Congrats on the Promotion {Forest + Rainy, Closed]

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp RiverClan Medicine Den Congrats on the Promotion {Forest + Rainy, Closed]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hornetstar
    Participant

FORESTMASK.

Naturally, like the whole Clan had, Forestmask had heard of their new medicine cat. He knew of Rainysky through passing, but couldn’t recall having ever actually talked to the now ex-warrior or even shared tongues with him. Now that he… Hm, no. He still couldn’t think of that without feeling sick, or at least overwhelmingly sad. Where had everything gone so wrong? Anyways, now that he had time to actually breathe, he was realizing he was woefully out of touch with the rest of his Clanmates. When, where, and how this had happened was still unknown to him, he just knew it had happened.

As a peace treaty for something he knew he really had no reason feeling guilty over, or even needing to apologize for, he had caught a plump fish before slipping back into camp and heading straight for the medicine cat’s den. Nothing said congratulations and you’ll do a good job like a housewarming fresh fish, after all. Smiling as best he could around his haul, he slipped into the den a fair ways before settling down and placing the fish before his brown paws. This, though a rather communal area due to it being a healer’s den, was now Rainysky’s area, and without having proper cause to come barging in, Forestmask felt it proper to wait for permission, or at least ask for it.

“Greetin’s,” he called out brightly, peering around with inquisitive green eyes. “There another livin’ soul in this here den, perhaps by tha name Rainysky? I heard tha good news.” Meeting new cats was always fun, and getting to know Clanmates he didn’t properly know already, even more enjoyable. He was practically vibrating with excitement now, eagerly awaiting a grey tabby pelt to appear.

Chris
    Participant

The nervously-mannered young tom cat was not at present, engaged in any particular task when Forestmask thronged the threshold of his den. He put on a generic smile at the older Warrior. He did not hold him any ill will, of course, though nor was he very close to him either. However, much the same could be said about many of his Clanmates in spite of the fact he was a full-blooded RiverClan cat, born and raised.

“Forestmask! Hey.” He mewed, whiskers twitching like a kitten. “W-wow, for me? Thanks!!”

Accepting the meal, there was an awkward moment where their cheeks brushed when he took it in his own jaws. He felt goosebumps prickle down his spine, and tripped stepping back over his own long plume of a tail. Oh, mouse-dung.

“Y-you’re not sick are you? You look well, except for your shoulder…” He studied the wound, it appeared well-looked after, presumably by Saplingskies. Would he ever be so adept, Rainysky wondered?

Something else nagged at him as well. Be it the injury on the other tom’s shoulder, or something hidden in his drawn-out mannerisms. Something was bothering the sanguine Forestmask. What it was though, he had no earthly clue. Maybe it was nothing at all even. Rainysky had to acknowledge that it was possible he was merely reading his own uneasy conscience in others right now.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Chris.
    Hornetstar
    Participant

FORESTMASK.

“No problem, Rainysky,” he purred, beaming at the other tom. Tactfully, he ignored how the medicine cat tripped over his own tail like a newborn kit learning how to just walk, recalling he had heard the grey tom could be rather clumsy at times. No matter, so long as he performed his duty when need be, without any incidents, the clumsiness was almost endearing. “Thought ya could do with’a den warmin’ gift. Maybe next time I’ll bring ya some flowers.” Now he paused, looking momentarily perplexed. “Though I guess ya have enough flowers yer herbs, huh? Well, I’ll figure out sumthin’,” he chuckled, shrugging his shoulder that wasn’t injured.

At the mention of his shoulder, he tried not to let the discomfort show on his face. Oh how he wished he had thicker, longer fur like his mother, so he didn’t have to be faced with the difficult reminder each day, to have it stared at. All it did was serve to remind him of his failure with Pantherstorm, of how somehow, while under Forestmask’s tutelage, the tom had started walking a less than honorable path which eventually led him to trying to attack Heronflight in the heat of battle. Unconsciously, he turned his injured shoulder further away from the medicine cat’s gaze, smile somehow not wavering at all. The brown tabby had always been admittedly good at ignoring his own problems, but now he was trying to take that skill to a new high and really push the limits. “‘M just fine! Don’t worry ’bout lil’ ol’ me, yeah? Just wanted ta drop in, give ya a fish, congratulate ya on the new job.”

“Which, by tha way, you’ll be stunnin’ at. If ya ever need anythin’, don’t be ‘fraid ta ask me, hm? I’ll beat up tha bullies and take ya out to gather herbs any time ya need,” he stated firmly, leaving no room for argument. With how short-lived Hickoryroot’s time as medicine cat had been, and how they had lost Fishtail before… Well, RiverClan medicine cat seemed like a slightly cursed job. Forestmask just wanted to make sure this one stuck around a bit longer.

Chris
    Participant

The fish tasted cool and crisp, and soon he was licking his lips a pleasant feeling of fullness in his tummy.

“I actually love flowers, they’re so pretty…” He mewed softly, ears angling back shyly. His father would always berate him for such soft interests, and to this day he could not discuss them without a physical response of unease.

As the other tomcat dismissed his initial concerns about merely his physical well-being, Rainysky’s empathetic senses perked up even higher. If Forestmask was one sort to deny that he was not doing well, it bolstered his suspicion that something did indeed lurk beneath that lackadaisical mien.  He drew a deep breath, donning once more that mental armor he found himself dusting off for his new patients.

“It’s my job to worry now- a-at least I’m good at that much.” He gave a nervous chuckle. “Still, you seem distracted, is there something besides your shoulder that’s hurting?” He tilted his head innocently, eyes shimmering like green seawater.

“You can trust that secrets do not leave this den.” He added, thinking of other words that had been uttered where the other tom now stood.

Hornetstar
    Participant

FORESTMASK.

The brown tabby felt satisfaction shoot through him when he noticed Rainysky had already finished the fish, pleased to see he had caught one of the more tasty ones. His discomfort from when his shoulder had been mentioned was already fading away, body visibly relaxing once more as the medicine cat commented on his like of flowers. “Well then I’ll have ta get ya some ta spruce up tha place, yeah? What’s yer favorite color? Sure I can find some good samples by tha borders,” he hummed, flashing the other tom an easy-going smile after noting the shy reaction.

As soon as the medicine cat was pushing on what was bothering Forestmask once more, however, the warrior’s walls visibly slammed back into place. He honestly wasn’t usually a very guarded cat, so it was obvious he was mentally steeling himself not to spill a drop of what was bothering him. His shoulders were once more tense, green eyes uncharacteristically hard as he stared at the grey tabby before him.

“No,” he stated firmly, just barely refraining from all out hissing at the other tom. By now something was obviously bothering him, but he clearly wasn’t going to be sharing. “Nothing is bothering me that I feel inclined to share, Rainysky. All you need to know is that it’s sensitive information, information that can shake the very foundation of this Clan. It’s not leaving my lips until I say so.” Push and wheedle as much as the medicine cat felt comfortable doing, but Forestmask was going to be unmovable, unshakable, uncrackable. “If all you’re going to do is bother me about that now, I think I’ll take my leave.”

Chris
    Participant

“W-wait! Foretmask, I’m sorry.” His entire demeanor shifted as he switched up his playbook. Clearly he was not willing to divulge anything, and it was far better to remain on good terms than push him if in the end nothing would be learned.

His ears pricked as he went on to mention that his news was sensitive. His blood suddenly felt like ice in his veins. He knows. Wait, how could he know? Rainysky could count on one paw the number of cats privy to their Leader’s secret. If there was another vein of cats who knew…. Well, who but she herself could have told them? He guessed it wasn’t his business who knew. It just didn’t seem wise to spread such news…

“O-oh, well did Wiseriastar tell you already…?” He tilted his head, hoping to understand where the other tom had come across this information.

Hornetstar
    Participant

FORESTMASK.

The brown tabby had been fully ready to leave, muscles bunched beneath his fur as he got ready to get to his paws, when Rainysky asked him to wait and then even apologized. That gave the warrior pause, green eyes staring at the medicine cat for a moment, before he felt it truly was safe to stay without worrying about more pestering. It was already such a pain to keep this secret, but being bothered to give it up? StarClan, he should have been working on his lying skills rather than his athleticism all these moons.

“Wait- What?” His eyes widened, attention fully captured as he pondered what Rainysky could possibly mean. His mother had a secret to be hiding as well? Forestmask was certain she hadn’t found out about Pantherstorm yet! “What’re ya talkin’ about, Rainysky? No one knows what I know.”

Chris
    Participant

The silver tabby bit his tongue as he abruptly realized that whatever information Forestmask was concealing, it was not what he’d assumed.

Idiot! She told you who already knows!

He kicked himself mentally, and put on what he hoped was a care-free expression to ward off any lingering suspicion.

“O-oh, well it’s not what I thought then! W-well, you’re not hurt so if you don’t mind I need to sort these….” He then proceeded to pick up his prey bones and put them where the chamomile would normally go, clearly put off by something.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Camp RiverClan Medicine Den Congrats on the Promotion {Forest + Rainy, Closed]