An Unlikely Encounter

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory An Unlikely Encounter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tori
    Participant

It was fairly late in the evening, the nearly full circle of the moon lay high above her in Silverpelt’s hunting grounds. Wisteriastar was out in RiverClan territory, taking a late night stroll all by her lonesome. It wasn’t unusual for the RiverClan leader to be out at night by herself, she had often preferred the night and its silence compared to the busy hum that was her now daily life. However, she usually had the company of her now late mate, Brightfoot. A pang of grief stabbed at her chest. He was now the second mate she had lost, whom had left her behind to join StarClan’s hunting grounds.

Being out at night by herself now was more lonely than she would like to admit. But the calico warrior was a stubborn she-cat and she refused to let herself look back. Brightfoot’s death was something she could not prevent and while she missed him dearly, she wouldn’t let herself be weighed down by guilt towards his death. The scent of ThunderClan invaded her and she looked upwards, suddenly highly alert for the trace of a ThunderClan cat present inside her borders. It was then that she realized that she had strayed farther from her camp than she had originally intended. Her orange eyes blinked, surprised to find herself nearly standing atop the border itself.

Wisteriastar’s pelt burned hot in embarrassment at her lack of attention to her surroundings. She wasn’t typically the type to get lost in her own thoughts. Thankfully though, none of her clanmates were present with her to witness such a careless act. Giving a sigh of what could be perceived as relief, the RiverClan leader stepped cautiously away from the border.

Tyler
    Participant

The hunt for the large bird was going, well, nowhere currently. Kass had searched for the strange soil-scented bird’s trail and had found it somewhere deep into the forest, latching onto the scent like a lifeline. That’d been yesterday. She’d followed the scent trail to the border between ThunderClan and Riverclan before she’d decided she’d wandered far enough from the clan that she could finally breathe. From there she’d began training, anything to get her brain off of the clan and the events of the gathering.

Sometimes when she closed her eyes she could picture her first round of trials with the Foundation. It was so vivid, the memory, she and her “brother” doused in blood that was definitely not their own, as bait for the creatures of the forest. It’d taken hours, Kass, almost blinded by the strong metallic scent filling her nostrils, and Sebastian, ever the tactical tom, trying to plan out their next phase in making the task go faster. They were growing restless.

A distraction could work, she remembers her brother saying before instantly growing sheepish at the idea. He didn’t want to hurt her, he would tell her after and she knew it, but it still hurt being thrown to the wolves like a piece of meat by the same tom she’d known since she was a mere kit sitting in the darkness of a closed dumpster. Unafraid of a little scrape, Kass was no sooner yowling in the middle of the forest with blood running from just below her right ear and down her cheek. Sebastian safe in a tree somewhere above.

It hadn’t taken much longer then when their chosen threat had appeared, but what had approached wasn’t a badger or hawk, but a fully grown coyote!

When Kass opened her eyes again she was covered from head to tail in splattered blood, except this time she was in the tree and peering over the RiverClan border. She couldn’t even begin to think about how long she’d woken up to nightmares about the trials. She supposed Hawkpaw would be on track to begin his trials soon, although she probably wouldn’t begin with something so severe so soon. He talked a big talk, but she didn’t think he had the heart for it yet.

When a shift from the metallic cloud surrounding her entered her nose, something more salty instead, she peered down from the branch she was perched on to see no other than Wisteriastar hovering around the border as if it would burn her if she crossed it. The ThunderClan deputy couldn’t help but chuckle, how predictable. With no flourish or show of her presence, Kass dropped from the branch into Wisteriastar’s line of view. “Y’know its’ just an imaginary line right? It won’t burn you or anything if you cross it,” the deputy teased lightly in lieu of greeting her accent warm and unthreatening, tilting her head to the side bemusedly.

Tori
    Participant

Kass’s sudden appearance admittedly startled her somewhat, as she clearly had not expected to be surprised by a cat jumping down from the branches of the trees above her. As the ThunderClan deputy teased her about not wanting to cross the ThunderClan border, despite the warm tone the dilute calico used with her, Wisteriastar was not as amused. Her orange eyes rolled instead. “Disregarding what you may think, borders are important land between the Clans and are not to be crossed except for the most extreme of emergencies.” She gave a flick of her tail, “Borders keep the peace between the five of us in tact, so that none of us fight over territory anymore. But I’m sure that Hollystar has already explained all of this to you and that you don’t really need to be educated from a stranger.” 

But instead of turning her back and leaving, Wisteriastar sat down on the RiverClan side of the border and wrapped her tail elegantly around her paws. “Honestly, I’m surprised that you’re allowed out of camp now, what with the stunt you pulled at the gathering. I thought for sure that Hollystar would have kept you on a tight leash.” Although her words may have been harsh, the leader’s tone was smooth and even, not giving away whatever her intentions may be as she spoke to Kass. Her amber eyes watched the rogue-turned deputy calmly, untelling of whether or not she had picked up on the previous nightmare that had ruffled her moments before.

Tyler
    Participant

Kass snorted at the accusation that Hollystar had the power to keep her anywhere she didn’t want to be. “She and I share a den, if she wanted to punish me she’d just as much punish herself that way. I can be awfully annoying when I want to be.” She wiggled her kitty-brows in a suggestion, eyes light and unweighted from her past nightmares, like a switch had been flipped in her brain all of a sudden.

“Its’ pretty cold out for a nighttime stroll don’t you think?” the air had turned cold in a matter of days in the forest. The first snowfall was eminent, only a matter of time before activity ceased in the clans for a pseudo hibernation of sorts. “Sort of.. lonely.” Of course, Kass too had been out in the cold as well, all alone. A vigil for an old life, she supposed, or perhaps she was supposed to meet Wisteriastar here. The she-cat dropped her façade for a moment, frowning at the thought.

“So they tell me you grew up in the Outskirts, huh? All that freedom and you chose.. this?”

Tori
    Participant

Wisteriastar chuckled aloud at Kass’s response to her taunting. “Of course, I’m sure you can be.” She nodded in acknowledgement, the amusement glimmering in her orange eyes showing as she spoke. When the rogue began to speak of the cold and the quiet of the outside range of their territories, the RiverClan feline’s expression of amusement fell and she took a closer glance at the ThunderClan warrior. Kass didn’t seem like the type of cat to think of loneliness or solitude in itself, Wisteriastar had figured that she was used to being alone and that the lack of companionship wasn’t something she had ever really thought of. Though, she herself had admittedly been feeling such a thing as of late, with the death of her second mate having occurred recently due to the storm, after all.

However, such a thought process was interrupted when Kass asked her of her previous life in the Outskirts, catching her somewhat off-guard. Of course, it wasn’t exactly exclusive knowledge that the RiverClan leader had been rogue borne herself, but it was honestly the last thing she ever expected ThunderClan’s new deputy to ask her about. “Hm, well…” She paused for a moment as she thought of her past life as a rogue, “My life in the Outskirts wasn’t necessarily one of freedom. It was more like… One of watching my back every second whether my eyes were open or not and praying that I had the strength to survive another day.” Her tattered ears twitched in thoughtfulness as her amber gaze drifted off to the scenery around her, as if she were lost in her memories. “I much prefer my life here in RiverClan, where I know that I’m strong enough to protect the ones I love.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums RiverClam RiverClan Territory An Unlikely Encounter