finding some prey. Nature was fighting back, and the tom was not taking it well. His once graceful light steps became heavier as he fought against the thickness of the mud, grass, and leaves that littered the earth. Deep paw print were left in his wake as he carefully eyes the trees before him in thought. “Hmm…” he hummed, narrowing his eyes at the many mangled trees and branches before them both.

“I believe if we are going to find any prey in the trees, it will be closer to the edge of the mountain. Those trees are more secure due to the buffer they are receiving from the inner trees surrounding them. Blocking most impact of the wind” he reasoned as he addressed Hollowflame. Though his tone held no distaste toward the warrior, it still held a slight reluctance to even communicate towards the dark reddish brown bengal. “Though that does not mean it’s going to be safe, just that with this storm not all animals will seek the mountain but to the trees as if it’s safer” Firebird sighed before turning east toward the outer edges of the trees cluttered near the base of the lonely mountain. ‘This has to work’ he thought toward himself, a faint frown tugging his lips downward as this was definitely a trail of skill and determination for these felines. Grunting as he stumbled backwards a inch or two, the wind slamming against him as if like a barrier of wind in-circled him, not wanting Firebird to continue any further. Cursing out loud as he digs his claws into the semi-solid ground, clutching onto any form of stability he could find.

Briefly he looks over his shoulder to check on Hollowflame to notice that the wind was barring down on the Shadowclanner as well. Grinding his teeth in pure frustration as if they could only reach the trees would they be protected from the harshness and cruelness of the bitter cold wind and the sting of ice water pelting their fur and skin. “Keep your head down!” He commanded, already snapping his head downwards to protect his face as he slowly with resistance continued forward. His whole form was quivering from both the coldness as his body still fought to regulate his temperature to the strain of fighting an invisible foe that seemed to hold more power that them both.

What seemed like hours only being roughly 10 minutes once they reached the safety of the tall pine trees. His chest rising and falling rapidly as he tried to catch his breath. Closing his eyes as he focused on decreasing his hyper breathing and the fastness of his heart against his rib cage. Ears pinning slightly against his skull, nostrils flaring as he calmed himself, letting the oxygen fill his lungs with each breath, getting slower and slower until back to his normal breathing pattern. The wind had knocked the breath out of him but all was well…for now. Quickly looking towards the direction of Hollowflame, relaxing ever so slightly to see the Shadowclan tom still with him. “That was fucking fantastic” his deep voice coated in sarcasm. “Lets find some stable trees to see if my theory is even correct” Firebird suggested with a careless shrug to his shoulders. Though deep down he was anxious to see if he had been correct about finding prey in the trees or was all of this for not.

Peach
    Participant

Skunkpaw~ Shadowclans Odor

Leaving Smokewisp to go hunting with the Skyclan felines with had had slowly caused anxiety to build up in the tom cat. His paws becoming restless the longer he sat waiting, his large full tail aggressively swinging behind him fighting his inner self about whether to track her down to help her. What if she needs me! Skunkpaw was not one to worry over such trivial things but he had also never been separated from Smokewisp during such desperate times. Making up his mind Skunkpaw left his small cluster of cats, deciding it’d be best to ask for forgiveness rather than permission to go after the patrol alone.

The constant rain fall had washed away any trace of pawsteps from the felines, their scents incredibly faded, Lucky I left when I did, any later I wouldn’t have any scents left to find them. His paws moved swiftly, perhaps faster than the hefty tom had ever traveled before, determination glowing in his golden eyes, he was going to find Smokewisp and he was going to bring back food for his clan. He was going to be useful in their time of need.

Smokewisp? They must have been moving slower because of Skyclan. He was certainly surprised with how quickly he caught up with the hunting patrol, chalking it up to having to slow their pace for the felines unfamiliar with their territory. The large black and white tom approached the patrol as Firebird and Hollowflame were taking their leave whispering a soft Good Luck as he passed the Shadowclan Warrior, his dearest mentor left alone with unfamiliar apprentices. Upon reaching Smokewisp Skunkpaw circled around her, tail subtly touching her shoulder in the process taking his position next to her, “Harepaw seemed like she needed so food. I’m also feeling better now” He whispered to the grey pelted molly, ignoring the sharp pain that was growing deep in his chest.  Skunkpaw easily towered over the Skyclan apprentices, heck he competed in height with shadowclans taller warriors. A smirk finding its way to his white muzzle as she announced herself as shadowclans deputy, “I’m Skunkpaw, Smokewisp apprentice, lets have a good hunting time. We have a lot of hungry belly’s to fill, especially the ill.” Offering the other clan a firm but friendly smile.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Peach.
    Feared
    Participant

He looked towards Smokewisp as she spoke, he had known the she-cat for a long time. She was just a bit younger than he was, but they had grown up with one another so he knew of her. Smirking slightly when she gave him a wink, reminding him that he had to deal with sharp tongue and ill mannered SkyClan deputy. StarClan I do not have the patience for this. He thought silently to himself, chin tilting as he caught sight of Skunkpaw as the tall white and black apprentice made his way from the shadows to join Smokewisp. Eyebrow rising as he quickly glanced towards Smokewisp and jutted his muzzle in the direction of Skunkpaw. What was he doing there? Wasn’t he put in the group of sickly cats? HollowFlame questioned himself, emerald green eyes looking down at Skunkpaw as they passed one another, his ears catching the whispered good luck. “Don’t strain yourself too much, Skunkpaw.” He muttered back in a response, his long tail flicking lightly against the younger toms shoulder blade. HollowFlame liked to think of himself as a likable cat within ShadowClan, he was usually kind and thoughtful but stern when needed. 

Eyes adjusting through the rain and the harsh as his keen eyesight caught the sight of the blazing ginger form that belonged to Firebird, grunting slightly as he sped up in order to keep up with the brute. Large paws sinking into the soft mud with each paw step was beginning to become a nuisance. The mud was beginning to cling to his dark red and black spotted pelt, ears laying flat against his cranium. Upon hearing Firebirds deep voice filter through the wind, he gritted his teeth and forced himself to speed up the pace in which he was walking, paws sinking into the mud deeply with each step. Ears lifting from laying flat as he listened carefully to what the deputy had to say, although this was ShadowClan land he still respected that Firebird had some form of authority. “You’re right about that, it won’t be safe. I’m aware your land doesn’t have many pine trees so a word of advice… stay to the lower limbs of the trees. You are a massive cat, the limbs on these trees are not as strong as you are used to.” He meowed loudly, in order to be heard over the roar of the storm. Nodding his head once when Firebird turned in order to walk in the direction of the outer rim of the forest, however both Firebird and HollowFlame were caught by surprise when the lack of trees caused the full force of the racing wind slammed into both of the cats, causing them to instantly take a few steps back. 

Grunting in frustration, HollowFlame felt his long black claws slip from their sheathes and dig into the sodden ground beneath, clinging to any stability that he could find in order to keep his ground. Eyes squinting because of the rain, he could just see Firebird a few steps in front of him struggling against the full force of the wind racing up the mountain. The Tom could barely hear Firebird as he ordered him to keep his head down, but honestly he didn’t have to ask twice. Lowering his head, he tried to keep his eyes as open as possible as he followed the layout of the grass, claws digging into the ground all the way as he found his footing. Walking against the wind was difficult, but not impossible. Firebird May have been a massive and strong feline, but HollowFlame was just as strong. 

Ten minutes. Ten long minutes it took to struggle powering through the wind. His nostrils flared as he breathed rapidly, his muscles straining against the gust of the hurricane. His chest rising and falling rapidly from his exertion, pupils narrowing before the wind was suddenly being black by the tall and firm pine trees that swayed heavily in the gust of the wind. Ears flat against his head and tail held high, he lifted his chin while opening his mouth to take in bursts of air, quenching his need to breathe at a normal rate. It would take a few minutes before his heart rate settled, but his green eyes roamed the land until he found Firebird a few feet away trying to regain his breath as well. 

Walking towards the tomcat, HollowFlame gave a snort as Firebird seemed unamused with the trek they had just endured. Pupils narrowing for a moment before he looked over his shoulder and then back towards the deputy. “We won’t be able to carry prey in that. All the prey would be ripped from our jaws. We will have to find another way back to the trail.” He informed the SkyClan deputy, falling into step beside the massive tomcat. Firebird was a not much taller than HollowFlame but he certainly was broader, or perhaps it was all that fur. HollowFlame was unsure, but regardless it was clear these two were fit enough to climb trees in this weather. Eyes roaming along the trees before he spoke, “Remember keep to the low branches, leave the high branches to me.” He informed, his tone of voice no longer suggesting, but more authoritative. HollowFlame knee these trees and this forest, Firebird did not. With that thought, his claws slipped from their sheathes as he began to scale up the large trunk of a pine tree with ease. 

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Feared.
    Anonymous

Image result for juniper berry clipart Juniperpaw   

The inky black tom’s ears twitched, perking as his attention turned to the black and white tom. A small, honest smile finding its way on his face as Juniperpaw dipped his head towards Skunkpaw.

“Hi, I’m Juniperpaw!” Blue eyes flicking around, Juni waved his paw in the direction of where Hollowflame and Firebird left. “Firebird’s my mentor.” Tilting his head to his companions, the older apprentice continued, “This is Applepaw and Foxpaw.”

Frowning at the rain, Juniper glanced to Smokewisp, “Wait, so where are we going to go hunt? The mountains are pretty unfamiliar, some cat could fall or hit their head…” and we can’t really afford injuries on top of everything else…

“Not to mention the rain is making tracking prey pretty hard.” Glancing around, Juniperpaw shuddered, “What if Starclan’s punishing us?” He meowed aloud, then cringed at his own words.

Roach
    Participant

Firebird ~ SkyClan Deputy

His ears twitching in Hollowflame’s direction as he listens attentively to his advice in regards to climbing pine trees. Humming in agreement as he was not idiotic enough to not heed to the experienced Shadowclan warrior’s words of caution. “Duly noted” he sighs as he nods his large cranium in acknowledgment. Though he was a little irked at being called ‘massive’ but brushed it off for the time being as due to Hollow’s tone, he knew that he was more than likely referring to his height and muscular build than insulting. Groaning softly to himself at the dull but consistent throbbing against his skull intensified, his paws itched to rub his temples in effort to sooth the ache, but refrained from doing so. He did not want to smear mud all over his pelt, best for the thickened mud to remain in one area…his paws. The blazing ginger tom speculated that the sudden onset of his headache had to be due to dehydration as he could not properly remember the last time he had a refreshing drink of clean water. Just the thought caused his throat to parch, a subtle but noticeable dryness and itch within his throat that would not leave no matter how many times he cleared his throat. Shaking his body and paws, trying to get his blood to circulate through his system, to warm his cold limbs. Due to shaking his long furred pelt, caused patches to stick up comically due to the rain soaking his now dark fur but the deputy paid no mind as he had more pressuring matters to attend to.

Yes, there is no way we can backtrack the way we came once we catch prey. We will have to find another route, but let’s figure that out when we get to it” he reasoned as he really just didn’t want to have to think too much on the subject as of right now. “Well then lead the way” he sighed as he gestures for Hollowflame to take the lead as he was the one that was familiar with pine trees, back in SkyClan territory their trees were birch, though the trees were thin, they were sturdy enough to hold the bulk of his weight. A breath of relief escaped his dry and cracking lips as they slip into the small forest near the edge, ‘Finally some protection from the rain and the wind’ he thought as he enjoyed a few moments of bliss before turning back to the mission at hand.  Due to the branches and leaves sheltering them both, Firebird was able to fully open his eyes and take in his surroundings around him. Licking his lips as he pads along after the reddish bengal warrior. Light crunches of leaves could be heard as he carefully presses his large paws as lightly as possible, not wanting to disturb the eerie silence that filled the thick air. There was so much tension in the air, he could feel his fur prickling with unease. Ember hues flickering around with caution as he stayed alert while looking for a pine tree that looked sturdy enough to hold him.

Perking up at the faint creaking of branches, though he could have sworn he also heard scurrying of claws against bark towards his left. Abruptly stopping, flicking his tail at Hollow to silently catch his attention. Gesturing towards a coupling of trees, flickering his ears to give a hint to listen. Closing his eyes as he tried to dull his other senses but heighten one; hearing. His paper thin ears with tufts of ginger fur twitched with sensitivity. Furrowing his brows as Firebird concentrated, mentally sorting through all the creaky and rustling of branches and leaves, trying to pinpoint the exact whereabouts of his sudden target. Tilting his head, face scrunching up before a grin appearing on his muzzle as he once again heard the scraping of a critter moving on the pine tree in the center of the little group he was investigating. “Got ya” he whispered before looking over his shoulder at his hunting comrade, whom was already scaling up another pine tree with ease. “Ready to do some hunting” he muttered with a determined look in his blazing ember eyes. Biting his lower lip as he glanced down at the littered floor with mud, leaves, and twigs, an obstacle course that he needed to overcome if he wanted to catch what he believed to be a squirrel.

Lux
    Participant

The rickety bushes rattled violently as the winds tore across the shrublands. Smokewisp grimaced, the clattering branches drowning out her sense of sound. ‘This is nearly impossible,’ she thought, feeling the icy grip of despair. A gentle touch upon her shoulder startled her. “Skunkpaw!” she yelped, her smokey fur fluffed with alarm. Her amber eyes narrowed as she listened to his explanation. “Well, I suppose I can’t send you back now. Just take it easy, it’s not safe out here.” She lightly headbutted his shoulder, unable to bring herself to fully rebuke him. After all, she could use an extra set of paws.

She dropped into a crouch and instructed the apprentices to do the same. “Stay low, the bushes offer some protection from the wind,” she mewed. Her gaze rested upon Juniperpaw, considering his remark. “Whether Starclan is punishing us or not, it’s our responsibility to feed our clan. For now, that’s all we can do. We’ll leave the negotiations with Starclan to the medicine cats,” she gave a half-hearted chuckle.

We’re hunting here, in these bushes. The mountain base is mostly open moors, with scarce trees and bushes. Fortunately, these shrubs cover a large enough area that-” She broke off, the sudden scent of rabbit wafting over her. She instantly began salivating, and her belly groaned in protest. ‘There, my hopes were true,’ she thought, A brief flicker of movement caught her eye and she darted after her prey. The bushes tore at her fur, and she picked up some scratches along the way. Her muscles screamed in protest as she tackled her prey, finishing it off with a quick bite. “T-there,” she panted. Blood dripped from a scratch along her shoulder. “This is our only chance to feed our clans. Search the bushes, you won’t be able to smell anything but prey is here. You’re smaller, so you might have more luck than myself.” She quickly buried the prey as well as she could. “Let’s keep at it then.

Peach
    Participant

A subtle purr rumbled in the toms throat, his mentor was not one to often show any more affection than a simple tail flick to the feline so her cranium making contact with his shoulder blade relieved the tom of his biggest worry of his beloved mentor being upset with him. “Don’t worry I’ll be careful.” He leaned towards the smokey grey molly trying to block the wind so she could here his words. 

Applepaw, Foxpaw, Juniperpaw making a mental note of the three apprentices names and faces. His face becoming expressionless at Juniperpaws concern in hunting in unfamiliar territory, “We all know of how dangerous these hunting conditions are even for those of us who do know this territory. If any of you aren’t confident hunting better speak up now rather than later. Purely for safety reasons of course.”  Skunkpaw was young but had learned leadership skills by watching Smokewisp interact with their clanmates, he definitely wasn’t afraid to speak up during times like this. 

“I’ll go try over in that direct-“ His words cut short by the burst of energy passing by him. Go get em Smokewisp! His tail motions giving away the toms excitement, his hefty frame following the lass as she finished off the prey. “Nice catch Smokewisp” the large black and white tom brushing against his mentors side, red staining his white fur, golden eyes widened as he realize who the blood came from. “Smokewisp your shoulder…” he knew she wasn’t a kit who would let a little scratch stop her but he couldn’t help but worry just a but. The apprentices tongue gently rasped over the fresh wound, “It’s definitely a good thing I showed up.” He muttered to the grey molly. Guess it’s my turn now, turning back to his original destination Skunkpaw took off to the bushes, his large frame fighting the greenery every step of the way, he truely want meant for this but his clan needed it. Moment caught the lads attention, zoning in on the area of the nose taking a risk the tom pounced, hitting his target with a quick movement. I hope Hollowflame and Firebird are having some luck as well, prey joining Smokewisps in the ground. 

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Peach.
    Feared
    Participant

Grunting softly, lips parted so he could breathe a bit easier through all the rain and the fact that he was trying to taste the wind that kept harassing the trees, causing them to sway. Even though he knew he wouldn’t taste anything other than leaves and rain, it was worth a shot. HollowFlame had seen the way Firebird had been eyeing the trees above, as if something had interested him, and he could see why. There was a large grey squirrel rushing through the branches just a few feet above Firebird as he climbed. Shifting in his own tree, claws digging into the branch beneath him as he walked slowly and quietly. Squirrels were tricksters and very agile once in a tree, the painful pang in his stomach reminded him of why they were hunting so far up above the ground. Lashing his long tail three times he signaled to Firebird to look up, while HollowFlame attempted to lead the squirrel to Firebird

Slowly the Tom walked along his branch, lifting a paw at a time as he made sure to keep his weight balanced by walking on his toes. Pupils narrowing as he watched the squirrel as it cowered in a branch, attempting to take cover in the pine needles while cleaning at its small and pointed face. Best case scenario… Firebird catches the damn thing. He thought silently to himself, so hungry that his ability to concentrate was fractioned. Claws digging deeply into the branch as the tree swayed, having to breathe in and hold his breath as he swayed with the tree to keep his balance on the branch. Fur standing on end as he found this experience to be quite uncomfortable, he did not enjoy entertaining the thought of falling from the height he was currently in. Slowly he regained his breath, green eyes never once moving away from the sight of the squirrel in the tree over to him. 

Lowering himself slowly into a crouch, he continued to move towards the end of the branch, the branch beginning to sag just a bit under his weight. Because of this, he paused and looked to the branch that was just about a foot beneath him and belonged to the next tree. It was dangerous to jump tree to tree in this weather but they certainly were desperate to find anything to eat. Finally he tightened the muscles along his hind legs, before he propelled himself forwards, leaping out of his tree. Landing on the branch, he gave out a snarl to scare the squirrel. HollowFlame knew the squirrel would not run up the tree for fear of getting caught by him, but did the squirrel really know about the large ginger cat waiting below? Watching the squirrel jump and rush down from its perch, he leaned over his branch just a bit to look down and see if his hunting comrade had caught the squirrel. 

Roach
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”><span style=”color: #339966;”>Firebird ~ Skyclan Deputy</span> </p>
    His ember eyes became transfixed on the softened earth with leaves that were browning due to the weather and no longer clinging to their life line of the pine trees. Snapping out of his thoughts as he knew he needed to concentrate on his new target; a squirrel. Quietly he makes his way closer to a tall rustic pine tree edged between two medium size ones, the feline deduced that the grey squirrel was drawn to moving to a higher ground to try escaping the rain by the only means it knew how; seeking shelter in the tallest tree. His large paws were softened by the mud, clenching his jaw as he skillfully avoided leaves that appeared too worn down and dry that could give away his whereabouts. Firebird barely caught a glimpse of <u>Hollowflame</u> balancing on branches near the tree that would give him easy access to lure the squirrel out. Smirking as he was slightly impressed at the Shadowclanner’s ability to balance along the thin yet sturdy branch, to be honest the Skyclan Deputy was surprised that the brut could even climb a tree never mind remain standing up there. Huffing softly with amusement at his inner thoughts, flicking his tail up and to the side as he indicates to his fellow hunter that he was indeed paying attention and was ready to finally accomplish something since this hurricane hit all of their clans.

Muscles tensing with anticipation as he attentively watches <u>Hollow</u> put his hunter skills to the test as he leaps off the branch and onto another that the squirrel resided on. Ears perking as the sound of a yelp and quick scrabbling against the toughness of the dark rustic brown bark. Pupils slitting as all of his attention was on his prey. Just seeing the terrified creature fully come into his view caused his stomach to ache with wanting. It took so much within him to contain his predator instinct to just pounce rapidly and sink his wanting fangs into the juicy-looking flesh. <i><span style=”color: #339966;”>‘Patience’</span> </i>he reprimanded himself, his claws digging into the earth in order to control himself as hunger wanted to fog his already muddled mind. Lowering his large form into a perfect crouch as he stayed off to the side of the tree, using the trunk as some form of coverage until he had perfect opportunity to strike. Fire’s eyes glistening with the sudden ample opportunity revealed itself as the critter finally dropped to the ground. Grinning wickedly as he was not about to fail in catching maybe the only prey they would come across.

Putting all his weight into his hind legs as he pushes off with his claws. Feeling his body being airborne as he leaps at his target. His features stone cold, eyes narrowed, brows furrowed in concentration. Letting his sharp danger like claws hook into the soft furred skin of the grey squirrel. A barely audible grunt escapes his chapped lips before regaining composure upon impact of ramming into the small creature and sinking his awaiting white fangs into the helpless prey’s throat. His ears pinning against his skull, paws wrapped around its struggling form as he crushed the windpipe with a fatal snap. His pupils dilating at the taste of its blood leaking into his throat, a hum of approval rumbled in his chest at the delicious flavor. Grasping onto the remaining strength he had, he released the limp form. Running his salmon pink tongue along his blood stained teeth, ignoring the faint sensation of squirrel blood dripping down his chin. <span style=”color: #339966;”><i>“I thank you. Your spirit will run with Starclan, while your body will remain and become part of the clan to help them prosper.”</i></span> He muttered to himself before hiding his catch from the elements and unwanted eyes. Moving away stiffly before glancing up at <u>Hollowflame</u>. <span style=”color: #339966;”><b>“One down, many more to go”</b></span> Firebird called up before adding with an exhausted sigh, <span style=”color: #339966;”><b>“Let’s continue! I’ll join you in the trees to scout for any other defenseless animals hiding about.”</b></span>

Adding a few more leaves and twigs to cover his catch before moving away and making his way toward a tall tree with thickened branches that would for sure hold the Maine Coon. Latching onto the cold and rough bark, carefully scaling his way up to the lower branches, cursing as his claws slipped slightly due to the continuous rain coating the tree, making it slippery. Feeling his eye twitch in frustration before heaving himself up with little to no difficulty. Puffing his cheeks out as he looks above him, flinching as some rain drops slipped through the green canopy and landed on his face. <span style=”color: #339966;”><b>“This is going to be a long hunt…”</b></span>he couldn’t help but state with pure annoyance.

Lux
    Participant

Smokewisp’s whiskers twitched in amusement as Skunkpaw fussed over her shoulder. “It’ll be fine, it was worth the trouble-” Before she could continue her sprightly apprentice was already gone. She snorted, appreciating his enthusiasm. He had a habit of working himself to complete exhaustion. His optimism and energy surely knew no bounds. Despite that she worried for him. Despite all his training, he’d never truly learned his limits.

She turned to the Skyclan apprentices, silently musing on how to divide them. Of course staying in a group was the safest option. But a large group of apprentices trouncing around in the shrub land would surely scare their prey.  ‘Juniperpaw is older. Plus he’s Firebird’s apprentice, so I’m certain he’s capable,’ she thought. ‘I’ll  send him-’ The nearby bushes shuddered violently. Moments later Skunkpaw emerged bearing more fresh-kill. “Well done,” she mewed, feeling proud. ‘He’s become a very good hunter, as good as any warrior,‘ she silently noted. “Juniperpaw and Skunkpaw, team up and head that way.” She pointed with her tail, indicating the direction. “Be careful of the wind and mud, it’s dangerous.

The smokey she-cat then turned to Foxpaw and Applepaw, flicking her ears in acknowledgement. “Stay with me you two. Keep your ears sharp, I’ll sure we’ll find plenty more prey.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums ShadowClan ShadowClan Territory Desperation & Hunger [Group Event – Open]