Checked and Marked Daily (RC Dawn Patrol)

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory Checked and Marked Daily (RC Dawn Patrol)

Tagged: 

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by snow.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SoliloquySilver
    Participant

Darktorrent strolled out of the warriors’ den, stretching out his body and shaking out his thick, dark pelt as he moved. He sat by the den, quietly observing as his clanmates began to file out for the day, most getting to their morning duties quickly. He gathered patrols to send to the Wind and SkyClan borders, deciding to accompany the patrol he would be sending to the ThunderClan border. The RiverClan deputy’s whiskers twitched as the wheels in his head began turning. The tom was examining his clanmates, picking out the cats he wished to accompany him on patrol. ‘Frostedshell… Swanpath… Blankstone… Creekfrost… Milkpaw and Snowpaw.’ Darktorrent nodded in satisfaction as he made his decision, then rose to his paws to inform the cats he had chosen. He gathered the warriors first, then went to retrieve the apprentices. When he returned to the group with RiverClan’s newest apprentices, he cleared his throat to address the patrol.

“Good morning, everyone,” He began, his green eyes scanning the faces gathered before him. “Today we will be checking and remarking the ThunderClan border. I don’t suspect that we’ll meet with any trouble, so if everything goes smoothly, we will also stop to fish before we return to camp. The fresh-kill pile is getting low, and it’ll be even lower once we return, as I’ve assigned a couple of the apprentices to dispose of the the older, stringy pieces of fresh-kill. Don’t want anybody getting handed a piece of rotten prey.” His whiskers twitch briefly before he continues. “Milkpaw, stay close to Creekfrost. Snowpaw, you stay close to me.  It’ll be easy for you two to get lost if you stray too far. Now, if everyone is ready, let’s head out.” With that, the large tomcat turned and headed for the camp entrance, flicking his tail for the others to follow.

After a short time of walking, Darktorrent glanced back at Snowpaw, offering her a small smile as he gestured for her to walk beside him instead of behind him. “So,” He began, lightly bumping her with his shoulder in a friendly manner. “First time out of camp. What do you think?” He asked quietly, raising an eyebrow. A young cat’s first exposure to the world outside of the camp’s walls could definitely be… overwhelming for them. A lot of brand new sights, smells, and sounds to discover. He observed the little white she-cat curiously, watching her reactions to all these new things. “The world is your oyster now, Snowpaw. There’s a lot for you to experience in this life now that you’re getting your first little taste of freedom,” He purred, lightly flicking her with his long, feathery tail. “I’m honored to be the warrior tasked with helping you grow.”

Lemon
    Participant

Milkpaw yawned as he and Snowpaw were gathered for the dawn patrol. He was still tired, but listened intently on what the older and more experienced warrior had to say, nodding every now and then to show that he was paying attention. He shuffled his paws nervously, there were a lot of cats in the patrol and it made him uneasy, he thought there would only be four cats per patrol!

He watched as Darktorrent began speaking to Snowpaw, and decided it best to see his mentor, Creekfrost. Milkpaw was bursting with excitement since it was his first time out of camp, but he was clearly distressed at the amount of cats. You could scent his distress on him, and it was in his face and in the way he moved. The new apprentice was pretty much shaking in his fur as he carefully walked over to Creekfrost, testing his footing as if the ground would fall under him.

He stood beside his mentor not saying a word as he shuffled his paws and waited for the patrol to start moving. He had one goal: Do the patrol without screwing up. He took a deep breath, filling with determination as he got ready to go on the patrol, and his first time out of camp.

Pheebs
    Participant

Swanpath eagerly padded forward. She had been stuck in camp for far too long, and the molly was ready to go and do something for her clan. The white furred warrior offered Darktorrent an encouraging smile, bowing her head towards the dark furred deputy.

“Nice to stretch your legs out, little one?” The scarred she-cat inquired, ducking her head in greeting to Milkpaw. The tom was young, as was Snowpaw, and she had a propensity to acting motherly towards young felines. Swanpath had two sons, fully grown, and she didn’t need more, yet she found herself growing attached to many juvenile warriors and apprentices alike. 

“I wish I’d brought Sharkpaw along,” Swanpath stated, louder for her patrol-mates to hear. “But I have him busy with another assignment.” If spending the day trying to talk to three new cats was a viable “assignment” for her to give an apprentice, that is. “I suppose that would’ve left us with lots of kits to watch over, though.” Swanpath teased, a smile tilting the corners of her lips.

snow
    Participant

s n o w p a w
    on patrol with darktorrent, frostedshell, swanpath, milkpaw, and creekfrost

The soft sunlight was barely stretching over the horizon, bathing the ground in a peach light as the group of cats gathered at the entrance of camp. Having just awoken, a rather small white molly was stretching out her limbs, shaking the sleep from them with a quick flick as she went to join the group of cats. She appeared momentarily surprised at the number of clanmates that surrounded her before quickly remembering it was her and Milkpaw’s first time out of camp, so they technically didn’t count. Adrenaline shocked through her paws, coursing through her veins and practically spilling out of her ears, tail lashing behind her excitedly. Her littermate didn’t look as thrilled as she did for some reason, seeming more dejected than usual. She nudged him gently and purred comfortingly to the tomcat before bounding over to her mentor as he signaled the cats to follow him. 

Snowpaw was trembling slightly, perhaps from the slight windy chill of the river, or maybe from sheer excitement. She hadn’t ventured out of camp before, and this would be quite the expedition for her small paws. At Darktorrent’s signal, she bounded over to him, her gray ringed tail swishing behind her lightly. As he spoke, she peered at him with round, blue eyes, curiosity gleaming in their depths. Warrior! You’re not just a warrior, you’re the clan deputy! she thought, suddenly feeling quite embarrassed in front of her mentor. She’d been sprinting about like a kit that wanted to escape camp, not a warrior apprentice! Her cheeks flushed with hotness only she could feel beneath her pelt, suddenly warmed against the morning chill. At Swanpath’s joke, she twitched a gray ear, feeling even more uncomfortable at the kit comment.

Matching her mentor’s speed on her stubby, short legs, Snowpaw smiled brightly and nodded, carefully listening to every word he said. “I-I hope to be the best warrior I can be,” she mewed in her small voice, realizing she wasn’t normally this rowdy. Typically the she-cat was much more attentive, but as she’d gotten closer to her apprentice ceremony she’d grown restless. “Are we going to see the ThunderClan border?” she asked suddenly, wondering what the sunning rocks looked like. “Can you smell their scent from across the river, or does it hide it?” She shook out a gray paw as dew stuck to it, whiskers twitching softly. “I hope we can see a ThunderClan cat, my mom says they smell like they’ve lived in a fox den their whole lives.” She glanced back at Milkpaw, hoping her brother would chime in, though he seemed a bit occupied with placing his pawsteps just right. He’d always been the cautious one while Snowpaw took too many risks. Thankfully, the pair balanced each other out.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by snow.
    Chris
    Participant

Blankstone tread evenly in the middle of the throng, his pawsteps nearly as silent as the rest of her. There was an odd amount of white cats on today’s patrol, she noted. Though it did not include her son Snowbound. It had mildly irritated her when another Queen had chosen the first-half name of ‘snow’ for her kit. Blankstone saw it as ill-mannered if one already existed. Confusing at best and redundant at worst.

The long-furred she-cat had spoken little since they had first set out. This did not arouse much notice however, as she was known by her Clanmates to be reserved lest the situation demand otherwise. More so now than ever, since the death of her daughter Swiftsream in the last battle. It was with great ease on her part that the period of mourning had elapsed, relieving her of the pitying stares and unwanted condolences from her Clanmates. She knew that they meant well, but the danger had been no more to her daughter than anyone else’s. It could have been any cat, she had said. Horrified stares had greeted her in return. But she was not wrong, was she?

She did her best to put the matter from her head when she could. She’d worried at the issue the way a dog did to a bone, but it yielded no new revelations.

“That is chiefly said to foster ill relations with our neighbors.” She stated placidly, to Snowpaw when the kitten spoke of ThunderClan. “They smell of the forest. It does not do to insult them, or spread lies. Your mother is a fool if she earnestly believes that, though I doubt that she does.”

Lemon
    Participant

Milkpaw
    He/Him, Apprentice, RiverClan

He smiled awkwardly and nodded at Swanpath, continuing to act nervous and shy. He took a deep breath, the warm cents of RiverClan territory flooding his nose. He had wondered what border was going to be checked, and how he could learn the scents of rival Clans. He looked at the cats around him, he looked at Creekfrost and bit his tongue a little. “Hey, Creekfrost, what border are we going to be checking?” He asked quietly, almost in a whisper. His blue eyes shone with weakness as he waited hesitantly for his mentor’s reply.

SoliloquySilver
    Participant

Darktorrent smiled softly as Snowpaw tried to rein herself in. “It’s okay to feel excited, little one. You’re still young, as you experience more, that excitement will dull all on its own. Enjoy it while it’s there,” He said quietly, whiskers twitching in acknowledgement to the apprentice’s questions about ThunderClan. “Actually-“ the dark furred deputy began, but he was cut off by the gruff voice of Blankstone, which caused his eyes to narrow faintly. That she-cat had absolutely no tact. ‘Why did I even bring her on this patrol?’ He asked himself, looking at her over his shoulder.

“Easy, Blankstone. It was an innocent question, no harm done. The forest dwellers insult our way of life all the time, if they get their pelts ruffled over a comment such as that, they need to grow thicker hides.” He meowed coolly, flicking his tail in slight irritation as he faced forward once more. “Besides, that’s not too far of an accusation, anyway. The fox that tried to attack Sorrelember came from ThunderClan. I bet they’re overrun with the things.” The tom snorted, rolling his shoulders a bit at the memory. He still had some scars that were trying to heal from that fight. He wore them with pride, however. Fighting the fox was part of the reason he had been named deputy, after all.

“As I was saying,” He began, his attention finally returning to Snowpaw. “There is no river separating us from ThunderClan. All our borders are landlocked, meaning that the borders we share with Wind, Thunder, and SkyClan all rest upon dry land,” He explained, whiskers twitching. “So yes, you’ll get a good whiff of them once we’re at the border. We’ll arrive soon, why don’t you tell me when you think you’ve caught their scent? It’s very different from ours.” He gave her an encouraging smile, gently resting his tail along her back. He’d been a bit nervous about taking on his first apprentice as deputy, but he was becoming confident that he and Snowpaw were going to get along just fine.

snow
    Participant

s n o w p a w
    the dawn patrol

It was clear the young white and gray she-cat was listening intently to Darktorrent, despite her urge to suddenly sprint and run away. I can’t wait to learn how to swim in the river and hunt in the river and throw pebbles in the river and-, her thoughts broke off as Blankstone piped up. Snowpaw hadn’t be prepared for the malice that laced her words, ears flattening in response. She hadn’t interacted with the warrior before, and for good reason. At the snide remark toward her mother, the apprentice opened her mouth to spit out a fiery response, but her mentor beat her to it. His cool tone and nonchalant dismissal of Blankstone only earned him more of Snowpaw’s attention. It was certainly impressive to hold your temper, something the molly wasn’t too good at. I hope he can teach me how to do that too… she wondered softly, whiskers twitching. 

Snowpaw hadn’t realized the river didn’t run across the border, but she had just assumed the river was massive and circled the whole territory. Eager to see more, she nodded at her mentor’s question, opening her mouth and trying to scent anything out of the ordinary. All she got so far was the cats on patrol… and maybe something else? She wrinkled her nose, blue eyes narrowed as she focused. “Are we close?” she mewed, tail tip flicking to and fro. “I think I smell leaves, or maybe moss?” It was more a question than a statement as the crew continued on, the border coming into sight. Despite her intense desire to see into ThunderClan territory, Snowpaw placed her pawsteps carefully as she continued next to Darktorrent, forcing herself not to charge away. 

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by snow.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory Checked and Marked Daily (RC Dawn Patrol)