Another Day In Paradise

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory Rolling Moors Another Day In Paradise

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Shy
    Participant
    Nightpaw
    Apprentice of Windclan

The grass grew tall and wild, yellowing slightly under the hot summer sun that warmed the moorland. With each gust of wind, it flattened in waves, the soft ripples and rustling as alive as her steady breaths. Nightpaw bounded excitedly in front of her mentor, turning to face him once she was ahead. Although this wasn’t the first or even the second time she’d been out and about, she was still only in the beginnings of her apprenticeship and everything was very new to her. Though, even if it was something she’d done a hundred times over, Nightpaw would probably still be excited about it— and who could blame her? It was only Leafbare when she’d first arrived in Windclan. All she’d known before then was the cozy life of a kittypet who’d longed for the thrill of being a warrior. Being here was everything she’d ever dreamed of; every pawstep into her apprenticeship a joyful experience. Sometimes she pitied Quiethawk for being given such an eager apprentice. “So, what are we doing today?” she asked him with a smile, eyes alight with curiosity.

Olive
    Participant

Tallpaw- Windclan Apprentice
    The alert grey apprentice padded next to his mentor, his ears straight ahead. His clanmates, Nightpaw, and her mentor, Quiethawk were ahead of him. Tallpaw’s own mentor, Whisperinghowl was next to him. The four Windclan cats were making their way through tall grasses, bending in the gentle, billowing breeze. It ran through the tom’s pelt, cooling him down from the stifling sun that was beating down. It was rather nice, and pleasant. Tallpaw recalled the time when there was no wind, and occasional clouds. It was so peaceful and quiet, you could probably have heart prey a hundered fox lengths away!
    The Windclan apprentice was rather eager and curious to find out what they were going to do today. He glanced forward at Nightpaw who he could tell was bubbling with energy. Tallpaw turned his green eyes to Whisperinghowl, the black molly in which he was recently appointed with. He liked his mentor, but still had time to get to get more acquainted with. From the level of his interest of their purpose he asked, “Do you know what we have in mind today? It’s very nice out.” Tallpaw chirped, adding on to his question. It sounded a little funky but he didn’t really care. What he mostly cared about was what they were going to do today. He looked forward to it, energy pricking his paws. Tallpaw flicked his tail happily as he padded on.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Olive.
    Pheebs
    Participant

Q U I E T H A W K

Quiethawk had taken some time to relax into the role of a mentor, and while he was still unsure in some instances he was beginning to see the potential in Nightpaw becoming possibility. That wasn’t to say he liked the molly, but at least he wasn’t bristling around her as much. She was slowly earning his acceptance (respect being too strong a word). “So, what are we doing today?”

The brown-grey tom pretended to consider the question and, after a long pause, responded in a slow voice. “Hunting.” The original plan had been to work on some defensive moves and possibly a few offensive ones, as well. Taking into consideration Nightpaw and Tallpaw’s high spirits and energy, and recent events, however, made the warrior change his original plan. Quiethawk was curious to see how the pair would perform when low on energy seeing as it would build endurance and in battles that lasted for extended periods of time, even adrenaline wouldn’t help you.

“Go ahead with Nightpaw, Tallpaw.” Quiethawk motioned for the tom to walk up to Nightpaw. Just before the other got into earshot, Quiet leaned down to speak with his apprentice. “Remember, I have high expectations.” Quiethawk had a general dislike of most outsiders except for those that rightfully earned their place in Windclan. From his standpoint, Nightpaw had done little, the wildcat attack aside, and so he placed the bar high and made sure she knew it. If one apprentice brought back a hare bigger than them, Quiethawk expected Nightpaw to bring back two. If another apprentice could best Nightpaw in combat, then her mentor wanted her to train until she couldn’t see straight and leave no room for failure. Nightpaw was well aware of Quiethawk’s high standards and if she wasn’t, he made sure to remind her. After all, the Clan comes before everything, and Quiet devoted his time and attention almost religiously to it.

“The apprentices can hunt a bit, wear themselves out. Then we can work on battle training.” Quiethawk spoke softly to Whisperinghowl, having fallen back a few steps so that he was shoulder to shoulder with the other. “It will help us asses how much endurance they have. Not to mention in a real battle where they’ll be expected to fight for an indefinite amount of time they must have energy and a strong constitution.”

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Pheebs.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Pheebs.
    Roach
    Participant

Flower Gifs Images - Best Animations

Whisperinghowl

Pursing her lips in silent distaste at the abundance of energy radiating off the two younger apprentices. Though she couldn’t help but feel nostalgic at the thought of when she too had just became an apprentice; it surely felt like it was forever ago. The tall long-haired tuxedo molly pads slowly behind, deciding to take up the rear of their make-shift group. Apricot orange hues flicker lazily as they continue onward through the rolling moors. Hades of green fields stretching endlessly through hills all around, a magnificent sight to behold. Smiling softly to herself as for a moment she forgets that her task at hand was her apprentice. Blinking owlishly over at Tallpaw, her haunting orange gaze piercing through him for a moment. Humming in mild amusement as the apprentice chirps with overwhelming excitement. Stealing a quick glance at Quiethawk and nightpaw before leaning closer to tallpaw. “You’ll find out when Quiethawk announces” smirking before continuing on their way.

If there was one thing she truly enjoyed, would have to be teaching, as she learned with her previous apprentice. Teaching is when she fully comes out of her shell of solitude. Ears perking up as she strains to listen to the muffled conversation between Quiethawk and Nightpaw, frowning at the less than thrilled tone of the male warrior. It would seem that he was not as thrilled to be a mentor as she was. ‘Hmm, I’m sure it will change’ she thought. Closing her eyes briefly at the cool breeze brushing against her thick pelt, the sun slowly rising up in the sky. Painting the dark sky in hues of pinks and purples, such a calming aura seems to seep into the environment around them. In all honest truth, she was not sure what they would be doing, as it was so sudden that Tallpaw begged her to tag along with Quiethawk and his apprentice. Therefore; she decided to leave the decision up to her fellow clanmate as she couldn’t be bothered to think something up on the fly.

‘Finally’ inwardly thinking as it was decided that the young apprentices will show their mentors just how much they have been paying attention in the terms of hunting. Nodding her cranium in silent agreement with Quiet, believing that hunting to be a main skill ones should master before learning anything else. After all; hunting is mandatory for survival out in the wilds. Rolling her eyes at Quiethawk’s explanation to his decisions, she was not daft. “I know” was her simple reply as she pads closer towards him so they both could observe their apprentices. “I also believe that being hard on your apprentice will do nothing but backfire. Each feline learns in different ways, I’m sure you will find that out on your own though” Her voice held no ridicule, yet just giving him some friendly advise. “Though…I bet my apprentice will surely catch more than yours” she teases, a playful gleam in her orange eyes as she gives Quiethawk a grin.

“I believe hunting is the first important skill an apprentice should master. Yes; fighting is definitely needed as tensions are high right now, but…” trailing off, brows furrowing as she tries to find the right words to express herself. “I would rather have my apprentice be able to hunt and provide for himself than know how to kill another feline…at least right now” she mutters, ears flicking backwards in slight discomfort at how idiotic she must sound. In a way she would like Tallpaw to keep his innocence for as long as possible, as she knew from experience that growing up too fast wasn’t always the best.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Roach.
    Shy
    Participant
    Nightpaw
    Apprentice of Windclan

While Nightpaw’s pragmatic streak knew not to shoot too high, her idealistic nature wouldn’t let her accept second best. Being born an outsider, she had to work twice as hard to prove herself. Every step had to bring her closer to becoming a respectable warrior of Windclan, and there were no room for mistakes. It seemed impossible at times but Nightpaw never once backed down. If she failed, she failed at least knowing that she gave it her best shot, and that was all that mattered. It wasn’t important to her that anyone knew her name or where she came from, but rather her character and how hard she tried despite the obstacles. For within that knowledge was the core of who she truly was.

Ears switching, she looked back at Tallpaw and gave her mentor a nod of understanding. Even though she’d been living in the same den as all of the apprentices, there were still some she didn’t know very well, and Tallpaw was one of them. A knowing smile spread across her features when Quiethawk leaned in to speak to her. “How could I possibly forget?” she laughed, though judging from his normally humorless expression, she wouldn’t be hearing a chuckle from him. Quiethawk had been extremely hard on her since becoming his apprentice, but it didn’t bother her. In fact, she enjoyed it. It wasn’t easy to win his approval, and easy wasn’t something she wanted. If she didn’t earn it through hard work and determination, it didn’t feel right to her.

Once Tallpaw had reached her side, she turned to look at him with bright, amber eyes. “We haven’t spoken much since my arrival in Windclan but I’m happy to be training with you today!” she offered him a friendly smile, hoping to start off a friendship with the tom. With her cheerful introduction in place, Nightpaw dipped her head respectfully, quickly branching off from the path to begin hunting on her own.

Her chest filled with air as she breathed in the earthy scent of the moorland, soon picking up the scent of a few field mice and some nearby rabbits. By now, hunting felt completely natural to her, and she’d long perfected her crouch by practicing on her own to strengthen her muscles. Falling perfectly into position, she began to creep forward, testing her footing before putting her full weight into it. Not having the characteristics of a Windclan cat proved difficult when on the prowl, but it didn’t discourage her. If she couldn’t race after rabbits like the others, she would practice her stealth and get them before they ever had the chance to run. Step by step, she neared her target until she was close enough to spring forward, and in a single burst, she launched herself. With a clean bite to the neck, she soundlessly finished the rabbit off and hid it beneath a clump of grass before starting again. If she were to impress Quiethawk, she’d need to do better than just a rabbit.

Olive
    Participant

The Windclan apprentice straightened and nodded as Quiethawk suggested for him to walk alongside Nightpaw. Him and the she cat never really spoke. And now was perfect opportunity to get to know his clanmate. Tallpaw knew Nightpaw was one with a lot of energy, and he didn’t mind, as his excitable personality matched. He also hoped that they could get along, because it would  be nice to have a friend as they grew up. The apprentice turned briefly back to Whisperinghowl, as she was about to respond.

Tallpaw nodded when his mentor replied, her bright gold eyes hinted with amusement.  That seemed to only add to his eagerness. Maybe just a hunt, or maybe training.The tom flicked his ears, hoping maybe training. Since he was a new apprentice, he wanted to prove to Whisperinghowl that he was a strong and capable cat. “Okay!” He replied to the she cat, trying to mentally smooth his fur. The apprentice inwardly noted that he shouldn’t be too crazy. Instead he would make sure he was more focused. Before he became an apprentice, he wanted to show Whisperinghowl his skills, and also learn. Before he got distracted, Tallpaw remembered about Nightpaw, and made his way over.

The light tabby neared after he bounded over, to pad alongside the darker she cat. After she spoke, he brightened, lifting his tail in a friendly manner. “I know.” He nodded, agreeing at her first comment. “I’m glad too! Honestly, I’m sorry I haven’t spoken up, but it’s a good chance for us to talk and get to know each other.” Tallpaw smiled back before he saw her veer off the path suddenly. Watching her stalk away, his nose flooded with scent of a rabbit, and he tensed, but then relaxed, because it was her prey. He would have to wait. to show Whisperinghowl what he could do. The Windclan apprentice observed Nightpaw lower into a rather impressive crouch, for her large build. As she dragged herself closer to the prey he couldn’t see, he thought of what pros came of having a contrasting build than most Windclan cats. But as soon as he finished the thought, Tallpaw witnessed the she cat swiftly catch her prey, covering it soon after. He had to admit, it was a good catch, as she almost made it look easy.

Once Nightpaw returned next to him, he flicked his ears positively, dipping his head. “Nice catch! I bet Quiethawk will take notice!” He murmured under his breath with slight amusement so their mentors wouldn’t overhear.  Tallpaw grinned, continuing along side her. Nightpaw had always seemed like a nice cat, but he still needed time in case she didn’t like her. But he swallowed away the thought, turning his head back to her. “I wonder what we’re doing next.” The tom wondered aloud, sniffing the air, a soft breeze shifting the grasses and flowers ahead of them, and running through his pelt.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Olive.
    Pheebs
    Participant

“Nightpaw is a wild card. We don’t know where she came from or if she’s a rogue, a loner, or worse: a kittypet,” he spat out, “I’m pushing her to see where her limits are. If Nightpaw isn’t prepared for that then she never should’ve joined this clan.” Whisperinghowl’s next words had Quiethawk’s fur falling flat once more, the start of an amused smirk playing at the corners of his lips. “Oh, I wouldn’t be so confident.” 

Quiethawk allowed Whisperinghowl’s opinion to be said, offering a snort of derision. “I’m not training her to kill, I’m training her to not be useless. In case you haven’t noticed, we need fighters as much as we need hunters. From what I’ve seen of her, Nightpaw has the potential to be a great fighter and I plan on utilizing that potential and making it real.” The tom rarely praised his apprentice, and even then he kept his voice cool. Of course, Nightpaw was nowhere close to winning him over, but Quiet would be a liar and a fool if he said he didn’t like her fire. In some ways, she reminded the tom of himself, with that same drive and relentless soul. It warmed Quiethawk’s chest with something suspiciously close to pride.

The grey and brown marble tabby paused, tail flicking up to halt Whisperinghowl’s movements. Quiethawk’s curious gaze trailed after Nightpaw, darting to the rabbit that’d caught his apprentice’s attention. He noted the careful attention the black molly took to keeping quiet, her steps too soft to be taken for anything but the typical sounds of nature. ‘Good. She’s been working on her crouches.’  Nightpaw’s stealth when hunting pleased the tom as he himself was also skilled in the art of going undetected. Quiethawk’s pelt blended well into the moor and shadows, and he’d found that his grace and observance made up for his inability to use brute force in battle. After Nightpaw finished burying her prey the warrior quickened his pace until he stood a few inches to the left of Tallpaw.

“I wonder what we’re doing next.” The warrior sneered, “I gave us the task to hunt, and so far only Nightpaw has caught something. If you think a group of four supposedly capable cats can come back to camp with one rabbit then you are sorely mistaken, Tallpaw. Nightpaw,” Quiethawk tilted his head to address the molly. “You can do better than a single rabbit and I expect to see evidence of that.” The warrior paused, as if considering something. “I know you’re slower than a snail but remember that the longer you take creeping up on your prey, the more time it has to notice you. Stealth is great but in hunting you need to incorporate some speed.” With that being said the warrior broke off from the group, paws seemingly flying above the ground as Quiethawk darted away. A second later he’d snatched a field mouse up in his jaws, snapping its neck in the process. He buried his mouse swiftly, taking his sweet little time coming back.

“Two points for us,” the warrior snarked, taking his place beside Nightpaw as he addressed Whisperinghowl. “How much have you and Tallpaw caught?” Quiethawk’s words were unfair, of course, as they’d only been hunting for a few minutes. Regardless, the competitive side of him had slipped out and he wasn’t going to apologize for any harsh words that left his mouth.

Roach
    Participant

🌬 Elemental Magick.🌬 — Feather Spell

Whisperinghowl

Raising a perfect kitty brow in Quiethawk’s direction, listening to his harsh yet factual words. Letting her orange gaze flicker over to the forms of Nightpaw and Tallpaw. Observing the dark she-apprentice in slight interest as the grey-brown marbled tom defends his reasoning on putting up a tough front in regards to training the new comer. Huffing in mild irritation at his bland statement when referring to loners, rogues, and kittypets. Feeling the fur along her shoulders bristle as she gives him a haughty look, “It does not matter where one comes from. It just matters how they adapt and use what we teach them to their best abilities” eyes narrowing into slits, nostrils flaring as she takes a deep breath as she did not want to lose her cool. Rolling her shoulders as she lets the agitation disappear from her form. She found it oddly amusing how the tom before her could be rude and harsh one moment than sarcastically playful the next.

Snorting in a unladylike manner as he boasts that her confidence would not last long. ‘So cocky’ she couldn’t help but think before responding, “Not everyone has the skills or talent to be a fighter” she points out with a small shrug. “Though I do agree, knowing to fight even if it is just the basics is detrimental” she reasons with an easygoing smile. Furrowing her brows as she watches her young apprentice communicate with his fellow apprentice companion. She could tell that he was not the type to take a playful competition seriously. Which could be a good thing as its terrible to be a sorry sport when losing. She has only been training Tallpaw for little over a moon, but she can sense the raw potential within him. Whisperinghowl just needs to figure out how to get him to exploit his talents. That’s what she enjoys the most, figuring out ways that works best in teaching. As the black and white molly is always up for a challenge.

Barely paying attention to Nightpaw’s impressive kill as she follows behind Quiethawk. Growling under her breath as she listens to him reprimand her apprentice. Barring her fangs in a protective manner as she glares at him pointedly. “I believe I have it from here” clicking her tongue before letting her piercing eyes soften when looking upon Tallpaw. “Don’t listen to that grumpy-old brute over there” her tone lightening as she smirks over at Quiet before giving her attention to her apprentice. “But—“ pausing as she gives him a stern look. “Now isn’t the time to mess around. I want to see if you have retained anything that I have taught you. Or to see if you have been practicing without me. Now show me what you got” Whisperinghowl smiles down at him before backing away, barely catching Quiethawk’s jab in her direction as neither her nor her apprentice have caught anything yet. Letting a mischievous smirk pull at her lips as she shoots Quiethawk a look as if to say: watch this.

Maw parting, panting lightly as she lets the foreign scents invade her senses. Feathery white whiskers twitching at the smell and taste of pheasant catches her attention. Tilting her cranium in the direction of the scent. Without sparring any of her companions a second glance as she lightly pressing against the dry earth. Her white paws spreading with each step to absorb the impact of her movements. Keeping her tail from brushing against the ground as she lowers herself expertly into a hunter’s crouch. Her shoulder blades rolling with her careful steps, eyes narrowing into slits in concentration. Mouth watering at the strong aroma from the feathered plump bird. Letting the tall grass cover her dark form as she inches closer and closer, never taking her eyes away from her target. Once she was close enough did she attack, putting all her weight into her hind legs, claws digging into the dirt before propelling herself upwards.

The sudden noise of her leap alerts the unsuspected pheasant, causing the brown white and red feathered creature to open it wings. Lifting its plump torso off the ground with every intent to fly off, but Whisperhowl was faster. Adrenaline coursing through her veins, a wicked grin on her lips as her forepaw swipes in a downward stroke. Her claws hooking into its wing, letting the momentum of her body bring the bird down with her. Twisting her form slightly in order to get a better grip and access to snap it’s neck swiftly and cleanly. Licking her lips at the taste of it’s blood dripping from her mouth before dragging its limp form under a brush, making sure to hide it from unwanted predators. Shaking her ruffled pelt out before making her way back towards Quiethawk with a smug look on her features.

“One Point for us. Don’t count us out just yet. Oh nice little mouse you caught there, I expected something more…” trailing off as she gives him a playful wink before turning to Tallpaw. “Now show me what you got!” She encourages.

Shy
    Participant
    Nightpaw
    Apprentice of Windclan

“Thank yo—” the words were hardly out of her mouth when Quiethawk appeared out of nowhere. To her relief, her mentor’s frustrated tone wasn’t directed at her, though she felt awful that Tallpaw had to experience it. When he finally turned his attention to her, she met his intense yellow gaze with a playful smirk. “You’re mistaken if you think I was finished. I was just about to head back out,” she promptly informed him, her fluffy tail twitching with anticipation to continue hunting as she listened to him go on. “I’ll do well to keep that in mind. Thank you, Quiethawk,” she dipped her head gratefully towards her mentor, genuinely thankful for his guidance. While many would agree that words were harsh, and some might even think he was being too hard on her, she understood his criticism. She needed to be faster if she were to exceed his expectations and impress everyone. Rising to her paws, Nightpaw stepped out from the small group, momentarily watching Quiethawk with awe before slipping back into the tall grass.

‘Alright. Where are all of you hiding,’ she thought, closing her eyes to bring focus to her sense of smell and hearing. Once again, she caught wind of another rabbit and dropped into a crouch. Flattening her belly to the ground, she crept forward, using all her hunting skills to stay undetected. This time she tried moving a little faster than before, still being careful not to make any noise, but missed her footing. The joint of her left paw rolled awkwardly, causing a sharp pain to shoot up her leg, and instead of jerking back clumsily, she carefully shifted her weight to the other paw. ‘Rabbit ears!’ she cursed to herself, readjusting her injured paw. This was certainly something she’d have to practice more of in the future. Ignoring the pain, she kept going, only quickening her pace when she was close enough to do so; long, brown ears flicking only once before falling limp in her jaws. This time the rabbit was much smaller.

Doing her best to walk normally, she skirted around the edges of the windswept moorland, where the grass and foliage grew thick. It was not long before she spotted a mouse scuffling among some brittle grass stems. As it scrounged around in the dirt for seeds, completely unaware of her, Nightpaw sprang and finished it off. By now the pain in her paw was growing sore, but she would have to endure it for now. There was certainly more to come of this session.

Olive
    Participant

The brown tabby apprentice almost didn’t notice his stance freeze mid stride, and the fur on the ridge of his spine bristle slightly. Quiethawk’s words sliced through him, but Tallpaw hid his irritation, but saying nothing, and locking his gaze on Nightpaw’s mentor. But as the tom pivoted his stern gaze to the black she cat next to him, his lecture made him want to retort something smart, but he knew it wouldn’t be the right thing. He wasn’t exactly the cat to argue back anyway, as the apprentices tended to be the ones losing toe dispute. So he held his tongue, increasing determination and confidence bubbling in him. Even if Whisperinghowl, and he hadn’t caught prey yet, it wasn’t like they couldn’t. And the prey isn’t going to run out anytime soon anyways. Tallpaw smirked slightly. Once Quiethawk finished his unjust spiel, Tallpaw narrowed his eyes at the sound of the ‘points’. He didn’t want the to bother him, yet he was still a rather new apprentice, and this was a chance for him to prove himself. So he would, and show the brash warrior that he wasn’t at all at mouse brained.

His head turned to his own mentor, as the she cat sidled up next to him. Aware of Whisperinghowl’s sudden imposing and tone of authority, the Windclan apprentice was grateful he had a mentor like her. He could only imagine what his life would be like if he was Quiethawk’s but as he thought, the tom didn’t seem all that bad, but pitied Nightpaw for his mood flips. Sensing Whisperinghowl’s bright amber gaze on him, he lifted his own green eyes, which were a mix of many emotions. As she mentioned to him of her wanting to establish if he had anything she could array, and that’s what he wanted to do, impress her. Unlike Quiethawk, the black she cat was more gentle, but had a motherly, and protective side to her. Tallpaw gave a nod of determination, hoping his courage would stand with him. He knew he had it in him, and his paws were nearly twitching with eagerness, and excitement. “I will!” Tallpaw promised her, as Whisperinghowl backed away. His ears forward, he watched with interest as he understood his mentor was going to catch her piece of prey, and the tabby tom saw the fiery confidence, and only hoped Quiethawk would see. Points or not, they were Windclan cats, and it was Whisperinghowl’s turn to set an impressive example.

Tallpaw watched his mentor creep away, her dark pelt close to the ground, as he watched, taking in details. His green eyes took in her stance and stamina, as he related to her, yet learned from her. As soon as Whisperinghowl’s black pelt slunk into the grasses, disappearing, the apprentice almost didn’t even notice Nightpaw slip away. The tabby tom began to think for a moment, as he felt alone. Tallpaw gulped, knowing it was his turn coming up, to just catch his first piece. He felt like he was so behind, and Quiethawk’s words reminded him, but he pushed them away, lifting his head. The Windclan apprentice gave his chest a quick, lick and while his mentor was still hunting, he ran over what he was going to do, and how. Parting his jaws for the taste and scent of prey, he straightened his ears, lifting his head a bit higher. The smells and aromas of the grassy fields flooded his nostrils, including the scent of his clanmates. But  prey was alive, and active, yet Tallpaw couldn’t pinpoint an animal directly yet. Even though he was still working on it, it seemed he could smell the air for hundreds of foxlengths. The gentle fragrances of Windclan comforted him, and maybe the excellent weather conditions would help his hunt. blinking back to reality, Tallpaw swallowed his fluttering nervousness, putting on again a determined face. You got this, and you have to show them what you got. He thought, just as Whisperinghowl padded back to them triumphantly.

He grinned, somewhat victoriously, as the black warrior declared the first ‘point’ for themselves. Yes! See that Quiethawk? Flicking his ears proudly, he took in Whisperinghowl’s faintly blood-stained muzzle, and her tousled pelt. Must have been something big. Tallpaw grinned inwardly, smugly musing, Bigger than a mouse too. His silent pondering was interrupted as Whisperinghowl rotated to face him. As her next encouraging words made his heart lift. “I will. I’ll do the best I can.” He assured her, showing a brief nod of courage.

As Tallpaw felt eyes on him, he crept away, but keeping his nose up, tasting the air with open jaws. This is your chance. After a moment the scent of a thrush, some fox lengths away. Remembering to keep his head and haunches down, Tallpaw lowered himself, following his path to his prey. Silently thanking Starclan that he was luckily downwind of the oblivious bird, he glided forward, placing one paw in front of the other. As he neared, he calmed himself, and stayed alert, not blinking, his heart hammered and he was slightly wondering if the bird would heart it. Tallpaw then pushed between a small clump of grasses, and they parted to reveal a good sized thrush, facing away from him, pecking at the ground. It was neither big nor small, as the prey size was in the middle. But the tom was proud of himself, as he slid forward, perfectly silent, praying he wouldn’t step on a leaf or something. Heart thudding, Tallpaw crept forward, his tail straight behind him, and he advanced on the bird, it’s small beak creating holes in the earth, unaware of the predator behind it. As soon as the tabby apprentice was close, he leapt with all his strength, kicking out with his hind legs. But he somewhat ungracefully landed on the alarmed and terrified thrush, accidentally crushing it under his body. Hearing a small snap, Tallpaw gasped, and flashed to his paws, recovered from his small tumble. And at his paws was the thrush, already killed. Sudden pride and gratification swelled in his chest, as he stared at it. There Quiethawk! Two points! he chided mentally, quickly burying his kill, to his best advantage.

Soon, Tallpaw pranced back to the small group of cats, his head a little higher. Once at Whisperinghowl’s side, his eyes gleamed. “I caught a thrush!” The tabby cat announced, puffing his chest a little. “My crouch was good I think, but I actually fell on it sort of..” He shrugged, laughing a little. “And I buried it over there.” Tallpaw motioned with his tail. “Two points for us.” He murmured, loud enough for his clanmates to hear. Even though he wasn’t known to be overly competitive, his natural instincts were kicking in, as he was getting into his game, and Tallpaw hoped they would last. So far, things were going well.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Olive.
    Pheebs
    Participant

Quiethawk eyed both Whisperinghowl and Tallpaw with consideration, watching them hunt with a stoic expression fixed in place. His own apprentice had injured herself, he’d been quick to notice, and while her catch was good her getting injured was not. For now, Quiethawk wouldn’t comment on it, but if he saw her limp or stumble out of place at all he would be sure to draw attention to it. Nightpaw was, after all, an apprentice and more importantly his apprentice, and if she was hurt that was on him to deal with.

“So your apprentice can hunt,” the tom meowed, a grin forming along his face. If Eveningstorm were here he’d be able to interpret Quiet’s smile as the sign of laughter that it was, but as he wasn’t here there was no other indication that Quiethawk was having fun. “We’ve got four points, now.” The grey-brown tabby commented lazily, smirking and nodding towards where Nightpaw had finished up another kill. Moving in one swift, fluid motion the warrior traveled from Whisperinghowl’s side to his apprentice’s.

“That paw okay?” The warrior asked softly, brilliant yellow eyes scouring the moorlands in search of prey. “There’s a line between weakness and idiocy. If your paw starts to hurt too much you take a break- you aren’t an idiot and I expect you to be self-aware enough not to push yourself too far.” Which was ironic and hypocritical, what with his own track record of getting himself hurt. Startledcrow could probably account Quiet’s medical history from memory, and the fact that Quiethawk was in medical more often than not wasn’t lost on most warriors.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Pheebs.
    Roach
    Participant

Dandelion GIFs | Tenor

Whisperinghowl

Her apricot eyes glistening in amusement as her apprentice practically skipped back to her side after an impressive kill of a thrush on his part. She had been carefully observing his technique and mentally making notes on where he needs to improve and where she needed to start on correcting his mistakes. Course the young apprentice still needed some work, but she was pleasantly surprised that he kept going even when he had a little slip up, it told her that he had the fire within to want to learn and to show others that he should not be over looked. Humming in silent praise before sparing Quiethawk a glance as she hears his quiet comment. Laughter bubbling within as she grins at his dry sense of humor, “It would seem that he indeed can hunt, surprised me as well” she jokes as she lightly flicks her thick feathered tail again Tallpaw’s side. “Why don’t you continue on. Don’t want that them winning now do ya?” she prompts him as she gestures in the general direction of the other two felines. Following slowly and carefully after them, her paper thin ears swirling in ever direction as she listens intently to her surroundings. Faint whisperings of the wind filling the serene silence could be heard in her sensitive ears. Her obsidian and pearl white pelt ruffling in the breeze, coping the tall dry grass that surrounds them in an unknown majestic dance of nature.

Snapping out of her inner thoughts as she hears Quiethawk’s not so quiet voice as he cautions Nightpaw to be more careful and aware of herself and surroundings. Scoffing as she found him completely contraindicating himself, as it was well known that he was a frequent visitor to the medicine den, and no not just for a friendly visit mind you, more as a patient. “Maybe you should heed your own words. I am sure I saw you not even a moon ago in the medicine den being tended to by Startledcrow” she chastised with a tsk. Though she agreed with his words, she just hated how harsh he could be with Nightpaw, but it seemed that the dark apprentice did not seem to mind his brash words. Maybe that is exactly why Quiethawk was given her as an apprentice. Her warm gaze landing on the Nightpaw, regarding her for a moment, noticing that her emotions and personality were very subdued. “You need to pace yourself. Quiethawk and I have been training and hunting for a long while, we have honed our skills, stamina, and physicality. If you don’t want to continue to injure yourself, you need to slowly build up muscle and allow your instincts to flow more freely. Takes time and patience, that’s what Quiethawk is here for, and what I am here for” her last words are directed toward Tallpaw, letting him know that her words were for him as much as Nightpaw.

With that she pads away, her tail swaying contentedly behind her in fluid movements. Furrowing her brows as she glances around, she was in the mood to let off some pent up energy and she knew just exactly how to do so. Ears twitching forward as she scouts for a familiar dusty brown pelt of a rabbit, lightly panting as she takes in the scents around her while keeping her eyes open on the look-out. Brightening up at the distinctive musty soil aroma catching her attention. Easily disappearing into the fields, tracking the invisible tracks of her target, feathery white whiskers quivering at the soft vibrations of the unsuspected rabbit scurrying about within the tall field of greenish yellow grass. Excitement bubbling within her as she could tell that she was getting closer and closer to the little creature. Making sure to remain hidden and down wind as she prowls further into the thickened foliage, her pelt lightly brushing against brambles and varies of plants, but her movements being so light and graceful that the sounds could easily be mistaken as the wind causing the noise. Orange eyes peeking through the grass as she spots the dusty brown rabbit casually chewing away at the grass without a care in the world.

Wrinkling her nose as she could never understand what rabbits and other animals found so appealing to eating grass, disgusting. Once she was in the most strategic place within the field, she purposely steps on a dry brittle bramble, letting the crack echo around her. Watching in amusement as the rabbit stills, its long ears perking up in attention, now becoming cautious of danger. As if now sensing her the quick bugger dashes off, grinning as she is quick to follow, in swift fluid movements she is off in pursuit. Her sharp claws digging into the soiled earth, anchoring herself as she makes sharp turns after the speedy little devil. Heart thundering in her chest, Whisperinghowl has always been a sucker for the chase, it always gave her a thrill when catching a rabbit in full sprint. Her piercing orange gaze never leaving the brown figure in-front of her, lowering her form slightly, letting the breeze cut easier past her form, not giving her more resistance as she gains speed. Muscles tensing and flexing within her graceful and precise movements, putting all her weight into her hind legs as she calculates the rabbits next destination, leaping into the air, her front paws out in-front of her, letting her claws hook into it’s mid back before forcing the squirming animal backwards. Huffing as she tucks herself easily around it as she rolls to a stop, keeping a strong grip on her prey at all times. Teeth sinking into its throat, applying the right amount of pressure to its windpipe, keeping her hold until she feels the squirming come to a stop as it takes its last breath. Unlatching her jaw as she releases the limp rabbit, blood staining her teeth, rough salmon pink tongue running over her sharp fangs. “That was fun!” she muses in delight.

Shy
    Participant
    Nightpaw
    Apprentice of Windclan

A shiver moved through her at the softness of his voice, nearly flinching when she realized how fast he’d gotten to her. She stared at him for a moment. Nightpaw knew he was vigilant but she had honestly hoped he was too busy bickering with the others to catch that. “Yes,” her voice was hesitant, and then she quickly added “It’s not bad, though. I just missed my footing.” A simple mistake, yet it made her ears burn with embarrassment, especially when Whisperinghowl joined in to lecture her. Thankfully she was much nicer about it. The blunt finality in her mentor’s tone and the iciness of his gaze made her feel uneasy. Turning to Quiethawk, she met his gaze more confidently this time. “Don’t worry,” she gave him a reassuring smile, realizing he was only worried for her and being hard on her as a result. “I won’t push myself too far— but if we’re practicing battle techniques, I feel like this will be a good chance to see how well I can do with a small injury,” she pointed out to them both, shifting her weight away from her sore paw. “From what I saw of the warriors returning home, they sustain a lot of injuries during fights. I’m assuming they have to push through it until they can’t anymore.” As if recalling the event in her mind, her eyes grew with intensity and determination. “One day it’ll be me fighting for our clan, and I need to be able to push through the pain, as well.”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums WindClan WindClan Territory Rolling Moors Another Day In Paradise