Skip to toolbar

As the Stars Fall [Dark & Smoke]

Forums Neutral Areas Ghostly Flats As the Stars Fall [Dark & Smoke]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lux
    Participant

Smokewisp – Shadowclan Deputy

Ugh, I feel like I ate a whole rabbit.

Smokewisp quietly groaned, rushing along the border between Riverclan and Windclan. Perhaps seeing the Shadowclan deputy running alone, after midnight, would be suspicious. But, she was desperate for a break. She wanted to be alone, beneath the wind and stars. Shadowclan territory felt so cramped sometimes, beneath the snow-laden pines. Her paws itched to run free, for fresh air and the ocean breeze. So, she headed for the only place that she wouldn’t be troubled, where surely no other cat would go. She left for the ghostly flats, taking gentle care of her rounding belly.

The news of her pregnancy weighed heavily upon her. Of course, she was excited. But it was also leaf-bare, and great wounds had been torn between the clans. There was much work to be done, and she simply hadn’t anticipated this. ‘Starclan, how will I balance this all?‘ she silently wondered. Shadowclan needed to make reparations with Windclan and Thunderclan. As much as she loved maintaining a strong and independent Shadowclan, some things simply couldn’t be weathered alone. The storm, which rocked the clans earlier this year, was evidence of that.

Her jaw slacked as she gazed skyward. It was raining stars.

Oh Starclan,” she mewed quietly, her breath misting the air. “They’re like tadpoles, streaking across silverpelt.” She sat on the flats’ iced over stone, shivering off the cold. The meteor shower was fantastic, and she’d only seen one before. Many moons ago, on a similarly chilly night, she’d been enraptured by a similar sight in Shadowclan territory. But, she’d never seen it so close. She reached out with a mottled paw towards the stars, feeling as if she could catch them.

Courtesy of Mairu Doggy, Deviant Art
    SoliloquySilver
    Participant

‘I just need a moment to breathe. A moment to myself, space I don’t have to share with any other RiverClan cat. That’s all I’m asking for.’ The dark tabby’s thoughts were racing as he crept through RiverClan territory. Since becoming deputy, he’d hardly ever had a moment’s peace. Someone was always wanting his attention. warriors trying to get into his good graces in hopes that he would make them deputy some day, cocky apprentices showing off in hopes he would tell their mentors to allow them to become warriors sooner… Hell, he’d even noticed a pawfull of she-cats batting their eyelashes at him whenever they got the chance, no matter how obvious he made it that he wasn’t interested. He missed being a warrior.

When he was just another RiverClan warrior, cats would leave him alone. Nobody would request to join him for a hunt or a walk. Nobody would strike up random, pointless conversations with him at the fresh-kill pile. Now it seemed like everyone felt entitled to know everywhere he went and everything he did and they all wanted to be a part of his world. They all wanted to know him in a way that just a few moons ago, nobody in the world even cared about. How could he allow his clan to meet a cat that he didn’t even know?

‘Who are you?’

The question rang out in his mind, clear as day, and stopped him in his tracks. He took in the sights around him, realizing that he’d crossed the border and stumbled into the Ghostly Flats. At least he’d ended up in neutral ground.  ‘I am no one. There is nothing special about me.’ He answered the voice in his head, blinking up at the sky. Shooting stars were streaking the inky abyss above him. He’d only seen such a thing once, when he was just a kit.

‘What are you hiding from?’ The voice asked him. Darktorrent sighed, making his way towards the stone where the leaders perched above their warriors at a gathering. ‘My clan,’ the deputy answered simply, lifting a paw to touchy the icy stone. Someday he would perch here at gatherings, and the thought terrified him.

The voice in his head piped up one last time. ‘Why?’ For some reason, the question stung. ‘Because I have to! They need a strong cat as their deputy, not a cat like me! I’m not cut out for all this!’ Darktorrent lashed out internally, hopping up on the rock as if he was fleeing an enemy he could not see. He hadn’t expected to see anybody else on top of the stone once he made it up, and nearly slipped right back off due to his surprise. He was sure he had scared whoever else was up here with his sudden appearance as well

“Oh feathers, I am so sorry! I didn’t even notice that anyone else was here-“ The RiverClan deputy sputtered, dipping his head apologetically and lowering himself to show that he wasn’t a threat. So much for the alone time…

Lux
    Participant

The sound of paws against stone caught her attention, causing a quick end to her kittish play. “Who’s there?” she demanded, a threatening edge to her voice. She took a tentative sniff, noting the tom’s Riverclan scent. “Oh,” she mewed. “I’m Smokewisp. I hope I’m not bothering you, although this is neutral land.” Her posture eased, and she looked towards the stars once again.

Its been many moons since I last saw something like this. Sitting beneath silverpelt, watching the stars and feeling the wind against my fur helps remind me of how small I am.” She sat in silence, her tail wrapped tightly around her paws. It was quite cold, especially with the chilly sea breeze. “I suppose you’re wondering what a Shadowclanner is doing so far from home, especially a deputy. But, sometimes the duties get a bit … overwhelming.” She let out a shuddering sigh, watching her breath’s fog. “S-so, I came here, to get away from it all. Leaving the territory helps me get a better perspective on things.

Her ears swiveled as she glanced at Darktorrent. “Easy to miss the forest for the trees, or something like that, right? Although, I ‘m not sure if Riverclan cats know much about that,” she chuckled softly.

SoliloquySilver
    Participant

The tom’s ears flattened at the she-cat’s harsh tone. A fight was the last thing he wanted- he sighed in relief as she relaxed, and slowly returned to his full height, relaxing his posture as well. “Ah, yes, I’ve seen you at gatherings. My name is Darktorrent,” he said, dipping his head respectfully “Not a bother at all, you were here first, after all…” He trailed off, allowing Smokewisp to speak.

“I was four moons old the last time I saw this… Mother didn’t let us out of the nursery often, and the only time I ever snuck out was to see the falling stars the apprentices had been talking about.” He sighed softly, slowly plopping onto his belly as the ShadowClan deputy brought up duties.

“I wasn’t going to ask why you were here, really. I’m sure you already have enough noses in your business all the time as is,” He mumbled. “My clanmates sure love getting into mine. I don’t know how the rest of you have managed to stay sane for so long,” he grumbled, catching a falling leaf under his paw and beginning to absently shred it to pieces with his claws. “I’ve only been RiverClan’s deputy for about three moons and I’m already out here hiding.” The tom raised his paw, allowing the wind to blow the little pieces of leaf away. “I don’t know much about trees, but I feel like I’ve been dropped in the middle of a forest and told to find my own way home with no guidance,” Darktorrent stared up at the stars with an unreadable expression, his tail lashing faintly. “I was out looking for answers, but I think StarClan is a bit busy tonight,” He finally muttered, watching as the stars danced across the sky.

“…I think Wisteriastar made a mistake when she chose me,” he admitted quietly after another stretch of silence, shaking his head. Why was he telling her this? He didn’t know. He definitely wasn’t making a great first impression, that was for sure. He’d never even spoken that thought to Sorrelember, the one cat he promised to tell everything to. And yet, here he was, informing a stranger from a rival clan of his biggest insecurity. What was wrong with him?

“My apologies. I’m sure some mopey stranger is the last thing you wanted to deal with tonight,” He said, beginning to stand. “You were here first, I’ll leave you to stargaze in peace,” he offered, dipping his head as he turned away.

Lux
    Participant

Smokewisp listened quietly as Darktorrent confided his troubles. Occasionally, she nodded along, although she couldn’t bring herself to turn from the stars above. Although she’d intended to be alone, listening to someone else share similar worries was oddly comforting. She’d never taken much time to speak with the other clan deputies. She’d seldom had the time, as meeting outside gatherings was exceedingly rare.

Wait, Darktorrent,” she mewed quietly as he turned to leave. Her amber eyes fixed upon the dark tom as her tone grew serious. “I’ve had similar fears, and I’ve felt just as stressed as you,” she acknowledged. “Privacy is a precious commodity for us deputies, and having your clanmate’s eyes constantly upon you can be unnerving,” her chest rumbled with a light chuckle. “But, I realized something. Darktorrent, becoming deputy didn’t change us. In fact, I don’t think our leaders want us to change. They wanted us each to serve, in our own unique way. What our clanmates feel is the ‘perfect’ deputy isn’t necessarily right.” She stood, tail held high and proudly. “We’re free to be ourselves, and we don’t need to conform to anyone else’s expectations. We were chosen because we’re the right cat for the job.” A soft smile curled her lips as she gave him a reassuring look. “You’re not alone in your worries. But, I think such fears are misplaced.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Neutral Areas Ghostly Flats As the Stars Fall [Dark & Smoke]